Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Why is it impossible for Simms to succeed?

Quote Originally Posted by canadianjetsfan View Post
    This is what i can't understand...if Simms is good enough to be this team's backup or #2 QB, it tells me that the coaches are confident that he'd be able to go in at the drop of a hat (injury) and replace our # 1. So now that this team's #1 is suffering severely, then why isn't the coaching staff putting him in? Aren't they contradicting themselves by having this kid as their #2?
    They did put Simms in twice this year. The Bills game was right after a great win over the Saints and at the time nobody was really down on Geno. Last week they stuck with Geno because he's a big reason why we're 5-5 right now and not 2-8 or 1-9 and deserved another shot. I'm fine with naming Geno the starter as long as Simms goes in after the first pick or fumble.

Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    They did put Simms in twice this year. The Bills game was right after a great win over the Saints and at the time nobody was really down on Geno. Last week they stuck with Geno because he's a big reason why we're 5-5 right now and not 2-8 or 1-9 and deserved another shot. I'm fine with naming Geno the starter as long as Simms goes in after the first pick or fumble.
    I'm ok with Geno starting as well, but on a short leash. But you know it and I know it that Rex will keep him out there way too long even though the walls are crumbling around Geno. He did it with Sanchez and he probably stunted his development somewhat by doing so. This is what i don't want to see happen to Geno for i do think he has the ability to be a decent QB if given the time to learn and sometimes a benching is just what a rookie needs.

I'm ok with Geno starting as well, but on a short leash. But you know it and I know it that Rex will keep him out there way too long even though the walls are crumbling around Geno. He did it with Sanchez and he probably stunted his development somewhat by doing so. This is what i don't want to see happen to Geno for i do think he has the ability to be a decent QB if given the time to learn and sometimes a benching is just what a rookie needs.
    Rex stuck with Suckchez because we had no better options. Tim Tebow was a mediocre Fullback pretending to be a QB who had no clue about the playbook and you can throw a football better than Greg McElroy.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    Same reason as it was for a skinny 6th rounder from Michigan, a guy who was bagging groceries before Trent Green got hurt, a guy who was too small and had a bad shoulder injury in san diego.
    Somebody like Drew Brees. LOL

We will find out in four years when Smith is labeled a has been or never will be!

Rex stuck with Suckchez because we had no better options. Tim Tebow was a mediocre Fullback pretending to be a QB who had no clue about the playbook and you can throw a football better than Greg McElroy.
    seems as if we're watching last year's train wreck all over again, ain't it?

seems as if we're watching last year's train wreck all over again, ain't it?
    Simms is better than Tebow and McElroy which is why I think ultimately he will takeover if Geno continues to struggle.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Simms is better than Tebow and McElroy which is why I think ultimately he will takeover if Geno continues to struggle.
    Based on what? Some garbage time play in the pre season against 3rd stringers?

Quote Originally Posted by petejet View Post
    Yep

He's got a better arm that there is no denying.

And he knows how to step up in the pocket and can take a snap from under center.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Browning Nagle had a great arm too.

Browning Nagle had a great arm too.
    Yeah but there was nobody home upstairs. At least this kid has some pedigree to fall back on. But, don't get me wrong, i don't think he's the long term solution, rather, this team needs to know if he truly can be a reliable #2.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by jetman67 View Post
    The Jets have nothing but garbage on offense especially at the skill positions. No QB can succeed with the crap that he would be playing with
    You see I disagree, do you think Brady is doing what he is doing with anything better, not at all. It's all about a work ethic, a confidence, a willingness to succeed and trust. For years Brady has taken garbage and won with them, yes he has had some stars, but what is to say with Brady under center in green Kerley would not be the Edelman, Cumberland our Gronk. You can't make these statements when there is no connection between you and the ball. I agree we do not have the best, but it think we are unjustly calling out our offense when we have no QB. Solve the QB problem, you solve the Offense problem, or at least 75% of the problems go away.

I
    Quote Originally Posted by leftturn3 View Post
    You see I disagree, do you think Brady is doing what he is doing with anything better, not at all. It's all about a work ethic, a confidence, a willingness to succeed and trust. For years Brady has taken garbage and won with them, yes he has had some stars, but what is to say with Brady under center in green Kerley would not be the Edelman, Cumberland our Gronk. You can't make these statements when there is no connection between you and the ball. I agree we do not have the best, but it think we are unjustly calling out our offense when we have no QB. Solve the QB problem, you solve the Offense problem, or at least 75% of the problems go away.
    That's true, but its never going to happen for a rookie 11 games into his pro career.

I saw Simms up in Florham Park this pre-season and he looked horrific. Bouncing passes, getting skittish from the pass rush. That, combined with his putrid college record, is what leads me to believe he will never pan out. I could be wrong, but I doubt it.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Maury77 View Post
    I saw Simms up in Florham Park this pre-season and he looked horrific. Bouncing passes, getting skittish from the pass rush. That, combined with his putrid college record, is what leads me to believe he will never pan out. I could be wrong, but I doubt it.
    Phil Simms wants to fight you in the parking lot at an Applebees somewhere in New Jersey

Quote Originally Posted by Maury77 View Post
    Not the Simms I saw in Cortland .... Or in the limited playing time he has had in preseason and mop up time.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/fo...icle-1.1529113

Like Broncos great John Elway, NY Jets rookie QB Geno Smith needs to be benched

Geno Smith has been imploding for weeks and although the Jets need to know by the end of the season if he is their quarterback of the future, the best thing for him right now is to sit and watch for a couple of weeks.
    It once worked for John Elway and although the situations are different — Elway is more talented and the Broncos had veteran backup Steve DeBerg, not Matt Simms the concept is the same: When a rookie quarterback is regressing, he needs a timeout and a chance to regroup.
    “It made all the difference in the world,” Dan Reeves said on Monday. It was Reeves who made the call to bench Elway during his rookie season in 1983. “It was like when people take a course in Spanish and make an A in class, but when they go to Mexico, they don’t have a clue.
    “John knew the offense, but he was trying to memorize things rather than feeling comfortable with the language. When John came back, the difference was night and day.”

John Elway is plenty lost as a rookie, but he turns it around and lands in the Hall of Fame.
    DOUG MILLS/AP

John Elway is plenty lost as a rookie, but he turns it around and lands in the Hall of Fame.

That would be the hope for the Jets, if they decided to sit down Smith, but Rex Ryan announced Monday that Smith will start Sunday against the Dolphins with the season very much at stake.
    This is a tricky situation for Ryan. He is in the stretch drive trying to secure a contract extension and needs to prevent the Jets from falling apart after watching Smith implode in back-to-back losses to Bills and Ravens. Ryan still has to prove to owner Woody Johnson and GM John Idzik that he is the right coach for the Jets for 2014 and beyond. Going from 5-5 to 6-10 would not look good on his resume.
    But realistically, could Simms really do any worse than Smith — who has one touchdown and 10 interceptions in the last six games?
    Once Mark Sanchez was injured in the preseason, the Jets’ season became dedicated to finding out if Smith is their guy. If not, in a quarterback-heavy draft in May, they may be forced to find Smith’s replacement in the first round. In a weird way, sitting Smith down for a week or two could help the Jets find out what he’s all about.
    RELATED: REX STICKS WITH STRUGGLING GENO AT QB FOR JETS
    Smith has a rough go of things against the Ravens this past Sunday.
    PATRICK SMITH/GETTY IMAGES

Smith has a rough go of things against the Ravens this past Sunday.

Just getting Smith off the field and giving him a chance to regroup would help him in the long-term although it might upset him in the short-term. And perhaps Simms, who has played well in limited opportunities, might provide a spark.
    I would sit Smith for a game or two and then give him the final three games to make a case that he should be the quarterback in 2014.
    Reeves decided to start Elway in his first game as a rookie in 1983. Reeves grew up in the Cowboys system where Don Meredith was the veteran starter and Roger Staubach and Craig Morton sat and learned from him.
    Elway was considered the greatest quarterback prospect of all time and Reeves said he had an outstanding preseason. He started him the first five games — he benched him at the half the first two games — before switching to DeBerg. Elway wound up starting 10 games as a rookie, but when DeBerg recovered from an injury, Reeves started him in the playoffs.

Reeves thought things were moving too fast for Elway it was the days before the coach could communicate with his quarterback via the radio helmet and felt he needed to watch for a while to better absorb what was going on.
    Of course, the Jets don’t have a veteran ready to play like DeBerg. “That makes it difficult,” Reeves said. “The players want a chance to win.”
    There is no formula how to handle rookie quarterbacks even if the recent trend is to play them immediately and let them learn by tough love.
    Tom Coughlin started Kurt Warner the first nine games in 2004 before switching to rookie Eli Manning, who started the last seven games and struggled. Manning had that forgettable game in Baltimore where his QB rating was 0.0. He lost his first six starts, but when the Giants beat the Cowboys with 11 seconds to go in the final game of the season, it provided Manning a foundation to build on and the Giants made the playoffs in 2005.

The success of last year's rookies Andrew Luck, Robert Griffin III and Russell Wilson raised expectations for Smith that he hasn’t been able to live up to. Smith looks lost and needs to take a seat.
    If sitting down Elway worked, then maybe it could work for Smith.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/fo...#ixzz2llNYl83A

Quote Originally Posted by EM31 View Post
    Phil Simms wants to fight you in the parking lot at an Applebees somewhere in New Jersey
    Desmond Howard's got my back! Lol