Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 83

Thread: How to build a Hall of Fame Quarterback

  1. #1

    How to build a Hall of Fame Quarterback

    Why is this team always looking for somebody else to be "THE MAN" at QB? Why can't this team realize that who your quarterback is isn't as important as WHO YOUR OFFENSIVE LINE IS? Case in point: TOM BRADY... Tom Brady was a 6th round pick for a reason... Numerous other teams passed on Tom Brady, round after round, because guess what... TOM BRADY WASN'T CONSIDERED TO BE THAT GOOD! All the scouts were right about Brady. All of his shortcomings noted in the scouting reports WERE RIGHT.


    Now ask yourself, "What did Bill Belichick do that turned Tom Brady, a 6th round pick, into a Hall of Fame quarterback? Does Tom Brady have magical powers no other quarterback in the league has? OF COURSE NOT. What Tom Brady has, and has had his whole career, is A KICK-ASS OFFENSIVE LINE!!! Remember the undefeated season? Were you there? Did you watch it? I did... and guess what? TOM BRADY HAD LIKE 10 FREAKIN' SECONDS TO THROW THE BALL ON EVERY LAST PLAY!!! Nobody layed a hand on this guy! He just stood there making reads for like 10 Seconds! You give that kind of time to ANY NFL QUARTERBACK and they will be a Hall of Fame Quarterback in no time!


    Contrast this to how much time Kellen Clemens had to throw the ball... how much time Mark Sanchez had... how much time Geno Smith has...


    What I'm saying is, Tom Brady is Kellen Clemens with a Hall of Fame Offensive Line in front of him! Any Quarterback, ANY OF 'EM, would be a Probowler with the kind of time Brady gets!


    WHY CAN'T THIS TEAM LEARN THIS SIMPLE LESSON??? WHY!!! WHY??? WHY!!!




    WHY???????

  2. #2
    I see you keep referencing this Tom Brady character.

    Quote Originally Posted by billygreen View Post
    What I'm saying is, Tom Brady is Kellen Clemens with a Hall of Fame Offensive Line in front of him! Any Quarterback, ANY OF 'EM, would be a Probowler with the kind of time Brady gets!
    ^And……no. You lose all credibility there.

    Valid points, but Brady has developed into a great QB. Yes his line should be credited for a lot, but so should Dante Scarnecchia, the o-line coach.

    You're right about the development of a good QB, but the QB has to have it upstairs as well. Can Geno or Sanchez be a HOF QB with a great line? HOF o-lines are not easy to come by.

  3. #3
    Brady and Belichick sure do win a lot for two guys, that this board is convinced aren't really that good.

    Brady's arm got stronger and his frame filled out. He's a quick study, which has allowed NE to continually rework the offense to fit the personnel (2003, 2007, and 2011 offenses were all different). And he processes information quickly on the field, which makes it difficult for defenses to trick or confuse him. Also, pre-injury Brady had some of the best in-pocket movement that has ever been seen.

    He's a HOF QB in his own right, he's not a product of an invincible offensive line. Brady (to a lesser extent than Manning) helps the offensive line by continually making sure that they know what their assignments are before almost every play..

  4. #4
    The league spends a lot of hate on a guy who is so average. I personally don't care about his place in history but I know the guy is far from his scouting report.

    My advice is that if he's nothing more than a 6th rounder, then don't waste so much time on him because it's pretty obvious BB will be trying to upgrade him soon. (lol)

    After all, how difficult is it to upgrade a 6th rounder?

  5. #5
    woody Johnson would rather win the snoopy bowl againt the giants then a SB. until woody sells the the team, expect the mediocrity to continue. woody wants to rule the back page sports pages in the offseason, and he has accomplished that, so in woodys eyes, hes a winner

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdanNJ View Post
    woody Johnson would rather win the snoopy bowl againt the giants then a SB. until woody sells the the team, expect the mediocrity to continue. woody wants to rule the back page sports pages in the offseason, and he has accomplished that, so in woodys eyes, hes a winner
    I'm not sure about this .., do you remember the Hess years ???

  7. #7
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    Posts
    12,749
    Quote Originally Posted by JB1089 View Post
    Brady and Belichick sure do win a lot for two guys, that this board is convinced aren't really that good.

    Brady's arm got stronger and his frame filled out. He's a quick study, which has allowed NE to continually rework the offense to fit the personnel (2003, 2007, and 2011 offenses were all different). And he processes information quickly on the field, which makes it difficult for defenses to trick or confuse him. Also, pre-injury Brady had some of the best in-pocket movement that has ever been seen.

    He's a HOF QB in his own right, he's not a product of an invincible offensive line. Brady (to a lesser extent than Manning) helps the offensive line by continually making sure that they know what their assignments are before almost every play..
    I disagree with you in a small way. Let Brady try throwing while on his back and see what the results would be. The other factor is CONSISTENCY. Brady knows the play book as well as any coach. Its the only playbook he has had in the NFL. If he were traded to the Jets he'd have to think before he throws and then run for his life because the Ol sucks. He would not be the same Brady as in NE especially after he absorbs a few monster hits.
    Last edited by Kentucky Jet; 11-30-2013 at 07:58 AM.

  8. #8

  9. #9
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Long Island NY
    Posts
    644
    Quote Originally Posted by billygreen View Post
    Why is this team always looking for somebody else to be "THE MAN" at QB? Why can't this team realize that who your quarterback is isn't as important as WHO YOUR OFFENSIVE LINE IS? Case in point: TOM BRADY... Tom Brady was a 6th round pick for a reason... Numerous other teams passed on Tom Brady, round after round, because guess what... TOM BRADY WASN'T CONSIDERED TO BE THAT GOOD! All the scouts were right about Brady. All of his shortcomings noted in the scouting reports WERE RIGHT.


    Now ask yourself, "What did Bill Belichick do that turned Tom Brady, a 6th round pick, into a Hall of Fame quarterback? Does Tom Brady have magical powers no other quarterback in the league has? OF COURSE NOT. What Tom Brady has, and has had his whole career, is A KICK-ASS OFFENSIVE LINE!!! Remember the undefeated season? Were you there? Did you watch it? I did... and guess what? TOM BRADY HAD LIKE 10 FREAKIN' SECONDS TO THROW THE BALL ON EVERY LAST PLAY!!! Nobody layed a hand on this guy! He just stood there making reads for like 10 Seconds! You give that kind of time to ANY NFL QUARTERBACK and they will be a Hall of Fame Quarterback in no time!

    This is what I advocate prior to each draft. I got laughed at and harangued last year for wanting Warmack at #9, and for advocating for DeCastro the year before, etc. OP I'm sure your exaggerating to make a point re turning a pigs ear into a silk purse but I'll maintain to my last breath that you can't pass or run w/o an OL. It's an OL more so than a QB that brings the best out of the offense.
    Look at our DL. We now have to do the same for the OL. VIA draft or FA, with a top OL we're a playoff team even with the likes of Geno. MS has already proven that.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by LIJetsFan View Post
    This is what I advocate prior to each draft. I got laughed at and harangued last year for wanting Warmack at #9, and for advocating for DeCastro the year before, etc. OP I'm sure your exaggerating to make a point re turning a pigs ear into a silk purse but I'll maintain to my last breath that you can't pass or run w/o an OL. It's an OL more so than a QB that brings the best out of the offense.
    Look at our DL. We now have to do the same for the OL. VIA draft or FA, with a top OL we're a playoff team even with the likes of Geno. MS has already proven that.
    That awesome D line we have has done wonders for our pass defense…

    You need players at a variety of positions on both sides of the ball to be good. Kellen Clemens does not become Joe Montana behind the greatest O line ever….

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by LIJetsFan View Post
    This is what I advocate prior to each draft. I got laughed at and harangued last year for wanting Warmack at #9, and for advocating for DeCastro the year before, etc. OP I'm sure your exaggerating to make a point re turning a pigs ear into a silk purse but I'll maintain to my last breath that you can't pass or run w/o an OL. It's an OL more so than a QB that brings the best out of the offense.
    Look at our DL. We now have to do the same for the OL. VIA draft or FA, with a top OL we're a playoff team even with the likes of Geno. MS has already proven that.
    I wanted Warmack more than anything.

  12. #12
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Long Island NY
    Posts
    644
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    I wanted Warmack more than anything.
    This is just idle speculation but if we take Warmack in the 1st then all the rest of the OL prospects move up a bit. So even if Winters was BPA (I am a huge BPA advocate) then he might not be there in the 3rd and we get a skill player in his stead.

  13. #13
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Long Island NY
    Posts
    644
    Quote Originally Posted by Conkboy View Post
    That awesome D line we have has done wonders for our pass defense…

    You need players at a variety of positions on both sides of the ball to be good. Kellen Clemens does not become Joe Montana behind the greatest O line ever….
    MS was serviceable behind a great OL. If that doesn't convince you then nothing will.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by LIJetsFan View Post
    This is just idle speculation but if we take Warmack in the 1st then all the rest of the OL prospects move up a bit. So even if Winters was BPA (I am a huge BPA advocate) then he might not be there in the 3rd and we get a skill player in his stead.
    I'm okay with taking the BPA, and I still think Milliner will be okay in the long run, but I wanted to bolster the o-line. Cooper would have been great if ARZ didn't take him at 7. I would have been fine with Austin at 9 as well. Anything offense.

    If our offense was top 10 at this point, the defense would be #1, easily.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by LIJetsFan View Post
    MS was serviceable behind a great OL. If that doesn't convince you then nothing will.
    I am not against a dominate offensive line. My point is that a great O line will take a bad QB and make him serviceable. A great QB will make a serviceable OL look great.

  16. #16
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Hawthorne NJ
    Posts
    7,951
    Quote Originally Posted by billygreen View Post
    Why is this team always looking for somebody else to be "THE MAN" at QB? Why can't this team realize that who your quarterback is isn't as important as WHO YOUR OFFENSIVE LINE IS? Case in point: TOM BRADY... Tom Brady was a 6th round pick for a reason... Numerous other teams passed on Tom Brady, round after round, because guess what... TOM BRADY WASN'T CONSIDERED TO BE THAT GOOD! All the scouts were right about Brady. All of his shortcomings noted in the scouting reports WERE RIGHT.


    Now ask yourself, "What did Bill Belichick do that turned Tom Brady, a 6th round pick, into a Hall of Fame quarterback? Does Tom Brady have magical powers no other quarterback in the league has? OF COURSE NOT. What Tom Brady has, and has had his whole career, is A KICK-ASS OFFENSIVE LINE!!! Remember the undefeated season? Were you there? Did you watch it? I did... and guess what? TOM BRADY HAD LIKE 10 FREAKIN' SECONDS TO THROW THE BALL ON EVERY LAST PLAY!!! Nobody layed a hand on this guy! He just stood there making reads for like 10 Seconds! You give that kind of time to ANY NFL QUARTERBACK and they will be a Hall of Fame Quarterback in no time!


    Contrast this to how much time Kellen Clemens had to throw the ball... how much time Mark Sanchez had... how much time Geno Smith has...


    What I'm saying is, Tom Brady is Kellen Clemens with a Hall of Fame Offensive Line in front of him! Any Quarterback, ANY OF 'EM, would be a Probowler with the kind of time Brady gets!


    WHY CAN'T THIS TEAM LEARN THIS SIMPLE LESSON??? WHY!!! WHY??? WHY!!!




    WHY???????
    Sorry man, but you're putting the cart before the horse. Get the ball out in less than 2.5 seconds and magically your line becomes great. Hold the ball for 4 seconds, and conversely the linemen become garbage. Now I grant you that Winters is often not giving Geno 2.5 seconds, and when he does it's at the expense of Mangold picking up blitzers, becuse he needs to watch Winters' back (Which incidentally they never did for Vlad), but the argument you're making is full of holes. Geno needs to get the ball out, and trust his receivers, even if they don't deserve the trust.

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    I see you keep referencing this Tom Brady character.



    ^And……no. You lose all credibility there.

    Valid points, but Brady has developed into a great QB. Yes his line should be credited for a lot, but so should Dante Scarnecchia, the o-line coach.

    You're right about the development of a good QB, but the QB has to have it upstairs as well. Can Geno or Sanchez be a HOF QB with a great line? HOF o-lines are not easy to come by.
    Stop with the Brady is not that good stuff, He might be the greatest QB of all time. On our front we need to draft a QB in round 1 and let the Geno time go, he will never be that good, time to move on.

  18. #18
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Long Island NY
    Posts
    644
    Quote Originally Posted by Conkboy View Post
    I am not against a dominate offensive line. My point is that a great O line will take a bad QB and make him serviceable. A great QB will make a serviceable OL look great.
    Teams can be methodical about building a very good OL if they choose to. To get a very good QB teams have to be lucky.

    You don't have to be in the right place at the right time for an OL like you do for a QB. There are only so many very good QB's to go around. Should the rest of the NFL just quit?

    That is my point, you do what you can.

  19. #19
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Hawthorne NJ
    Posts
    7,951
    Quote Originally Posted by LIJetsFan View Post
    This is what I advocate prior to each draft. I got laughed at and harangued last year for wanting Warmack at #9, and for advocating for DeCastro the year before, etc. OP I'm sure your exaggerating to make a point re turning a pigs ear into a silk purse but I'll maintain to my last breath that you can't pass or run w/o an OL. It's an OL more so than a QB that brings the best out of the offense.
    Look at our DL. We now have to do the same for the OL. VIA draft or FA, with a top OL we're a playoff team even with the likes of Geno. MS has already proven that.
    Using Warmack as an example? Really? He actually proves my point. Chance is not a good player. Vlad may be better. Sorry man, but drafting a guard high in the first round is a good way to ruin your career. Winters was a great pick. Smartest thing to do is take tackles whose skills translate to guard in the NFL. The problem is starting them in year one. If they had done this in previous years we would have a great line now. We had no cap space, and no depth thanks to trader Mike. Hard to believe you guys have forgotten this already. We were not supposed to win any games this year. People need to simmer down.

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    Using Warmack as an example? Really? He actually proves my point. Chance is not a good player. Vlad may be better. Sorry man, but drafting a guard high in the first round is a good way to ruin your career. Winters was a great pick. Smartest thing to do is take tackles whose skills translate to guard in the NFL. The problem is starting them in year one. If they had done this in previous years we would have a great line now. We had no cap space, and no depth thanks to trader Mike. Hard to believe you guys have forgotten this already. We were not supposed to win any games this year. People need to simmer down.
    I'm not disagreeing with you here, but I would have liked to have seen an offensive player taken in the first round that can impact the team immediately. BPA is great, but I think our defense can be elite if our offense was able to score more often.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us