Thread: Theory for the offseason - QB's & Rex

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Theory for the offseason - QB's & Rex

No NFL head coach has proceeded over 3 rookie starting QB's over the same team in less than 6 years. If the Jets decide to move on from the Geno era and select a QB in the first 2 rounds of the NFL draft I suspect that head coach Rex Ryan will be shown the door. And if you think about what that means for this teams defense and continuity, well that just sucks. If Rex leaves, there is a pretty good chance that the new HC will want his own staff which would probably mean the end for MM. That factor alone is enough for me to puke as I think MM is one of the best QB groomers and OC's in the league. If you add that Rex is considered by many GM's and media as the best DC in the league we would essentially move on from two of the best coordinators in the NFL at the same time. I also believe continuity at the HC spot is needed to stabilize a franchise. Moving on from Rex will mean hiring a HC for the 5th time in 13 seasons. That's a 2 1/2 season average for each coach, which sucks for stability and continuity.

Moving on from Geno may in fact be a good move if he doesn't show the steady improvement some of the better young QB's have shown over the last 2 years. Luck and Wilson have improved almost each game in the NFL. While that may be hard to expect from our QB, the reality of the NFL is that these kids need to mature and produce fast. Our offense clearly needs an overhaul of talent, everyone in the league knows that. But if we fire Rex and move own the cost may dwindle down the line. Hypothetically speaking, imagine for a second that we fire Rex. He moves on and gets an HC job at say the Jaguars. The Jaguars need talent in a big way especially at QB so the select a QB in the first round of the 14 draft. Then they trade they're second round pick to the Bucs for Revis. So now the Jaguars have a new rookie QB like Bridgwater and Revis to control the back end of their secondary. What's next? Well in 2015 Wilkerson will be a RFA, we tag him at the highest tender. And the Jags make a massive push to obtain what will then be the best all around DL in the game. The trade their overall first and third rounder plus the 2016 1st rounder to get him. Why would Wilkerson and or the Jets be willing to let him go you ask? Well, NFL teams have only but so much leverage in Restricted Free Agency...you can tag a player but the player has to 1) sign and two be willing to extend. Sure you can tag him, but at the average salary of the top 5 players at his position. Which for DL it's probably in the 13-15 million range. If Wilkerson wants to play for the coach that drafted him, guess what? He will make sure to demand way more than the Jets expect and force them to make a move. Every team in the league has probably gone through this at some point. Players do have some leverage.

While this scenario may be a tiny bit far fetched, we may extend Wilkerson this offseason making 2015 offseason mute. But if we fire Rex, I can see more than one player moving on with him at some point. At that would be a shame considering the talent of our defensive front. And while being a Jet fan over the course of my life has been bad for my heart, I think seeing Rex go and wondering what players will follow could be a bit much to digest.

This post is more about what decisions the FO has to make and the ramifications of moving on from Geno than it is a post of keeping Rex. Geno has not shown enough thus far to decide to go into the offseason without picking a new QB via the draft or trade. But with 6 games to go Geno can definitely seize the moment and show his ability to improve and secure his spot as the next franchise QB of the NYJ. I'm on the fence as to whether or not he actually can or will do so. I think I'm on record as saying that he has all the tools and ability both physically and mentally. But a lot NFL QB's have the same ability and mental makeup, not all of them are current players or NFL franchise QB's. 6 games left will see. As Geno goes, so does Rex.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Itdzik will get rid of everyone. You can't have people buy into a philosophy with leftovers from a system that did not succeed. Rex has Sh!tty forced on him, he picked Sporano. MM was idziks move, Rex had to go along. Rex had his shot, and is not the one to take the jets to the promise land.

Rex is the problem, but everyone has so much man love and are still living on the memories of his first two seasons. This is Rex's team. He's been here for 5 drafts, 5 pre seasons and this team is just not that good, actually it has less talent than when he took over. This team can't rebuild or go to the next level with these coaches. It's over.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by srobjets View Post
    Itdzik will get rid of everyone. You can't have people buy into a philosophy with leftovers from a system that did not succeed. Rex has Sh!tty forced on him, he picked Sporano. MM was idziks move, Rex had to go along. Rex had his shot, and is not the one to take the jets to the promise land.

Rex is the problem, but everyone has so much man love and are still living on the memories of his first two seasons. This is Rex's team. He's been here for 5 drafts, 5 pre seasons and this team is just not that good, actually it has less talent than when he took over. This team can't rebuild or go to the next level with these coaches. It's over.
    Please Stop. MM was hired by Rex. This was before Woody hired Idzik. Hate the man all you want but get your facts straight.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    exactly right. Rex was involved in a car accident in Bethlehem PA on the way to meet with MM
    Quote Originally Posted by carlito1171 View Post
    Please Stop. MM was hired by Rex. This was before Woody hired Idzik. Hate the man all you want but get your facts straight.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

MM was hired after Tanny was fired and a month before Idzik was hired. get your facts straight.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GenoT View Post
    MM was hired after Tanny was fired and a month before Idzik was hired. get your facts straight.
    Rex-haters don't need facts... they've got wrgarhble!!!!! on their side.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GenoT View Post
    You may want to do the same. Marty and Idzik were hired the same day.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Are you sure?????

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    jan 20, 2013. Your right. i think though the decision was made on MM, before Idzik's 2nd interview.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    The problem with this theory is a decision on next years coach will be decided long before the draft. You never know how the draft will fall. If Rex is still here and a Qb is there that we like then I believe they will take him. Idzik has already proven they draft based on their board and value. If a Qb is the best guy left, much like Geno was, then we take him. All depends on draft grades.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

As Woody stated in the off season the GM will pick the players and the HC(Rex) will pick the coaches

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rex hired Marty.
    Sorry some of you clowns don't like facts... Especially the WHORE OP.

Edit: sorry, thought that was Brick CITY Manshlt.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am not sure our defense would not be just as good with another coach in a 4-3 scheme. We have the players that fit and a LOT of talent

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jets31 View Post
    As Woody stated in the off season the GM will pick the players and the HC(Rex) will pick the coaches
    And wh hires the head coach? The gm.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Todd Bowles for H. C. anyone? Graves connection.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    And wh hires the head coach? The gm.
    What is your point?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitman Harris View Post
    Rex hired Marty.
    Sorry some of you clowns don't like facts... Especially the WHORE OP.

Edit: sorry, thought that was Brick CITY Manshlt.
    There was no GM at that point in time , is it entirely unfathomable to think that any move Rex was contemplating during this time was going right up through Woody.

Can envision a conversation as such , Woody: Hey Rex we just got rid of MT, fired Sparano , dumped Tebow. I like you but your on a short leash , what are you going to do to fix the joke of an offense we had last year, we really took a major publicity hit last year and we need to fix that ASAP.

Rex: Umm Umm don't worry Mr Johnson , I'll fix that offense, we'll bring in the best OC we can find.