Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: WR Problem: How Do You Solve It?

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

WR Problem: How Do You Solve It?

We must have the worst set of WRs and playmakers trying to catch the ball in the entire league.

Our "No. 1" is an over the hill drama queen who has lost his speed, can't catch in traffic, and is pretty much a malcontent. Is there a worse No. 1 in the league? Is there one guy that is considered a No. 1 on any other team that you wouldn't trade him for in a heart beat?

Our No. 2 WR is a slot WR with injury problems and lacks top end speed.

Our No. 3 WR is a speedster that can't catch the ball, and is injury prone.

The rest are guys picked up off the street.

So let's assume some things going into next season:

Winslow and Holmes will be gone from the team. Salas, Nelson, etc can all be deemed free agents, so they are gone (but you can opt to re-sign them).

What do you do?

Free Agency Options:

A) Eric Decker- He's a good pass catcher with good hands, decent route runner, has good size (6'3), and is fast enough but not a burner. However, he's also going to get over-valued because Peyton Manning will trump up his stats, and that could be concerning when he's facing double teams as our No. 1 WR since I don't think he's ever been a true No. 1.

B) Hakeem Nicks- Probably has the most accomplished career of the guys available, but is also coming off a terrible year where he looks like he has lost a step. He wasn't super fast to begin with (I believe Geno ran a faster 40 time than him) so him losing a step could be a major blow to his abilities, and it's out of the realm of possibilities because of his knee injuries. Riskier than Decker.

C) Jeremy Maclin- He had very good wheels, and was a good catcher who is familiar with the MM system. However, his injury is a major question mark, and if his explosiveness is robbed, then we get a lemon. However, he might be one to take a one year deal to rebuild his value. However, I don't think he's ever been a true No. 1 WR.

D) Golden Tate- The fastest of the 4 main guys mentioned here and may get the second biggest contract out of the bunch when all is said and done, but he's not a true No. 1 WR either.

E) Emmanuel Sanders- He's another fast guy, but a bit under-sized. I also don't think he's been a true No. 1 in any year of his career, so do we make him our highest paid guy?

Salary Cap Problems:

F) Andre Johnson- The Texans are deep in salary cap trouble, so there is a slight chance that he is let go (although I still think they will find ways to fit him in), and he's a true No. 1 WR albeit nearing the end of his dominant time.

G) Miles Austin- He'll most certainly be cut and available, but he might be over the hill after all of his injuries, but still remains an option, especially if he won't cost top money.

H) Sidney Rice- I'm not 100% sure he gets cut, but with a hefty price tag and Harvin on board, they might just cut the guy. He had one great year, and has been terrible or injured every other year, so I doubt he gets a high salary. He might be a worthwhile reclamation project.

Draft:

I) Sammy Watkins- The top rated WR in the draft, and a dynamic weapon similar to a more polished Coradelle Patterson with the Vikings. He will go high in the draft, and there is a good chance he won't make it down to the Jets pick.

J) Mike Evans- A large target with good hands, I expect him to drop a bit when it comes to the draft because I really doubt he's running a fast 40 time. Good chance he's available in the first round when we pick.

K) Marquise Lee- Prospects that have gone into their final year as the top WR, but dropped because of production, tend to have done well lately (Jeffery, Allen two recent examples), and he does have an excuse of having terrible QBs this season with a lame coach. I would have no problem picking him as long as he does well at the combine.

L) Davante Adams- A very good WR prospect that could go in the mid to late first round if he does well at the combine. He could also go early in the second round if a team wants to pair him and QB Carr together.

M) Jordan Mathews- A reliable catcher that won't set the world on fire, but also has a very good floor. He's deceptively fast and he's done well against very good competition in the SEC while being on an under-talented team.

N) Allen Robinson- Someone who has the height and measurable assets to be a stud, but has lapses in concentration sometimes. He's very good at catching the ball at it's high point atleast in my viewings.

O) Kelvin Benjamin- An interesting prospect, that could have his stock skyrocket if he actually posts a fast 40 time. He's built like a TE playing WR with good hands. If he posts a fast time, he could move all the way up to No. 2 on this list.

P) Jarvis Landry- A good reliable target that will go across the middle with good speed and good hands. I don't think the upside is there to be true No. 1, but there is a reliability factor here.

Q) Odell Beckham Jr.- Somewhat similar to Landry, as I don't think they have the potential to be No. 1, but will make a good complimentary WR with a good floor.

R) Brandin Cooks- He's a slot WR nightmare, but we already have Kerley. But he has big play ability and would add a home run threat to our offense.

S) Paul Richardson- A highly productive WR that constantly faces double teams but still produces. His 40 time could determine if he climbs this list.

T) Brandon Coleman- A WR once thought as a possible first round pick, drops because of a dip in production and terrible QB play. He has the size and speed to be a dark horse to move up.

U) Jalen Sanders- A dynamic slot option that is familiar with Air Raid concepts, but he should drop into the middle rounds.

V) De'Anthony Thomas- He will go higher than some of the guys listed because he'll be a RB as well, but he could be dynamic as well, and if we have him as our No. 4 WR, he'd dominate.

So what do you do with these options?

Do you sign Decker to fill No. 1 slot, draft a first round pick in Watkins, Evans, Lee? Would Evans be at a disadvantage with Decker there because they are both larger guys who aren't burners? Do you try to sign someone like Tate or Maclin to a cheaper contract and see if you can fill out the roster better? How do you handle the draft? First Round WR, second round TE, and see which WR drops to the 3rd?

Would you sign up for Decker, Lee, Sebastin-Jenkins, and say Brandon Coleman/Paul Richardson? A WR core of Decker/Lee/Kerley/Hill/Coleman? This is obviously just one combination and I didn't think of every possible candidates out there, but I would like to hear how you would fill out the roster. With money owed and contract status, our WR going into next year will be:

1- Empty
    2- Empty
    3- Kerley
    4- Hill
    5- Empty

So need to fill 3 spots from any combinations.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't really like any of the FA WRs. If I had to guess I think we'll have the 10-14th pick in the draft. Sammy Watkins should be off the board by then. I would trade back into the early 20s and draft DaVante Adams while picking up an extra 2nd. Then I'd draft a combination of: Jordan Matthews, Gordon Melvin III, Bishop Sankey, Austin Sefarian-Jenkins, and Jarvis Landry in the 2nd/3rd rounds.

My perfect offseason/draft would look like:

Cut:
    Sanchez
    Holmes
    Goodson

Restructure:
    Antonio Cromartie
    Nick Mangold

Josh McCown, QB, Chi - 2 years - 8mil
    Jarius Byrd, S, Buf - 4 years - 24mil
    Jon Asamoah, OG, KC - 4 years - 25mil
    Sam Shields, CB, GB - 4 years - 24 mil

1-Sammy Watkins, WR, Clemson
    2-DaVante Adams, WR, Fresno State
    3rd-Melvin Gordon, RB, Wisconsin
    3rd-Jeremiah Attacho, OLB, Ga Tech
    4th-Stanley Jean-Baptiste, CB, Nebraska
    5th-Rashad Greene, WR, FSU
    5th-Nickeo Whitley, S, Miss State
    6th-Phillip Gaines, CB, Rice
    7th-Michael Dyer, RB, Louisville
    7th-Kirby Van Der Kamp, P, Iowa State
    UDFA-Sean Price, WR, App State
    UDFA-Chandler Jones, WR, San Jose State
    UDFA-Trey Wolfe, CB, Forte Valley

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Austin and Rice are always hurt and we already have one of those in Hill.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm usually against trading up in the draft, however if they believe Watkins is an AJ Green type franchise WR they should pull out all the stops to move up and get him.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think Kerley and Hill fill two roster spots next year. That leaves three to four spots occupied by Cribbs, Nelson, etc. that could potentially be upgraded.

I would sign at least two receivers (not including undrafted players and camp fodder) even though we could probably get away with signing one.

In the draft I have no problem moving up or down as long as the players we obtain give us value where they were selected.

With that being said we have to go BPA (aside from D-Line / CB).

Passing up a guy like Luke Kuechy because we "need a WR" or because we "are set at linebacker" will leave us outside of the playoffs looking in (This is why I get two WRs in free agency instead of one - in case we miss out in the draft).

We might be better off trading up for a guy like Sammy Watkins at WR or trading down to take Jace Amaro at TE than we would by settling for the WR that drops to us.

If we lose the next two games (fairly likely) our pick should be around # 10.

We would need to move up a couple spots past the Raiders to land Watkins.

I would love to get Jake Long but unless we move into the top five he will be long gone.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood Nosebleed View Post

Cut:
    Sanchez
    Holmes
    Goodson

Restructure:
    Antonio Cromartie
    Nick Mangold

No point in cutting Goodson who is cheap enough to be brought back for camp fodder.

I like your free agent choices but they will each cost at least $2 mil more per year than the amounts you llisted.

Just like going defense in round one five years in a row did not work for us you can't force three offensive players with our first three picks, much lest receivers in rounds 1-2 and expect to land value.

Also, Watkins and possibly Evans are already gone where we pick unless you are trading up.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    McCown will get much more than that. We also need address RT.

I would sign for the draft in a heart beat. If we managed to get a kid like Rashad Greene in the 5th round that would be a steal.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by James Hasty View Post
    I think Kerley and Hill fill two roster spots next year. That leaves three to four spots occupied by Cribbs, Nelson, etc. that could potentially be upgraded.

I would sign at least two receivers (not including undrafted players and camp fodder) even though we could probably get away with signing one.

In the draft I have no problem moving up or down as long as the players we obtain give us value where they were selected.

With that being said we have to go BPA (aside from D-Line / CB).

Passing up a guy like Luke Kuechy because we "need a WR" or because we "are set at linebacker" will leave us outside of the playoffs looking in (This is why I get two WRs in free agency instead of one - in case we miss out in the draft).

We might be better off trading up for a guy like Sammy Watkins at WR or trading down to take Jace Amaro at TE than we would by settling for the WR that drops to us.

S. we lose the next two games (fairly likely) our pick should be around # 10.

We would need to move up a couple spots past the Raiders to land Watkins.

I would love to get Jake Long but unless we move into the top five he will be long gone.
    Raiders are currently picking third in the draft. If they stay there they most likely are picking
    J Clowney or Anthony Barr. I seriously doubt they take a Wr when they can get a potentially impact defensive player. Also there is Good chance Raiders lose their best defensive lineman Lamaar Houston in Fa. They aren't going to pay him the money he wants. Why I can't see them going Wr early in the draft.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by James Hasty View Post
    No point in cutting Goodson who is cheap enough to be brought back for camp fodder.

I like your free agent choices but they will each cost at least $2 mil more per year than the amounts you llisted.

Just like going defense in round one five years in a row did not work for us you can't force three offensive players with our first three picks, much lest receivers in rounds 1-2 and expect to land value.

Also, Watkins and possibly Evans are already gone where we pick unless you are trading up.
    That makes no sense.
    Goodson is cheap enough to be brought back for camp fodder? No?
    We can save $2.5 mil cutting him & what's the point of keeping him if we can save that amount plus bring in someone younger for cheaper that can do what he does but most likely better in the early rounds?
    He's coming off a bad injury & he has legal issues. He needs to go. Our RB group isn't that strong to keep him around for "camp fodder".

Also, as of right now, the only teams in front of us that may go WR in round 1 is the Raiders & Rams. They may be too high to take a luxury like a WR in rd 1 because of so many other holes.
    Free Agency could affect their needs too. Let's just say Eric Decker signs with OAK & Hakeem Nicks signs with the STL, you don't think Sammy Watkins &/or Mike Evans wouldn't be sitting there for the taking?
    Last edited by DowNY; 12-16-2013 at 01:28 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't really like any of the FA WRs. If I had to guess I think we'll have the 10-14th pick in the draft. Sammy Watkins should be off the board by then. I would trade back into the early 20s and draft DaVante Adams while picking up an extra 2nd. Then I'd draft a combination of: Jordan Matthews, Gordon Melvin III, Bishop Sankey, Austin Sefarian-Jenkins, and Jarvis Landry in the 2nd/3rd rounds.

Cut:
    Sanchez
    Holmes
    Goodson

Restructure:
    Antonio Cromartie
    Nick Mangold

Pretty sure Gordon isnt coming out.

I like Jean-Baptiste but as a safety not CB.

Love Chandler Jones as an UDFA, depending on how many comp picks the Jets get I wouldnt mind using one on him instead of the punter you suggested.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Pretty sure Gordon isnt coming out.

I like Jean-Baptiste but as a safety not CB.

Love Chandler Jones as an UDFA, depending on how many comp picks the Jets get I wouldnt mind using one on him instead of the punter you suggested.
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200...advisory-board

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Interesting, wonder where they advise where he will be drafted?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
    I'm usually against trading up in the draft, however if they believe Watkins is an AJ Green type franchise WR they should pull out all the stops to move up and get him.
    Agreed

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ive never said this before but I think obviously at this point you cut Holmes. I think you bring back everyone else.

I would draft Mike Evans if it was me. What this team really needs is a big physical WR who will fight for the ball. A possession guy. I dont care what his 40 time is.

After that we should bring in a low budget WR. Maclin would be a good low risk high reward one year deal.

Kerley is the only obvious keeper. Everyone else competes for a job. Hill should get one more year to prove himself but the.injuries worry me.

There are FA that are interesting but will cost to much and would be to risky. Idzik builds through the draft!

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Interesting, wonder where they advise where he will be drafted?
    He's probably a 2-3 right now but can be a 1-2 if he stays.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    McCown will get much more than that. We also need address RT.

I would sign for the draft in a heart beat. If we managed to get a kid like Rashad Greene in the 5th round that would be a steal.
    I do not understand thehate for Howard. While not an all pro he is more then servicable and blocks well in the run game. A team can not have stars at every position. We let Slauson go and look at the mess we have with Winters & Vlad.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jet View Post
    I do not understand thehate for Howard. While not an all pro he is more then servicable and blocks well in the run game. A team can not have stars at every position. We let Slauson go and look at the mess we have with Winters & Vlad.
    I think he means that RT has to addressed because Howard is a free agent after this season, so he needs to be included in the off season additions if the Jets opt to keep him.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jet View Post
    Agreed. I never understand this either but ppl have been complaining since the day he started. He is servicable. Still young and improving. We have much bigger problems and needs.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    He's probably a 2-3 right now but can be a 1-2 if he stays.
    He won't go higher than Todd Gurley or maybe even TJ Yeldon if he stays. He can be 1st back chosen this draft if he press the right buttons.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
    agreed, Watkins is a franchise WR and we should pay up for him