Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Want to get something clear about the offense.

Want to get something clear about the offense.

People are saying that Rex's conservative play is hurting Geno and is leading to his turnovers and bad play. I kind of get the first part of that argument, but the second is one that I am not sure on. Care to help me out?

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    People are saying that Rex's conservative play is hurting Geno and is leading to his turnovers and bad play. I kind of get the first part of that argument, but the second is one that I am not sure on. Care to help me out?
    The argument is that being conservative on 1st and 2nd down leads us into 3rd and long and that's a lot to put on Geno's plate. I'm not sure if it's necessarily true.....(not the too much on the plate part, the fact that it's causing Geno's turnovers)

Quote Originally Posted by carlito1171 View Post
    The argument is that being conservative on 1st and 2nd down leads us into 3rd and long and that's a lot to put on Geno's plate. I'm not sure if it's necessarily true.....(not the too much on the plate part, the fact that it's causing Geno's turnovers)
    Okay that kind of makes sense, but if Geno could make some of those passes, it would probably lead to more passes for him.

they have a good offensive line...gonna start with the run...i don't see a problem with that...

1) Being conservative on 1st down especially leads to 2nd or 3rd and long thus pressure to make that play, leading to a turnover.
    2) When corners and safeties and even LB's have no fear of big plays they sit on jump all over the supposedly safe short passing game. We saw this 1st hand the last few years with Sanchez, no deep plays, every short pass he was throwing the other team was all over.
    3) Successful 1st downs after a loss are way down over a moderated gain. Hand off into the line and lose 2 years and you are pooched.

The best friend of a young Qb and offense is to create a more big plays or at least functionally long 1st down plays in a game. The DB's back off. The pass rush may be lessened if you are 2nd a 4 as opposed to 2nd and 10-12.

I have seen a lot of the same sh!t play calling in the last few games I saw with Shotty and it is frustrating me to no end, run 1st and 2nd and try to pick up 1st down on 3rd, be it long or short yardage, we throw the ball, then 3rd and 18 and we run. I am about to put my foot through the wall sitting her typing it. Issue hear is I don't find this to be Rex, MM is calling the plays. I think Rex gives a guide line, a thought of what he wants to see and MM calls it trying to stay within that window. I don't want to take away from MM because he is better then anything we have had by a mile, I just hate the predictable BS. If you run on 1&2 every play of course you are not going to be able to pas on 3rd.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by leftturn3 View Post
    I have seen a lot of the same sh!t play calling in the last few games I saw with Shotty and it is frustrating me to no end, run 1st and 2nd and try to pick up 1st down on 3rd, be it long or short yardage, we throw the ball, then 3rd and 18 and we run. I am about to put my foot through the wall sitting her typing it. Issue hear is I don't find this to be Rex, MM is calling the plays. I think Rex gives a guide line, a thought of what he wants to see and MM calls it trying to stay within that window. I don't want to take away from MM because he is better then anything we have had by a mile, I just hate the predictable BS. If you run on 1&2 every play of course you are not going to be able to pas on 3rd.
    I agree yet we have more pass plays then run plays so far this year so going by your theory shouldn't run plays be 2/3 of the plays??

Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    I agree yet we have more pass plays then run plays so far this year so going by your theory shouldn't run plays be 2/3 of the plays??
    I thought we threw the ball a lot in the beginning of the season?
    What has been the pass to run ratio in the last 5 games?

Rex...that is the reason. Buc stops with him. In the start of season, there were no restrictions. Once Geno started fumbling intercepts, the noose tightened. Same exact thing with Mark Sanchez. Only constant here is Rex Ryan. Different OCs, same head coach. I blame it all on REX.

If you guys think that Rex has anything to do with this year's offense (outside of going for it on 4th or not) then you guys are lost and just willing to do anything to pin blame on him.

This is Marty's offense. It's been that way from the start.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by jetster View Post
    I thought we threw the ball a lot in the beginning of the season?
    What has been the pass to run ratio in the last 5 games?
    Thanks to the Saints game(52 rushes) the pass plays were 153 and the run plays 155..

Thanks to the Saints game(52 rushes) the pass plays were 153 and the run plays 155..
    So actually the stats show that the offense has been balanced.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    If you guys think that Rex has anything to do with this year's offense (outside of going for it on 4th or not) then you guys are lost and just willing to do anything to pin blame on him.

This is Marty's offense. It's been that way from the start.
    This, but don't expect idiots to understand.
    I'm still convinced they are either loser Giants fans or Pasts* fans masquerading as Jet fans.

Just for the record Marty's gets all the credit for calling smart running plays to lead O past rob Ryan's tough D.. Now when the run doesn't work out it's definitely because Rex is standing next to Marty whispering " if you don't call power sweep here with ivory I'm gonna hit you in the face twice as hard as my dad punched Kevin gilbride"

Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    1) Being conservative on 1st down especially leads to 2nd or 3rd and long thus pressure to make that play, leading to a turnover.
    2) When corners and safeties and even LB's have no fear of big plays they sit on jump all over the supposedly safe short passing game. We saw this 1st hand the last few years with Sanchez, no deep plays, every short pass he was throwing the other team was all over.
    3) Successful 1st downs after a loss are way down over a moderated gain. Hand off into the line and lose 2 years and you are pooched.

The best friend of a young Qb and offense is to create a more big plays or at least functionally long 1st down plays in a game. The DB's back off. The pass rush may be lessened if you are 2nd a 4 as opposed to 2nd and 10-12.
    Here's the problem with that theory (Note: these are in reference to 14 ints thrown when the games was either in the first half, or 2nd half and down by 21 or less)
    5 of Geno Smiths INTs were thrown on first down
    of his 7 2nd down INTs one was on 2nd and 5 (off a run) one was on 2nd and 7 (off a run) and 5 were off 2nd and long (3 runs/2 inc pass)
    of his 2 3rd down INTs one was on 3rd and 4 (inc pass and 6 yard run) one was on 3rd and 5 (inc pass and 5 yard run)

- I didn't bother with INTs in games where the Jets were already down 21+ points.

Which means, of the 14 relevent INTs Geno Smith has thrown, 4 were arguably because the Jets were "conservative" ( 2nd/3rd and long situations because of running the ball).

Geno's problems are a function of the fact that college passing is lot simpler than NFL. Especially at WVU where he had a lot of time to throw in the spread offense.

Quote Originally Posted by Batmans A Scientist View Post
    Here's the problem with that theory (Note: these are in reference to 14 ints thrown when the games was either in the first half, or 2nd half and down by 21 or less)
    5 of Geno Smiths INTs were thrown on first down
    of his 7 2nd down INTs one was on 2nd and 5 (off a run) one was on 2nd and 7 (off a run) and 5 were off 2nd and long (3 runs/2 inc pass)
    of his 2 3rd down INTs one was on 3rd and 4 (inc pass and 6 yard run) one was on 3rd and 5 (inc pass and 5 yard run)

- I didn't bother with INTs in games where the Jets were already down 21+ points.

Which means, of the 14 relevent INTs Geno Smith has thrown, 4 were arguably because the Jets were "conservative" ( 2nd/3rd and long situations because of running the ball).
    The three pics last game:

False Start
    2 yard run
    Int

-3 yard run
    Int

short pass incomplete
    Int

Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    So actually the stats show that the offense has been balanced.
    They were well behind in games against Tenn, Cinn & Buff which results in many more pass plays.

All Pro
    SO ive been laying a lil low this past week, but i HAVE tried to scan the board here and there.

Is anybody giving the Oline a fit for their performance last week?

Personally, im hesitant to use the "o-line" excuse, but in regards to last weeks game exclusively, i thought they absolutely SUCKED.
    Sure, Genos play was horrid as well, but i cant blame, excuse, nor evaluate Genos performance after what i saw the O line put on the field last Sunday.

That was possibly the worst pass blocking game I have seen the Jets put down since the Sanchez Debacle Versus Baltimore 2 years ago.
    Actually, i consider the O lines performance on Sunday worse than that Baltimore game.

Im not giving Geno a pass, but imo, the blame lies 90% at the feet of the O lines performance last week.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by sdJETSetter View Post
    SO ive been laying a lil low this past week, but i HAVE tried to scan the board here and there.

Is anybody giving the Oline a fit for their performance last week?

Personally, im hesitant to use the "o-line" excuse, but in regards to last weeks game exclusively, i thought they absolutely SUCKED.
    Sure, Genos play was horrid as well, but i cant blame, excuse, nor evaluate Genos performance after what i saw the O line put on the field last Sunday.

That was possibly the worst pass blocking game I have seen the Jets put down since the Sanchez Debacle Versus Baltimore 2 years ago.
    Actually, i consider the O lines performance on Sunday worse than that Baltimore game.

Im not giving Geno a pass, but imo, the blame lies 90% at the feet of the O lines performance last week.
    I said something in a thread somewhere, don't remember exactly, about the O-line sucking ass. A few people have noticed but most are blaming Geno and/or Rex.