Thread: St John's basketball....

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Playing better, then have an outside shot at a bid

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BRONX JET View Post
    Playing better, then have an outside shot at a bid
    Yes, for sure. Sunday night (7pm) game at MSG vs Creighton is obviously crucial. They have no wins vs ranked opponents, and I believe Creighton is in the top 25. It's a shame the Johnnies couldn't have pulled out afew more wins in the early season.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker134 View Post
    Yes, for sure. Sunday night (7pm) game at MSG vs Creighton is obviously crucial. They have no wins vs ranked opponents, and I believe Creighton is in the top 25. It's a shame the Johnnies couldn't have pulled out afew more wins in the early season.
    20 Seconds left, St. Johns up two, with 2 shots at the line. Big moment here for the program.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    KEEP IT GOING

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quality win! 15-9. If johnnies finish 5-2 in their last 7 games and get at least 1 win in the Big East tourney......NCAA berth is theirs

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quality win! 15-9. If johnnies finish 5-2 in their last 7 games and get at least 1 win in the Big East tourney......NCAA berth is theirs
    I think they need 7 more wins. IF it's 5 + 2 in the BE Tournament, or 6 + 1, they need to get to 7, I don't think 21-12 with only one win all year vs. tournament caliber team is enough, IMO. One of those wins has to be against a tourney team, that means beating either Villanova or Xavier. Again, considering they were 9-8 and 0-5 in the Big East, just to be at this point is quite impressive.

I just hope they can continue their run. They need to win their next 3 games, against 2 of the 3 worst teams in the Big East this year + Georgetown (Depaul, Seton Hall), that would put them at 18-9 and 8-6 in the conference, probably in the top 5 in the league at that point. They follow that up with @ Villanova / Vs. Xavier. A split (or 2-0, obviously) really gives them a good shot at the tournament.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    They escaped Seton Hall w a W last night....now 16-9, and 6-6 in the Big East. Sunday night's game vs Gtown is huge

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    They crush Gtown by 22....fair to say they are one of the hottest teams in the country. Rysheed Jordan and D'angelo Harrison each pour in 24 points. They can beat anyone in the country.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would like to see them play Syracuse again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Anyone who was at MSG 2 nights ago for the Johnnies W over Gtown knows why NCAA basketball blows away the NBA.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    5 Regular season games + BE tournament.

3-2 + 2 wins (22-12) in the Big East Tournament puts them right on the bubble
    4-1 + 1 win (22-11) in the Big East Tournament should be enough, but it'll be close, depends on how teams steal bids by winning conference tournament

4-1 + 2 wins (23-11) in the Big East tournament probably puts them in.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Batmans A Scientist View Post
    5 Regular season games + BE tournament.

3-2 + 2 wins (22-12) in the Big East Tournament puts them right on the bubble
    4-1 + 1 win (22-11) in the Big East Tournament should be enough, but it'll be close, depends on how teams steal bids by winning conference tournament

4-1 + 2 wins (23-11) in the Big East tournament probably puts them in.

If they beat Nova, it'll be tough to keep them out...assuming they win the other games they'll be heavily favored in.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    If they beat Nova, it'll be tough to keep them out...assuming they win the other games they'll be heavily favored in.
    I think they need 4-1 and a win in the BE tournament. I don't see how they can make a case for the BE to send 4 teams

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmiekid91 View Post
    I think they need 4-1 and a win in the BE tournament. I don't see how they can make a case for the BE to send 4 teams
    I don't think it's particularly hard to make a case for 4 Big East teams. Big East is ranking in the top 5 conferences so far this season. They played a solid OOC schedule. I think right now 3 teams are pretty much locks (Creighton, Villanova, Xavier), and depending how things shake out among the next 4 teams (St. Johns, Georgetown, Providence) you could easily see 5 teams from the Big East. In fact, every single person predicting brackets has at least 4 teams from Big East, if not 5. St. Johns does need one more "big" win.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Though as it stands right now, St Johns is ranked #52 in the RPI. This is a tournament team.

Let's see them take down an inferior Butler team tonight at MSG.

Also keep an eye on Villanova at Providence 2 nite

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Though as it stands right now, St Johns is ranked #52 in the RPI. This is a tournament team.

Let's see them take down an inferior Butler team tonight at MSG.

Also keep an eye on Villanova at Providence 2 nite
    They are going to need one more win against a top 50 team, be it Xavier or Villanova.St. Johns will not get in without beating one of those teams. St. Johns will play a top 50 team (RPI) team in the 2nd round of the tournament, most likely. If they lose that game + loss to Villanova and Xavier, then they will be 21-12, with only one "big" win. It's going to be tough without Obekpa.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Batmans A Scientist View Post
    They are going to need one more win against a top 50 team, be it Xavier or Villanova.St. Johns will not get in without beating one of those teams. St. Johns will play a top 50 team (RPI) team in the 2nd round of the tournament, most likely. If they lose that game + loss to Villanova and Xavier, then they will be 21-12, with only one "big" win. It's going to be tough without Obekpa.
    You're right, it's a down year for the Big East, I love the direction of Johnnie's program, if they get to the Big East finals they will def. be in.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am rooting for the Johnnies.... have been to 3 of their gams this season.
    My opinion - they will have to make the Big East Finals for consideration. The Conference is very weak this year and the few at large spots that may be around are certainly going to go to the upset conference winners (that were not in the picture) and the power conferences.
    If they don't make it, one can only hope they make a nice NIT run and we all get to see them play!

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think if they only have one more regular season loss (Villanova) they have to give them a bid

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BRONX JET View Post
    I think if they only have one more regular season loss (Villanova) they have to give them a bid
    I hope you are right. I would like to see them get in. Would help with future recruitment as well.