Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Collision Low Crossers- Is anyone reading??

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    And the Tuna liked proven players also one of the reasons he wouldn't commit to taking Peyton with the first pick in 97. MM and David Lee are 2 of the best at QB development in the NFL yet it's Rex who holds them back?? How about the QB being part of the problem?? Rex's biggest blunder was playing Sanchez against the scrubs which I agree with but you probably would have him charged with attempted murder..
    Rex is just one of the reasons. IMO the main reason from the organizational side. I give Sanchez plenty of blame. There were things that he was in sole control of that he did not do well and he has nobody to blame but himself for that. IMO Sanchez likes the idea of being an NFL QB more than he likes being an actual NFL QB (if that makes any sense).

Believe it or not but I like Rex. And if you read the book it is very hard to not come away impressed with Rex as a person and a football man. But I have always appreciated Rex the person. I even appreciate Rex as a defensive mind, only an idiot wouldn't. It is just that as I am reading the book some of the things that bother me about Rex as a HC and some of the things I speculated about are being pointed out and in some cases confirmed. That is all, I don't really want to harp on it. I am just posting my reactions to the book as I go.

BTW, I completely understand the argument about proven v. unproven players but that was not the heart of the issue in the book. The issue was their working relationships and how Rex viewed things and how scouts and members of the FO felt that the draft was a loss even though they all felt they had a great draft up until the point Rex pulled Tanny out of the war room and told him he wanted to take his pick and use it on McKnight.

Like I said, the book is great and I think every Jets fan should read it. And when you do I think you will get a better understanding of how impactful that was. The author is far better with words than I am and he paints a great picture of that night.
    Last edited by DDNYjets; 11-28-2013 at 02:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JonEJet View Post
    STFU You're a broken record
    FUKK YOU.... Put me on ignore. Your blatant hounding of me is telling of your immaturity.

YOU are on ignore....
    Last edited by southparkcpa; 11-28-2013 at 02:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    I thought Woodhead was cut to make room for Coles?? http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/1...t-woodhead/rss
    At some point...players are not fungible. On that squad were Terminator and a few other future busts. REX simply didn't see Woodheads talents.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Rex is just one of the reasons. IMO the main reason from the organizational side. I give Sanchez plenty of blame. There were things that he was in sole control of that he did not do well and he has nobody to blame but himself for that. IMO Sanchez likes the idea of being an NFL QB more than he likes being an actual NFL QB (if that makes any sense).

Believe it or not but I like Rex. And if you read the book it is very hard to not come away impressed with Rex as a person and a football man. But I have always appreciated Rex the person. I even appreciate Rex as a defensive mind, only an idiot wouldn't. It is just that as I am reading the book some of the things that bother me about Rex as a HC and some of the things I speculated about are being pointed out and in some cases confirmed. That is all, I don't really want to harp on it. I am just posting my reactions to the book as I go.

BTW, I completely understand the argument about proven v. unproven players but that was not the heart of the issue in the book. The issue was their working relationships and how Rex viewed things and how scouts and members of the FO felt that the draft was a loss even though they all felt they had a great draft up until the point Rex pulled Tanny out of the war room and told him he wanted to take his pick and use it on McKnight.

Like I said, the book is great and I think every Jets fan should read it. And when you do I think you will get a better understanding of how impactful that was. The author is far better with words than I am and he paints a great picture of that night.
    That also goes for a certain president I can think of.. I just got my copy yesterday and started reading last night so I'll have to see what my take will be..

Finished the book tonight. The one thing I took away from the book, as I've already stated, is a belief that Pettine will be a good head coach.

Jets Insider VIP
    Just started reading it, surprisingly interesting in depth look at coaches and their personalities.

Couple of tidbits I've picked up along the way:

• While interviewing a possible draft pick, Mangini sits down along with 10 other Jets personnel with the draftee. Everyone introduces themselves, then Mangini asks the kid to recite the names of everyone in the room.
    • All 11 players do exactly what they’re supposed only 10% of the time.
    • Bob Sutton watching film on Brady after he throws an INT “That’s why he went in the 6th round”.
    • Cromartie largely portrayed as soft by the CS.
    • A part I found interesting on Ryan was some of his shortcomings: was dyslexic, is incapable of putting together an Ikea cupboard, but scores off the charts in creative problem solving. Doesn’t come as surprise that one of his major problems as a coach is clock management.
    Last edited by RaoulDuke; 12-02-2013 at 08:13 AM.

I finished the book. I agree with the concensus, Mike Pettine is gonna be a great coach one day. Rex's strengths are equally his weakness. He is just too loyal and too trusting. Was pretty taken back by the level of douchebaggery Holmes and Plax were capable of. But most importantly what an absolute clown Mark Sanchez is, and the fact the coaches did not hold him more accountable.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

I'm nearly finished reading the book. It's a great read, and like everyone else, I highly recommend. For me, the most interesting part was the chapter on the draft.

One criticism I will add that has not been mentioned, I found it strange that the Derrick Mason fiasco was barely mentioned. At the time, it was the big news item of the early season, and there was absolutely no insight as to what happened. Given the author's access I don't understand how this was ignored in the book.

I finished reading the book last week and highly recommend that
    all Jet fans read it.
    The author presents a unique perspective of the inner workings
    of an NFL franchise particularly from the coaches point of view.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by Traitor Jay & the Woodies View Post
    I'm nearly finished reading the book. It's a great read, and like everyone else, I highly recommend. For me, the most interesting part was the chapter on the draft.

One criticism I will add that has not been mentioned, I found it strange that the Derrick Mason fiasco was barely mentioned. At the time, it was the big news item of the early season, and there was absolutely no insight as to what happened. Given the author's access I don't understand how this was ignored in the book.
    I remember thinking that as well, but the author had seemingly little access and insight into the Offensive side. He was firmly entrenched with the defensive coaches and there was a big schism between the two sides.

I finished it about a month ago.

The thing that struck me the most was the part when they were in the QB meeting room with Tom Moore and he was explaining that its not the 20 yard line as much as the 15 - meaning when you get to the 15 is when you need touchdowns. Sanchez then jokes "ahhh, that must be why I threw all those ints down there."

That joke is why sanchez will never make it as a great NFL player. In short - throwing red zone INTs ISNT F'N FUNNY. Especially after reading the book its amazing how much work goes into an NFL season and if YOU are screwing it up and then joking about it, YOU just don't get it. Can you ever see brady joking about that?

Sanchez is a good athlete and came off as a good guy - he just isn't a fierce competitor which means he will never take that next step.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    I finished it about a month ago.

The thing that struck me the most was the part when they were in the QB meeting room with Tom Moore and he was explaining that its not the 20 yard line as much as the 15 - meaning when you get to the 15 is when you need touchdowns. Sanchez then jokes "ahhh, that must be why I threw all those ints down there."

That joke is why sanchez will never make it as a great NFL player. In short - throwing red zone INTs ISNT F'N FUNNY. Especially after reading the book its amazing how much work goes into an NFL season and if YOU are screwing it up and then joking about it, YOU just don't get it. Can you ever see brady joking about that?

Sanchez is a good athlete and came off as a good guy - he just isn't a fierce competitor which means he will never take that next step.
    Eh - I think you're reaching there. There's more than one personality type that can be sucessful. Just because you can laugh at yourself doesn't prohibit you from being great. Brett Favre was a funny, goofy guy. I could picture him saying the same thing. Sometimes when a guy doesn't succeed in the way we think he should, we often look for signs or some type of flaw that we can point to as the reason.

To me, the game never quite slowed down for Sanchez like it should have/could have/we wanted it to. Playing QB is really f'n hard, and when it comes down to it, he just isn't quite as good as the guys that are above him.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    I remember thinking that as well, but the author had seemingly little access and insight into the Offensive side. He was firmly entrenched with the defensive coaches and there was a big schism between the two sides.
    He was definitely embedded more deeply with the Defense but his free access to the offense and to Schotty was evident in the detail of the Holmes/Sanchez relationship. He also had opportunity to follow up and routinely did so after the fact even if he did not witness something first hand. The fact that the Mason stuff was barely mentioned only makes me more intrigued about what really went down.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Eh - I think you're reaching there. There's more than one personality type that can be sucessful. Just because you can laugh at yourself doesn't prohibit you from being great. Brett Favre was a funny, goofy guy. I could picture him saying the same thing. Sometimes when a guy doesn't succeed in the way we think he should, we often look for signs or some type of flaw that we can point to as the reason.

To me, the game never quite slowed down for Sanchez like it should have/could have/we wanted it to. Playing QB is really f'n hard, and when it comes down to it, he just isn't quite as good as the guys that are above him.
    I think you're right that that different personality types can succeed at the QB position in the NFL. But until you earn the respect, and more importantly, the confidence of your teammates, being a goofball all the time undermines your ability to lead. Sanchez never earned the type of latitude that true pros like Favre could get away with. I read this book being as frustrated with Sanchez in those meetings as I imagine the coaches were with him.

This can not be said enough. There are not 32 men on this planet that can play QB at an elite level. Hell, there's only about 5. Think about that. In a 32 team league more than half of them at any given time are struggling because they don't have a QB.

Quote Originally Posted by Traitor Jay & the Woodies View Post
    I think you're right that that different personality types can succeed at the QB position in the NFL. But until you earn the respect, and more importantly, the confidence of your teammates, being a goofball all the time undermines your ability to lead. Sanchez never earned the type of latitude that true pros like Favre could get away with. I read this book being as frustrated with Sanchez in those meetings as I imagine the coaches were with him.
    Agree. And Sanchez's behavior described in the book is similar to what we saw in Hard Knocks. Doesn't seem to have the serious approach other QBs and other players do.

I agree the position is really hard and nothing against sanchez as a person for only being in the top .00001% of QBs in the world instead of the top 00000.1%. My problem with it is that he was on a team already divided, where the defense thought he was holding them back - then he goes and jokes about the exact thing that half the team believes (and they were right) was holding them back.

You can be laid back, but not if you are playing like crap.

All League
    It's a great book, real informative. .....I would definitely recommend for any Jets fan, or even football fan in general.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    I agree the position is really hard and nothing against sanchez as a person for only being in the top .00001% of QBs in the world instead of the top 00000.1%. My problem with it is that he was on a team already divided, where the defense thought he was holding them back - then he goes and jokes about the exact thing that half the team believes (and they were right) was holding them back.

You can be laid back, but not if you are playing like crap.
    This is my take on Sanchez as well. He was a HS star and then a one year wonder in college. He never really proved himself so he has no right to be glib. For him to be joking about his single greatest flaw as a QB while on a team where half the players hate his guts (yes I know it's an exaggeration but how could the defense not hate his guts) is just inappropriate, immature, bad form, and any other negative you can think of.

All League
    I read it, loved it. In retrospect, it makes the Cromartie release seem understandable. The other big take-away I took from it was how engulfed all the coaches are with work 24/7.