Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: "A Defensive Genius" Ryan vrs Carol

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    Carroll is building that team into elite status. Developing players. We keep getting worse every year. Rex did much better when he took over a roster full of players that Mangini had chosen.

Just look at Seattle's record the past few years vs. the Jets record, we're moving in opposite directions.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by greenwichjetfan View Post
    http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/th...n-Rivera/page2

Post #34, and then a day later, post #36. You'll get the answer to your riddle there.
    Ok. So I guess we should just wave the white flag until Brady retires then. No use in judging a HC till then.

You cmon.

Perhaps we should ask 32 NFL GMs and Owners who they would rather have. I would bind myself to their judgement. Deal?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Ok. So I guess we should just wave the white flag until Brady retires then. No use in judging a HC till then.

You cmon.

Perhaps we should ask 32 NFL GMs and Owners who they would rather have. I would bind myself to their judgement. Deal?
    In terms of the division. Hell yes. Although I agree with the rest.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post

You cmon.

Are you saying that Rex winning 11 games but not getting the division because of Brady and Belichick, is an inferior feat to Fox winning 7 games and claiming the division amongst a group of three other teams who couldn't even win 8 games? And are you also dismissing what Rex did in that 11 win season by going up to Foxboro and beating the team that swept an 11 win team including a 45-3 beatdown on national television?

Dismissing it with some hyperbolic statement just because you're caught up is a bit immature; even on an internet forum, just as not responding to that thread in the first place was.

^That's why I got on his case Savage.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    Carroll is building that team into elite status. Developing players. We keep getting worse every year. Rex did much better when he took over a roster full of players that Mangini had chosen.

Just look at Seattle's record the past few years vs. the Jets record, we're moving in opposite directions.
    Too bad Mangini didn't do as well with the players he had.. Hell Rex would have loved even a Chaddy cakes if only Farve came back to the Jets..

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by greenwichjetfan View Post
    Are you saying that Rex winning 11 games but not getting the division because of Brady and Belichick, is an inferior feat to Fox winning 7 games and claiming the division amongst a group of three other teams who couldn't even win 8 games? And are you also dismissing what Rex did in that 11 win season by going up to Foxboro and beating the team that swept an 11 win team including a 45-3 beatdown on national television?

Dismissing it with some hyperbolic statement just because you're caught up is a bit immature; even on an internet forum, just as not responding to that thread in the first place was.

^That's why I got on his case Savage.
    No. Rex's 2010 season was better than Carroll's. And that win in Foxboro was our biggest since SBIII. But lets take into account what both HCs have done since. Look at what Carroll has done this season. 11-1 in a very good division. Beating the defending NFC champion handily.

As for Fox, anytime you reach the SB it will beat anything Rex has ever accomplished here. Not to mention that he almost beat that dynasty Patriot team with their immortal, HC judgement-skewing QB in the SB that year.
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    Too bad Mangini didn't do as well with the players he had.. Hell Rex would have loved even a Chaddy cakes if only Farve came back to the Jets..
    Can't underestimate the importance of Rex's personality to that team. Rex breathed life and enthusiasm back into Florham Park after Mangini. And if Favre was on that team I think we could have won the SB. But I also think we would be in the same position we are now but I wouldn't care as much b.c of the SB.
    Last edited by DDNYjets; 12-04-2013 at 04:51 PM.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Batmans A Scientist View Post
    Carroll was not a good coach with the Jets in 1994, the Jets were terrible after that Dolphins game. Carroll wasn't a good coach in his time with the Patriots. Rex was far more successful with the Jets than Carroll was in either of his first 2 jobs.
    Carroll's HC career;

1994 NYJ 6-10
    1997-98 NE 27-21 regular season, 1-2 playoffs
    2010-now Seattle 36-24 regular season, 2-2 playoffs
    Total 69-55 (3-4)

Ryan
    2009-now 39-37 (4-2)

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Pats1960 View Post
    Carroll's HC career;

1994 NYJ 6-10
    Total 69-55 (3-4)

Ryan
    2009-now 39-37 (4-2)
    And when Carroll was with the Pats he had Bledsoe a Pro bowl QB.. And Ben "Winter" Coates A All Pro TE.. A top 10 offense 2 of his 3 years.. W/R Terry Glenn,Troy Brown etc

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
    No doubt Rex can call D, he dials up some great schemes and is a great coach and knows how to develop defensive players (wish he could do the same with a QB)

My issue with a Rex defense is it is completely reliant on elite corners, he had it in Baltimore and he had it with Revis when he walked in here, as soon as the corners become vulnerable and ordinary as they have this year his whole defensive philosophy falls flat on its face.

What coach would not love to have to two great corners to allow them to be aggressive and more diverse on Defense? Rex gets to much credit with this "guru" label.

Great coach but no guru, we would have an elite D with Sherman and Browner but unfortunately for Rex he is not that spoilt this year.

It's just a theory and I could be wrong so flame away.
    Really - what's the long list of Jets defensive players he has developed - I'll help Devito, Snacks, and maybe Pouha - who else ???

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
    Watching MNF last night made me realize how freely these words get thrown around.

I was about to type out a TL;DR post but after getting three paragraphs into it, I deleted it all, because I can basically sum it up with this:

If Rex Ryan is a "defensive genius" than what the hell is Pete Carol?

What he's done with Seattle's D, with a lot of very late picks, is crazy. The Seahawks ARE everything Rex always says he WANTS or that the Jets are GOING to be... someday.
    They attack the ball, they're fast, they're physical, they're mean, they have attitude.

Remember when they kicked the crap out of the Bronco starters in preseason? Peyton and Denver showed up like it was going to be a nice friendly exhibition game and Seattle came out in 5th gear and manhandled them like it had post season ramifications. These guys are NASTY. They totally shut down the Saints last night. They humiliated them. Drew Brees looked desperate and impotent on every single down that I saw. They were completely finished a few possessions into the 3rd quarter. There wasn't even a fourth quarter of that game. It was like the Saints literally just surrendered, started killing the clock, letting Seattle kill the clock, OVER. They just wanted it to be over.

The defense just made them quit, ended the game at the end of the 3rd quarter.

What Pete Carol has created over in Seattle just makes me think the "defensive genius" tag Rex has suckered us into repeating is bullcrap.
    I'm starting to think Rex just knows the 46 defense and drafts people he thinks could pull it off. Not sure if that qualifies for "genius" titles.

He's had some good defensive games, primarily against the Patriots in 2010, but he also got handed a pretty bad beating a few weeks earlier in the 45-3 game.
    I dont know if defensive geniuses get buried and blown out as often as we have since he's been here. Patriots have done it to us A LOT OF TIMES, and other, much crappier football teams have blown us out a few times a season, EVERY season I can think of. What sort of defensive genius gets blown out multiple times annually?

I would kill for Seattle's D. That team looked scary. I love the way they play football
    very well said !!!

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Pats1960 View Post
    Carroll's HC career;

1994 NYJ 6-10
    Total 69-55 (3-4)

Ryan
    2009-now 39-37 (4-2)
    Carroll - His team has improved; they play hard; evidently he and management work together to improve the quality; and he does not stand on the side line looking like he has him thumb stuck up his ass; does not go in press conferences and embarrass the organization.
    I look at him and see a very enthusiastic coach (as Rex can be called), but acts like a professional. Just an opinion.
    Last edited by PocketJet; 12-04-2013 at 08:14 PM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdanNJ View Post
    Rex is still the best DC in the NFL. since he has been here, we have always been great. look at us against the run, no one can run on out D, by far the best in the NFL

My god he is not even close and with 3 first rounders a second rounder and a gift from heaven UDFA our line SHOULD be dominant.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally Posted by bigdanNJ Rex is still the best DC in the NFL. since he has been here, we have always been great. look at us against the run, no one can run on out D, by far the best in the NFL

I get it you are kidding....you had me for a second

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnysd View Post
    My god he is not even close and with 3 first rounders a second rounder and a gift from heaven UDFA our line SHOULD be dominant.
    Rex sucks almost every year, gets decent draft numbers almost every year, plays in a division where there's only one good team to worry about, and he still sucks, still gets high draft picks because he sucks, and still just sucks, sucks, sucks. Pete Caroll is playing in a much tougher division, drafts higher, does better, and fields a product that is about a million times better than ours.

Agree with your post completely. He's about as good a DC as his brother.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Seattle has a stacked roster
    Great drafting all around

Aside from that, they use a little thing called PEDs!!!