Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 2014- Sign a vet perhaps Cutler, and draft a QB

Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    No, committing to Cutler longterm at an average of $18-20 million a season would be asinine.

The guy has been incredibly inconsistent his entire career. One minute he looks like the second coming of Favre and then a game later the second coming of Jeff George. Not to mention the nagging injuries he's had the past few years.

It wouldn't shock me in the least if the Bears decide to let Cutler walk and commit to McCown in the short term and draft a QB in the mid-rounds to develop.
    Cutler has been good to very good his entire career in the NFL. I guess that's what you mean by inconsistent. Yes, he's a diva like Brett Favre but he's still physically in his prime.

NFL is a QB-driven league now more than ever. QB is the one position where you better spend money and I'd rather spend it on someone who I know is already good and will be good the next 5 years than some unproven guy in college who could be the next in a long line of Jets bust draft picks.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    The reason Cutler will be available is he is going to be asking for way more then he is worth. I've said it in other threads unless Chicago is willing to make him the next 18+ mil man he is hitting FA. You have seen JAGS getting around 10 mil a year. Guys like Flynn and Kolb who didnt prove half as much as Cutler has. He is still young so if just one GM thinks he is good enough to win a SB your talking someone will offer him 16 mil a year. I hope we dont bid on him. Let him end up in like Cleveland or Oakland at that price. If he signs for under 14 mil a year he should find a new agent.
    Raiders aren't signing Jay Cutler( 31 years old) to a big time contract. The most likely scenario they sign Josh Freeman( had his best season with Raiders OC (knows the system) and the price tag isn't going to be any where close to Cutler. Than you have Josh freeman, T Pryor, Matt McGloin , and Tyler Wilson all competing for the starting job.

Quote Originally Posted by Raider9175 View Post
    Raiders aren't signing Jay Cutler( 31 years old) to a big time contract. The most likely scenario they sign Josh Freeman( had his best season with Raiders OC (knows the system) and the price tag isn't going to be any where close to Cutler. Than you have Josh freeman, T Pryor, Matt McGloin , and Tyler Wilson all competing for the starting job.
    Im rooting for McGloin to be honest. I dont think you draft a QB next year but I do think you sign a vet. You have the money to throw away is all. I could see Freeman as well. Oakland will be building from ground up this off season it should be interesting to see how they do it. You could easily build a good team around him in one year with the cap and a full draft.

Practice Squad

Any veteran not named Mark Sanchez (or Tim Tebow)...

Jets Insider VIP
    Cutler is an option. You'll see

Funny I wanted Cutler back in '09 when the Broncos were first looking to trade him.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    Im rooting for McGloin to be honest. I dont think you draft a QB next year but I do think you sign a vet. You have the money to throw away is all. I could see Freeman as well. Oakland will be building from ground up this off season it should be interesting to see how they do it. You could easily build a good team around him in one year with the cap and a full draft.
    The Raiders despite their cap next year aren't going to be big spenders in Fa(maybe sign one big name player). They will try to sign their own Fa's and this team will be built largely through the draft.

I would still like to see T Pryor start behind the Oline they are putting out there now. (best oline they have had) These last four games I would like to see both Qb's play a half.(T Pryor and MCGloin- not ideal thing to do) Most important thing is trying to figure out this Qb situation.( thats why i'm treating these last four games like preseason games)

If we bring in a new QB, I would prefer signing an established vet rather then drafting another rookie. I really am sick of watching/young rookie QBs and there mistakes! In Rex's 5 years, he has never had an established QB.

All League
    Cutler would be the best option for the Jets. It's not like Bridgewater or Mariota would be there when we pick. Heck, it's doubtful that Manziel will be there after the top ten. So do we is a first rounder on the big kid from LSU or perhaps Carr from Fresno St? Then we go through yet another year of rookie mistakes?

Though I doubt Cutler will be available, if he was, it would cost us at least our first rounder and a huge contract to get him. Contract won't be an issue because we will have a ton of cap space.

What looks like it will be more of an option is Josh McCown. He is playing much better because he has been preparing more now than he has ever done in his career. It would require a much shorter and cheaper commitment than Cutler. Perhaps signing McCown, and drafting a QB in a later round and giving Geno and the rookie some time to sit and learn.

Otherwise, I don't see Rex surviving another up and down season if it were to happen next season.

Cutler has never thrown more picks than touchdowns. He would be Rex's first experienced QB. Cutler has made mistakes too but I feel he is ready to take it to the next level. Do we want to wait till Geno is ready to consistently run this offense? If he ever is ready it will be well after Mangold and Dbrick retire. I am tired of watching rookie projects run the NYJ offense.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Jet View Post
    Pretty sweet catch of the helmet, sign this beast!

Hall Of Fame
    Founding JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by BleedGnW View Post
    Philip Rivers.
    Wouldn't that b ironic.Him & Manning starting their carears together on the same NFL podium w that whole mess & here they could end their carears in the same building.

Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    Cutler has been good to very good his entire career in the NFL. I guess that's what you mean by inconsistent. Yes, he's a diva like Brett Favre but he's still physically in his prime.

NFL is a QB-driven league now more than ever. QB is the one position where you better spend money and I'd rather spend it on someone who I know is already good and will be good the next 5 years than some unproven guy in college who could be the next in a long line of Jets bust draft picks.
    Having cutler would be great or even Schaub who I think has a few years left. Should give you time to develop a contially test younger QB's to come in when he's done.

after another disappointing year, woody will need to sell a ton of upper deck tix, he will reach for johnny football way to early in the draft. that will keep us on the back pages after the draft.

Quote Originally Posted by fidelioion View Post
    Having cutler would be great or even Schaub who I think has a few years left. Should give you time to develop a contially test younger QB's to come in when he's done.
    Cutler is a no-brainer. If we can upgrade the secondary in the off-season we'll have a dominant defense + signing Cutler.

All League
    Cutler would not be a bad fit with the NY media, he would be a perfect fit. Cutler doesn't give two f**** what the media says or writes about him. He actually reminds me of Namath with his demeanor and personality.

That being said, Cutler isn't going anywhere. The Bears will franchise him, and Cutler will now accept it without question due to his injuries and he'll see if he can cash in long term after next year.

Quote Originally Posted by HawkeyeJet View Post
    Cutler would not be a bad fit with the NY media, he would be a perfect fit. Cutler doesn't give two f**** what the media says or writes about him. He actually reminds me of Namath with his demeanor and personality.

That being said, Cutler isn't going anywhere. The Bears will franchise him, and Cutler will now accept it without question due to his injuries and he'll see if he can cash in long term after next year.
    Yeah I don't see the Bears getting rid of Cutler either. They are probably looking at the Bulls across town with Derrick Rose's career probably over and thanking their lucky stars they at least have a franchise qb.