Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: This one stung allot less for me: An optimist thread.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Jets did exceed many of our expectations this year and they did so basically with a defense that was keeping them in some of the games earlier in the season. If we add some help and/or just get a little healthier on the back end the defense will be fine.

Offense and special teams however are a hot steaming mess. It took four first round picks to turn around the defense so I am skeptical that the offense is a one year job. I do not believe we have a competent QB on the roster although to be fair I am taking other people's word for Simms as i have not seen enough on the negative side myself to declare him a "never was". We need help catching the ball everywhere and there is significant housecleaning to do with the current offensive roster. I fear we are in worse shape on the OL than many here care to admit.

The good news is that the defense will move towards being dominant next year and almost anything from the offenase will be enough to have us be competetive. If there is an affordable veteran QB who can be brought in to bridge the gap then fine but we need to dip into the draft at QB again and we need OL and WR help desperately IMO.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would sign Josh Mcown in Free Agency to come in and push Geno for the Starting job. I would also take a QB in RD 3 if the love one. RD 1 and 2 NEED to be playmaking offensive weapons.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations Rex Ryan! After 3 years of slowly killing playoff hopes you now have some fans debating about how good they feel after a loss.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bman View Post
    I would sign Josh Mcown in Free Agency to come in and push Geno for the Starting job. I would also take a QB in RD 3 if the love one. RD 1 and 2 NEED to be playmaking offensive weapons.
    I think we are"OK" at RB and history tells us that it is very possible to get lucky in the latter rounds with offensive linemen. I would try to grab several of those later in the draft and cross our fingers that we get lucky on one or two of them.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Varjet View Post
    By accounts the Jets have exceeded expectations this season. They beat the Saints and Patriots. Today's game, although a disappointing loss, really went to the 4th Quarter.

Although I believe that Idzik still has a chance to fix the roster, the reason the Jets are not in the Playoffs this year is not Rex Ryan. Rex is not perfect, but when given a roster basically crafted by Mangini, and then with Tannenbaum opening up the wallet and making a run for it, the Jets went to two consecutive AFC Championship games. Rex can do it, but he needs a roster.

Our roster has too many GAPING HOLES this year to be better than, or even, a .500 team. Much of this is on Tannenbaum. But for much of the year, Idzik was not able to put a serviceable, NFL quality left guard, cornerback and wide receivers on the field. Richardson may go down as one of the great draft picks of Jet history. Smith was the right pick there. Milliner may have been a reach-more of a cover 2. Winters is looking not good. The other OL are projects. At this point, this is not looking like a great draft. I think Idzik did his best with the free agents given the budget, and injuries and play decline (e.g. Cromartie) hurt. But Idzik must do a better job this off-season rebuilding the roster.

As far as replacing Ryan, given the players already on the team matched generally to his system, it is a crap shoot whether the team does better or worse replacing him.
    Rex had a talented bunch in Baltimore and when he took over. They made a run and fell short. Whatever the reason the came into those 2 championship games totally unprepared. With a less talented bunch he just can't coach them up. His system is his and he's the only one the can call the d. He is totally lost on the o and special teams are shot. The special team started to suck last season and now it's a mess. Everything that a true head coach needs to be able do, he doesn't. All he's focused on is the d. We have some young talented players and the time to change is now. If Rex coaches another season, we will be discussing this exact topic this time next year. This team has been on the decline for 3 seasons. My vote is to get a new hc and move on. The Ryan's are dinosaurs in a 21 century era of football.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Geno looked much more composed out there while under pressure for most of the game....he was a small chunk of the problem.....

Biggest culprits IMO were the OL, Holmes , and the secondary.....

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BRONX JET View Post
    Agree with a lot. WE must give Hill another year. If more of the same next year, then we cut ties
    Hill is terrible. He should be cut and we should sign real NFL receivers.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by carlito1171 View Post
    Geno looked much more composed out there while under pressure for most of the game....he was a small chunk of the problem.....

Biggest culprits IMO were the OL, Holmes , and the secondary.....
    Geno was very bad yesterday. No pocket presence, terribly inaccurate, can't throw on the run has not ability to read a defense.

He's not the answer.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by EM31 View Post
    The Jets did exceed many of our expectations this year and they did so basically with a defense that was keeping them in some of the games earlier in the season. If we add some help and/or just get a little healthier on the back end the defense will be fine.

Offense and special teams however are a hot steaming mess. It took four first round picks to turn around the defense so I am skeptical that the offense is a one year job. I do not believe we have a competent QB on the roster although to be fair I am taking other people's word for Simms as i have not seen enough on the negative side myself to declare him a "never was". We need help catching the ball everywhere and there is significant housecleaning to do with the current offensive roster. I fear we are in worse shape on the OL than many here care to admit.

The good news is that the defense will move towards being dominant next year and almost anything from the offenase will be enough to have us be competetive. If there is an affordable veteran QB who can be brought in to bridge the gap then fine but we need to dip into the draft at QB again and we need OL and WR help desperately IMO.
    I agree with a lot of what you're saying with one exception. I don't believe it will take nearly as long to turn around the offense, simply because of the strong cap position. While draft picks are very valuable we have enough money to buy two or three key pieces on offense.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fidelioion View Post
    Geno was very bad yesterday. No pocket presence, terribly inaccurate, can't throw on the run has not ability to read a defense.

He's not the answer.
    I wouldn't say very bad...and Geno has been "very bad" plenty this season.....

He had a decent outing up until the pick 6......after that I would call it below avg, but not terrible...

I just realize that this offense will never go anywhere until we add to the overall talent.......I don't spew as much hatred towards Geno because of this reason.....we need more talent at the skill positions before anyone flourishes behind center here.....I don't care if you are Geno, Sanchez, Cutler, or Brady, you are not doing much with that offense....

All of the problems you listed are either over exaggerated or can be corrected in the offseason.....there is no way we go into camp without some competition for Geno that's for sure, but he should be given every opportunity to earn the spot in next year's TC with a semi rebuilt offense...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bman View Post
    Agree with this...as long as we don't have to overpay for McCown....

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by pdxjets View Post
    I agree with you on the whole except for Geno. He looks like he's regressed if anything.
    Name one QB that can be successful with our recieving core.......