Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: For everybody coming down on Rex Ryan lately.....a little food for thought.....

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Quote Originally Posted by fidelioion View Post
    Seriously, this is how you would like to Judge our HC's? If they can beat the Pats more than the Bill or Dolphins?

I would say this, in Rex's tenure the Jets overall division record has been pretty solid (I don't know the exact numbers) but they have done well, for the most part, in division games.
    Well if you are beating the team that has won the division title 9 out of the last 10 last seasons 4 times as much as any other division opponent, then it stands to reason you will have a decent division win/loss record.

Edit: Since Rex has taken over in 2009, the Jets are 14-15 in the division counting the post season and games played this season - not as good as I thought, but not horrible either.
    Last edited by ARodFLKeysJetsFan; 11-29-2013 at 09:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ARodFLKeysJetsFan View Post
    Well if you are beating the team that has won the division title 9 out of the last 10 last seasons 4 times as much as any other division opponent, then it stands to reason you will have a decent division win/loss record.

Since Rex has taken over in 2009, the Jets are 14-15 in the division counting the post season and games played this season - not as good as I thought, but not horrible either.
    I would have guess it was much better than that - but all things being considered it's not bad at all.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by fidelioion View Post
    I would have guess it was much better than that - but all things being considered it's not bad at all.
    I don't think it will happen this year, but, I'd really like to see Rex & the Jets beat the Dolphins twice in a season for once.

I don't think it will happen this year, but, I'd really like to see Rex & the Jets beat the Dolphins twice in a season for once.
    Me too...But this year just one win is going to be tough.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Remember the good old days 1998-2001 were were 8-0 against the Fins..

Practice Squad
    Quote Originally Posted by GenoT View Post
    None of the things your talking about Beerfish, can be blamed on Ryan.We have one corner with a bad hip, and a struggling rookie on the other side. This is the 2nd year in a row Rex has been screwed by his GM, at the QB position. No quality backup.
    Yep. Rex is not responsible for anything.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeSauer View Post
    So all injuries are Rex's fault and I suppose he hated Revis as well??

All League
    First off let me start by saying that I am not at all pleased with how the Jets have played the last 2 games. That being said. That blame falls on the players as much as the coaches. One thing that has jumped out to me the last couple of games is the Offensive Line's terrible performance in pass protection. The O-Line has not been giving Geno good protection at all to throw the ball and that's a big problem.

WR's and TE's need to catch the damn ball.....way too many drops happening the last couple of games and there is absolutely no excuse for that - that is just a straight up lack of effort and concentration.

Marty Mornhenwig seems to have gotten incredibly conservative in his play-calling. Regardless of the reason why, this is not helping Geno Smith - or the offense as a whole, in any way, shape, or form. It's doing quite the opposite actually. Cutting down the play book and giving him the same handful of plays to run over and over again is handcuffing Geno and making the offense incredibly predictable & unproductive and I think Marty & Rex both need to realize this - and in a hurry and start opening up the playbook again. If we are going to go down - I would personally rather see the Jets go down swinging.

Now all this being said I have seen alot of Rex bashing here the last few days and some of it is justified but I want to ask you all this question.

Since Rex Ryan took over the Jets in 2009, is their any team in our division that has beaten the Patriots?

As far as I can remember, the answer is that the Jets are the only AFC East team to beat the Patriots since Rex's arrival in 2009 and he has done it 3 times including once in the playoffs.

I am just saying, maybe Rex isn't as bad a coach as some of you would like to believe.

Does Rex have room for improvement?

Absolutely, but so does the rest of the team.
    ZZZ zzz ZZZ

I've always been a big Rex supporter but I've recently started to question whether he's the Jets best chance at a ring going forward. Defensively we will always be at least a "good" defense with him here ... but when he repeatedly has an offense that shrivels up like a grown man in a cold swimming pool it's very frustrating to watch. I know he's not calling the offensive plays but he is the head coach and the buck stops at him. When the same problem keeps occurring on the offensive side of the ball he has to be at least partially to blame. It's particularly frustrating when he gives us the same run around at press conferences regarding the stagnant offense.

I've always thought if he had a good QB we'd be a contender, but I wonder if he is having a negative impact on the development of our QB's. In todays NFL you absolutely must have a good QB and an offense that is capable of regularly putting up at least 20 points. I don't care how good your defense is, the rules are too slanted towards the offensive side of the ball now.
    Last edited by nyjfollower; 11-29-2013 at 11:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeSauer View Post
    Not for the QB position and the problems we've had in the secondary, no. If i think he screwed up, i'll say it.

Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
    Well, obviously having personalities in front of the podium we enjoy is more important to Jets fans than winning championships, so thats why we'll never win championships.
    Before it was the Sanchez defenders because `they like the kid.` Ever since it's been the Rex defenders because they enjoy his personality. There's a lot of people that want to continue with Geno for God knows how long.

So let's just stop wondering why we always suck, ok?
    We don't suck wonderboy.. In 5 years if 6-10 was our worst yr with mark Sanchez was once again worst qb in the league I"ll take that.. Look around the league, teams with as bad as a qb as mark Sanchez are lucky if they win more than 3-4 games.. It does suck that geno has sucked as bad as Sanchez past few games.. But he is a rookie adjusting from college offense.. And he certainly isn't getting any help from line or receivers.. The only star he has on O is his OC and that poor guy can't even get anything going because the O has sucked so bad.. Ha Rex haters conspire Rex is in Marty's ear whispering " if you don't run the ball here I'm gonna knock you out" lol that's guys are ridiculous.. There is just zero talent on O, and the moron to blame for that is gone ( MT) funny again Rex haters want to blame him for that to ha. We are doing a good job considering, Izdik would need atleast two offseason a to fix this miss MT left.. He didn't have much cap last yr to work with thanks to crap contracts like Holmes/Sanchez.. I agree about geno, but a a rookie playing like garbage is much different than a 4 yr vet .. He showed some promising things early in season.. There will be competition for qb next yr. hopefully sign a vet and get a steal in 3rd round. If geno ****s bed that bad we should skyrocket up draft board and then maybe take 1 of the blue chip qbs.. Leone of you Rex haters are madden/fantasy players who just don't understand the importance of defense, and/or are just turned off by it.. We beat better teams in playoffs because of our defense.. We beat two of the top teams this yr because of our defense.. Ofcourse it needs help from the O, they can't constantly give ball right back and keep D on field entire game.. If Izdik can revamp the O, 1 decent qb for once! and patch up that bleeding secondary, this team will compete for a title shortly..

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by nyjfollower View Post
    I've always been a big Rex supporter but I've recently started to question whether he's the Jets best chance at a ring going forward. Defensively we will always be at least a "good" defense with him here ... but when he repeatedly has an offense that shrivels up like a grown man in a cold swimming pool it's very frustrating to watch. I know he's not calling the offensive plays but he is the head coach and the buck stops at him. When the same problem keeps occurring on the offensive side of the ball he has to be the one to blame. It's particularly frustrating when he gives us the same run around at press conferences regarding the stagnant offense.

I've always thought if he had a good QB we'd be a contender, but I wonder if he is having a negative impact on the development of our QB's. In todays NFL you absolutely must have a good QB and an offense that is capable of regularly putting up at least 20 points. I don't care how good your defense is, the rules are too slanted towards the offensive side of the ball now.
    When the Tuna was successful how many rookie or young QB's did he win with?? Simms was on the Giants years before the Tuna. He had a rookie in Bledsoe the first pick in the draft but it wasn't till his 4th year that he had a decent season and made the Bowl and lost.. And the Tuna's 4 seasons with the Pats was 5-11,10-6,6-10 and 11-5 with 2 playoff wins.. With the Jets he had O'Donnell who was in a Bowl with Pitt and went 17 tds and 7 picks and the team was 9-7 due to some dumb plays by the Tuna.. 1998 he had Vinny and a career year(12-4) then Vinny was hurt in 99 and he screwed around till he let Lucas play and the team was 8-8.. And who knows what would have happened had Parcells committed to Peyton in 97 and told him I'll take you with the 1st pick in the draft?? Bottom line is how many HC's do well with crappy QB play?? Not many

I've always been a big Rex supporter but I've recently started to question whether he's the Jets best chance at a ring going forward. Defensively we will always be at least a "good" defense with him here ... but when he repeatedly has an offense that shrivels up like a grown man in a cold swimming pool it's very frustrating to watch. I know he's not calling the offensive plays but he is the head coach and the buck stops at him. When the same problem keeps occurring on the offensive side of the ball he has to be the one to blame. It's particularly frustrating when he gives us the same run around at press conferences regarding the stagnant offense.

I think you hit it on the head with your points. It seems like Rex wants to win games with his style, and using his method of defense always comes first, and that's where his ego and stubbornness really becomes his own worst enemy.

Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    When the Tuna was successful how many rookie or young QB's did he win with?? Simms was on the Giants years before the Tuna. He had a rookie in Bledsoe the first pick in the draft but it wasn't till his 4th year that he had a decent season and made the Bowl and lost.. And the Tuna's 4 seasons with the Pats was 5-11,10-6,6-10 and 11-5 with 2 playoff wins.. With the Jets he had O'Donnell who was in a Bowl with Pitt and went 17 tds and 7 picks and the team was 9-7 due to some dumb plays by the Tuna.. 1998 he had Vinny and a career year(12-4) then Vinny was hurt in 99 and he screwed around till he let Lucas play and the team was 8-8.. And who knows what would have happened had Parcells committed to Peyton in 97 and told him I'll take you with the 1st pick in the draft?? Bottom line is how many HC's do well with crappy QB play?? Not many
    The first thing that comes immediately to mind when you use Tuna as a comparison is that he would not have hesitated to pull Geno or previously Sanchez when the QB play was so far subpar.

I agree that not many HC's do well with crappy QB play. Is Rex having a negative impact on the development of the QB's though? Is keeping them out there while they're getting killed by opposing defenses while they look lost supposed to help? I don't think it does. I get that QB's need to "take their lumps" but at what point do lumps turn into deep cuts? I think Rex gives them too much rope to hang themselves.

I still support Rex by my patience is wearing thin after 5 years of mostly stagnant offensive play. I don't know how much longer I can hear "QB x" gives us the best chance to win when that QB is clearly having a negative impact on the field. Many rookie QB's have come into the league and had a positive impact since Rex has arrived. It's much easier in todays NFL for kids to walk in and play well.
    Last edited by nyjfollower; 11-29-2013 at 11:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    You're comparing apples and oranges with Rex and Parcells. Parcells was a chameleon with his offenses...Giants were a total ball control, run first team. Then with the Patriots, they actually chucked the ball all over the place. In Bledsoe's 2nd year in '94, I believe he broke the record at that time for most pass attempts by a QB in a year. When CMart was drafted that calmed down a little, but they still took their shots. Then with the Jets, Parcells kind of went in between with a balanced philosophy on offense.

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by pcola View Post
    In Idzik's defense, who the heck was he supposed to bring in at QB? We had no cap space so The shell of Garrard was all we could afford. In the draft, it was either Manuel at 9 or 13 or Smith in the second.

Regardless, we are still a long way from solving the QB issue.
    Hindsight is totally 20/20 but it could be argued that Rex should not have exposed MS in preseason exactly because the back up QB position was so tenuous. I love Rex too but he still has a hell of a lot to learn about being a HC.

I must admit that when MS was injured and would not start I felt it might be all for the best for the team. I never root for injury to friend or foe but just after the event I did think it was for the best.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

The first thing that comes immediately to mind when you use Tuna as a comparison is that he would not have hesitated to pull Geno or previously Sanchez when the QB play was so far subpar.
    This is Rex's biggest problem in my opinion.

I don't think Rex holds his players or his coaching staff accountable enough for their shortcomings or subpar performances.

If there is one thing that will end Rex's tenure here as Jets HC, I think this will eventually wind up being what does it.
    Last edited by ARodFLKeysJetsFan; 11-29-2013 at 11:36 AM.

I agree that not many HC's do well with crappy QB play. Is Rex having a negative impact on the development of the QB's though? Is keeping them out there while they're getting killed by opposing defenses while they look lost supposed to help? I don't think it does. I get that QB's need to "take their lumps" but at what point do lumps turn into deep cuts? I think Rex gives them too much rope to hang themselves.

I still support Rex by my patience is wearing thin after 5 years of mostly stagnant offensive play. I don't know how much longer I can hear "QB x" gives us the best chance to win when that QB is clearly having a negative impact on the field. Many rookie QB's have come into the league and had a positive impact since Rex has arrived. It's much easier in todays NFL for kids to walk in and play well.
    I hear what your saying.. And I was actually so mad at Rex for leaving buttfumble in there last yr I wanted Rex out. He had too much loyalty to Eric smith who got jets d torched 2 straight yrs.. But then when I saw McElroy try and throw down field in a game I said " holly crap Rex is right Sanchez may in fact give us best chance to win" this yr with Simms I don't know, I do think they are thinking about it.. Marty and Izdik are going to have a lot of say in that decision no way it's just Rex.. We have a very competent O coaching staff for once so I don't blame coaching for poor O play.. Just look at the lack of talent out there.. Even brick and mangold aren't looking great.. Is mangold sabotaging geno so his best pal buttfumble can have a shot at playing next yr? It's really a joke what's out there on O, and a shame Izdik couldn't sign a vet backup- now starter last offseason.. But he had no cap to work with. Especially $ at that position thanks to MT and worst contract ever - mark Sanchez.. Want to see what Rex/Marty can do together with a much more legit team.. They are two good at their respected specialties to be run out by such a weak offense and bad qb.. If next yr is anything like this Rex should go.. Would do both good to move on, just like Andy Reid..

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cleansweep2013 View Post
    Want to see what Rex/Marty can do together with a much more legit team.. They are two good at their respected specialties to be run out by such a weak offense and bad qb.. If next yr is anything like this Rex should go.. Would do both good to move on, just like Andy Reid..
    Andy Reid is doing well with a QB that was 19-5 in starts with the 49'ers before he was traded to the Chiefs..

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Had he pulled Rick Mirer earlier then 6 games and put in Lucas we may have made the playoffs.. Plus the Tuna went into the 99 season with just Ray Lucas as a backup who had a total of 7 attempted passes as a ST player with the Pats and Jets.. The Tuna had to give up a 4th rd draft pick for Mirer after Vinny was hurt Imagine if Rex did something that stupid??