Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Jets got penalized for the same ting Tomlin did and the ref was right there

Hall Of Fame
    Just your average golf coach

lolz

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    It all goes back to the Jets reputation from the Sal Alosi incident. We are never going to get the benefit of the doubt after that. After this neither will the Steelers.
    I thought the Tomlin incident was almost identical to a time that Belichick acted like he didn't know that he was blocking an opposing player from returning to the field after running out of bounds. In those cases each HC made a move as if to act like he didn't know what he was doing. Both of them failed miserably in fooling anyone. The Alosi incident was a little more obvious because of the lineup and there was actual contact with a player.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    LOL...did you just reference ChaCha.com as a source...LOL.

Again, I dont know what argument you are trying to make. Your original statement that NONE of the refs are average Joe's is just wrong. You acted like a smart a$$ and asked for proof for an example and I gave you some. Not from some irrelevant web site but from an ACTUAL NFL Ref who I know personally. Its OK, sometimes you can admit you were wrong and next time dont act like an a$$ when someone tries to correct you.
    I was acting like a A$$ because I asked you a question who was a teacher?? My original statement was "Most of the Old dudes are wealthy men" I never said none are avg joes lying isn't nice.. Speaking of acting like a a$$ since you know one golf buddy that means no one has money?? Talk about being full of yourself..

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    CBS did a feature on Refs some years ago and they had Lawyers,Doctors,Biz owners etc among that group.. How many young refs under 40 do you ever see?? None of them are average joe's and that was my point..
    I was acting like a A$$ because I asked you a question who was a teacher?? My original statement was "Most of the Old dudes are wealthy men" I never said none are avg joes lying isn't nice.. Speaking of acting like a a$$ since you know one golf buddy that means no one has money?? Talk about being full of yourself..
    LOL...

I also never said none of them have money, please show me where I said that.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Quote Originally Posted by fnordcircle View Post
    Just because tinfoil hat types want to ascribe to conspiracy what is actually just the average human's capacity for error doesn't make me naive. Thinking that docking some guy for missing a holding play is either fair or the solution is retarded.

The only thing that will fix ref errors, or at least significantly diminish them, is more technology like ****ing lasers and **** for determining ball placement and 22 booth officials monitoring each monitoring a player for penalties, possession and field position. Which would be a ****ty game to watch.
    That's interesting.

I sure didn't need laser technology or 22 booth officials to see that Mike Tomlin clearly had a foot on the playing field last night which forced Jacoby Jones to slow down so his player could catch Jones from behind.

And yes, you are extremely nave.

Eh it's not about the age it's about fining some dude making a middle class income.
    Negative. I don't care about the age.

If teams lose that I like and the play is fair, we can complain about the players, coaching, etc. When the referees make some bull squat call because they think they can interpret the rules any way they like, I have an issue with that. A fumble is a fumble. Was the guy's knee down? Yes? No fumble.

Other plays are more difficult to discern. Point is, refs blow a lot of easy calls, let alone the difficult ones. Do your job right, or lose it. If you don't want to hurt any ref's feelings by letting them do what they want, you get blown calls, ****ty calls, non-calls, favoritism and the good ole home field advantage.

You racist you...
    LOL. I don't get it, but it was funny.

Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    LOL...did you just reference ChaCha.com as a source...LOL. Again, I dont know what argument you are trying to make. Your original statement that NONE of the refs are average Joe's is just wrong. You acted like a smart a$$ and asked for proof for an example and I gave you some. Not from some irrelevant web site but from an ACTUAL NFL Ref who I know personally. Its OK, sometimes you can admit you were wrong and next time dont act like an a$$ when someone tries to correct you.
    The thing is whom or what do we believe. Being Hispanic American I think I'l go with ChaCha.com..just saying..

Just because tinfoil hat types want to ascribe to conspiracy what is actually just the average human's capacity for error doesn't make me naive. Thinking that docking some guy for missing a holding play is either fair or the solution is retarded.

The only thing that will fix ref errors, or at least significantly diminish them, is more technology like ****ing lasers and **** for determining ball placement and 22 booth officials monitoring each monitoring a player for penalties, possession and field position. Which would be a ****ty game to watch. But it'd be better than $50 fine every time a ref who is trying to watch several things at once misses a call or makes the wrong call since they don't have the benefit of omniscience like every fan of the NFL.

What jobs are you people working, in 2013, where people are docking your pay that you advocate some sort of libertarian plutocratic dystopian nitemare.
    Then why dock the players' pay when they commit a personal foul? Many times it's a stupid mistake.

It's like Congress and the Senate. Pass laws that don't apply to them?

And, you spelled nightmare wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by ARodFLKeysJetsFan View Post
    That's interesting.

I sure didn't need laser technology or 22 booth officials to see that Mike Tomlin clearly had a foot on the playing field last night which forced Jacoby Jones to slow down so his player could catch Jones from behind.

And yes, you are extremely nave.
    Refs should be fined for that. Easy call, no?

Guarantee you they'd never miss that again.

Fining refs for missing a call is like fining me for not knowing some guy's right leg is broken when he doesn't have any deformities in it, isn't complaining of any pain in it, and has a broken femur in his left leg that I'm stabilizing. If the x-ray later shows the broken femur and tibia, should I be fined if I miss the tibia break when there are no signs of it?

then again, maybe it was a cadaver...

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by SAM View Post
    Fining refs for missing a call is like fining me for not knowing some guy's right leg is broken when he doesn't have any deformities in it, isn't complaining of any pain in it, and has a broken femur in his left leg that I'm stabilizing. If the x-ray later shows the broken femur and tibia, should I be fined if I miss the tibia break when there are no signs of it?
    That's a terrible analogy.

No, the NFL is a game, with two sides trying to better the other. There is a third entity, the league (the refs), who need to have the utmost integrity and impartiality when mediating the games. This must include the correct calls, ESPECIALLY during crucial and critical moments of the games. If the referees are incapable of doing so, for whatever reason, then maybe they should be reprimanded or ultimately removed.

With your analogy, if you screwed up (I'm assuming you're a physician), and it caused some kind of permanent outcome, is your medical director going to talk to you about it, or do you just move on to the next week and work on the next patient - maybe you'll get that one right?

I'm pretty sure the former would occur. The refs are immune at this point. Allowing them to referee the post season as a reward for good officiating is like saying that you'll work on the high profile people as they come into the hospital (if you're squared away) so the hospital/emergency room can hide the screw ups so they don't make major headlines by messing up something.

My higher ups understood that there was no reason to believe there was an injury to the other leg, out in the field we don't have an x-ray machine. In this case Tomlin probably should have been flagged, but to fine a ref for any mistake is a little over the top, until they put 22 refs on the field they are going to still miss calls. I like my analogy, in the field, like on the field, everything happens at a quicker pace and it's easier to miss things. At the hospital, like at home, you are in a position to see much more and have a chance to take a second look at things.

My higher ups understood that there was no reason to believe there was an injury to the other leg, out in the field we don't have an x-ray machine. In this case Tomlin probably should have been flagged, but to fine a ref for any mistake is a little over the top, until they put 22 refs on the field they are going to still miss calls. I like my analogy, in the field, like on the field, everything happens at a quicker pace and it's easier to miss things. At the hospital, like at home, you are in a position to see much more and have a chance to take a second look at things.
    We can disagree. I understand what you're trying to say, but let's bring in the entire season's history, and extrapolate those mistakes over the rest of the regular season and into the post season. The lack of calls, poor calls, bad calls, non-calls is unacceptable, especially those during crucial moments. Some sort of punishment that impacts the officials so they have a more focused approach to the game may be warranted.

If you're a physician and you mess up weekly, you'd probably not be a physician for long, no?

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    Refs should be fined for that. Easy call, no?

Guarantee you they'd never miss that again.
    Exactly right.

We can disagree. I understand what you're trying to say, but let's bring in the entire season's history, and extrapolate those mistakes over the rest of the regular season and into the post season. The lack of calls, poor calls, bad calls, non-calls is unacceptable, especially those during crucial moments. Some sort of punishment that impacts the officials so they have a more focused approach to the game may be warranted.

If you're a physician and you mess up weekly, you'd probably not be a physician for long, no?
    I agree the need to minimize mistakes, these guys are in front a millions of people with games on the line. Just look at this years NE @ NYJ, on Gostkowski's game tying kick the Jets did the same thing the Patriots did in OT, one was called one wasn't. The head of officiating had even described the rule incorrectly in the video description, obviously resultant from a final version of the rule being different than draft versions of the rule. The overtime call was correct by the letter of the law, called for the first time in league history to decide the game. The real issue however is the poor job the NFL did to educate the teams. I think something that would increase the quality of reffing would be full time refs like they have in other sports. It was one of the major issues of the referee lockout, which the NFL wanted but eventually caved in on. The regular refs are certainly better than the replacement refs, but full time refs in the long run would be better for the game long term.

Quote Originally Posted by 10PennyToColes87 View Post
    That's a terrible analogy.
    If you determine the merits of an analogy solely based on whether or not it conflicts with your own stance I can definitely see why you find it terrible.

And, you spelled nightmare wrong.
    I wish they would fine you for your posting.