Thread: The new NFL?

The new NFL?

Ok this is just a thought. It's not an opinion or fact. I'm just trying to start a discussion.

Watching what the Seahawks, Patriots and other teams are doing. These teams plug and play players into their system. They don't over pay for about 75% of their team. It's seems the the nfl is starting to look like college football. Running college types of o.

These guys all have top qbs, Carroll never had true success until Seattle. The pats do it year in and out. Teams like Alabama dominate, but their players are not the most successful players in the nfl. So with that in mind, would bringing in a top college coach be a better fit? There are fewer and fewer college teams using the pro style o. The players can transition quicker into a system geared toward this type of system.

College football > the NFL.

Hall Of Fame
    Seattle is not going to be able to keep that team together once they pay the QB after next season.

Sustained success comes from refilling valuable losses each year. In today's NFL, you can get a really stacked roster for a couple of years by mortgaging the future but if you don't win it all, you're going to pay for it in spades down the road because of the cap. Seattle needs to go through a couple more years when the rookie contracts expire and see who they can keep and who they have to let go. The replacements will determine whether Seattle was a product of a good system or one that "got lucky".

QB was always vital. The treatment of the QB and WR by the NFL and the new "safety rules," have effectively eliminated any real possibility for a defense-first team to win a title.

The league is getting boring because you effectively have teams that have a good o-line, a great QB, and a stud WR/TE and then everybody else.

Tom Brady has made a career out of short slants over the middle that would get guys killed 10-15 years ago. It's a joke.

I have never been less interested in an NFL season. My interest has waned for the past 2 years now. I watched 1 game on Thanksgiving. I know before the season who will succeed. I know that somebody like the Chiefs is an aberration and will lose in the playoffs, likely early. It's all very formulaic today.

Goodell needs fired asap and so many of these "safety rules," need removed. Guys are going to get hurt no matter what. Impose a weight limit and be done with it if you are that concerned.

The rest of it is a joke. The game has been slaughtered. I'd pay my season tickets price to see Dick Butkus spear Goodell ONCE.

Quote Originally Posted by PMarsico9 View Post
    QB was always vital. The treatment of the QB and WR by the NFL and the new "safety rules," have effectively eliminated any real possibility for a defense-first team to win a title.

The league is getting boring because you effectively have teams that have a good o-line, a great QB, and a stud WR/TE and then everybody else.

Tom Brady has made a career out of short slants over the middle that would get guys killed 10-15 years ago. It's a joke.

I have never been less interested in an NFL season. My interest has waned for the past 2 years now. I watched 1 game on Thanksgiving. I know before the season who will succeed. I know that somebody like the Chiefs is an aberration and will lose in the playoffs, likely early. It's all very formulaic today.

Goodell needs fired asap and so many of these "safety rules," need removed. Guys are going to get hurt no matter what. Impose a weight limit and be done with it if you are that concerned.

The rest of it is a joke. The game has been slaughtered. I'd pay my season tickets price to see Dick Butkus spear Goodell ONCE.
    I agree 100%. IMO these new rules are mostly about money. If Goodell was really concerned with player safety, why would they change the rules to allow more passing? That's where most of the heavy hits come from. Combine that with new rules that prevent hard hitting and you open up the passing game.

More points, more money.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheMagicRat View Post
    I agree 100%. IMO these new rules are mostly about money. If Goodell was really concerned with player safety, why would they change the rules to allow more passing? That's where most of the heavy hits come from. Combine that with new rules that prevent hard hitting and you open up the passing game.

More points, more money.
    They also don't want another lawsuit like the concussion one that cost the league hundreds of millions of dollars.

You need to find a QB -

It's not about the system, it's not about plugging in players, it's not about the new rules (although the new rules make this situation even more skewed) it's not about the o-line or receiveres. It's about the QB.

If you have one you win, if you don't you'll struggle.

Quote Originally Posted by petejet View Post
    They also don't want another lawsuit like the concussion one that cost the league hundreds of millions of dollars.
    This is all the new rules are about. When more and more lawsuits continue to come in they need to be able to say they didn't everything they could to protect the players and specifically their heads.

The rules aren't about creating more offense, they're about lawsuits.

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Seattle is not going to be able to keep that team together once they pay the QB after next season.
    Yep, they repeatedly struck gold in the draft. 8 out of 11 starters on D were 3rd round or later. They won't be able to keep them all so it will be interesting to see who they keep and who goes, how they replace them, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by srobjets View Post
    Ok this is just a thought. It's not an opinion or fact. I'm just trying to start a discussion.

Watching what the Seahawks, Patriots and other teams are doing. These teams plug and play players into their system. They don't over pay for about 75% of their team. It's seems the the nfl is starting to look like college football. Running college types of o.

These guys all have top qbs, Carroll never had true success until Seattle. The pats do it year in and out. Teams like Alabama dominate, but their players are not the most successful players in the nfl. So with that in mind, would bringing in a top college coach be a better fit? There are fewer and fewer college teams using the pro style o. The players can transition quicker into a system geared toward this type of system.
    Cam Newton was the first of the QBs to get a small initial contract due to the implementation of the rookie limits. His contract is up soon and so will be Wilson's, Kaep's and othjer young QBs making their name. THese teams have been able to succeed while paying their stud QBs very little. Once their initial contracts are done (i.e. Newton's), let's see how well these teams can fill other positions. Brady actually reduced his demands in NE and they still can't field an elite team.