Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Head coaching candidates???

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    OMG Rob Ryan I'm laughing so hard right now

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Now that we are all figuring Rex will be gone lets look at some of the candidates and when they could be available:

1. Darren Bevell: Seahawks offensive coordinator. He was the Viking oc when Favre was there. Is from Green Bay. Would be the early favorite with the connection to Idzik. Only problem is we might have to wait until February for him to become available. Like that he is from Green Bay, has developed Wilson. Think he'd be a great hire.

2. Bill O'Brien: PSU head coach: Former Patriots OC. Has really helped a sinking ship in Penn State. Not sure he wants to leave what he started. He has that New England offensive mind which will help. Would be available in January. Not sure if he'd want to play Belicheck twice a year.

3. David Shaw: Stanford HC. Was the oc under Harbaugh before being HC. Has continued the success at Stanford and worked with Luck and now Hogan. Harbaugh made the switch without much of an issue. Question is does he want to leave and does he want to come to NY?

4. Jay Gruden: OC for the Bengals: Would be available after the Bengals playoff run. Like what he has done with Dalton and that offense. Fear he could be like his brother and wear out his welcome quickly.

I know there are more names out there and all. These are my top four. They all are offensive people. We haven't had an offensive coach since Cut Bruce Loos Coslet and Rich 1 and 15 Kotite. I think it is time to focus on an offense that has been neglected for many years. Please add if there are people I forgot.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Bevell or Shaw I would be happy with.
    Would mind if we looked at Lovie Smith.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm sorry, but we have 6 wins with NO ONE ON THE OFFENSIVE SIDE OF THE BALL.

- Winters gives up sacks every week.
    - Colon is good for a penalty a game.
    - Hill has been hot garbage
    - Santonio. Enough Said.
    - Goodson was the best player on offense and he's done (when he wasn't suspended or indicted)
    - Cumberland can't make a big catch in traffic.
    - Geno tries but is a rookie making rookie mistakes.

The defense CANT STAY ON THE FIELD AS LONG AS IT DOES WEEK TO WEEK AND BE EFFECTIVE. IT IS NOT POSSIBLE.

- I'm sorry, but with this roster, I'll take the six wins. THERE IS NO COACH IN THE LEAGUE THAT COULD ACHIEVE 6 WINS WITH THIS OFFENSIVE ROSTER.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Uptowngreengang View Post

- Santonio. Enough Said.
    - Goodson was the best player on offense and he's done (when he wasn't suspended or indicted)

The defense CANT STAY ON THE FIELD AS LONG AS IT DOES WEEK TO WEEK AND BE EFFECTIVE. IT IS NOT POSSIBLE.

- I'm sorry, but with this roster, I'll take the six wins. THERE IS NO COACH IN THE LEAGUE THAT COULD ACHIEVE 6 WINS WITH THIS OFFENSIVE ROSTER.
    You are 100% correct that 6 wins is somewhat of an achievement with this roster.

But how long can you defend a coach who hasnt changed his defensive philosophy in 5 years? During that time:

1. We have never been able to cover the TE - until Allen had a good game vs NE and what did rex do, bench him.

2. We had to blitz in 2009-11 because we had no pass rushers. Now we have 3 excellent pass rushers, yet we still run overload blitzes that teams exploit every game. Is that not a problem for people? Rex has zero adaptability.

3. He admittedly bottled up the offense to "let his defense carry us" and we promptly lost 4 of 5 games down the stretch.

4. He hired a completely inept sparano as OC and had his own DC undermine him, and eventually leave for a division rival.

5. We routinely have presnap penalties and issues with personnel groups - tlike it or not, hat is his fault.

Rex isnt atrocious, i mean look at some of the coaches in this league, but it is time for a change at the top of this organization.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Uptowngreengang View Post

- Santonio. Enough Said.

I agree with what you said. That being said he has had 5 years and no offense what so ever. As a head coach it goes both ways. You have to develop both sides of the ball. We've given him 5 years and the offense has gotten worse. It's time to bring in someone who can coach all aspects and help this offense. Rex isn't that guy. I'm sick and tired of going to games and watching them and knowing that our offense is going to do nothing. It's making the Jets unwatchable.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rex should have been fired 2 yrs ago. This guy is an excellent DC, but as a HC he has no organizational skills.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdanNJ View Post
    john gruden or nick saban
    LOL

For a guy who constantly b*tches about our losing history and how much of a "circus" we are, you sure as hell don't have many bright ideas about how we should turn it around.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rex's Time is up. It's a good year for a coaching search. There are a number of quality guys available, and with the Super Bowl in town, everybody will be coming through.
    Guys I would hope we would consider:
    Shaw, Bevell, Del Rio, Jon Gruden, Dan Quinn, Cowher, Saban, and I am intrigued by Gary Andersen of Wisconsin. Something about that guy.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    A few:

Idzik has worked on the same team as:
    Ken Whisenhunt - Asst GM Rod Graves was GM w/Wisenhunt in AZ
    Jay Gruden- TB
    Beavell-Seattle

No Affiliation w/Idzik:
    Tom Clements-GB OC/QB Coach.
    David Shaw.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdanNJ View Post
    john gruden or nick saban
    This is a joke, right? Outside of coaching up Tony Dungy's Tampa bay team, John Gruden's career is basically a slightly better version of Rex Ryan. Nick Saban was terrible, unlikable NFL coach. John Gruden and Bill Cowher are both incredibly overrated coaches who will not win anywhere in they coach another team in the NFL.

I like the idea of hiring Jay Gruden, though.

Schluberator & Gadfly
    Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to Fantasy Island!

You're just torturing yourselves with threads like this. With 6 wins, Rex will be the HC next year.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    LOL

For a guy who constantly b*tches about our losing history and how much of a "circus" we are, you sure as hell don't have many bright ideas about how we should turn it around.
    Excellent.

They are all the same. It's akin to bathing with raw sewage.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    You are 100% correct that 6 wins is somewhat of an achievement with this roster.

But how long can you defend a coach who hasnt changed his defensive philosophy in 5 years? During that time:

1. We have never been able to cover the TE - until Allen had a good game vs NE and what did rex do, bench him.

2. We had to blitz in 2009-11 because we had no pass rushers. Now we have 3 excellent pass rushers, yet we still run overload blitzes that teams exploit every game. Is that not a problem for people? Rex has zero adaptability.

3. He admittedly bottled up the offense to "let his defense carry us" and we promptly lost 4 of 5 games down the stretch.

4. He hired a completely inept sparano as OC and had his own DC undermine him, and eventually leave for a division rival.

5. We routinely have presnap penalties and issues with personnel groups - tlike it or not, hat is his fault.

Rex isnt atrocious, i mean look at some of the coaches in this league, but it is time for a change at the top of this organization.

Well said. And Rex is not going to get this offense fixed, while another DC could get top 12 production out of this defensive personnel.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dennis byrd 90 View Post
    Now that we are all figuring Rex will be gone lets look at some of the candidates and when they could be available:

1. Darren Bevell: Seahawks offensive coordinator. He was the Viking oc when Favre was there. Is from Green Bay. Would be the early favorite with the connection to Idzik. Only problem is we might have to wait until February for him to become available. Like that he is from Green Bay, has developed Wilson. Think he'd be a great hire.

2. Bill O'Brien: PSU head coach: Former Patriots OC. Has really helped a sinking ship in Penn State. Not sure he wants to leave what he started. He has that New England offensive mind which will help. Would be available in January. Not sure if he'd want to play Belicheck twice a year.

3. David Shaw: Stanford HC. Was the oc under Harbaugh before being HC. Has continued the success at Stanford and worked with Luck and now Hogan. Harbaugh made the switch without much of an issue. Question is does he want to leave and does he want to come to NY?

4. Jay Gruden: OC for the Bengals: Would be available after the Bengals playoff run. Like what he has done with Dalton and that offense. Fear he could be like his brother and wear out his welcome quickly.

I know there are more names out there and all. These are my top four. They all are offensive people. We haven't had an offensive coach since Cut Bruce Loos Coslet and Rich 1 and 15 Kotite. I think it is time to focus on an offense that has been neglected for many years. Please add if there are people I forgot.
    Just to let you know, you don't need to wait until a team is out of the playoffs to hire somebody from their staff. You just have to ask the franchise for permission to interview them.

Remember, when we interviewed Rex Ryan 5 years ago for the coaching job, the Ravens were still in the playoffs. And Rex had accepted it before the AFCCG was played.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    A few:

Idzik has worked on the same team as:
    Ken Whisenhunt - Asst GM Rod Graves was GM w/Wisenhunt in AZ
    Jay Gruden- TB
    Beavell-Seattle

No Affiliation w/Idzik:
    Tom Clements-GB OC/QB Coach.
    David Shaw.
    I would Ken Whisenhunt in that case. He took the Arizona Cardinals, THE ARIZONA CARDINALS!, to the Super Bowl.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    I would Ken Whisenhunt in that case. He took the Arizona Cardinals, THE ARIZONA CARDINALS!, to the Super Bowl.
    With Kurt Warner as his QB yes but since Rex ruined Sanchez isn't it fair to say Whisenhunt ruined Matt Leinart and Jeff Fisher ruined Vince Young?? Want a ruined 2nd rd pick?? How about Mangini ruined Clemens who was the QB for the Rams that beat the Saints and Bree's yesterday??

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Call up Herm ****ing Edwards by God.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by thebigragu View Post
    Call up Herm ****ing Edwards by God.
    WE MUST START PLAYING TO WIN THE GAME!!

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chesapeakejet View Post
    Welcome to Fantasy Island!

You're just torturing yourselves with threads like this. With 6 wins, Rex will be the HC next year.
    +1

Rex is coaching a team that has enough talent to win 4 or 5 games this year. He's also pulling along a rookie QB and saw one of the best defenders in the NFL get traded off his team. With multi-game injuries to Holmes, Hill, Kerley, Ivory and a multi-game suspension to Winslow at different points throughout the season, where were the Jets going to get any offensive points? People will look back at the wins over the Pats and Saints as modern day miracles by this team.