Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: BB makes rare comment about the Jets this morning

BB makes rare comment about the Jets this morning

http://bostonherald.com/sports/patri...s_this_morning

"Out of absolutely nowhere, Bill Belichick took a hilarious shot at the Jets this morning at his initial news conference of Week 14.

Belichick, who coached the Browns from 1991-95, was asked if he still had any affinity for the organization due to his time spent there. After all, it was his first head coaching gig, though it came to a close when the organization moved to Baltimore.

"I was there for five years," Belichick said. "It was five important years in my life, for myself, my family and all that. Obviously, we've all moved on, and I have a job to do here and that's where my loyalty is, is to Robert (Kraft), the Patriots organization and this football team. So it's no different than how I feel, honestly, about the Colts, or the Lions or the Broncos. I feel differently about the Jets. We won't put them in that category.

"Good experiences with all of those teams, and we learned from them, grew as a coach, and as a person and as a family. But we're at a different time and a different place. This is where we are now, so I'll try to make the most out of this one."

Belichick famously quit the Jets in 2000 to take a job with the Patriots, and the two organizations have shared a cold-blooded rivalry for more than two decades. Belichick's dig at the Jets this morning was the latest example. It was clearly a joke, but it was a funny shot nonetheless."

Jets Insider VIP
    That's "hilarious"?

Quote Originally Posted by JetPotato View Post
    That's "hilarious"?
    My thought exactly. I guess when you're a Sith like Belichick, humor is graded on a curve.

I have a question. When Bellichek split for NE, did he have to pay back the $1mil bonus he received to be the HC in waiting for the Jets?

Jets Insider VIP
    He was HC for a day or so. There was bad blood for the Jets jerking him around by naming him head coach three seasons earlier and then demoting him, may have had something to do with that bitterness.

Belichick is another painful reminder of Jet front office bungling.

That is actually a historic bungling IMO. He's the best head coach of his generation

Practice Squad
    Quote Originally Posted by RMJK View Post
    He was HC for a day or so. There was bad blood for the Jets jerking him around by naming him head coach three seasons earlier and then demoting him, may have had something to do with that bitterness.
    Yeah right. But he sure didn't mind taking that 1 mill while he was "jerked around".
    Spare me.

All Pro
    You don't think he was, ya know, in on that from the beginning? It was just a transparent ploy to get Parcells into the job? You think he thought he was gonna be the HC and then had the rug yanked from under him when they brought in Parcells?

Practice Squad
    Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post

That is actually a historic bungling IMO. He's the best head coach of his generation
    Yes, they should have tied him down and held him hostage. He did not want to be here.

Hall Of Fame
    I think he was our HC twice.

Not sure anyone bungled it. BB met the incoming owner and ran for the hills, just like Parcells did, just like any smart coach or executive would. If anyone bungled it, I guess it might be Parcells because he could have done a better job communicating with BB during the transition and convincing him to stay, but my sense is that Parcells knew the Jets were headed to a bad place with the new owner and wasn't going to discourage BB from moving on.

All Pro
    He's still salty about how they passed on to become the HC for Parcells after he was given the job already.......

That's why he resigned on a napkin....

That's why he looks to **** us over any chance he gets...

That why he gets all butthurt when he loses to us....

He's made it his life mission to hate the Jets with every fiber of his being.....well guess what BB...the feeling is mutual prick!

I've read this 3 times and can't figure out how he's "taking a shot" at the Jets?

Quote Originally Posted by Toooon View Post
    Not sure anyone bungled it. BB met the incoming owner and ran for the hills, just like Parcells did, just like any smart coach or executive would. If anyone bungled it, I guess it might be Parcells because he could have done a better job communicating with BB during the transition and convincing him to stay, but my sense is that Parcells knew the Jets were headed to a bad place with the new owner and wasn't going to discourage BB from moving on.
    +1

This is pretty much what happened.

BB agreed to be a placeholder for Parcells so I don't think he was bitter because of that.

I just think he realized how awful the new ownership was going to be. It turns out, he was right about the new owners

Jets Insider VIP
    I don't feel bad about missing out on Belly, but I do feel bad about missing out on Brady.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by ironman61 View Post
    http://bostonherald.com/sports/patri...s_this_morning

"Out of absolutely nowhere, Bill Belichick took a hilarious shot at the Jets this morning at his initial news conference of Week 14.

Belichick, who coached the Browns from 1991-95, was asked if he still had any affinity for the organization due to his time spent there. After all, it was his first head coaching gig, though it came to a close when the organization moved to Baltimore.

"I was there for five years," Belichick said. "It was five important years in my life, for myself, my family and all that. Obviously, we've all moved on, and I have a job to do here and that's where my loyalty is, is to Robert (Kraft), the Patriots organization and this football team. So it's no different than how I feel, honestly, about the Colts, or the Lions or the Broncos. I feel differently about the Jets. We won't put them in that category.

"Good experiences with all of those teams, and we learned from them, grew as a coach, and as a person and as a family. But we're at a different time and a different place. This is where we are now, so I'll try to make the most out of this one."

Belichick famously quit the Jets in 2000 to take a job with the Patriots, and the two organizations have shared a cold-blooded rivalry for more than two decades. Belichick's dig at the Jets this morning was the latest example. It was clearly a joke, but it was a funny shot nonetheless."
    Hey, I'm glad he said that. It means that we're still relevant. I hope the Pats hate us. Its when they don't even care enough to hate us is when we really need to worry.

I hope our players and coaching staff hate the Patriots too.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    Hey, I'm glad he said that. It means that we're still relevant. I hope the Pats hate us. Its when they don't even care enough to hate us is when we really need to worry.

I hope our players and coaching staff hate the Patriots too.
    If I interpret what he said correctly, it's not a hate in a football sense but more a personal hate for the folks that worked him over like Guttman and friends.

http://nypost.com/2013/10/16/what-co...yed-with-jets/

Quote Originally Posted by nyjfollower View Post
    I've read this 3 times and can't figure out how he's "taking a shot" at the Jets?
    Belichick can actually be funny but it's almost always with his players, not generally with the media. This wasn't very funny, imo, but maybe you had to be there.

The 'shot' part is him saying he wouldn't put the Jets in the same category as the other teams for which he's worked the implication being that he is thankful for his time with the Colts, Lions and Browns but not the Jets.

Eh, you can't really blame the Jets for that. Everyone thought of him as Bill Parcells jr. back in those days and honestly, I was livid when I found out Kraft had traded away our #1 pick for a guy who had barely been successful in Cleveland. But I have a really great football mind, obvs.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Peebag View Post
    I don't feel bad about missing out on Belly, but I do feel bad about missing out on Brady.
    Jet could have picked Brady in 2000 we picked before the Pats who didn't even use their first 6 rd pick on him but their 2nd 6th rd pick.. If you want to feel bad how about Manning not coming out in 1997 because the Tuna wouldn't use his first pick of the draft on him..

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by JetPotato View Post
    That's "hilarious"?
    Finally, someone to replace Richard Prior!