Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why is it impossible for Simms to succeed?

Why is it impossible for Simms to succeed?

In all our discussions re: Geno Smith and his somewhat abject failure thus far this season, the argument is consistently made by by Geno fans and critics alike, that "Simms isn't the answer but..."

So I have a question: why?

Why is it that you, personally, belive that Simms, son of Phil, brother of Chris, simply cannot succeed in the NFL if given an opportunity.

What about him as a player creates that belief? What criticism of what you've seen of him fosters that utter dislike, distrust?

Why is it that it's almost a given that Geno Smith, a 2nd rounder like Kellen Clemens, gets the respect of a Mark Sanchez (a top 6 pick) re: being benched even temporarily?

Why, even after seeing it happen in New England, are so many fans so dead set against seeing the backup QB play a bit when the #1 is clearly failing/faltering?

Why is "competition" just a catchphrase, a PR word, instead of a reality?

I'll be honest, I know almost nothing of Simms college career. If thats a factor, it's an unknown to me.

What I do know is what I've seen in preseason, practice and games thus far, which is a kid who looks (to me) to have at least the same potential as Geno Smith does.

So I'm curious, why would YOU, if YOU ran the Jets, not give Simms a chance?
    Last edited by Warfish; 11-25-2013 at 08:48 AM.

Hall Of Fame
    Carlito "knows". He has stated this knowledge as a fact in every single Geno Smith thread. Often multiple times.

Jets Insider VIP
    He is a Jets QB, right?

Simms has to be given a shot at this point, because for the past 2 weeks this team has not fielded a competitive NFL offense with Geno Smith as the leader.

The coaches see him in practice every day. I'm sure they have a sense for his capabilities.
    Last edited by fidelioion; 11-25-2013 at 09:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by fidelioion View Post
    The coaches see him in practice every day. I'm sure they has a sense for his capabilities.
    So then I guess GeNO is Montana at practice????????????????????

To me it looks like Geno lost his confidence. I see Simms as hungry and firey. I like the way he handled himself when he is on the field. I feel he has some mental toughness to him That Sanchez and Geno lack. With that being said, It appears he has a great arm and looked confident when he was out there. How he plays against a real time NFL defense is another story, especially with a defense like Miami's

I don't think he could be any worse than Geno - it's just a question of do they still have faith in Geno being the future, if they do I think you gotta keep playing him.

I don't buy the "you can make him worse" thing. Yes, he's a bit shell-shocked right now and playing his worst Football - but all of this will help him next year. This is long-term thinking.

Who cares what Simms is? Geno sucks right now. He's playing terribly. Since when are we suddenly so worried about an NFL player's feelings? You play like absolute garbage, you sit down. Next man up. In this case next man up is Simms. Doesn't mean Geno is done forever, but right now he needs to sit down and understand he's sitting because his play is not near good enough. Where was the regard for Milliner's feelings?

It isn't impossible for him to succeed, but it is unlikely to happen. With that said, the change needs to be made.

It's obvious to us now that the Jets are going no where this season and at this point, Geno is playing worse than Sanchez ever did.

If Sanchez could get benched for Greg McElroy, Geno can get benched for Simms...

Yes, he's a bit shell-shocked right now and playing his worst Football - but all of this will help him next year. This is long-term thinking.
    That is wishful thinking, just the sort Sanchez benefited from until 100% of the fan base was ready to commit harikari. Or kabbuke. I forget which one.

Quote Originally Posted by BigRy923 View Post
    If Sanchez could get benched for Greg McElroy, Geno can get benched for Simms...
    Great. Let's make sure we're mathematically eliminated from the post-season before seeing if we can do better.

All Pro
    I don't think he could be any worse than Geno - it's just a question of do they still have faith in Geno being the future, if they do I think you gotta keep playing him.

I don't buy the "you can make him worse" thing. Yes, he's a bit shell-shocked right now and playing his worst Football - but all of this will help him next year. This is long-term thinking.
    I think this is the whole point of Warfish's comment It about competition. It just seems to be a taboo concept in the NFL to monkey with the QB position, and maybe this is a mindset that needs to change. Back when Bellychuck switched permanently to Tom Brady, it was a breach of an unwritten rule so sacred, it rocked the NFL....starters don't lose their starting job because they are hurt. He doesn't make that move, the Patriots have no Super Bowls.
    So, why can't you pull a QB when they are not playing well? Why not actually groom two different QB's, who can be interchangeable when needed? You yank pitchers who are having bad games, you yank goalies. I don't want to hear about how the QB position is different. Its different only because nobody has tried it differently. I'm sure there were people scoffing at Bill Walsh when he brought the WCO into the NFL....how'd that turn out?

Quote Originally Posted by sackdance View Post
    Great. Let's make sure we're mathematically eliminated from the post-season before seeing if we can do better.
    1. Why? What does a theoretical fantasy playoff berth do for us?

2. Why not? Are you saying Geno Smith, as of right now, is in any form capable of leading us to a playoff berth anyway?

Why not "see if we can do better" because we really can't do much worse?

Why not "see if we can do better" and if we can't, if Simms IS materially worse than Smith, put Smith back in?

What is to be gained playing Smith who is completely subpar, in a quest for a postseason berth that is 99% fantasy at this point, knowing Smith is incappable of leading us there anyway?

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    1. Why? What does a theoretical fantasy playoff berth do for us?

2. Why not? Are you saying Geno Smith, as of right now, is in any form capable of leading us to a playoff berth anyway?

Why not "see if we can do better" because we really can't do much worse?

Why not "see if we can do better" and if we can't, if Simms IS materially worse than Smith, put Smith back in?

What is to be gained playing Smith who is completely subpar, in a quest for a postseason berth that is 99% fantasy at this point, knowing Smith is incappable of leading us there anyway?
    +1. How much worse will Simms be? Geno has thrown 1 TD and 10 picks in the last few games. As Lennon would (almost) say... All we are saying, is give Simms a chance...

Quote Originally Posted by LSJF View Post
    +1. How much worse will Simms be? Geno has thrown 1 TD and 10 picks in the last few games. As Lennon would (almost) say... All we are saying, is give Simms a chance...
    Exactly.

Lets be clear, I would bet that if we played Simms the rest of the season, he would not do worse than 1 TD vs. 10 INT's.

Quote Originally Posted by CanadaSteve View Post
    I think this is the whole point of Warfish's comment It about competition. It just seems to be a taboo concept in the NFL to monkey with the QB position, and maybe this is a mindset that needs to change. Back when Bellychuck switched permanently to Tom Brady, it was a breach of an unwritten rule so sacred, it rocked the NFL....starters don't lose their starting job because they are hurt. He doesn't make that move, the Patriots have no Super Bowls.
    So, why can't you pull a QB when they are not playing well? Why not actually groom two different QB's, who can be interchangeable when needed? You yank pitchers who are having bad games, you yank goalies. I don't want to hear about how the QB position is different. Its different only because nobody has tried it differently. I'm sure there were people scoffing at Bill Walsh when he brought the WCO into the NFL....how'd that turn out?
    First - Geno isn't hurt, so that analogy doesn't fit
    Second - You may not want to hear it's different but it is. It's fundamental to the sport - game planning is a major part of the NFL football game, one QB gets virtually all the practice snaps, the game plan is designed around his skill-set. A team's offensive philosophy is built around a QB's capabilities. You can't compare benching a QB to bringing in a relief pitcher. There just two very different things.

I'm not saying a QB should never be benched but sometimes you have to look at the picture when dealing with QB's in the league - focus on building a successful franchise long-term. Sticking with a struggling QB, that you have faith in, is the right long-term decision.

All Pro
    First - Geno isn't hurt, so that analogy doesn't fit
    Second - You may not want to hear it's different but it is. It's fundamental to the sport - game planning is a major part of the NFL football game, one QB gets virtually all the practice snaps, the game plan is designed around his skill-set. A team's offensive philosophy is built around a QB's capabilities. You can't compare benching a QB to bringing in a relief pitcher. There just two very different things.

I'm not saying a QB should never be benched but sometimes you have to look at the picture when dealing with QB's in the league - focus on building a successful franchise long-term. Sticking with a struggling QB, that you have faith in, is the right long-term decision.
    1. You're right...Geno isn't hurt. But he sucks. What's the difference? What if Simms comes in and pulls a Brady...do we put Geno back in because he might not suck again?

2. That is my WHOLE point. Everyone says its fundamental to the game. Maybe its time to change this thinking. There is now only about 15 QB's who can realistically be called franchise style QB's. That is just not good enough. Maybe its time for offensive minded individuals in the NFL to change the NFL, and start game planning a) the defense who they are playing and then b) game planning for different QB's who can give a team the best scenario to win that week.
    You don't start your Left-handed pitcher if he struggles in indoor-games against left-handed hitters and you are playing a team that as such. Perhaps its time coaches in the NFL realize that relying so much on one QB just isn't successful anymore.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

I don't disagree. If we at least have him some significant time this season we would know for sure ff we should target a QB in the draft next year. I don't want to go into next season with Simms still hanging around in a state of limbo, and people saying we should give him a shot.

Same reason as it was for a skinny 6th rounder from Michigan, a guy who was bagging groceries before Trent Green got hurt, a guy who was too small and had a bad shoulder injury in san diego.