Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Three major problems with the Jets organization

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like

Three major problems with the Jets organization

1) No accountability. In the post-Parcells era, when a player screws up, he is not immediately benched. Other (successful) teams bench a player even if he is the best on the team at his position. If you are part of the "club" you seem to get a pass. This seems true for the coaching staff as well.

2) No competition. No player has the fear that someone behind him is able/available to step in and take the job away.

3) Lack of talent evaluation. I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure the Jets have had the same (mediocre) scouting personnel for the longest time. There seems to be a disconnect between front office, personnel department and coaching staffs. I may not have phrased this well, but I watch former Jets players like Woodhead and Cochery playing lights out for their teams and I wonder why that is. I'm watching the Steelers/Ravens game and I see Ihedibo doing a "Ray Lewis" at the start of the game. He was barely a special teams player when he was a Jet.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritOfWeeb View Post
    1) No accountability. In the post-Parcells era, when a player screws up, he is not immediately benched. Other (successful) teams bench a player even if he is the best on the team at his position. If you are part of the "club" you seem to get a pass. This seems true for the coaching staff as well.

2) No competition. No player has the fear that someone behind him is able/available to step in and take the job away.

3) Lack of talent evaluation. I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure the Jets have had the same (mediocre) scouting personnel for the longest time. There seems to be a disconnect between front office, personnel department and coaching staffs. I may not have phrased this well, but I watch former Jets players like Woodhead and Cochery playing lights out for their teams and I wonder why that is. I'm watching the Steelers/Ravens game and I see Ihedibo doing a "Ray Lewis" at the start of the game. He was barely a special teams player when he was a Jet.
    I'm not so sure that other organizations bench their best players.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree the Jets Scouting dept and CS have questionable talent evaluation skills...that's evident.

And a BIG problem that I see is that certain players CAN be benched, even as a rookie (i.e., Milliner), others are allowed to continually suck for games without being benched. I don't get the logic that 'Milliner needs to sit and learn' on the sideline, but Geno can have over 20 turnovers and post QBRs in the 10's and 20's and stay on the field to 'develop'.

Which is it? Do you learn on the field only if you're a QB, but not a CB? Really?

Teams, like the military, have a hard time with double standards..either you produce (or not suck) or you sit.

Don't think the players don't notice.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenwave81 View Post
    I agree the Jets Scouting dept and CS have questionable talent evaluation skills...that's evident.

And a BIG problem that I see is that certain players CAN be benched, even as a rookie (i.e., Milliner), others are allowed to continually suck for games without being benched. I don't get the logic that 'Milliner needs to sit and learn' on the sideline, but Geno can have over 20 turnovers and post QBRs in the 10's and 20's and stay on the field to 'develop'.

Which is it? Do you learn on the field only if you're a QB, but not a CB? Really?

Teams, like the military, have a hard time with double standards..either you produce (or not suck) or you sit.

Don't think the players don't notice.
    lol yes that's exactly it. A QB is kindaaaa different then replacing a corner. Cmon everyone knows that. It's the nature of the game.

And regards to the OP, Cotchery played very well for us. You're talking as if he didn't and all of a sudden lighting it up in Pittsburgh. Woodhead just never got the chance and Inehdibo played well for us too. Just never got that chance to start and took his chance to do that when he hit free agency. This happens often, not just for the Jets.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    didn't the pats against us in the playoffs bench welker for a quarter for the feet jokes

Quote Originally Posted by TebowCan'tThrow View Post
    I'm not so sure that other organizations bench their best players.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    I really thought one of them was going to be us know it all's

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Milliner is getting better by playing. The long TD he and Reed gave up was really Reed's fault despite what Rex said. Look at the play again, Milliner had good coverage then Reed got in his way forcing Milliner to yield to Reed resulting in the TD.

Bottomline is the young players are sometimes better off playing through poor periods rather then going through prolonged benchings. The Jets have rookies at key positions: QB, CB & O-line. That is why I feel anything the Jets accomplish this year is gravy. Next year when they are $40M under the cap, and the bad contracts (Sanchez & Holmes) can be dealt with, Idzik will have the opportunity to bring in Free Agents to supplement the 10 or 12 draft the Jets will have.
    Last edited by JetsFanatic; 11-29-2013 at 08:00 AM.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsFanatic View Post
    Milliner is getting better by playing. The long TD he and Reed gave up was really Reed's fault despite what Rex said. Look at the play again, Milliner had good coverage then either Reed got in his way forecing Milliner to yield to Reed resulting in the TD.

Bottomline is the young players are sometimes better off playing through poor periods rather then going through prolonged benchings. The Jets have rookies at key positions: QB, CB & O-line. That is why I feel anything the Jets accomplish this year is gravy. Next year when they are $40M under the cap, and the bad contracts (Sanchez & Holmes) can be dealt with, Idzik will have the opportunity to bring in Free Agents to supplement the 10 or 12 draft the Jets will have.
    You are 100% correct here, Reed blew this big time and he can make all the excuses he wants. Miliner was clearly up the receivers a$$ when Reed comes from the side and Milliner clearly holds up for Reed to over run the receiver.

I have been quiet about Rex because I am torn, but this sh1t really bugs me, if you cant put your guys on the hot seat and hold them accountable both privately and publically you should not be coaching. no one gets a pass, they make way too much money to get a pass.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Bottomline is the young players are sometimes better off playing through poor periods ...
    Or in Geno's case, poor seasons.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Those three problems were not issues under Mangini either. Nit saying Mangini was a better coach, but just like Rex was given five years to grow, perhaps Mangini, who had far less coaching experience than Rex, should have been given the same five years to grow as well. Problem is we have an owner who cares more about personality and being a swell guy at press conferences than actual football.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    no, we have a owner that wants to win the SB in the offseason of football, and rex has done that for him. we are the SB champs of the back pages in the offseason,

Quote Originally Posted by kennyo7 View Post
    Those three problems were not issues under Mangini either. Nit saying Mangini was a better coach, but just like Rex was given five years to grow, perhaps Mangini, who had far less coaching experience than Rex, should have been given the same five years to grow as well. Problem is we have an owner who cares more about personality and being a swell guy at press conferences than actual football.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree on the scouting, it seems some new blood might jump start that area, aside from whoever evaluates the defensive lineman (that guy deserves a raise lol).

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetswin View Post
    I agree on the scouting, it seems some new blood might jump start that area, aside from whoever evaluates the defensive lineman (that guy deserves a raise lol).
    Idzik got hired too late to bring in his own scouts for the draft last year.

But they have made very nice in-season FA moves. I'm hoping Idzik's new team is responsible for this and it's the type of thing we can expect from this front office going forward.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    There's only 1 problem and I think it's funny that some people try to complicate the matter.

The 1 problem is the QB position. THat is also the main problem for most of the NFL, but their fans are retarded too and think it has to do with other things.

Keep drafting Qb's and hope that one is eventually good... That's all you can do in this league anymore.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritOfWeeb View Post

Accountability: No Team immediately benches any player because the player screwed up. Players have their snaps cut due to poor play, and the Jets have cut players snaps due to poor play. This season they've done it with Milliner, Jarrett, Ducasse, and Hill.

Competition. Seems to me that the players I listed above have plenty of reason to be concerned someone may take snaps away from them. And I suppose Cumberland and Winslow are not competing with each other for playing time?

Talent evaluation: Mo Wilk, Shel Rich, Snacks, Q, Ellis, and Demario Davis say hi. The Jets have one of the youngest D's in the NFL and they are going to be a force to be reckoned with once they figure out how to defend the deep ball. Offense is more of a problem, but the new front office, had no salary cap room and no talent on offense. What we are seeing now is what all of the experts expected. I fully anticipate the Jets to spend and draft offensive players, with the possible exception of a top tier safety or OLB. As to the player's you mention, "lights out" is not the way others would characterize their play. they are, admittedly, playing well in the roles they are asked to perform. As to each specifically, Ihedibo did nothing with the Jets to justify keeping him. Even the great Billichick cut him before he ended up in Baltimore. Perhaps he is a late bloomer. James Harrison was undrafted and cut by the Ravens before he ended up in Pitt. Cotchery was a mistake. And I think the Jets will admit to it., but c'mon he only does well because he has Ben throwing to him and the opposing D's spend their resources covering Brown, Sanders, and Miller. What he is, is a great 4th option if you've got better guys ahead of him. As to Woodhead, he's not a RB, he is a pass catcher out of the backfield and he stepped into and established role in SD where they like to throw to the RB. Plus, once again, he's got a pretty good QB throwing to him. Regardless, if Ihedibo, Woodhead, and Cothcery are the Jets biggest talent evaluation mistakes, I'd say they are doing pretty well.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    There's only 1 problem and I think it's funny that some people try to complicate the matter.

The 1 problem is the QB position. THat is also the main problem for most of the NFL, but their fans are retarded too and think it has to do with other things.

Keep drafting Qb's and hope that one is eventually good... That's all you can do in this league anymore.
    You are absolutely correct. I get caught up in it too, I have even in this thread. But you are 100% correct. The ONLY thing that really matters is the play of the QB.

the Packers are a fine example of that. A top team in the NFL that is now one of the worst teams in the NFL - did their management all of a sudden become bad? their scouts? their coaches?
    their receivers, RB's?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    You are all missing the point. We have half of a HC and that is a HUGE problem. Imagine if the manager of a Macy's or a Bloomindales only cared about the men's apparel section of his or her store. The rest of the store would go right down the toilet, same applies here, our HC only cares about defense and the offense perpetually sucks.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Milliner is getting better by playing. The long TD he and Reed gave up was really Reed's fault despite what Rex said. Look at the play again, Milliner had good coverage then Reed got in his way forcing Milliner to yield to Reed resulting in the TD.

I had a ex GF that you couldn't go near during her poor periods..

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    I had a ex GF that you couldn't go near during her poor periods..
    LOL! That certianly is a differant interpretation.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kennyo7 View Post
    Mangini had 2 years with the Jets and 2 with the browns.. Hell BB had 5 with the Browns and 1 with the Pats and had 1 winning year.. Then Brady happened..