Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: For everybody coming down on Rex Ryan lately.....a little food for thought.....

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice

For everybody coming down on Rex Ryan lately.....a little food for thought.....

First off let me start by saying that I am not at all pleased with how the Jets have played the last 2 games. That being said. That blame falls on the players as much as the coaches. One thing that has jumped out to me the last couple of games is the Offensive Line's terrible performance in pass protection. The O-Line has not been giving Geno good protection at all to throw the ball and that's a big problem.

WR's and TE's need to catch the damn ball.....way too many drops happening the last couple of games and there is absolutely no excuse for that - that is just a straight up lack of effort and concentration.

Marty Mornhenwig seems to have gotten incredibly conservative in his play-calling. Regardless of the reason why, this is not helping Geno Smith - or the offense as a whole, in any way, shape, or form. It's doing quite the opposite actually. Cutting down the play book and giving him the same handful of plays to run over and over again is handcuffing Geno and making the offense incredibly predictable & unproductive and I think Marty & Rex both need to realize this - and in a hurry and start opening up the playbook again. If we are going to go down - I would personally rather see the Jets go down swinging.

Now all this being said I have seen alot of Rex bashing here the last few days and some of it is justified but I want to ask you all this question.

Since Rex Ryan took over the Jets in 2009, is their any team in our division that has beaten the Patriots?

As far as I can remember, the answer is that the Jets are the only AFC East team to beat the Patriots since Rex's arrival in 2009 and he has done it 4 times including once in the playoffs.

I am just saying, maybe Rex isn't as bad a coach as some of you would like to believe.

Does Rex have room for improvement?

Absolutely, but so does the rest of the team.
    Last edited by ARodFLKeysJetsFan; 11-29-2013 at 01:11 PM.

Like a rookie player you expect a new head coach to have some growing pains but get better and not repeat mistakes. This is the worry with Rex, is he improving in the areas he has shown weakness in? I'm not sure he has. The big wall of defense for rex over the years has been his defense and the idea that he as a coach makes such a difference that it is okay to ignore other shortcomings. I am more disappointed in our defense this year than the O which was expected to suck.

Jets Insider VIP
    Rex IMO has a lot of positives. I like him. His influence or lack of, not certain, over the offensive personnel needs to be defined.

Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    Like a rookie player you expect a new head coach to have some growing pains but get better and not repeat mistakes. This is the worry with Rex, is he improving in the areas he has shown weakness in? I'm not sure he has. The big wall of defense for rex over the years has been his defense and the idea that he as a coach makes such a difference that it is okay to ignore other shortcomings. I am more disappointed in our defense this year than the O which was expected to suck.
    None of the things your talking about Beerfish, can be blamed on Ryan.We have one corner with a bad hip, and a struggling rookie on the other side. This is the 2nd year in a row Rex has been screwed by his GM, at the QB position. No quality backup.

All League
    In Idzik's defense, who the heck was he supposed to bring in at QB? We had no cap space so The shell of Garrard was all we could afford. In the draft, it was either Manuel at 9 or 13 or Smith in the second.

Regardless, we are still a long way from solving the QB issue.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by ARodFLKeysJetsFan View Post

Marty Mornhenwig seems to have gotten incredibly conservative in his play-calling.
    Yeah...because of Rex.

I don't seem to remember Mornhinweg neutering the hell out of Nick Foles last year when he turned the ball over as a rookie. Don't seem to remember Marty constantly rolling out this wildcat bullsh*t in Philly either. This current offense has Rex's fingerprints all over it.

He preached all offseason about how he wanted "an offense that can match our aggressiveness on defense" yet he just couldn't keep his damn paws off of it for more than a few weeks. As soon as Geno had a rough game against Tennessee, he completely f*cking handcuffed the kid. Our offensive approach didn't turn super-conservative until the Pittsburgh game.

Our team just wasn't that talented ... End of story. U could have the greatest coach of all time coach this team not sure it would make a difference. Our O line can't block, our QB is too raw, our receivers are arguably the worst in football (we get SUPER excited when a guy catches a first down and gets 5 extra yards), and more than anything we lack playmakers defensively. We have one playmaker defensively ... Big Mo ... Davis makes plays but isn't a play MAKER he's maybe got a year or 2 to develop into that guy. This is an entire 50 plus man roster with 2 playmakers ... Big Mo & Ivory .. 1 guy who a team would trade a 1st round for the other guy a team wouldn't go above a 3rd. End thread ...

Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    Rex IMO has a lot of positives. I like him. His influence or lack of, not certain, over the offensive personnel needs to be defined.
    +1. I agree

Quote Originally Posted by pcola View Post
    In Idzik's defense, who the heck was he supposed to bring in at QB? We had no cap space so The shell of Garrard was all we could afford. In the draft, it was either Manuel at 9 or 13 or Smith in the second.

Regardless, we are still a long way from solving the QB issue.
    Having watched Geno the past month, I agree with this statement. Look at next year's draft to see if we can grab one of those QBs coming out. We just might get lucky like Seattle who paid a hefty price for Flynn and struck gold with Wilson.

Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    Yeah...because of Rex.

I don't seem to remember Mornhinweg neutering the hell out of Nick Foles last year when he turned the ball over. Don't seem to remember Marty constantly rolling out this wildcat bullsh*t in Philly either. This current offense has Rex's fingerprints all over it.

He preached all offseason about how he wanted "an offense that can match our aggressiveness on defense" yet he just couldn't keep his damn paws off of it for more than a few weeks. As soon as Geno had a rough game against Tennessee, he completely f*cking handcuffed the kid. Our offensive approach didn't turn super-conservative until the Pittsburgh game.
    Lol this arguement just makes me laugh anyone who conspires this theory cannot provide any evidence, or any rational solution how Rex is " handcuffing " Marty.. How is Rex doing it? Is he calling plays in game? Does Marty have to ask when to pass? Ha. Seriously would like to hear how Rex is controlling the play calling.. Don't tell me it's gameplan.. Marty is a good coach. Any good coach has 3 times as many plays ready to call in response to whatever the d is doing.. It's agenda non sense.. Can't say because "Marty never did this " this is by far the worse O Marty was ever given to work with.. The line seems to do much worse in pass protect than run blocking.. I now agree this was not fair situation to put a rookie qb in.. Mark should have been the qb to be the sacrificial lamb before he is cut.. Izdik will have a much better cap to work with next yr..

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleansweep2013 View Post
    Lol this arguement just makes me laugh anyone who conspires this theory cannot provide any evidence, or any rational solution how Rex is " handcuffing " Marty.. How is Rex doing it? Is he calling plays in game? Does Marty have to ask when to pass? Ha. Seriously would like to hear how Rex is controlling the play calling.. Don't tell me it's gameplan.. Marty is a good coach. Any good coach has 3 times as many plays ready to call in response to whatever the d is doing.. It's agenda non sense.. Can't say because "Marty never did this " this is by far the worse O Marty was ever given to work with.. The line seems to do much worse in pass protect than run blocking.. I know agree this was not fair situation to put a rookie qb in.. Mark should have been the qb to be the sacrificial lamb before he is cut.. Izdik will have a much better cap to work with next yr..
    Are you kidding me?

Who the hell has run the wildcat as much as the Jets have over the past 5 years since Rex took over? And in that span, we've had 3 different offensive coordinators with very different backgrounds.

Even the Dolphins, who basically brought the wildcat to the NFL with Ronnie Brown/Ricky Williams 6-7 years ago, totally ditched it after 2 seasons.

So what's the common denominator here?

Rex even openly admitted that the logic behind the Tebow trade was that he had high expectations of him being our go-to guy out of the WC formation.

Marty Mornhenwig seems to have gotten incredibly conservative in his play-calling. Regardless of the reason why, this is not helping Geno Smith - or the offense as a whole, in any way, shape, or form. It's doing quite the opposite actually. Cutting down the play book and giving him the same handful of plays to run over and over again is handcuffing Geno and making the offense incredibly predictable & unproductive and I think Marty & Rex both need to realize this - and in a hurry and start opening up the playbook again. If we are going to go down - I would personally rather see the Jets go down swinging.
    I thought this was a thread to defend Rex? Who do you think instructed Marty to tone down the offense and run more? The sudden change in offensive philosophy the last month is 100% coming from the big oaf. He did it again. The dummy changed the offensive approach and it destroyed the season.

Quote Originally Posted by Magnus View Post
    I thought this was a thread to defend Rex? Who do you think instructed Marty to tone down the offense and run more? The sudden change in offensive philosophy the last month is 100% coming from the big oaf. He did it again. The dummy changed the offensive approach and it destroyed the season.
    Rex doesn't want a dead QB, do you??We don't have the weapons to open up the offense.

Quote Originally Posted by GenoT View Post
    None of the things your talking about Beerfish, can be blamed on Ryan.We have one corner with a bad hip, and a struggling rookie on the other side. This is the 2nd year in a row Rex has been screwed by his GM, at the QB position. No quality backup.
    The team is LOADED with 1st rounders on defense. If you have an injured Cb and a lousy CB you either go to all lengths to get to the Qb or you play a 2 deep zone. He's given credit when the team is full of Revis's and Wilkersons but not given blame when they have some weak links? No, sorry that doesn't wash for me. The defense has been very disappointing this year. We've had some great performances from individuals but things like the Ed Reed immediate insertion into the lineup only to get cooked badly is on the coach.

The team is LOADED with 1st rounders on defense. If you have an injured Cb and a lousy CB you either go to all lengths to get to the Qb or you play a 2 deep zone. He's given credit when the team is full of Revis's and Wilkersons but not given blame when they have some weak links? No, sorry that doesn't wash for me. The defense has been very disappointing this year. We've had some great performances from individuals but things like the Ed Reed immediate insertion into the lineup only to get cooked badly is on the coach.
    Cro wasn't a weak link last year, we traded Revis, Millner signed late, and fought injuries early on.Our best edge rusher, Barnes got hurt. If he was healthy, some of those big plays would have been taken away. I agree that Rex is stubborn, but if we played a two deep zone, than Pace and Coples lack of coverage skills would be exposed. To me playing man is minimizing the risk, because its harder to complete those downfeid passes, than the short and intermediate ones

First off let me start by saying that I am not at all pleased with how the Jets have played the last 2 games. That being said. That blame falls on the players as much as the coaches. One thing that has jumped out to me the last couple of games is the Offensive Line's terrible performance in pass protection. The O-Line has not been giving Geno good protection at all to throw the ball and that's a big problem.

WR's and TE's need to catch the damn ball.....way too many drops happening the last couple of games and there is absolutely no excuse for that - that is just a straight up lack of effort and concentration.

Now all this being said I have seen alot of Rex bashing here the last few days and some of it is justified but I want to ask you all this question.

Since Rex Ryan took over the Jets in 2009, is their any team in our division that has beaten the Patriots?

As far as I can remember, the answer is that the Jets are the only AFC East team to beat the Patriots since Rex's arrival in 2009 and he has done it 3 times including once in the playoffs.

I am just saying, maybe Rex isn't as bad a coach as some of you would like to believe.

This is incorrect.

Buffalo once
    Miami once

I'll tell you why I'm not a fan of stats like that though....

Here's one...
    The Jets are the only team in the division to lose to Miami 5 times since 2009.

We're not talking the Patriots, we're talking Miami. That's not good.

Rex has played the Pats well but how tough is it for any team to get up to play against the Patriots? Teams measure themselves by the game...just a fact

What matters more is whether the team can maintain focus to play through adversity and be consistent. Coaching matters more for that than getting up for a couple of games a year. The players will do that themselves. Can the coach put them in successful positions throughout the year and get them to play well every week? That is just as important to coaching as a game plan is.

I'm not saying Rex is bad or is doing things wrong. I just don't think the Patriots should be a the major determining factor for any coaches success.
    Last edited by CleatMarks; 11-28-2013 at 05:06 PM.

As far as I can remember, the answer is that the Jets are the only AFC East team to beat the Patriots since Rex's arrival in 2009 and he has done it 3 times including once in the playoffs.

Well said Arod and I really could not agree more. Geno is wearing handcuffs right now and it seems due to Geno being quite simply overwhelmed right now. It seems like that no matter what he does he just keeps on turning the ball over and that is killing this team. However, I do not agree with handcuffing him altogether. At the very least you must give the guy the tools to win.

Will that be possible if they do open up the playbook? I really do not know. Right now between the OL non appearances, the WR's completely deserting Geno, and Geno's own bad rookie tendencies it seems like it would not be possible.

Geno needs time for the game to slow down right now. The game is simply moving too fast for him and he cannot handle it. He needs to sit and think about his list of priorities. Right now I think everything is getting to him, even things that he cannot possibly control. That's too much pressure for a youngster.

With that said, I do think it would be wise for John Idzik to do his due diligence and draft another QB this April. The end result needs to be about the NYJ getting better and giving Geno a push from some young buck that is ready to steal his starting spot in TC. That may be exactly the kind of motivation that Geno needs.

I also think Rex Ryan is the HC that should be calling the shots through this transition. He will always keep this team in contention with his defensive excellence. On the offensive side, he simply has not been given the talent to do anything with it. Hopefully that changes with another draft into the rebuilding process.

Are you kidding me?

Who the hell has run the wildcat as much as the Jets have over the past 5 years since Rex took over? And in that span, we've had 3 different offensive coordinators with very different backgrounds.

Even the Dolphins, who basically brought the wildcat to the NFL with Ronnie Brown/Ricky Williams 6-7 years ago, totally ditched it after 2 seasons.

So what's the common denominator here?

Rex even openly admitted that the logic behind the Tebow trade was that he had high expectations of him being our go-to guy out of the WC formation.
    Lol wow not even a attempt to bs a possibly way Rex controls the O play calling? so are you saying only Rex wants the wildcat? Not Marty? lol even ravens just started to run some wildcat and they have a hundred million dollar qb I don't like the wildcat but I guess when qbs struggle teams will try it.. Ha tebow, funny he liked wildcat so much he didn't even go to tebow when he surely couldn't have done worse than Sanchez last yr.. Teams have adjusted to it now but we aren't the only team who still does it.. Nobody was complaining when brad smith was killing it.. But lets not switch subjects to wildcat which is what 5-7 plays a game? How does Rex control the rest?

Ha team is not " loaded with D talent" other than 2 maybe 3 Dline studs the D is very average.. Some don't understand the value of a good D cord who draws up complex schemes to cool the so called Greats such as Brady/BB Payton/brees.. Ask the players who actually play for him.. They tell you in detail how good Rex is.. Mike pettine, Rob Ryan, and others also have strong complex aggressive ds that confuse the hec out of teams.. I bring up pettine and Rob Ryan because look how much better bills D, saints D looks this yr compared to last.. Same as when Rex came here.. Rex needs a strong OC just like Sean Payton needs a strong DC to be great.. We have a great combo now with Marty, we just don't have anywhere near talent saints Do..

Rex has an overall winning record as head coach while having had an extremely low level of play at the quarterback position. I think that's the biggest factor in his favor.

Yeah...because of Rex.

I don't seem to remember Mornhinweg neutering the hell out of Nick Foles last year when he turned the ball over as a rookie. Don't seem to remember Marty constantly rolling out this wildcat bullsh*t in Philly either. This current offense has Rex's fingerprints all over it.

I love how everyone thinks Rex is at fault because of the conservative offense.

This is straight up Marty not trusting Geno. After the Cinci game you could tell that he became a hell of a lot more conservative, even against the Saints.

Maybe if Foles threw pick sixes every time he threw the ball, Marty would of ran the ball more.

As for Rex having an input on the offense? That is all SPECULATION. Seriously, where was it said that Rex took over the O? I can't seem to find it anywhere.

After week 2 against the Pats, everyone was crying to run the ball more. Well now we are and it's all Rex's fault.

Unbelievable.