Thread: If Rex Goes, are the Jets Better Suited to a 4-3?

All Pro

If Rex Goes, are the Jets Better Suited to a 4-3?

Not advocating it, necessarily, but I am interested in what people think as Coples has been playing out of position and the DL may be our sole strength at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by RIJetFan View Post
    Not advocating it, necessarily, but I am interested in what people think as Coples has been playing out of position and the DL may be our sole strength at the moment.
    I'd say no. the DL has been too good to dick around with, it's literally the only good thing about the team.

No. We dont have the linebackers to play 4-3 and we dont have guys who can play 4-3 DE.
    In a 4-3 Richardson, Wilkerson, Snacks and Coples would all have to play inside. 4-3 DE have to be quick, usually in the 6'4 265-275lb range. We dont have that.
    Only Davis is suited to play LB in the 4-3. The other guys are too slow and unathletic.

Yes they would be better at 4-3. They can get still use a big body at DT as Minny used to. Richardson, Wilkerson and Coples will all be well suited to a 4-3. We have virtually no viable olbs, even if pace had an amazing year for him and got a few sacks. A 4-3 removes just a bit of responsibility from the lineman and lets them make plays as opposed to having to hold the line or gaps as 3-4 ends. (Many people disagree with this line of thinking which is fine.)

Quote Originally Posted by kennyo7 View Post
    No. We dont have the linebackers to play 4-3 and we dont have guys who can play 4-3 DE.
    In a 4-3 Richardson, Wilkerson, Snacks and Coples would all have to play inside. 4-3 DE have to be quick, usually in the 6'4 265-275lb range. We dont have that.
    Only Davis is suited to play LB in the 4-3. The other guys are too slow and unathletic.
    We don't have the olbs and have not had the olbs to play a 3-4 for the last 3 or 4 years.

This is what concerns me about Rex leaving and gettin an offensive mind in.

What will happen to our investments of 1sr round picks in Mo, Coples and Shel, what will happen to their development? Especially players like Snacks?
    Last edited by Harrier; 12-17-2013 at 12:16 PM.

All League
    Richardson, Mo and Coples would actually be a very formidable start to a 4-3 DL in the mold you used to see in Chicago and Tampa. Richardson and Mo at DT where they are asked to knife and penetrate rather than just eat up blocks. Coples is certainly a fit as a 4-3 strongside DE.

I agree with others that the LBs are where we don't have much of a fit.
    Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

Not at all... Mo and Sheldon are both better off inside and a 4-3 would remove Harrison.

4-3 is just bad in every way.

Right now, the only guy out of position is SLIGHTLY Coples but he's still making an impact.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    Not at all... Mo and Sheldon are both better off inside and a 4-3 would remove Harrison.

4-3 is just bad in every way.

Right now, the only guy out of position is SLIGHTLY Coples but he's still making an impact.
    Why couldn't Harrison play tackle in a 4-3? And Coples and Richardson are versatile D-Linemen who could play tackle and end.

I would think Ellis would also be a solid tackle in a 4-3

Gotta play Coples as a DE in a 4-3. Otherwise he is not being maximized and is extremely limited.

Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    Yes they would be better at 4-3. They can get still use a big body at DT as Minny used to. Richardson, Wilkerson and Coples will all be well suited to a 4-3. We have virtually no viable olbs, even if pace had an amazing year for him and got a few sacks. A 4-3 removes just a bit of responsibility from the lineman and lets them make plays as opposed to having to hold the line or gaps as 3-4 ends. (Many people disagree with this line of thinking which is fine.)
    What would you do with harris? He would be the slowest 4-3 MLB in the league.

Coples has been pretty good the last 4-5 games. Also is the only guy that you could argue would look better in a 4-3. I am a 4-3 guy but this team would need to be a complete rebuild to go 4-3. The 3-4 has worked and the old saying it if it aint broke dont fix it. We need someone that can cover a speedy running back at OLB. Barnes and Coples have proven they can create the pressure we havent had in a while. Add a FA S and some late round MLB depth and the D is fine. Not hard at all to finish that group. The O is much harder.

The strange part of this is that is seems like MoWilk and Snacks are much better suited for a 3-4, but Coples and Sheldon are better suited for a 4-3.

Quote Originally Posted by kennyo7 View Post
    Coples would be fine as a 4-3 LDE, Wilkenson would be great on the RT and Harrison over the nose and Richardson as the 3 tech. The team will be moving on from Harris in a year or two anyway. Davis as the MLB and I can even see him as the Mayo type OLB. A vet FA like Daryl Smith or Wesley Woodyard as the other OLB would be fine.

Why do we have to put a label on it? Put the player in a position to make them successful on a given down.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
    This is what concerns me about Rex leaving and gettin an offensive mind in.

What will happen to our investments of 1sr round picks in Mo, Coples and Shel, what will happen to their development? Especially players like Snacks?
    There is talent there. A good DC will know what to do with it.

Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    What would you do with harris? He would be the slowest 4-3 MLB in the league.
    Harris would have to be traded. He would have no fit.

Quote Originally Posted by petejet View Post
    There is talent there. A good DC will know what to do with it.
    I take solace that the Ravens moved on from Rex and still field an aggressive good Defense.

I still would like one last roll of the dice with Rex, just because there are no excuses with the resources available this offseason.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianNY View Post
    Why do we have to put a label on it? Put the player in a position to make them successful on a given down.
    True, I tend to think people make too much of what scheme a defense plays. With so many sub packages and different looks, you have to be able to be flexible. Wilkerson, Richardson, Coples, can all play in either system.