Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: who is doing the drafting for the jets?

who is doing the drafting for the jets?

I don't care what anybody says.the jets history is absolutely horrible for a new York organization.a reality check is on the agenda.we jet fans cannot endure this any longer.this team is doomed to mediocrity.
    Last edited by jets rooter; 11-26-2013 at 01:14 PM.

K, thanks

Let's all march on the stadium because that will change everything. We'd have to win then.

Not only the Jets, it is all NY sports teams. When was the last time the Knicks won anything, or the Mets? My single best sporting event ever occurred in 1994 when my Rangers won a cup. That is almost 20 years ago already and since then, nothing form anyone, Mets Jets Knicks or Rangers. It is really pathetic to me that the biggest city on the world has such garbage sports teams that NEVER win a Championship. These 4 a re so bad most of the time that they hardly ever sniff a title, let alone win one.

Quote Originally Posted by ASH_1962 View Post
    Not only the Jets, it is all NY sports teams. When was the last time the Knicks won anything, or the Mets? My single best sporting event ever occurred in 1994 when my Rangers won a cup. That is almost 20 years ago already and since then, nothing form anyone, Mets Jets Knicks or Rangers. It is really pathetic to me that the biggest city on the world has such garbage sports teams that NEVER win a Championship. These 4 a re so bad most of the time that they hardly ever sniff a title, let alone win one.
    looks like the yankees, devils and giants have won plenty of times in the past 20 years. perhaps you are just rooting for the wrong NY area teams?

Quote Originally Posted by batman10023 View Post
    looks like the yankees, devils and giants have won plenty of times in the past 20 years. perhaps you are just rooting for the wrong NY area teams?

Yup, unfortunately the two most contemptible NY teams, plus a hockey team no one cares about.

Quote Originally Posted by jets rooter View Post
    I don't care what anybody says.the jets history is absolutely horrible for a new York organization.a reality check is on the agenda.we jet fans cannot endure this any longer.this team is doomed to mediocrity.
    I mean seriously - we need to fire the people who chose Mo Wilkerson, he might not even win Defensive Player of the League. Same with Sheldon Richardson, he might not win Defensive Rookie of the Year - how can we let people who evaluated those players continue to be employed in the league

I mean look at this roster we only have demario davis and antonio allen making huge contributions in their second year. And who the hell is responsible for looking at undrafted free agents - Damon Harrison is only one of the top 3 NTs in the league, he shoudl be #1!

And dont get me started on the offensive line - they only drafted a center and LT who made 5+ pro bowls between them, that is absurd. They need to make it EVERY YEAR.

Where did they get the scouting report on Jeremy Kerley - I mean a 5th round pick needs to be a pro bowler, not just someone who averages over 10 YPC even though the Qbs he has played with are among the worst in the league.

All Pros - thats what we should get in every round in every draft.

Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    I mean seriously - we need to fire the people who chose Mo Wilkerson, he might not even win Defensive Player of the League. Same with Sheldon Richardson, he might not win Defensive Rookie of the Year - how can we let people who evaluated those players continue to be employed in the league

I love replies like this. First of all, the guy who drafted Wilkerson was fired - and rightfully so. Every GM makes great picks and bad ones. Rich Kotite drafted Hugh Douglas and found Wayne Chrebet as an undrafted free agent. I guess he should still be here. You are judged on an entire body of work, which for Tannenbaum - and the Woody Johnson Jets as a whole - has largely been mediocre at best.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Toooon View Post
    I love replies like this. First of all, the guy who drafted Wilkerson was fired - and rightfully so. Every GM makes great picks and bad ones. Rich Kotite drafted Hugh Douglas and found Wayne Chrebet as an undrafted free agent. I guess he should still be here. You are judged on an entire body of work, which for Tannenbaum - and the Woody Johnson Jets as a whole - has largely been mediocre at best.
    Woody has not won a ring and he needs to do that. Mediocre is is just plain false. Since he has been here he done better than about 70% of the leaugue

So even though Terry Bradway has been the head of college scouting for these drafts he sucks, even though he drafted guys who have turned out great?

Instead of ripping the guy why dont you put some thought into what you write tell us where the Jets have gone so wrong in the draft.

Who did we pass on that turned out to be amazing?

Hall Of Fame

I mean look at this roster we only have demario davis and antonio allen making huge contributions in their second year. And who the hell is responsible for looking at undrafted free agents - Damon Harrison is only one of the top 3 NTs in the league, he shoudl be #1!

And dont get me started on the offensive line - they only drafted a center and LT who made 5+ pro bowls between them, that is absurd. They need to make it EVERY YEAR.

Where did they get the scouting report on Jeremy Kerley - I mean a 5th round pick needs to be a pro bowler, not just someone who averages over 10 YPC even though the Qbs he has played with are among the worst in the league.

All Pros - thats what we should get in every round in every draft.

Better than mediocre from Tannenbaum considering the playoff games and 2 AFC championship games.

But yes, still not good enough.

Ha it's funny Rex haters say it's Rex fault for drafting so many D players in first round.. They he bullied mt into taking who he wanted.. So he doesn't get credit for drafting Mo in bottom of 1st round? Lol.. Rex haters contradict themselves without even realizing..

Quote Originally Posted by Cleansweep2013 View Post
    Ha it's funny Rex haters say it's Rex fault for drafting so many D players in first round.. They he bullied mt into taking who he wanted.. So he doesn't get credit for drafting Mo in bottom of 1st round? Lol.. Rex haters contradict themselves without even realizing..
    The truth its not anyones fault (to an extent) about this stuff.

You have to realize that 90% of us on this board are basically lunatics when it comes to the jets, very few fans are educated about their teams picks, practice squad, etc. We love the team so our focus is tainted and a guy like Ducasse drives us crazy because everyone wants the team to do well. Plus we see and hear about other teams getting 5th and 6th round gems because we see those players on sportscenter and since that’s not “our team” we don’t see all the misses those teams have.

Jerry Reese was praised beyond belief when they won the SB with all those rookies. Now the vast majority of those guys are out of the league, and his team is in virtual shambles – is he now no longer a good GM? Scott Pioli was fired and considered a disaster in KC, but now the players from drafts he presided over are the toast of the league – is he really a bad GM or did he just not have a QB?

Its no so cut and dried as “so-and-so sucks” it doesn’t work like that when you have to project the performance of 20 year olds.

PLAYER PERSONNEL
    Terry Bradway
    Rod Graves
    Brendan Prophett
    Matt Bazirgan

AREA SCOUTS
    Jeff Bauer
    David Boller
    Rick Courtright
    Aaron Glenn
    David Hinson
    Cole Hufnagel
    Jay Mandolesi
    Christopher Prescott
    Dan Zbojovsky

When you inherit 1b feel free to buy a team. In the interim woody ain't going anywhere.

So even though Terry Bradway has been the head of college scouting for these drafts he sucks, even though he drafted guys who have turned out great?

Instead of ripping the guy why dont you put some thought into what you write tell us where the Jets have gone so wrong in the draft.

Who did we pass on that turned out to be amazing?

You really want to rehash the Bradway era? From the debacles of the Lavernaus Coles and Chad Morton contracts to letting Farrior walk (for Sam Cowart) to letting Kareem Mckenzie walk (a premium position with no backup plan) to drafting a kicker in the 2nd round to trading up for Kellen Clemens to trading back just to get Doug Jolley in a year when we were desperate for a CB and could have had Corey Webster with that pick (still in the league) but ended up with Justin Miller instead (not still in the league). Should I continue?

As for Tannenbaum, he inherited a disastrous pass rush one season after John Abraham walked and did absolutely nothing to fix it IN SEVEN YEARS. Sorry, he did draft Vernon Gholston (which I gave him credit for at the time, since we were so desperate for pass rush) and yet he busted miserably. He traded away draft picks year in and year out, going for home runs in the draft, which is inherently a crap shoot and a numbers game, so that his chief division rival drafted around twice as many players over the same time period (and shockingly, they continue to dominate our division while we continue to wallow in mediocrity), forcing him to reach for veteran free agents instead of developing young players. His trade-ups included Revis (rare case of the home run) but also Sanchez (missing on a QB that was so obviously a reach set back the franchise years). Did I mention reaching for a QB (Favre? Waste of a season. Tebow? Generating a media circus for no reason at all). Tanny looked like a genius with the first two picks of his career - Brick and Mangold - but he also mishandled the Pete Kendall affair by destroying the stability of his OL coming off a playoff season in '06, with no backup plan in site (remember Adrien Clarke?) when he had an injury-prone QB that needed protection more than some of the more mobile QBs.

This idea that we went to two AFCCG's and therefore we had great teams is laughable. The '09 team was 8-8 and out of the playoffs if Manning doesn't sit the second half in Indy. The '10 team won flukey game after flukey game and loses in the first round if not for Cromartie's kick return. The Jets - and Rex - deserve a ton of credit for those playoff runs, but the regular season records are more indicative of what the team was, which is clear when you look at every other season Rex has been here. 2010 was the exception, not the rule.

As I've said in a few other threads, our scouts have been under way more pressure than many teams the last few years because of the way Tanny ran things. Almost every single pick had to hit because we had no insulation at all re # of picks. If you have 5 picks a year for 3 years and 2 bust from each class it looks really bad. Luckily our new GM does not seem as intent on chasing rainbows, letting the draft come to him and having the insulation of multiple picks. (

Lets look 5 years down the road, if one of the three olineman we picked this year turns into a solid starter it will be worth it as opposed to picking a guy like Ducasse in a year we had so few picks.

Hall Of Fame
    Aaron Glenn is a scout? Maybe he can find us some secondary help.

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Aaron Glenn is a scout? Maybe he can find us some secondary help.
    Maybe he was all in on Sweet Dee?

whats a few more years of losing, we have only been waiting for 44 yrs. more isn't going to hurt us

Quote Originally Posted by jets rooter View Post