Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The continuity myth.

Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Well history shows us that if you do not find your QB early in your tenure the chances of winning the Super Bowl are almost non-existent. As you can see only once in the past 37 years has a coach taken longer than 5 years to win a Super Bowl with that team.
    Wow... it's like the chicken and egg thing.....

Hall Of Fame
    I do think continuity is a good thing. But continuity just for the sake of continuity is not. Only HCs that have not won a SB tenured as long as Ryan:

Marvin Lewis
    Gary Kubiak (fired)
    Mike Smith
    Jim Schwartz

Most are on the hot seat and there is a chance that after this year only a couple of them remain.

Well history shows us that if you do not find your QB early in your tenure the chances of winning the Super Bowl are almost non-existent. As you can see only once in the past 37 years has a coach taken longer than 5 years to win a Super Bowl with that team.
    It would be interesting to cross reference the list of coaches with whether their "franchise" QB was already on the roster, or if they found them during their tenure. I.e. how much talent did each HC inherit, which should impact their chances of winning quickly.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Brooklyn Jet View Post
    It would be interesting to cross reference the list of coaches with whether their "franchise" QB was already on the roster, or if they found them during their tenure. I.e. how much talent did each HC inherit, which should impact their chances of winning quickly.
    Its pretty mixed if you go back and look. Some drafted or brought in their QBs and some went to under performing teams that already had a franchise quality QB.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Brooklyn Jet View Post
    From the OP list I think Tomlin and Gruden are the only ones that inherited their team and won. And Gruden is a unique case b.c he left a pretty good team behind in Oakland. The rest built their teams and built them pretty quickly except for Cowher.
    Last edited by DDNYjets; 12-17-2013 at 10:18 AM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by SONNY WERBLIN View Post
    Boy, most of those teams had some pretty good QB's in their prime. Perhaps that had more to do with the SB wins than the HC's service time?
    Look at George Seifert it only took him 1 year to win a bowl after Walsh left him 2 HOF QB's Montana and Young..Not to mention Jerry Rice and top 3 defense..

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    From the OP list I think Tomlin and Gruden are the only ones that inherited their team and won. And Gruden is a unique case b.c he left a pretty good team behind in Oakland. The rest built their teams and built them pretty quickly except for Cowher.
    Built...? Harbaugh inherited a good team with Flacco being drafted that season. McCarthy inherited Rogers. Sean Payton signed Drew Brees. Tomlin inherited Ben. Coughlin drafted/traded for his Manning. Dungy inherited Manning. Cowher couldn't win until his Front Office finally drafted a franchise QB. Bellichick stumbled upon Brady. Vermeil found an NFL MVP QB as a result of an injury.

Every single Coach on the list won a SB because of his QB with the exceptions of Billick and Gruden who won because of defenses and mistake free play by their QB. IMO, the list proves that QB is more important than HC.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Built...? Harbaugh inherited a good team with Flacco being drafted that season. McCarthy inherited Rogers. Sean Payton signed Drew Brees. Tomlin inherited Ben. Coughlin drafted/traded for his Manning. Dungy inherited Manning. Cowher couldn't win until his Front Office finally drafted a franchise QB. Bellichick stumbled upon Brady. Vermeil found an NFL MVP QB as a result of an injury.

Every single Coach on the list won a SB because of his QB with the exceptions of Billick and Gruden who won because of defenses and mistake free play by their QB. IMO, the list proves that QB is more important than HC.
    In Grudens case he played a team in the bowl that he coached the year before and HC Callahan didn't change much so Tampa pretty much knew what the Raiders would run and were ready..

Hall Of Fame
    Built...?Harbaugh inherited a good team with Flacco being drafted that season. McCarthy inherited Rogers. Sean Payton signed Drew Brees. Tomlin inherited Ben. Coughlin drafted/traded for his Manning. Dungy inherited Manning. Cowher couldn't win until his Front Office finally drafted a franchise QB. Bellichick stumbled upon Brady. Vermeil found an NFL MVP QB as a result of an injury.

The QB is more important the the HC. I will never argue against that. But most of those guys played a role in picking or developing their QB.

Harbaugh drafted Flacco. Flacco carried them to the SB. Plain and simple.
    McCarthy did not draft Rodgers but Rodgers did not start until McCarthy was the HC and did have 2 years of development under McCarthy before he become the starter.
    Payton saw something he liked in Brees and took a chance and built an offense around him. Payton chose Brees. He gets credit for that.
    Coughlin drafted Manning. Plain and simple.
    Dungy and Manning were both stigmatized as choke artists and got over the hump together. Chicken or the egg. Maybe we can throw Dungy into the "lucky" category.
    That Rams team was going to be a pretty good team that year regardless. Vermeil had been to a SB before so I think he deserves credit.

I agree about Cowher, Belichick and Tomlin.

Hall Of Fame

QB is definitely more important than coach. It just shows that if you do not have one or get one quickly, the chances of winning the Super Bowl are slim.

Hall Of Fame
    QB is definitely more important than coach. It just shows that if you do not have one or get one quickly, the chances of winning the Super Bowl are slim.
    Exactly. And it goes to show you that although the QB is more important you still need a HC to help choose the QB and develop him.

We are not a QB-centric team and our HC is not going to provide an environment for a young QB to flourish.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    The QB is more important the the HC. I will never argue against that. But most of those guys played a role in picking or developing their QB.

Harbaugh drafted Flacco. Flacco carried them to the SB. Plain and simple.
    McCarthy did not draft Rodgers but Rodgers did not start until McCarthy was the HC and did have 2 years of development under McCarthy before he become the starter.
    Payton saw something he liked in Brees and took a chance and built an offense around him. Payton chose Brees. He gets credit for that.
    Coughlin drafted Manning. Plain and simple.
    Dungy and Manning were both stigmatized as choke artists and got over the hump together. Chicken or the egg. Maybe we can throw Dungy into the "lucky" category.
    That Rams team was going to be a pretty good team that year regardless. Vermeil had been to a SB before so I think he deserves credit.

I agree about Cowher, Belichick and Tomlin.
    Maybe it was the Pro Bowl that Bree's made with the Chargers in 04 with 27 tds just 7 picks and completing 65% of his passes with a 104 QBR?? As far as Coughlin drafting Manning LOL
    He had a QB named Kurt Warner on the team that I guess he saw no talent in..
    Last edited by Savage69; 12-17-2013 at 10:44 AM.