Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Collision Low Crossers- Is anyone reading??

Veteran

Collision Low Crossers- Is anyone reading??

http://www.amazon.com/Collision-Low-.../dp/0316196797

The book's all about the 2011 Jets season and the author had complete access to all aspects of the Jets' season. I just picked the book up today and I'm already halfway through; I can't put it down.

A couple notes from what I've read so far:

• Pettine and Rex loved Wilkerson, but they had real concerns about his effort
    • In the Bears-Jets game in the snow from 2010, Cro kept slipping because he wasn't wearing snow cleats because he didn't like the way they looked on him.
    • The Jets really liked Denarius Moore in the 2011 draft.
    • The Jets top receiver on their 2011 board was....Titus Young, who they wanted to take if they could get into the 2nd round. I'd say that it's good that didn't work out.
    • Rex loved Jaiquan Jarrett and wanted to draft him. Maybe that explains why they signed him so quickly.
    • It was Rex's decision to take Scotty McKnight in the draft, and that created a BIG problem with coaches and scouts. Scouts got a bonus if their 7th round pick succeeded in the NFL, and none of them were eligible because McKnight wasn't "their" guy. Pettine hated the pick, and that pick is also why Rex didn't get his own pick in the 2012 draft.

So far, I can't recommend this book highly enough.

I'm halfway through it. Good book. Most interesting parts to me are the Antwan Barnes and Scotty McKnight tidbits. Also, the more I read this book, the more I actually like Pettine and think he may be a better head coach than Rex one day.

(Btw, there's been two other threads on parts of this book. I think we have to merge threads. And I would avoid posting too much detail about the book so we don't ruin it for others.)
    Last edited by escamoter2; 11-26-2013 at 09:20 PM.

Sounds pretty awesome

Awesome Pic!

Did Tanny cut down Rexs draft allowance after The Terminator?

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by escamoter2 View Post
    I'm halfway through it. Good book. Most interesting parts to me are the Antwan Barnes and Scotty McKnight tidbits. Also, the more I read this book, the more I actually like Pettine and think he may be a better head coach than Rex one day.

(Btw, there's been two other threads on parts of this book. I think we have to merge threads. And I would avoid posting too much detail about the book so we don't ruin it for others.)
    I am also about halfway through the book, and I agree with your comments on Pettine. He comes across like a guy who will be a really good head coach someday. Great read and great insights on the Jets and the NFL. I read Rex's book a few years back and there is no comparison - this is a much more compelling read, highly recommended.

Sorry if this is a dumb question...

what does the title mean? Is that a reference to something?

Quote Originally Posted by twown View Post

It's the name of the book

Yes. Read the book and find out.

Yes. Read the book and find out.
    I intend to add some of the phrases from the book to my football lexicon for next years junior foorball season. My personal favorite... Altar Tackling.

All Pro

Yes, it was a term used by Jets defensive coaches. It refers to the expectation that linebackers make contact with receivers running short crossing patterns within 5 yards of the line of scrimmage. They were expected to "collision" the low crossers.

I'm about 1/3 thru it. Loving it. Agree with the OPs points. I thought the comments about Tebow from the former Bronco's coach were interesting. His line about his throws was hysterical.

All Pro
    This book is on my Christmas wish-list. I hope Santa feels I have been well-behaved this year.

Hall Of Fame
    Too lazy to read. Thinking about getting the audio book.

Surprised to see you guys say that. From just the excerpts people have posted here and there, he kinda came off as a douche. And those moments during the game, I think it was the Broncos game, he was the one who kept asking rex over and over "Should we blitz? Lets blitz here." Then I think Rex finally does and we get burned to lose the game.

Interesting stuff though. Would love to read the rest of it.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Too lazy to read. Thinking about getting the audio book.
    yeah i got it on audiobook also and am going to listen to it on my way to pick up my mother-in-law up north.

Is the audio book narrated by Rex?

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Lithfan View Post
    I am also about halfway through the book, and I agree with your comments on Pettine. He comes across like a guy who will be a really good head coach someday. Great read and great insights on the Jets and the NFL. I read Rex's book a few years back and there is no comparison - this is a much more compelling read, highly recommended.
    To be fair, Dawidoff would probably make a lousy coach.
    Last edited by Vinny Testaverde's Niece; 11-27-2013 at 02:14 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Just got done listening to the first chapter and as of that point the auhor seems to have a man crush on Rex and Tanny. Is he a Jets fan in real life?

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Just got done listening to the first chapter and as of that point the auhor seems to have a man crush on Rex and Tanny. Is he a Jets fan in real life?
    Maybe he's just observing with no prior opinion/agenda.

But that seems like a ridiculous notion.