Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 75

Thread: Jets officially eliminated from playoffs

  1. #41
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitman Harris View Post
    GUESS WHAT!

    ONE win and you're wrong!
    I'm sure Idzik has made his decision. In fact, I would bet that decision was made weeks ago. What is Rex going to show over the next two weeks to determine if he's worthy or not of coming back?

    As fans we play the "how many wins does he need" game but I honestly hope that's not how Idzik is doing it. He's spent a full season around Rex now - he should be making his decision on much more than wins and losses during a rebuilding year.

  2. #42
    We were eliminated from the playoffs last January when Woody didn't fire the self anointed "defensive genius."

  3. #43
    Quote Originally Posted by section314 View Post
    We were eliminated from the playoffs last January when Woody didn't fire the self anointed "defensive genius."
    Are you saying if Rex were fired we would have gone to the playoffs?

  4. #44
    Quote Originally Posted by jetster View Post
    Do you honestly believe that we beat those teams if Sproles didn't get hurt or if Amendola & Vareen played against us.
    Sometimes in the NFL it's when you get them.
    On the big picture it means nothing as we are playing worse in the 2nd half of the season than the 1st.
    Absolutely no progression.
    The Jets were missing Geno Smiths most trusted receiver for the game against NE the first time around, plus Coples on defense. Sproles literally played one snap in the game before (not injured). Sproles had 50 yards or less in half the games he played this season. Why, against the Jets, does he become "the only reason the Jets won". The Jets also lost Kerley in the 2nd quarter of the game against the Saints (Along with Holmes being already out), and for some reason, only the Jets benefit from injuries.

    The offense has actually been better the last 2 weeks (having Kerley back makes a huge difference for Geno Smtih), but overall I'd agree that the team has looked worse overall. However, you write these things as though the Jets were totally injury free all season, when in fact, I think they may have had 1 game all season when they had their top 3 WRs play the whole way. Again, I'm not saying that the team seems to have taken a step back, but if you are playing the "luck" game, then the Jets with a healthy Kerley almost certainly beat NE in week 2.

  5. #45
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Istanbul
    Posts
    2,087
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    I laugh at the idea that you vie for the team to lose to get a better position in the draft. Like a few spots will suddenly turn this team into a contender.

    The team hasn't learned consistency, execution, discipline, and how win, and we think that one player is going to change that?

    The Jets have so many issues. Hoping they lose is a strange concept to me on many levels, and if they do - that will only cause more issues down the stretch. The team collapsing at the end of the season is what so many people whine about (last two years), and now people want another collapse? Let them learn to play strong at the end, as that will help in the future. This lose on purpose mentality is just that, for losers.
    +1

    It comes from playing too much madden and confusing it with real life

  6. #46
    Quote Originally Posted by section314 View Post
    We were eliminated from the playoffs last January when Woody didn't fire the self anointed "defensive genius."
    Pretty sure the Jets were eliminated when you looked at the total lack of offensive talent. The Jets have no one who can catch the ball out of the backfield (Ivory is turning into a pretty good signing/trade, but he has the same problem that Alfred Morris has, he doesn't catch the ball), their best WR wouldn't even be a starting slot receiver on most teams. Their most talented WR couldn't stay healthy and didn't look to be on the same page as the QB all season. Their top TE washed out of the league 2 years ago, only to play well in week 1 before getting suspended and injured.

    Their backup TE got hurt for much of the season. Their Left Guard situation was incomprehensibly bad (13 sacks, 13 penalties between Winters and Ducasse), their Right guard committed 11 penalties of his own, and they had a rookie QB that wasn't ready to start.

    Again, I think that Rex should be fired. I've said it numerous times on the board, even if it's Tannenbaum that brought the players in, the fact that the Jets have not developed a single offensive weapon in 5 seasons under Rex (Kerley is the closest thing) is simply an unacceptable situation. But the idea that the Jets would have made a run with a better coach is somewhere between delusional and optimistic.

  7. #47
    Quote Originally Posted by fidelioion View Post
    Are you saying if Rex were fired we would have gone to the playoffs?
    Maybe, maybe not. But the fact that it didn't happen removed any doubt. The guy is simply not a good HC.

  8. #48
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    I laugh at the idea that you vie for the team to lose to get a better position in the draft. Like a few spots will suddenly turn this team into a contender.

    The team hasn't learned consistency, execution, discipline, and how win, and we think that one player is going to change that?

    The Jets have so many issues. Hoping they lose is a strange concept to me on many levels, and if they do - that will only cause more issues down the stretch. The team collapsing at the end of the season is what so many people whine about (last two years), and now people want another collapse? Let them learn to play strong at the end, as that will help in the future. This lose on purpose mentality is just that, for losers.
    Once eliminated from the postseason, the ONLY priority should be to get better for the next season.

    Now, people will see whats "better" differently.

    Some see picking 8th instead fo 16th to be better.

    Some see winning two late-season meaningless "garbage time" games to be better.

    Some see benchign underperforming players and starting kids/rookies/backups to give them a shot to be better.

    Point being, the wins/losses, at this point, are irrlevant.

    Getting better for 2014 is all that matters (or should matter), to the Franchise, and to us Fans.

    Personally, I take the following belief system:

    1. I don't actively root for losses.....but I don't mind them either. Higher draft pick IS a material "betterment".
    2. I support benching underperforming players, and replacing them with rookies/backups, giving them their "shot". specificly, I'd bench Geno Smith and Holmes.

    Other may think "letting Geno loose" (lol) and having him throw the ball around 50 times to get "experience" is whats best. I strongly disagree, but I appreciate they too want what they think is best.

    But just being "for wins" without having a reason why those wins will better the team in 2014 and beyond.....

  9. #49
    Quote Originally Posted by billygreen View Post
    A 6-10 finish would put the Jets in a position to draft one of the top QB's in the draft. There is nothing to be gained from winning the last 2 games. You always do what's good for your team, even if what's best is losing.
    You could be banned from this site for being objective and stating the truth, because it goes against what the lords and masters of JI say. I agree with you 150% by the way, lose, lose, lose. Besides, that is the 1 thing this team does well anyway, it should come naturally the next 2 weeks.

  10. #50
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    Once eliminated from the postseason, the ONLY priority should be to get better for the next season.

    Now, people will see whats "better" differently.

    Some see picking 8th instead fo 16th to be better.

    Some see winning two late-season meaningless "garbage time" games to be better.

    Some see benchign underperforming players and starting kids/rookies/backups to give them a shot to be better.

    Point being, the wins/losses, at this point, are irrlevant.

    Getting better for 2014 is all that matters (or should matter), to the Franchise, and to us Fans.

    Personally, I take the following belief system:

    1. I don't actively root for losses.....but I don't mind them either. Higher draft pick IS a material "betterment".
    2. I support benching underperforming players, and replacing them with rookies/backups, giving them their "shot". specificly, I'd bench Geno Smith and Holmes.

    Other may think "letting Geno loose" (lol) and having him throw the ball around 50 times to get "experience" is whats best. I strongly disagree, but I appreciate they too want what they think is best.

    But just being "for wins" without having a reason why those wins will better the team in 2014 and beyond.....
    Betterment also can be teaching people how to win, instead of just giving up when you don't get your way. When was the last time the team finished a season without incident? Another year of just throwing away the last 2 games.

    Higher draft choice doesn't mean "betterment" alone. People can't see past Madden football.

  11. #51
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    Betterment also can be teaching people how to win, instead of just giving up when you don't get your way. When was the last time the team finished a season without incident? Another year of just throwing away the last 2 games.

    Higher draft choice doesn't mean "betterment" alone. People can't see past Madden football.
    This is absolutely correct. Play to win, be a fan.

    Plus, I would add, better draft position hasn't meant better players. In fact the Jets have more hits with picks not in the top 10 than they have with picks in the top 10.

  12. #52
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    light-years ahead
    Posts
    2,435
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsCrazey View Post
    With the Ravens winning in Detriot, any mathematical last hope is over. The last 2 games are all about next season. Rex's fate.....which players deserve to return....and what draft positioning we get.
    2014 is here!
    ... and what injury Holmes is planning to close out 2013.

  13. #53
    Quote Originally Posted by fidelioion View Post
    This is absolutely correct. Play to win, be a fan.

    Plus, I would add, better draft position hasn't meant better players. In fact the Jets have more hits with picks not in the top 10 than they have with picks in the top 10.
    People prefer to be players, coaches, general managers, owners, referees, cheerleaders, ball boys, gatorade instead of fans. It's our culture. Everyone knows better. Until they don't.

  14. #54
    The players love Rex. Thats normally a red flag when the players love the coach. After five years you can see that there is still little discipline, little talent, no consistency, and little player development.

    You can argue all you want for Rex, the facts speak for themselves. 12-33 record, no back to back wins since 11', 3rd OC, 2nd rookie qb, 2nd GM. Zero talent on offense and a defense that is lacking. I've said many times that I like Rex and really wanted this to work. I hate switching coaches every 5 years, but this is NOT working anymore.

  15. #55
    Quote Originally Posted by NYJ37/12 View Post
    The players love Rex. Thats normally a red flag when the players love the coach. After five years you can see that there is still little discipline, little talent, no consistency, and little player development.

    You can argue all you want for Rex, the facts speak for themselves. 12-33 record, no back to back wins since 11', 3rd OC, 2nd rookie qb, 2nd GM. Zero talent on offense and a defense that is lacking. I've said many times that I like Rex and really wanted this to work. I hate switching coaches every 5 years, but this is NOT working anymore.
    I wouldn't mind a new coach - depending on who it is, but I am against losing the last two games on purpose just for draft choices.

  16. #56
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    new jersey
    Posts
    1,570
    Time to cut ties with Rex, the Jets need a new identity, right now we are a 1 dimension team Defense and at best that is an above average D. We need an offensive minded coach for balance. My guess is as good as yours where we find a new coach that has an eye for OFFENSE.

  17. #57
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Mendham, NJ
    Posts
    13,510
    Quote Originally Posted by fidelioion View Post
    I'm sure Idzik has made his decision. In fact, I would bet that decision was made weeks ago. What is Rex going to show over the next two weeks to determine if he's worthy or not of coming back?

    As fans we play the "how many wins does he need" game but I honestly hope that's not how Idzik is doing it. He's spent a full season around Rex now - he should be making his decision on much more than wins and losses during a rebuilding year.
    Correct, there was never a minimum win criteria when it came to evaluating Rex. Rex had a year long job interview with Idzik, so like you said the outcomes of the last couple games are not going to sway him one way or another at this point.

  18. #58
    Quote Originally Posted by fidelioion View Post
    I'm sure Idzik has made his decision. In fact, I would bet that decision was made weeks ago. What is Rex going to show over the next two weeks to determine if he's worthy or not of coming back?

    As fans we play the "how many wins does he need" game but I honestly hope that's not how Idzik is doing it. He's spent a full season around Rex now - he should be making his decision on much more than wins and losses during a rebuilding year.
    If Izdik did make his decision weeks ago it would only be to keep Rex. He couldn't decide to fire Rex when jets were still right in middle of playoff mix..

  19. #59
    Quote Originally Posted by NYJ37/12 View Post
    The players love Rex. Thats normally a red flag when the players love the coach. After five years you can see that there is still little discipline, little talent, no consistency, and little player development.

    You can argue all you want for Rex, the facts speak for themselves. 12-33 record, no back to back wins since 11', 3rd OC, 2nd rookie qb, 2nd GM. Zero talent on offense and a defense that is lacking. I've said many times that I like Rex and really wanted this to work. I hate switching coaches every 5 years, but this is NOT working anymore.
    12-33 record? That's not a fact, that's not even true. The Jets are 20-26 in their last 3 seasons, 12-23 in their last 35 games, which I can only assume is what you mean. Switching coaches after not making the playoffs 3 consecutive seasons is pretty standard, and has been for a long time.

  20. #60
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    Betterment also can be teaching people how to win, instead of just giving up when you don't get your way. When was the last time the team finished a season without incident? Another year of just throwing away the last 2 games.

    Higher draft choice doesn't mean "betterment" alone. People can't see past Madden football.
    I think you have to seperate a Fan's desire to get a better draft pick via losses, and the PLAYERS and their motivation. Fans root for outcomes, players/coaches/front office should always try to win, but should also play the players (now) that make the most sense for long term success, not short term chuckles.

    I don't think anyone wants the players or Coaches to phone it in. But if they DO phone it in, thats an excellent evaluation criteria for if they'll be retained for next year. Players like that should be cut loose.

    What the "better pick" side wants is both, players playing hard and developmental players getting valuble playing time, resulting in losses than improve our draft position whilst having given the young players experience, or a "shot".

    I do think some (like me) want to see long-term strategic player-playing time decisions made, but thats not "throwing in the towel", thats making franchise decisions for the betterment of the franchise long-term, to the goal of winning a title, a goal that is now impossible to reach in 2013.

    "Learning to win" is, IMO, a non-athletes-view fantasy. No one had to be taugth "how to win". We won 6 games already to this point, incuding vs. the Pats and Saints, did that not "teach" these players to win? Will winning vs. the lolBrowns make a material difference to players "learning how to win"? I think not.

    You say I can't see past Madden (despite not having played or owned a Madden game sine the late 90's), but I would counter that some fans can't seem to see past their own selfish short term PERSONAL enjoyment of a win, probably whilst downing quantities of their favorite beer, as opposed to whats best for reaching the long-term goal of winning a Super Bowl.

    And you're incorrect, a higher draft pick IS absolutely better than a lower pick. It had higher trade value, and has a better chance to allow aquisition of a higher-rated prospect. Certainly it's HOW it's used that will determine it's final value, butin and of itself, there is no real debate that the 8th pick is "better" than the 13th or 16th pick.
    Last edited by Warfish; 12-17-2013 at 10:31 AM.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us