Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jets very mediocre defense 12th overall 25th against the pass.

This team needs a new voice. I really like Rex and wanted to see him win a SB with us, but its not going to happen. Under Rex we succeed when nobody thinks we will and when we have some success Rex and his players start running their mouth and we lose to the teams we should beat. That has been the common theme for all five years of Rex. Time to completely clean house!!

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Actually not bad with no help from the other 2 phases, and I mean none.

Quote Originally Posted by Gastineau99 View Post
    Rex hasn't learned that he doesn't need to blitz on every passing down. Mixing in some 3-4 man rushes and playing coverage will help keep the QBs guessing and will also make the blitz more effective when he does send extra pressure. I think that is his biggest problem.

We also need a couple playmakers in the secondary.
    This would be interesting if it were true. He's actually adjusted quite a bit, not nearly as many blitzes and much softer coverage.

we have a solid defense but when the offense cant sustain a drive and the defense is constantly on the field, you will expect them to lack on paper statistically

here is a good "football statistics" site that looks beyond just rankings etc...
    http://www.footballoutsiders.com/sta...vestatsdef2013

take a look at their defensive "drive success" and more importantly look at the bottom half, our defense is ALWAYS playing from behind
    they are the only thing keeping us in games

Hey OP... how about you check out the time of possession between the Jets and Opponents? WE ARE LUCKY TO HAVE A MEDIOCRE DEFENSE STAT WISE! If we actually had an offense that can control the ball and not go 3 and out every possession we easily have a top 5 overall defense. Plain and simple... some college programs have a better offense than we do.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    What? Intelligent football discussion and IQ? Not on this board. Just knee jerk reactions and needing somebody or something to blame or fire.
    You're right here. This board has become a game of "Find the Scapegoat"

This is a rebuilding year - we all knew it - and the players, coaches and management have all performed well under the circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by TheOne View Post
    we have a solid defense but when the offense cant sustain a drive and the defense is constantly on the field, you will expect them to lack on paper statistically

here is a good "football statistics" site that looks beyond just rankings etc...
    http://www.footballoutsiders.com/sta...vestatsdef2013

take a look at their defensive "drive success" and more importantly look at the bottom half, our defense is ALWAYS playing from behind
    they are the only thing keeping us in games
    Well you nicely stole the words out of my mouth...

Everyone do yourselves a favor and take a look at the offensive stats on the link he provided... You will want to throw up.
    Last edited by The Green Dude; 12-17-2013 at 09:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by fidelioion View Post
    This would be interesting if it were true. He's actually adjusted quite a bit, not nearly as many blitzes and much softer coverage.
    People are too busy complaining to realize this. Rex actually tried changing things a lot on defense, especially coverages to not get beat deep. But fact is, talent we have there is just not that good. And that includes Cromartie.

Anyone notice how things started changing in the game once the offense went down for a long drive and scored? That thing called momentum?? Sort of lifts the defense, whole team for that matter. Too bad Special Teams dropped the ball and gave up the game. It's a nice thing to see, unfortunately it rarely happens with this pathetic offense.

so who can go find the stat that ranks our d according to points allowed? thats the bottom line

take that number and consider that our horrid O put them on the field all the time and make a slight tweak and we will know the real D we have. Add a safety and a good CB in the offseason and it gets tweeked even more

Good thing we're in a pass happy league. Im glad we drafted only DL the last couple of year and gave away all our best DBs.
    At least we have a good run D :/

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by dickkotite View Post
    so who can go find the stat that ranks our d according to points allowed? thats the bottom line

take that number and consider that our horrid O put them on the field all the time and make a slight tweak and we will know the real D we have. Add a safety and a good CB in the offseason and it gets tweeked even more
    Rex's D has been bend but don't break lately. Miami and Carolina both had long, drawn out drives in the first half vs. Rex's D. Before the fatigue argument could be used. However, the only real thing I am disappointed in with our D this year is the total lack of turnovers created. While it is true that our offense does not help out the D, it doesn't seem like the D helps out the O lately with some short field type situations. That goes for the return game as well.

I'm a broken record, but it comes down to the same thing. Tons of dead cap space, Santonio and Sanchez taking up 30 million in cap. 30% of the team's resources cap wise goes to players who either are not on the team, or produce nothing, and no one can seriously win like that.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by dickkotite View Post

I would like to see a stat where defense is rated in points allowed per drive, that would be telling to me. If a team is like Philadelphia, where their defense will be out there for 6 drives a game, of course their numbers will be worse. When the Jets were #1 in D, it was helped by the fact that we were #1 in rushing, so the other team did not get as many chances per game to do something.

Quote Originally Posted by chirorob View Post
    Rex's D has been bend but don't break lately. Miami and Carolina both had long, drawn out drives in the first half vs. Rex's D. Before the fatigue argument could be used. However, the only real thing I am disappointed in with our D this year is the total lack of turnovers created. While it is true that our offense does not help out the D, it doesn't seem like the D helps out the O lately with some short field type situations. That goes for the return game as well.

I'm a broken record, but it comes down to the same thing. Tons of dead cap space, Santonio and Sanchez taking up 30 million in cap. 30% of the team's resources cap wise goes to players who either are not on the team, or produce nothing, and no one can seriously win like that.
    This is all correct. Rex clearly adjusted to a bend don't break style and it's worked pretty well. A lot of long drives ending in FG's.

And no you can't win with that cap. You can add a very ineffective Cromartie taking up another 10mm - that's about 40mm in cap (about 35% of the entire cap) on injured or ineffective players. Add in a rookie QB and you a have a disaster.

Quote Originally Posted by fidelioion View Post
    He still blitzes too much, but I remember at the end of the Pats game, the last 8 offensive plays for Brady, they held him to 1 completion and sent 3 or 4 rushers every play. I think he did the same thing vs. Brees at the end of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Gastineau99 View Post
    He still blitzes too much, but I remember at the end of the Pats game, the last 8 offensive plays for Brady, they held him to 1 completion and sent 3 or 4 rushers every play. I think he did the same thing vs. Brees at the end of the game.
    True .. But do you remember the years under Mangini or Herm where there's as ZERO blitzing ???