Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: We once again have a slow defense

Quote Originally Posted by jetster View Post
    Did you see Rob Ryans call last night on 3rd & long?
    Looked just like Rex, overload blitz, one on one coverage, Wilson throws to the single covered WR over the top, huge gain, 1st & 10.
    Love the zone defense that Seattle plays, (I know they have studs everywhere) but it's very clever & guess what? Rex Ryan didn't come up with it, unbelievable huh?
    Milliner would be able to play for the Hawks, they move forward on everything & they're fast LBs cover the RBs & TEs on the quick out routes.
    Look - Rex and Rob Ryan are good coaches, there is no question, but their biggest downfall is their inability to adapt and general "bang your head against a rock" stubbornness.

The fact of the matter is, the 3-4/46 defense that they learned and love is no longer as effective as it was with the advent of the spread offense. The 46 Defense was designed to shut down the run and put teams in 3rd and long situations where you could blitz. The main reason you could blitz effectively is that teams ran out 3 wrs and a TE, so you only had 4 guys to cover, one of which was a lumbering TE and the other was a teams 3rd WR.

Now with bubble screens, 4 WR sets, TEs that can run and catch, QBs who can get the ball out quickly and most importantly coaches who KNOW YOUR SCHEME BECAUSE YOU HAVENT CHANGED IN 10 YEARS, you negate the blitz by simply hitting short passes and letting the receivers run after the catch.

We currently have a defensive line that can stand alone vs the run. We have a safety in Allen who can play the TE in man coverage and also play in the box. We have CBs in walls, lankster, and millner (yes millner) who are quick enough to play underneath routes (with help in millners case). Do we run 4-1-6 formations? Do we ever rush richardson, coples and wilkerson and drop 8 to confuse QBs and clog lanes? Do we look at Cro and say " GOOD GOD - HE CANT COVER ANYONE ANYMORE MAYBE HE NEEDS TO GET HEALTHY"

The best coaches dont care about their system, they run what fits their players and what will stop the other team the best. Rex does neither of those things - he would probably start otis wilson at OLB over coples because "man, my dasd used to say that guy can really play, and if there's one thing us Ryans know its football!"

Undrafted Free Agent
    Quote Originally Posted by nyjfollower View Post
    Does anyone rise find themselves being really annoyed with the way demario davis has to celebrate every average play he makes like he just did something great?
    Ala, Junior Seau

Quote Originally Posted by TebowCan'tThrow View Post
    Please tell me you aren't talking about Holmes?? If so, he is not a star. Never was. He made one great catch in the biggest game of the year. He WAS a decent WR three years ago and will never be a big time WR again. The other part was right that he dodged TC and plays when he wants to. Won't have to worry about that much longer. He will be gone in 3 months.
    You're a moron , tebow is a great passer AND Holmes is indeed a superstar receiver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by The Crusader View Post
    You're a moron , tebow is a great passer AND Holmes is indeed a superstar receiver.

HAHA!! No comment.

Jets pass rush has been better this year than last year. They already have more sacks than they did all of last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    Jets pass rush has been better this year than last year. They already have more sacks than they did all of last year.
    Front 7 has been great this year and Rex deserves credit. Secondary was average to below average all year - once Kerley got injured and our offense fell apart the we lost time of possession battle and the defense was out there way too long and left Milliner, Wilson, Landry, Allen Reed etc overexposed.

The linebackers are old and slow.

It's the offense's fault. You can't give the defense short rest. They will break. Geno's throw into triple coverage with a minute to go in the half was atrocious.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    The linebackers are old and slow.

Aside from Pace .. Who's old ?

DeMario Davis was drafted last year, man.

All Pro
    If Rex wouldn't have been so stubborn and drafted a true stud at OLB , I think this defense would of been on another level. Just one speed rusher from the outside and I don't think our secondary would of been so exposed. Just one guy forcing QB to step up into Wilk and now Richardson what we need. Coples isn't the answer.

All League
    Reed needs depends

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by IRONFAN 40 View Post
    If Rex wouldn't have been so stubborn and drafted a true stud at OLB , I think this defense would of been on another level. Just one speed rusher from the outside and I don't think our secondary would of been so exposed. Just one guy forcing QB to step up into Wilk and now Richardson what we need. Coples isn't the answer.
    Barnes was supposed to be that guy... his loss was huge...