Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Since 1998, Jets Have Been A Top 10 Offense Only Once.....

Since 1998, Jets Have Been A Top 10 Offense Only Once.....

That was in 2008, per pro-football-reference.com & they were # 9. http://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2008/

In the last 15 years the best they could do was #9 ?!? Constantly going with a Defensive coach. I like Rex but will the Jets ever have a top 10 offense with Rex? Maybe but doubtful....
    Is Geno the answer, who knows? At least surround him with as many offensive weapons as you can and if he still sucks, then go all in for a QB the following year.

Sign Golden Tate, Sammy Watkins/Marquis Lee with the 1st Rd Pick, & a TE in the 2nd round would be ideal.

Offensive woes have gone on for way to long......Time for an Offensive minded HC to change that

Defense Wins Championsh.....oh.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Jets N Mets View Post
    That was in 2008, per pro-football-reference.com & they were # 9. http://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2008/

In the last 15 years the best they could do was #9 ?!? Constantly going with a Defensive coach. I like Rex but will the Jets ever have a top 10 offense with Rex? Maybe but doubtful....
    Is Geno the answer, who knows? At least surround him with as many offensive weapons as you can and if he still sucks, then go all in for a QB the following year.

Sign Golden Tate, Sammy Watkins/Marquis Lee with the 1st Rd Pick, & a TE in the 2nd round would be ideal.

Offensive woes have gone on for way to long......Time for an Offensive minded HC to change that
    Farve was the QB that season......

Now look at who our QB's have been prior to 2008 and after......look at the players we've had starting on offense those seasons....

Idzik needs to have his head on a platter if he does nothing to upgrade the offense offseason.....40+mil in cap space and ~12 picks in the draft.....NO MORE EXCUSES!!!!!!!!!!!!

We need to go BOPA (Best O player available) for 3 out of the first 4 picks....

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by carlito1171 View Post
    Farve was the QB that season......

Now look at who our QB's have been prior to 2008 and after......look at the players we've had starting on offense those seasons....

Idzik needs to have his head on a platter if he does nothing to upgrade the offense offseason.....40+mil in cap space and ~12 picks in the draft.....NO MORE EXCUSES!!!!!!!!!!!!

We need to go BOPA (Best O player available) for 3 out of the first 4 picks....
    And people think Woody did something wrong going after Favre.

The Jets were that high, only because of Favre's early season efforts.

Jeez, we've had a difficult decade. It's amazing they've been as successful as they've been.

Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    defense can get you to a conference championship game...

Veteran
    Curious... what were we in 98?

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

"Run Defense wins championships"

#5 http://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/1998/

Vinny, Keyshawn, Chrebet, Curtis Martin....

Ha it's hard to have a top 10 D when your best qb in that span was vinny testiverde bad luck with bad qbs.. Rex bashers will blame Rex for offensive problems 5 yrs before he even got here ha.. It's simple, Izdik hopefully fixes the O with all cap $ we have coming off books, and draft.. He can't just go with " best player available" on board this yr.. He has to lean O.. Give Marty a nice contract, Izdik can tell him and tell Rex " Marty runs the offense no question" he will help get this O on track.. Good O run by Marty and top D run by Rex.. Team would be right there next yr..

Quote Originally Posted by Cleansweep2013 View Post
    Ha it's hard to have a top 10 D when your best qb in that span was vinny testiverde bad luck with bad qbs.. Rex bashers will blame Rex for offensive problems 5 yrs before he even got here ha.. It's simple, Izdik hopefully fixes the O with all cap $ we have coming off books, and draft.. He can't just go with " best player available" on board this yr.. He has to lean O.. Give Marty a nice contract, Izdik can tell him and tell Rex " Marty runs the offense no question" he will help get this O on track.. Good O run by Marty and top D run by Rex.. Team would be right there next yr..
    I have no problem brining Rex back but you can't give him an extension after what could be back to back 6-10 seasons. Play as a lame duck and prove yourself.

Undrafted Free Agent
    I don't know if you can bring Rex back without an extension. Will MM and Lee sign up for multiple years if they don't know who the HC would be? Would you want MM and Lee signed up for multiple years and then a new HC won't be able to get rid of them? I think you are either in with Rex or out; Give him a 1 or 2 year extension, or part ways. I am not sure how well a lame duck HC works out anyway. If you are going to move on, why not just move on and be done with it, or put the other way, if you are not sure about giving him 2 or 3 years, why give him 1 year. You are rebuilding now, do you want to do it again the following year with a new HC?

Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    This is a thing of the past.

QB's win championships. That's it..

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by TJ View Post
    "Run Defense wins championships"
    Especially in a passing league.

Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    This is a thing of the past.

QB's win championships. That's it..
    Rex only thinks back to way back when, when Trent Dilfer won him a championship.

All Pro
    LEt it go, LET IT GO: The cold never bothered me anyway
    #5 http://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/1998/

Vinny, Keyshawn, Chrebet, Curtis Martin....
    Good times. I was a big Penningtologist, but in the end, he couldnt hold a candle to the firepower of Testeverde. IMO, the last true great QB of the franchise.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    And people think Woody did something wrong going after Favre.
    Even funnier is people think WOODY went after Favre.

I have no problem brining Rex back but you can't give him an extension after what could be back to back 6-10 seasons. Play as a lame duck and prove yourself.
    I have no problem with that, know even as a lame duck the players would still respect and play hard for Rex.. Probably even harder knowing they are playing to save his job.. But the poster below u " bostonmajet" brought up an excellent point. Will Marty and lee stay here knowing Rex is in limbo or will they go elsewhere where a coach is more set? Marty is the key, if he stays here I think Rex is perfect for jets..

Practice Squad
    No offense = no 1st round byes....

Need to score points to win in the RS to position yourself. In the PS, you do need to play "some" defense...

Quote Originally Posted by Jmat321 View Post
    No offense = no 1st round byes....

Need to score points to win in the RS to position yourself. In the PS, you do need to play "some" defense...
    This is right...

Teams that have big time QB win a lot of games in the regular season.

Sometimes they'll get knocked off by a good defensive team in the playoffs - they let defenses "play" more in the playoffs.

But you need that solid offense and QB get home field, but more importably get in the playoffs every year. If you're there every year - you'll eventually get hot at the right time.