Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: This one stung allot less for me: An optimist thread.

This one stung allot less for me: An optimist thread.

I gotta say that I knew the season was over (in terms of contending for a playoff spot or doing anything to remain relevant) after the losses @ buff and @bal. With that being said I just hoped this team would show me some promise in the last few remaining games and so far I am still sort of optimistic about next season. Geno did not play nearly as bad today as he has before, and despite the pick six actually was pretty composed while under constant pressure all day. The defense is actually pressuring QB's and stopping the run even tho the front seven is not as dominant as it was at the start of the season. Ivory looks like an awesome pickup and even Dee Milliner has looked a bit better.

What I am saying is that although this football team is incredibly flawed, I am convinced we are but a handful of important pieces away from being a contender. Clearly the biggest question surrounding this team heading into next season is the future of the QB position. Do we stand behind Geno 100%? Do we draft a QB high if we have a shot at someone like Johnny Football? Do we draft a QB in the later rounds? Do we try to sign Cutler? Do we look for any number of capable vets? Important questions for sure, with no clear absolute answer from where I stand. However I think we can all agree that we need receivers, db's and some tightening up of the Oline. If we fix these problems we have a shot at having a really good year next year IMO. Even if Geno is never going to become great I feel like he at least deserves a chance to succeed with a good team around him.

I say we draft someone in the later rounds...I think Mettenberger will fall dramatically due to his injury so I would even look at him and sign another vet QB. I think Geno will inevitably win the job but at least we will have some capable fill ins if the kid implodes completely.

TL;DR: CHEER UP GUYS ITS NOT THAT BAD...ANOTHER JETS SEASON DOWN THE TUBES AND WE MOVE ON TO NEXT SEASON.

Quote Originally Posted by the jetropolitan ranger View Post
    I gotta say that I knew the season was over (in terms of contending for a playoff spot or doing anything to remain relevant) after the losses @ buff and @bal. With that being said I just hoped this team would show me some promise in the last few remaining games and so far I am still sort of optimistic about next season. Geno did not play nearly as bad today as he has before, and despite the pick six actually was pretty composed while under constant pressure all day. The defense is actually pressuring QB's and stopping the run even tho the front seven is not as dominant as it was at the start of the season. Ivory looks like an awesome pickup and even Dee Milliner has looked a bit better.

What I am saying is that although this football team is incredibly flawed, I am convinced we are but a handful of important pieces away from being a contender. Clearly the biggest question surrounding this team heading into next season is the future of the QB position. Do we stand behind Geno 100%? Do we draft a QB high if we have a shot at someone like Johnny Football? Do we draft a QB in the later rounds? Do we try to sign Cutler? Do we look for any number of capable vets? Important questions for sure, with no clear absolute answer from where I stand. However I think we can all agree that we need receivers, db's and some tightening up of the Oline. If we fix these problems we have a shot at having a really good year next year IMO. Even if Geno is never going to become great I feel like he at least deserves a chance to succeed with a good team around him.

I say we draft someone in the later rounds...I think Mettenberger will fall dramatically due to his injury so I would even look at him and sign another vet QB. I think Geno will inevitably win the job but at least we will have some capable fill ins if the kid implodes completely.

TL;DR: CHEER UP GUYS ITS NOT THAT BAD...ANOTHER JETS SEASON DOWN THE TUBES AND WE MOVE ON TO NEXT SEASON.
    Am with you here. Was totally in despair on this team after the three blowout losses where I saw the worst offensive football since the Kotite years (even worse because at least Chrebet and Keyshawn were already here). But today, you figured that they were going to lose, but they played hard all day. Couple of terrible mistakes. If not for the blocked punt, this was shaping up to be a potential upset. What I liked most was that Geno came back after the pick and had a great drive. We can only hope he reached the nadir and is now climbing out. Did not see him locking on to receivers as he did a few weeks ago. Seemed like he was going through progressions. Not saying we are suddenly good, but there were reasons for optimism today. Geno bouncing back, Milliner starting to be solid (they seem to now pick on Cromartie instead), Chris Ivory, Sheldon Richardson. Even a couple of great run blocks by Winters (I know, he was still a turnstile on passing downs). Am only hoping that we can end the season with some optimism that a few players are starting to develop.

Wow, sanity does exist in this fan base and this board?

I pretty much feel the same.

I'm also not ready to give up on Rex yet, something about the last two games, what I sense from the team during the week of preparation, comments by players, coaches, Rex, and even Idzik, they seem to be on the same page, they knew the year would be a challenge, but to me they've put in an over achieving effort despite the lacking talent, and especially the injuries.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by phillyjet View Post
    Am with you here. Was totally in despair on this team after the three blowout losses where I saw the worst offensive football since the Kotite years (even worse because at least Chrebet and Keyshawn were already here). But today, you figured that they were going to lose, but they played hard all day. Couple of terrible mistakes. If not for the blocked punt, this was shaping up to be a potential upset. What I liked most was that Geno came back after the pick and had a great drive. We can only hope he reached the nadir and is now climbing out. Did not see him locking on to receivers as he did a few weeks ago. Seemed like he was going through progressions. Not saying we are suddenly good, but there were reasons for optimism today. Geno bouncing back, Milliner starting to be solid (they seem to now pick on Cromartie instead), Chris Ivory, Sheldon Richardson. Even a couple of great run blocks by Winters (I know, he was still a turnstile on passing downs). Am only hoping that we can end the season with some optimism that a few players are starting to develop.
    Not the point but the Kotite years didnt have bad offense it was the defense that was terrible. Offense was actually pretty good at times.

The only game that bothered me this year was Tennessee.
    And that was only because the Jets got my expectations up with how they were playing.
    After that kick in the nuts (which I was half expecting) none of the losses have been a big deal to me at all.
    I knew we couldn't pick up ANYONE outside of the draft thanks to Tannenbum and our WRs for the must part suck ass.

I've enjoyed this season quite a bit! Maybe because IDGAF... Idzik finally gets the handcuffs off after a couple more games here.

Jets Insider VIP
    When I saw Sheldon Richardson run the ball today for a TD and push the whole DL back I thought the team had a spark. It kind of shows me what a play maker can do.

Holmes and Geno have no chemistry. He's our #1 WR and that pathetic. A few play makers and this team can compete. Ivory and Powell are a good tandem and not the problem. When Geno steps up and has time he can throw a frozen rope to his receiver; however, he doesn't have his timing and foot work down this season to make those throws consistantly. He also doesn't go through his progressions and stares down one receiver consistantly. Maybe this year is what he needed to progress to the next level.

I'm a minority here when I say I think next season we'll do a lot better with a lot of new draft picks and our younger players having a year behind their belt in this WCO. We'll have money to get a few good FA and we have a core to move forward.

Veteran
    I agree with you on the whole except for Geno. He looks like he's regressed if anything.

Quote Originally Posted by jets31 View Post
    Not the point but the Kotite years didnt have bad offense it was the defense that was terrible. Offense was actually pretty good at times.
    Really? Neil O'Donnell, Bubby Brister? I remember the D being decent. Marvin Jones and Mo Lewis were there, as was Aaron Glenn.

Nice post. Though all the earmarks were there after the loses to Buffalo & Baltimore, I still thought we had a legitimate shot at the playoffs till we lost to the Dolphins. After the Miami loss the playoffs realistically became a pipe dream.

As far as some of the personnel moves you discussed, I agree with your assessment that we are but a handful of important pieces away. I am glad I don't have to make the call on the QB position. There are times I am convinced that Geno is our future, then there are times I think we may have to continue to look. I still favor bringing in a veteran rather drafting another QB. I would prefer to use some picks on impact offensive players to put whomever is our QB next season into a position to succeed.

Another tough call is the HC position. Although I still lean toward keeping Rex, I still think upper management has yet to make a definitive decision. I do think the next two games may play a part in the final decision.
    Last edited by JetsFanatic; 12-15-2013 at 09:43 PM.

Geno has shown some positive steps. He cant seem to recognize a blitzing corner yet but neither can anyone else on this team. If the Jets stick with Marty on offense and Rex for his defense and have a good draft and maybe pick up some decent players on offense I'm thinking they will improve majorly for next season. Give Rex a small extension and stick with Geno. That doesn't mean don't draft another QB if u fall in love with one but I'm fairly convinced that in the same system Geno will be a decent QB next season.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by pdxjets View Post
    I agree with you on the whole except for Geno. He looks like he's regressed if anything.
    How could you legitimately tell when he does not have any threats at receiver and the OL gives him so little time to set his feet?

By accounts the Jets have exceeded expectations this season. They beat the Saints and Patriots. Today's game, although a disappointing loss, really went to the 4th Quarter.

Although I believe that Idzik still has a chance to fix the roster, the reason the Jets are not in the Playoffs this year is not Rex Ryan. Rex is not perfect, but when given a roster basically crafted by Mangini, and then with Tannenbaum opening up the wallet and making a run for it, the Jets went to two consecutive AFC Championship games. Rex can do it, but he needs a roster.

Our roster has too many GAPING HOLES this year to be better than, or even, a .500 team. Much of this is on Tannenbaum. But for much of the year, Idzik was not able to put a serviceable, NFL quality left guard, cornerback and wide receivers on the field. Richardson may go down as one of the great draft picks of Jet history. Smith was the right pick there. Milliner may have been a reach-more of a cover 2. Winters is looking not good. The other OL are projects. At this point, this is not looking like a great draft. I think Idzik did his best with the free agents given the budget, and injuries and play decline (e.g. Cromartie) hurt. But Idzik must do a better job this off-season rebuilding the roster.

As far as replacing Ryan, given the players already on the team matched generally to his system, it is a crap shoot whether the team does better or worse replacing him.

The thing that has really struck me this year is that although the Jets have so many issues....it seems that every team in the NFL seems to have major flaws. Especially on the defensive end, it just seems like so many teams in the NFL have terrible defenses. The Jets have a good salary cap situation going into next year, hopefully they lock up Wilkerson and sign some talent on offense. If the offense adds a few play makers and the QB cut down on turnovers, the Jets would be a playoff team IMO.

Also, on the bright side, Brady will be one year older next year... so there's that.

Quote Originally Posted by Keyshawn View Post

Also, on the bright side, Brady will be one year older next year... so there's that.
    ... Best news I have heard all year.

I was a supporter of Rex until the bye week. If he had the team prepared like he did this week, then the Jets would've won more games this year and not had so many blowout losses. Why wait until week 14 to make sure the team played like it did today? He gives these players too much leeway (Dave & Buster's, Victory Monday, etc). An experienced coach doesn't consistently have time management issues and a defensive coach's defense doesn't give up almost 400 yards!

Poor tackling and defenders not catching balls thrown right at them is on the head coach.

Quote Originally Posted by SpiritOfWeeb View Post
    I was a supporter of Rex until the bye week. If he had the team prepared like he did this week, then the Jets would've won more games this year and not had so many blowout losses. Why wait until week 14 to make sure the team played like it did today? He gives these players too much leeway (Dave & Buster's, Victory Monday, etc). An experienced coach doesn't consistently have time management issues and a defensive coach's defense doesn't give up almost 400 yards!

Poor tackling and defenders not catching balls thrown right at them is on the head coach.
    This is a really good point. I am not saying that I am behind keeping rex...I think the team lacks serious discipline and a majority of the fault has to fall on coaching, particularly the head coach. However installing a new coach/system could scramble up the good parts about this team so it's sort of a crapshoot no matter what we do with the HC. Regardless I still feel we have a good chance next year, we just need a really thorough tuneup this offseason...take advantage of every single draft pick and sign players that fill holes on this team. I feel like Idzig did okay this past offseason despite the teams struggles (still do not understand not drafting a receiver tho). We should have a good chance to make some noise next year but once again we have to be patient. As a Jet fan I have seen really hard times for this club and as frustrating as this year has been it is nowhere near as bad as it has been in the past. The future is pretty bright.

I completely agree. The losses to Buffalo, Baltimore, and Miami were absolutely demoralizing to watch, just a mess especially on offense. But the Jets held their own against a really good team, the blocked punt was the difference. Obviously, we're not a good enough team to overcome mistakes like that and the pick 6.

I also am on the fence about Rex. But I don't think he's going anywhere anyway. He has squeezed out as much as he can out of this mostly talentless group, and Woody is hard for Rex. Last year was basically a non-official two year extension for Rex I think. Next year its probably playoffs or bust for him.

The Geno situation is easy if you ask me:

- Bring in QB with experience (FA or TRADE) if they beat out Geno in training camp, let Geno sit and learn. I thought he'd need a year or TWO to really learn considering he did not run a pro style offense in college. His learned curve is magnified ten fold coming from his college offense.

- Draft another QB if one you like falls to you or close to you (let them all compete in camp)

- Cut Holmes & Hill, revamp OLINE and WR corps. Complete overhaul minus getting rid of Kerley.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Senny View Post
    I completely agree. The losses to Buffalo, Baltimore, and Miami were absolutely demoralizing to watch, just a mess especially on offense. But the Jets held their own against a really good team, the blocked punt was the difference. Obviously, we're not a good enough team to overcome mistakes like that and the pick 6.

I also am on the fence about Rex. But I don't think he's going anywhere anyway. He has squeezed out as much as he can out of this mostly talentless group, and Woody is hard for Rex. Last year was basically a non-official two year extension for Rex I think. Next year its probably playoffs or bust for him.

The Geno situation is easy if you ask me:

- Bring in QB with experience (FA or TRADE) if they beat out Geno in training camp, let Geno sit and learn. I thought he'd need a year or TWO to really learn considering he did not run a pro style offense in college. His learned curve is magnified ten fold coming from his college offense.

- Draft another QB if one you like falls to you or close to you (let them all compete in camp)

- Cut Holmes & Hill, revamp OLINE and WR corps. Complete overhaul minus getting rid of Kerley.
    Agree with a lot. WE must give Hill another year. If more of the same next year, then we cut ties

Quote Originally Posted by BRONX JET View Post
    Agree with a lot. WE must give Hill another year. If more of the same next year, then we cut ties
    Bronx Jet that profile pic of the SACK EXCHANGE is absolute GOLD ! Random thought, when the defense took the field in the 80s at home, they should have played the NYSE Bell !! What a good gimmick that would have been.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by jets31 View Post
    The O was ranked dead last in 95 and 27th in 96..In 95 the D was 26th and 29th in 96 as Nancy Pelosi said recently you had to embrace the Suck..