Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Head coaching candidates???

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jets need to find their version of a Tom Coughlin. Last time we hired a head coach with previous experience was Bill Parcells -- am I right?

There's no trend or formula for first-time head coaches vs. experienced guys. Look at the last decade and the Super Bowl wins are about split.

But this Jets team does not need a guy who is going to have to learn on the job. We have enough players who are doing that or will be after this draft.

Whether it's Ken Whisenhunt, Jack Del Rio or Lovie Smith, this team needs a leader who has been through it all before and wants redemption.

Coughlin was always a good coach with Jacksonville but never took them to the next level, as he has with the Giants.

Whisenhunt and Smith both lost Super Bowls & Del Rio has been to the playoffs.

Obviously they all had shortcomings that led to their firings but they will want to prove themselves and can all coach.

I don't think this would be a situation like with Herm or Mangini where we all (or at least most of us) knew that those poor teams were doomed after hiring them.

Whisenhunt or Lovie are my top choices. They don't have the allure of some of those first-time coaches but I'd take what Andy Reid has done with KC or the job Fisher is doing in improving St. Louis over a shot-in-the-dark for this franchise, at this moment.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    +1

Rex is coaching a team that has enough talent to win 4 or 5 games this year. He's also pulling along a rookie QB and saw one of the best defenders in the NFL get traded off his team. With multi-game injuries to Holmes, Hill, Kerley, Ivory and a multi-game suspension to Winslow at different points throughout the season, where were the Jets going to get any offensive points? People will look back at the wins over the Pats and Saints as modern day miracles by this team.
    Rex is so powerful and influential that his favorite player/position got traded away. Classic.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    I wanted Del Rio for my SC team not so sure to feel about him for the Jets.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevilJet29 View Post
    Jets need to find their version of a Tom Coughlin. Last time we hired a head coach with previous experience was Bill Parcells -- am I right?

There's no trend or formula for first-time head coaches vs. experienced guys. Look at the last decade and the Super Bowl wins are about split.

But this Jets team does not need a guy who is going to have to learn on the job. We have enough players who are doing that or will be after this draft.

Whether it's Ken Whisenhunt, Jack Del Rio or Lovie Smith, this team needs a leader who has been through it all before and wants redemption.

Coughlin was always a good coach with Jacksonville but never took them to the next level, as he has with the Giants.

Whisenhunt and Smith both lost Super Bowls & Del Rio has been to the playoffs.

Obviously they all had shortcomings that led to their firings but they will want to prove themselves and can all coach.

I don't think this would be a situation like with Herm or Mangini where we all (or at least most of us) knew that those poor teams were doomed after hiring them.

Whisenhunt or Lovie are my top choices. They don't have the allure of some of those first-time coaches but I'd take what Andy Reid has done with KC or the job Fisher is doing in improving St. Louis over a shot-in-the-dark for this franchise, at this moment.
    Ha TC was never a good coach.. He can't even get this giants team to play hard at all.. How many games did they get shutout?? That game Sunday was laughable.. TC himself thanks those who gave an effort to play hard, said the other half didn't??? Wtf is going on over there.. Got a HOf qb and suck balls

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleansweep2013 View Post
    Ha TC was never a good coach.. He can't even get this giants team to play hard at all.. How many games did they get shutout?? That game Sunday was laughable.. TC himself thanks those who gave an effort to play hard, said the other half didn't??? Wtf is going on over there.. Got a HOf qb and suck balls
    This is sooo stupid I don't know why I will reply. Two superbowl rings. I would trade every sh**ty season we ever had for one.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitman Harris View Post
    Same here

If we only had a QB like that... I think the Defense, which you DO NEED, would be playing a LOT better.
    you expect the QB to play CB too. LOL Sorry to disagree but we need some help on defense to upgrade its speed and cover ability. A great QB will greatly enhance our chances of winning but with a leaky defense we will still lose. Our DL is great and then what? Pace is old. Harris is OK Davis a work in progress and the secondary- OH VEY!

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    The funniest part of this is that most of those candidates have to want to be the head coach here. How many of them will actually interview, let alone want to come to New York. It's like Madden Football around here sometimes.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    If Rex does wind up getting broomed...I just hope MM wasn't hired to ultimately take over. God I hope I'm wrong!

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    The funniest part of this is that most of those candidates have to want to be the head coach here. How many of them will actually interview, let alone want to come to New York. It's like Madden Football around here sometimes.
    Exactly, Rex will have a new job within 48hrs as a DC and we will be laughed at by every decent coach in the league. Who would want this job? The fans are awful, the press is awful, the stadium situation is still a joke, the ownership is not great. Heck, even the uniforms s*ck (Yes they do). So, the JETS will, as usual, make the worse possible move. Nobody is going to win with this offense and the horrible talent we have at WR, TE, OL, QB. GM inherited a mess of a salary cap and we all want miracles.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    Unfortunately this is the best case for keeping Rex. SOJ.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by usapaw View Post
    Exactly, Rex will have a new job within 48hrs as a DC and we will be laughed at by every decent coach in the league. Who would want this job? The fans are awful, the press is awful, the stadium situation is still a joke, the ownership is not great. Heck, even the uniforms s*ck (Yes they do). So, the JETS will, as usual, make the worse possible move. Nobody is going to win with this offense and the horrible talent we have at WR, TE, OL, QB. GM inherited a mess of a salary cap and we all want miracles.
    Laughed at? We were made to believe Pettine was a problem & the guy schooled the Jets offense & the Bill offense went through Rex D like a knife through hot butter.
    Rex D doesn't scare anyone anymore.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by usapaw View Post
    This is sooo stupid I don't know why I will reply. Two superbowl rings. I would trade every sh**ty season we ever had for one.
    Lol what are u a closet giants can troll? Giants never had a dominate season under TC.. He was just lucky to ride the back of a incredibly clutch/luck in playoffs qb in Eli.. If we had Eli in 09 and 10 we are probably back to back Super Bowl champs.. Does that makes Rex a better coach if he had a super clutch qb like Eli? If TC were coaching this yrs jets we don't win more than 3 games..

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Im not against some of these names, but when you start to look at some of the records of these coaches:

- Whisenhunt (8-8, 9-7, 10-6, 5-11, 8-8, 5-11) His two best years were with a HOF QB and TOP Offensive talent and a pretty bad division at the time. Still he did get them to one SB.

- Lovie Smith from 2004-2012 he made the playoffs 3 times, and won 3 playoff games. He is also basically the cover 2 version of Rex. Play D, run the ball, minimize passing turnovers. He made it to the SB with rex grossman under that model and thinks it can work.

- Jack Del Rio. I really don't know why he is even being mentioned. (2003-2011 he won 1 playoff game, and made it twice). Boring bend but don't break D. Another one who is all about run first, play good D, and minimize QB creativity. He also had Garrard in his prime and MJD in his prime, two real good weapons.

Now I'm not saying that none of these coaches will good again somewhere else. No one knows that for sure. I'm also not saying that Rex shouldn't be replaced, I can go either way with that. But who are you replacing him with? It's not like they have an amazing track record and history of building and sustaining top contending teams. There's just not that much out there to be honest.

Also, I like Jeff Fischer and those mentioning how much they love him, while a better coach than Rex Ryan has the same philosophy. He was trained by his father Buddy lol. People mentioned him like oh my God we need a fresh minded coach like him. He does the same thing, Defense, Run first, don't throw picks. In case you are wondering why I am even mentioning him, it's because his best years were when he had a top QB in McNair, or that one great year Kerry Collins pulled off the Tenn went to AFC championship game (lost to Rex's D actually).

No matter who the next coach is, if its still Rex, Lombardi, or Bill Walsh, we need talent and AT LEAST a mid range QB. We've had top 3 worst QB play EVERY year since Rex got here. Yes some of that is on him, but I don't think Sanchez or Geno would have done much better with the same talent and a different coach honestly.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleansweep2013 View Post
    This is just too damn funny. The guy is a borderline hall of fame coach. Two rings count for something.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by knightfall72 View Post
    If Rex does wind up getting broomed...I just hope MM wasn't hired to ultimately take over. God I hope I'm wrong!
    I do think Mornhinweg would be the odds-on favorite.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RIJetFan View Post
    This is just too damn funny. The guy is a borderline hall of fame coach. Two rings count for something.
    the job he did in Jacksonville is more impressive than what he's done with NYG, in my opinion. the NYG tenure basically boils down to being slightly better than average (save 2008) and a few well-timed good weeks.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    We should of fired Rex last season and made a move for Chip Kelly.

Our timing sucks. Now we're gonna get Wade Phillips or something

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Is Joe Walton still alive?

I'd take him, and his high-flying passing offense, before I'd want most of these failed recycled Coaches (Wisenhunt/Smith/DelRio/Etc).

Hell, given our blocking woes and Geno's Arm, we could do the 1980's all over again....if we could ever find any WR's.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitman Harris View Post
    WE MUST START PLAYING TO WIN THE GAME!!

2:18 lol I ASK YOU A QUESTION!
    Last edited by thebigragu; 12-17-2013 at 09:41 PM.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    O Leary from UCF,does more with less.The guy teaches discipline and hard work.Former GT coach,has a home in Long Island.The guy has been a leader of men all his life.Go ahead look up his record and stay tuned New Years day when the UCF Knights take on sixth ranked Baylor.