Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: When Aaron Rogers is at QB the O-Line is good, when he's not.......

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    About the same amount that Montana did for Young none..
    A QB can learn by watching another QB perform. In the old days a QB sat for 4 to 5 years watching the starter show his stuff.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by pdxjets View Post
    Yeah. Maybe we should get ourselves one.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
    Maybe we have one. It might be better to develop the team surrounding what we have if the staff feels he can do what they want. Its also a fact that Rodgers has a weapon or two in GB. Most QBs need weapons surrounding them to develop into the player they are capable of being. The other factor in some cases is TIME to learn the craft!

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    I am not sure how much tutelage he received from Favre. Favre was pretty clear that it wasn't his job to mentor Rodgers. Some people thought Rodgers would be the #1 overall pick. He was an accomplished QB in college. Outside of pure talent I think the biggest reason for his success is that he has played in the same system his entire career with a good offensive HC for a QB-centric franchise.
    An accomplished QB like Rodgers was coming out of college did not need Favre to sit him down like a dutch uncle and explain defenses to him. Rodgers learned by watching watch Favre did and how he prepared. Yes Favre did not mentor Rodgers because he did not have to with their OC there. Rodgers had vast talent and was allowed to develop it slowly with little pressure to win. He sat; he watched; he practiced; he became a winner. Geno was NOT an accomplished QB coming from college. He would have been better off sitting and learning behind a veteran QB who was worth the price of admission. We did not have that here. I wonder how much better Sanchez could have been sitting and watching Favre with us? Again, one QB does not have to mentor the other! Show by doing! Guys like Rodgers already knew what they were looking at having played a pro set in college. It was a matter of developing their craft with no pressure thrust upon them. Its an advantage I'd love to have had with both Sanchez and Geno.
    Last edited by Kentucky Jet; 11-29-2013 at 06:40 AM.

Practice Squad
    Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jet View Post
    An accomplished QB like Rodgers was coming out of college did not need Favre to sit him down like a dutch uncle and explain defenses to him. Rodgers learned by watching watch Favre did and how he prepared. Yes Favre did not mentor Rodgers because he did not have to with their OC there. Rodgers had vast talent and was allowed to develop it slowly with little pressure to win. He sat; he watched; he practiced; he became a winner. Geno was NOT an accomplished QB coming from college. He would have been better off sitting and learning behind a veteran QB who was worth the price of admission. We did not have that here. I wonder how much better Sanchez could have been sitting and watching Favre with us? Again, one QB does not have to mentor the other! Show by doing! Guys like Rodgers already knew what they were looking at having played a pro set in college. It was a matter of developing their craft with no pressure thrust upon them. Its an advantage I'd love to have had with both Sanchez and Geno.
    Those are all fair points but no team sits their top qb drafts anymore.

One point about GBs O Line, when Rodgers comes to the los he has half the playbook at his disposable, he can change routes and protections based what he sees which makes the o line look much better. That's why a hof qb is so amazingly valuable.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

There are two main reasons why the any o-line is better with a quality NFL QB ...

1) QB's ability to beat the blitz (means less blitzing)
    2) QB's Release time (means less likely to get to him)

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

A QB can learn by watching another QB perform. In the old days a QB sat for 4 to 5 years watching the starter show his stuff.
    The main reason for that KJ was most College teams didn't run a pro style offense.

Quote Originally Posted by CR8ZMIKE View Post
    I love this part... Over the last several weeks the packers o-line hasn't "played" well....supposably

Our pass protection some times sucks but please tell me why a "good" quarterback makes an oline look great?
    Packers oline sucked all season. Rodgers was getting mauled from the beginning of the season. In fact, the Packer oline has been bad for a couple of years now. Rodgers success has been in spite of his OL. Plus the OL provides little support for him in the running game.

Quote Originally Posted by SizzleBear287 View Post
    It's alarming how a quarterback can change the entire quality of a team- look at the Packers right now and the Colts in 2011.
    And how a QB can make a coach a "good" coach.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by detectivekimble View Post
    And how a QB can make a coach a "good" coach.
    +1 George Seifert won Bowls and never had a season worse then 10-6 with SF.. 3 years with the Panthers never had a winning season and was canned in year three at 1-15 his QB's sucked..

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by positive View Post
    Those are all fair points but no team sits their top qb drafts anymore.

One point about GBs O Line, when Rodgers comes to the los he has half the playbook at his disposable, he can change routes and protections based what he sees which makes the o line look much better. That's why a hof qb is so amazingly valuable.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2
    and a good reason why Rodgers can change routes and protections today at will is: consistency. He has been in the same system for years and years. McCarthy is an offensive genius and great play caller. He trained Rodgers and surrounded him with weapons. In stead of changing the QB every time things took a downturn McCarthy kept developing his QB and team. Results have been excellent and I hope we can emulate their success one day. But that is not to denigrate the talent Rogers possessed coming into the NFL as the 24th pick of the draft. Yet the ability to watch a HoF QB go about his daily business for THREE years before being thrust into battle assisted him greatly. The Golden Bears are NOT considered the pinnacle of college football nor a QB factory. Rodgers was actually turned down by FSU and was not well sought by other major football programs! I wonder how Rogers would have turned out if he had to start in GB from day 1 and had no OL or weapons surrounding him.
    Last edited by Kentucky Jet; 11-29-2013 at 02:13 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

and a good reason why Rodgers can change routes and protections today at will is: consistency. He has been in the same system for years and years. McCarthy is an offensive genius and great play caller. He trained Rodgers and surrounded him with weapons. In stead of changing the QB every time things took a downturn McCarthy kept developing his QB and team. Results have been excellent and I hope we can emulate their success one day. But that is not to denigrate the talent Rogers possessed coming into the NFL as the 24th pick of the draft. Yet the ability to watch a HoF QB go about his daily business for THREE years before being thrust into battle assisted him greatly. The Golden Bears are NOT considered the pinnacle of college football nor a QB factory. Rodgers was actually turned down by FSU and was not well sought by other major football programs! I wonder how Rogers would have turned out if he had to start in GB from day 1 and had no OL or weapons surrounding him.
    On the other hand you have that UDFA Matt McGloin throwing to another UDFA Holmes that was picked off the Cowboys practice squad looking pretty good yesterday.. One thing I noticed in all the games yesterday was the quick release on all the QB's most of the time.. I don't see that with Geno I hope he gets better soon but I don't think it will be this season..

+1 George Seifert won Bowls and never had a season worse then 10-6 with SF.. 3 years with the Panthers never had a winning season and was canned in year three at 1-15 his QB's sucked..
    McCarthy is 0-4-1 without Rodgers this year. And Rex has gone 5-6 with this limp dick offense.

Rodgers is so good, that yes, he can mask the deficiencies on an o-line. The Packers are blessed to have a QB so good that he can do that. Most teams don't have that luxury.

QB is everything in this sport. We spend all this time talking about other positions, but if you don't have a good QB you are pretty much screwed in the race for a Super Bowl.

Practice Squad
    Oswego County, Upstate NY, USA with my wife and family.
    Often, the refs will allow holding more for a team with a good or great quarterback than they will for an average or sub-par one. I've seen it FAR too many times to be a coincidence.

Jets Insider VIP
    On the other hand you have that UDFA Matt McGloin throwing to another UDFA Holmes that was picked off the Cowboys practice squad looking pretty good yesterday.. One thing I noticed in all the games yesterday was the quick release on all the QB's most of the time.. I don't see that with Geno I hope he gets better soon but I don't think it will be this season..
    You also did not mention the OL play in front of McGloin. It was pretty good for most of the game and he was not throwing from a well. You know as well as I that it will screw up any quick release.
    Last edited by Kentucky Jet; 11-30-2013 at 08:17 AM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Like Rodgers, Simms is shifty and that keeps the DL flat footed. His direction is always changing. IMO we'd have at least 2 more Ws if he was starter.
    Last edited by JumbalayaJet; 11-30-2013 at 08:26 AM.