Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Do Not Fire Rex - Give him the players he needs!!!

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JonEJet View Post
    If you gave Rex a serviceable QB....Lets use Jason Cambell as an example, is this team not a playoff team in this watered down AFC?

IT'S ALL ABOUT THE QB
    Typical agenda drive nonsense. No QB can throw TDs and win games when he is on his back or is being run down the second he receives the ball. No QB can win if he is NOT on the same page as his receivers. REX allows WINSLOW & HOLMES not to practice and in games it shows! But hey, why not blame our rookie QB who has won only 6 games when all the smart football people like you were picking the Jets to win 2 games! In fact Geno the raw rookie won 4 games by coming from behind. But hey, why not dump on the rookie? You sure are right! This is but a QB from the SB. I hope that QBalso plays: CB ; safety; left OG; right OG; LT ; TE; Yep! You really nailed it! Its all about the QB.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    dealing revis was bold and necesssary. and i support taking geno where they did. but this offseason is so critical for them. what do they do with rex, sanchez, holmes, harris, etc? they have extra picks, do they go after a qb like gangbusters in the first, do they trade back into the first like buffalo did, or do they try to get a value game manager type in the 2nd or 3rd rounds? how aggressively do they try to rebuild the offensive talent this offseason? idzik didn't really have options when he came on board, but now he does, and this is the offseason he's gonna be remembered for IMO. there's finally some cap relief, qbs in the draft and dead wood to be cut. what does he do, and what doesn't he do?
    Completely agree, the only point I'm making is - this is on Idzik not Rex.

Rex will coach what he's given and Idzik will build and be responsible for the talent level.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jet View Post
    Typical agenda drive nonsense. No QB can throw TDs and win games when he is on his back or is being run down the second he receives the ball. No QB can win if he is NOT on the same page as his receivers. REX allows WINSLOW & HOLMES not to practice and in games it shows! But hey, why not blame our rookie QB who has won only 6 games when all the smart football people like you were picking the Jets to win 2 games! In fact Geno the raw rookie won 4 games by coming from behind. But hey, why not dump on the rookie? You sure are right! This is but a QB from the SB. I hope that QBalso plays: CB ; safety; left OG; right OG; LT ; TE; Yep! You really nailed it! Its all about the QB.
    So it's your contention Geno Smith is and has been a good QB?

Schluberator & Gadfly
    Post Thanks / Like
    Like it or not, I think with 6 wins, Rex will be back.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fidelioion View Post

Rex will coach what he's given and Idzik will build and be responsible for the talent level.
    if rex returns, rex will focus on defense and if the team is competitive at the halfway point he will neuter the offense which will lead to a freefalling 2nd half of the season.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    if rex returns, rex will focus on defense and if the team is competitive at the halfway point he will neuter the offense which will lead to a freefalling 2nd half of the season.
    If the offense shows a level of competence and not delivering more int. than TD's - I doubt that's the case.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

That's completely nonsensical. Rex is at least 50% responsible probably more for the players on the team. The GM may have the "final call" but he builds the team to the blueprint that the coach sets. Rex tells Idzik the types of players he wants on defense and offense. He tells Idzik the VALUE of players to his team. As an example, Rex will tell Idzik that CB is more important than safety or linebacker or RECEIVER. He will say that run blocking skill is more important than pass blocking for OL. He will say that building the defense is more important than building the offense. And then the draft board (and players they pick up in FA) are stacked according to the preferences of the head coach. That is why GMs want "their guy" because they evaluate and value talent the same way.

I can guarantee that if we had an offensive minded coach, our drafting would be completely and totally different.

The reality is that Rex DOES have the roster makeup that he wants. He is responsible for it. And it is obvious that the makeup of team that Rex wants is not a winning one. Anyone who thinks that the coach is not 1A in importance for selecting the players on a team is completely oblivious

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    At this point his defense isnt even good. Theres just no reason to keep him anymore.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    If the offense shows a level of competence and not delivering more int. than TD's - I doubt that's the case.
    You don't get it:

Coaching around your young player's mistakes and not allowing them to make said mistakes ruins said players. They have to be allowed to have growing pains. Otherwise you end up with Sam Bradford or Mark Sanchez. Guys who weren't allowed to be terrible due to exceedingly high expectations. Look at Eli Manning. He was putrid when he came into the league.

But there's gotta be a flash somewhere that shows why you got the player. Some reason why he's worth your commitment to him financially and your fanbase's confidence.

Neither Geno nor Sanchez have had that.

Now he's got two rings and arguably the ballsiest throw in history under his belt.

I'm talking a devastating game with like 300+ yards, a 70+% completion rate, 3 or more TDs, and more TDs than INT's.
    Last edited by PMarsico9; 12-16-2013 at 01:27 PM.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Uptowngreengang View Post
    I'm sorry, but we have 6 wins with NO ONE ON THE OFFENSIVE SIDE OF THE BALL.

- Winters gives up sacks every week.
    - Colon is good for a penalty a game.
    - Hill has been hot garbage
    - Santonio. Enough Said. - Was is Rex's fault that Santonio drops a pass that hit him in the chest yesterday????
    - Goodson was the best player on offense and he's done (when he wasn't suspended or indicted)
    - Cumberland can't make a big catch in traffic.
    - Geno tries but is a rookie making rookie mistakes.

The defense CANT STAY ON THE FIELD AS LONG AS IT DOES WEEK TO WEEK AND BE EFFECTIVE. IT IS NOT POSSIBLE.

- I'm sorry, but with this roster, I'll take the six wins. THERE IS NO COACH IN THE LEAGUE THAT COULD ACHIEVE 6 WINS WITH THIS OFFENSIVE ROSTER.
    If Rex allowed his OC to fully implement his plan we wouldn't be having this conversation. The O looks much worse because Rex is afraid of turnovers , it makes his dream of 7-6 games disappear. On top of this what FA would want to come to the Jets with this offensive philosophy, I'm sure wr's would love to come here and get thrown to 1-2 times per game. Rex has killed this offense , time and time again we see the fingerprints of his meddling with the conserative BS and time and time again we get nothing but excuses from his apologists. You say no coach can win with this offensive roster, I contend no offense can win with this conserative gameplan in today's NFL.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    In reading the book on the Jets 2011 season it's apparent everyone likes Rex but it's not always the one who is best liked who gets the job done. Players may like playing for him but the constant missteps and mental mistakes show that there is a lack of discipline

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    If you gave Rex a serviceable QB....Lets use Jason Cambell as an example, is this team not a playoff team in this watered down AFC?

IT'S ALL ABOUT THE QB
    Its all about his conserative , scared to have turnovers philosophy on offense. Campbell would be nothing more than a bigger version of Geno.
    First mulit interception game and we'd be back to the football equivalent of the 4 corner stall. Rex believes if his offense simply doesn't turn the ball over, his "elite" D can win any game. His philosophy has been proven wrong over and over again. He's not going to change. so we need to change him to being unemployed.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    They ran into salary cap hell. You can't possibly blame the HC for the bad contracts the GM made. The reason this team has no talent on offense is because we're spending too much money on players that don't produce.
    But both those players were highly sought out by Rex and the reason they were on the team was due to Rex's influenece over the GM. Sure Tanny screwed the pooch with those contracts but if Rex goes into Tanny's office and says listen Mike we wanted these two players but we can't win with them perhaps they don't get extended. To absolve Rex , especially with these two players is laughable.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sure he bears responsibility but not enough to be fired over. He's a solid NFL football coach and I believe stability is important. How long was Bill Cowher the coach of the Steelers before his first Super Bowl?

He's learning and will continue to learn.to bring in what? who? Another first time HC coach? a college guy?
    He's super stubborn, that type of personality doesn't learn.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 56mehl56 View Post
    He's super stubborn, that type of personality doesn't learn.
    True, the notion that he is learning and will continue to learn is simply comical. Other than not making anymore silly Super Bowl proclamations, what has Rex learned?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Please show me a playoff team this year with a QB as bad as Geno?
    Pleass show me a non-playoff team with all the 1st round picks on defense we have. When you ignore offense, you get offensive incompetence.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    There were bad personnel decisions made. The most egregious being breaking up the o-line. They should have done everything in their power to keep that o-line together, but they didn't.

Deteriorating talent will almost certainly = deteriorating play. It's not brain surgery here.

I'll say it again, put talent around Rex and he'll put the team in a position to win.
    You can saythat about any coach who's worth their paycheck. Probnlem is other coaches develop players and help unleash their talents, Rex needs all the talent just to stay competetive.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Life View Post
    At this point his defense isnt even good. Theres just no reason to keep him anymore.
    Nothing else really needs to be said.

The biggest benefit of having Rex in the past was that he always fielded a damn good defense.

People can sit here and talk about the lack of talent on offense all they want, but what the hell is the excuse for the defense which has sh*tloads of talent? More former 1st round pick starters than any other team in the league, to be exact.

If the secondary is struggling, why hasn't the "defensive genius" or "defensive guru" coached them up to play at even a semi-competent level?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Depends on what they're giving me recommendations. If it's not in their job description then no, I wouldn't be concerned.

Rex has done a nice job developing defensive talent. We know who he is - developing offensive talent will be mostly on the OC but he needs to raw material to develop in the first place.
    Really, who has he helped devleop on the D side ?? Pouha, Devito, the rest were super talented draft picks that any decent DC could help achieve.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rex is not developing any talent. A former Rex suppoter I say fire him.