Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another thing hurting this offence

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Another thing hurting this offence

I cant wait for us to replace the likes of Holmes, Winslow and Nelson because their availabilty at practice is another contributing factor to why this offence stinks IMO.

Rex touched on this last week and I think he has a point, how can we be productive and on the same page when this group is never together on the practise field due to injuries, pitch counts etc?

I think this is another explanation for why we struggle on the road, noise is obviously going to cause some communication issues but it's no wonder when things have not been ironed out on the practise field, they just don't seem to be on the same page.

I'm not making excuses for the QB, even if Simms comes in and takes some reps is it really going to help him with DB's running routes for him all week because of the same durability issues?

Winslow, Holmes and even Nelson have missed a lot of time, throw in Kerleys recent injury and this offensive abomination is to be expected when you have guys who are only available to roll out on Sunday afternoons.
    Last edited by Harrier; 11-29-2013 at 08:04 AM.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
    I cant wait for us to replace the likes of Holmes, Winslow and Nelson because their availabilty at practice is another contributing factor to why this offence stinks IMO.

Rex touched on this last week and I think he has a point, how can we be productive and on the same page when this group is never together on the practise field due to injuries, pitch counts etc?

I think this is another explanation for why we struggle on the road, noise is obviously going to cause some communication issues but it's no wonder when things have not been ironed out on the practise field, they just don't seem to be on the same page.

I'm not making excuses for the QB, even if Simms comes in and takes some reps is it really going to help him with DB's running routes for him all week because of the same durability issues?

Winslow, Holmes and even Nelson have missed a lot of time, throw in Kerleys recent injury and this offensive abomination is to be expected when you have guys who are only available to roll out on Sunday afternoons.
    Good point. While Smith has been criticized for not throwing his receivers open this year, I have to believe that what you pointed out contributes to that. It's hard to throw to a spot expecting your receiver to be there if you are not getting the practice reps in with the receivers (see the players you mentioned) or if you can't rely on the receiver to run the correct route (see Hill).

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    You may have a point about the offenSe and the practiCe schedules of the players. A lack of playing time will hurt any team.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Maury77 View Post
    Good point. While Smith has been criticized for not throwing his receivers open this year, I have to believe that what you pointed out contributes to that. It's hard to throw to a spot expecting your receiver to be there if you are not getting the practice reps in with the receivers (see the players you mentioned) or if you can't rely on the receiver to run the correct route (see Hill).
    I agree, just don't think this point has been emphasised enough. Even if you had a vet back there, if you can't get the reps as a unit on the practice field then problems are to be expected on gamedays.

Throw in the fact you have a rookie and its a recipe for disaster, MM has to be p1ssed at the availability and durability of these guys.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    While I agree it's a problem. Every team in the NFL deals with similar problems. Guys are hurt and not practicing everywhere.

The only problem with the Jets offense is lack of talent at just about every skill position.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    The offense has looked even worse in games that Kerley hasn't played. He and Geno seemed to be on the same page.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is just another piece to the overall puzzle. This entire offense needs to be overhauled. We need a stud RB, TE, 2 WR's, 2 guards sand maybe a QB. And we need to find replacements for Brick and Mangold as they look to be close to the end also. Gonna take at least two years for us to be considered a low end playoff team. At the same time we need a pass rushing OLB, 2 CB and 2 safeties. This team is pretty awful and its amazing we are 5-6 and still in the hunt.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TebowCan'tThrow View Post
    This is just another piece to the overall puzzle. This entire offense needs to be overhauled. We need a stud RB, TE, 2 WR's, 2 guards sand maybe a QB. And we need to find replacements for Brick and Mangold as they look to be close to the end also. Gonna take at least two years for us to be considered a low end playoff team. At the same time we need a pass rushing OLB, 2 CB and 2 safeties. This team is pretty awful and its amazing we are 5-6 and still in the hunt.
    Every team in the league has holes. Not every team is great at every position. We need some help but I'm not nearly as pessimistic as this. I would say..

1-We need two WR's (this is the place we need the most help)
    2-We need one guard (but maybe none if Winters is showing progress to the coaches- I don't know what they're seeing.) I would be fine with keeping Colon
    3-1 CB (assuming Cro goes) Milner will be fine. If Cro doesn't then we're fine
    4- A cover safety would be good.
    5- Clearly we need a QB - but that's a much bigger problem.

We're fine at RB, fine at TE (yes not great but there's talent there) We don't need an OLB (a high paid pass rushing OLB would be a luxury this team can't afford) the defense will be fine with the current front 4.

Considering all of the cap space we're going to have all of the holes I see can be picked up in Free Agency this year.
    Last edited by fidelioion; 11-29-2013 at 09:30 AM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fidelioion View Post
    Every team in the league has holes. Not every team is great at every position. We need some help but I'm not nearly as pessimistic as this. I would say..

1-We need two WR's (this is the place we need the most help)
    2-We need one guard (but maybe none if Winters is showing progress to the coaches- I don't know what they're seeing.) I would be fine with keeping Colon
    3-1 CB (assuming Cro goes) Milner will be fine. If Cro doesn't then we're fine
    fine? Millner "will be" fine? And you know this how? He is constantly beaten badly. His technique is awful. He doesn't look back to the ball (see: Wilson). Cro is "fine"? He has been downright awful this season. He has been a liability out there. The Jets secondary is just atrocious, with the CBs actually as bad as the safeties. Allen was the best player out there and now he is benched for a dysfunctional Ed Reed.

4- A cover safety would be good.
    5- Clearly we need a QB - but that's a much bigger problem.

We're fine at RB, fine at TE (yes not great but there's talent there) We don't need an OLB (a high paid pass rushing OLB would be a luxury this team can't afford) the defense will be fine with the current front 4.
    "Fine at RB?" Are you serious? You like Ivory and Powell out there? Those guys are mediocre and stop gaps. Ivory has an occasional burst, but waaaaay too infrequently. Idzik got hosed by the Saints on that one. THe Jets are "fine" at TE? That is downright delusional considering the contributions many other teams get from the TE position. The Jets TEs are pathetic. Cumby is a nice 2nd or 3rd TE. We don't have a #1 TE because Winslow doesn't count. He's on the bench way too much, be it his chronic injuries or suspension. We outright suck at TE and have one of the worst RB corps in the NFL.

Considering all of the cap space we're going to have all of the holes I see can be picked up in Free Agency this year.
    I'd like to see Idzik pull a miracle out of his hat, but I don't suggest holding your breath for that when free agency starts.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dcat View Post
    fine? Millner "will be" fine? And you know this how? He is constantly beaten badly. His technique is awful. He doesn't look back to the ball (see: Wilson). Cro is "fine"? He has been downright awful this season. He has been a liability out there. The Jets secondary is just atrocious, with the CBs actually as bad as the safeties. Allen was the best player out there and now he is benched for a dysfunctional Ed Reed.

"Fine at RB?" Are you serious? You like Ivory and Powell out there? Those guys are mediocre and stop gaps. Ivory has an occasional burst, but waaaaay too infrequently. Idzik got hosed by the Saints on that one. THe Jets are "fine" at TE? That is downright delusional considering the contributions many other teams get from the TE position. The Jets TEs are pathetic. Cumby is a nice 2nd or 3rd TE. We don't have a #1 TE because Winslow doesn't count. He's on the bench way too much, be it his chronic injuries or suspension. We outright suck at TE and have one of the worst RB corps in the NFL.

I'd like to see Idzik pull a miracle out of his hat, but I don't suggest holding your breath for that when free agency starts.

The Jets defense is going to have to adapt to a post Revis world and begin giving corners safety support (like every other team in the league) Yes, these guys aren't world beaters but the Jets defense has been solid. I keep hearing how this is a top 5 defense, yet keep hearing how bad it is...It can't be both. If it's a top 5 defense, then it should be sufficient to win, no?. As mentioned I think people want stars at every position. You can't have it in a tight salary cap league.

Yes, I think Ivory and Powell have been fine.

Again with the TE - we can't have stars everywhere. If you want two high priced WR's than you have to sacrifice somewhere else. If you want to say a TE and only one WR (instead of two) - I'll agree. But the point is - you can't have it all. No team can and you have to make choices.

When I say "fine" I mean it literally - not guys you want to build a team around but put in the proper situations they can be successful.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    our corners aren't fine. They suck. Cro is vastly overpaid for his performance.
    our RBs are pedestrian.
    our TEs aren't even close to acceptable.

I'm not asking for "stars" at every position. I want competence. And at CB, TE and RB we are not.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    our RBs are pedestrian.

I'm not asking for "stars" at every position. I want competence. And at CB, TE and RB we are not.
    Cro is certainly overpaid, but he's competent. Watch around the league - teams are scoring a lot of points and throwing for lot's of yards. You might not like it, but that's the NFL right now. Corners and safeties are barely able to play anymore.

As said, if you don't like Cumberland or don't think Salas has any future than get a TE instead of a second WR and keep Nelson or some other cheap but competent replacement.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is with the cap space we have we'll be able to fill many holes - that can make this very competitive next year. I don't think it's a multiple year transition to become a playoff team.

I would love to have great players everywhere too, but I think we can field a good, competitive team next year with what's available.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    our biggest hole is the fact that our HC couldn't give a s*it about offense and is only concerned with defense, which happens to suck too

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm hoping the Jets do not go overboard in Free Agency, trying to plug every hole in the lineup. IMO, there are very few UFA who would be big upgrades. Their are, however, 3 players who will be available who I would love to see the Jets sign. OG Wade Miller from Houston would be a huge upgrade and would do much to solidify the OL play. OLB Anthony Spencer has missed almost all of this season due to surgery, but is expected to be 100% by January. The Cowboys have franchised him 2 seasons in a row and he should be available. Put him in Pace's spot and watch the sacks pile up. FS Jairus Byrd would be a huge upgrade in the secondary.

As to the rest of the positions, it would be OK to sign a UFA if the price is right to upgrade at RT, RB, or WR. Like Michael Oher, Darren McFadden, or Golden Tate,. . I'd have no objection to bringing him in if the price was right, but would prefer to address these positions in the draft.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    our RBs are pedestrian.

Cro has been playing hurt all year. I have more respect for him for being a gamer.Cro hurt is still a better option than Walls, or Wilson. Cro was a top three corner last year, he doesn't suck, never has sucked.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    he sucks right now. Don't care about last year. It's not relevant to now. He is a liability out there. Just because he is better than Wilson (who isn't?) and Walls doesn't mean he is good. Your logic is faulty. All 3 suck. Now. Fall/Winter 2013.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    he sucks right now. Don't care about last year. It's not relevant to now. He is a liability out there. Just because he is better than Wilson (who isn't?) and Walls doesn't mean he is good. Your logic is faulty. All 3 suck. Now. Fall/Winter 2013.
    So every player who plays hurt, whose performance drops should be dumped. Good way to attract free agents. Cromartie was a shutdown corner last year, covered every teams #1, and went to a pro bowl. To me its insane to let him go, especially since the only free agent corner who could be better is Talib.Some of those long completions, would not have happened if Coples was doing what he was getting paid to do. That long completion Flacco had last week was a perfect pass, it had to be because cro had good coverage. If somebody was in Flacco's face, that wouldn't have been a completion.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    you vastly overestimate Cro's talent. Much of his success here was based on Revis covering the best WRs. Cro got seconds. He has always been a penalty machine, can't turn his hips and now can't keep up with most speedy WRs. He was a disappointment in San Diego and built his name here riding on Revis' coat tail. Last year was his best in his career and it was an aberration.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Crazy how this thread ended up with debate about the other side of the ball lol!

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    you vastly overestimate Cro's talent. Much of his success here was based on Revis covering the best WRs. Cro got seconds. He has always been a penalty machine, can't turn his hips and now can't keep up with most speedy WRs. He was a disappointment in San Diego and built his name here riding on Revis' coat tail. Last year was his best in his career and it was an aberration.
    He was a very good corner for San diego. The critisizm was his tackling, not his coverage skills. He can't turn his hips because thats his injury.LOL. He has trouble with double moves and cutting with the receiver. Cromartie was never torched when revis was healthy, offenses attacked the middle of the field because of our safety's and slow linebackers