Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Driving Records

Driving Records

Just curious--My job offer got withdrawn because of my driving record. Last year I got four very minor infractions and my license got suspended for 5 days because I sent my payment on one ticket to the wrong place. Im in sales and this is the third job offer that got rescinded. Is there anything I can do? Also for my current job I drive 50000 miles a year so not getting pulled over is tough--especially in Maryland.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

That's really strange. Is the job you applied for a traveling sales position? If so, I guess they want to make sure their salesman can stay on the road.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by JetFanMD View Post
    Just curious--My job offer got withdrawn because of my driving record. Last year I got four very minor infractions and my license got suspended for 5 days because I sent my payment on one ticket to the wrong place. Im in sales and this is the third job offer that got rescinded. Is there anything I can do? Also for my current job I drive 50000 miles a year so not getting pulled over is tough--especially in Maryland.
    Your not a Pizza delivery guy are you? If so head on in to SI Ill hire you, my vans have no insurance anyhow it's every man for himself.
    Last edited by thebigragu; 12-17-2013 at 01:29 AM.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonhomme Richard View Post
    That's really strange. Is the job you applied for a traveling sales position? If so, I guess they want to make sure their salesman can stay on the road.
    Yeah but why would they give a **** if he's using his own car to put 50000 miles on. I know a guy that sells shoes like that, (designer wholesale) is that what you do OP?

I guess its one of those things I never took seriously. Every outside sales job screens your driving record. This past job didnt even offer a company car, and still wouldnt hire me. I guess its a liability thing--If I hit someone them they could be sued. Its kind of a messed up system--The state issues more tickets they get more revenue, and they help out insurance companies by allowing them to raise rates. Could this be why unemployment is so high and the economy stinks? Insurance makes it nearly impossible for companies to hire people with prior records.

All Pro
    I guess its one of those things I never took seriously. Every outside sales job screens your driving record. This past job didnt even offer a company car, and still wouldnt hire me. I guess its a liability thing--If I hit someone them they could be sued. Its kind of a messed up system--The state issues more tickets they get more revenue, and they help out insurance companies by allowing them to raise rates. Could this be why unemployment is so high and the economy stinks? Insurance makes it nearly impossible for companies to hire people with prior records.
    That was a huge problem for me when I owned a bunch of service master vans finding a good driver was a quest. I had to hire fat slobs who couldn't lift their fatasses in the van but drove A OK it sucked i did most the work myself

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by thebigragu View Post
    That was a huge problem for me when I owned a bunch of service master vans finding a good driver was a quest. I had to hire fat slobs who couldn't lift their fatasses in the van but drove A OK it sucked i did most the work myself
    Is THAT why those fvckers get all of the driving jobs?!

All League
    Don't break the law, get no tickets.

Get no tickets, have a job.

Have a job, overpay for Billy Joel tickets.

Quite simple,,really.

You got it right, just because you are using your own car does not mean you are not still working for them. Some of the bigger traveling sales positions work it so each sales rep is an independent. I owned a Kirby distributorship and my guys where all independents.

Driving school, driving school removes points, look into that, you can do right on line in most cases. I am unsure it will help but you may want to look into.

Hall Of Fame
    Never knew there were so many elderly Asian women in sales.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Big L View Post
    Don't break the law, get no tickets.

Get no tickets, have a job.

Have a job, overpay for Billy Joel tickets.

Quite simple,,really.
    8 posts in.

-

JetsInsider.com Legend

Was this one of the infractions?

Quote Originally Posted by Fishooked View Post
    Was this one of the infractions?

Got sales to make *****es, out my way

Not getting pulled over is very easy. I do 40K across the NYS thruway yearly, and haven't been pulled over once.

Step One: Have a car with cruise control
    Step Two: Engage cruise control

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by leftturn3 View Post
    You got it right, just because you are using your own car does not mean you are not still working for them. Some of the bigger traveling sales positions work it so each sales rep is an independent. I owned a Kirby distributorship and my guys where all independents.

Driving school, driving school removes points, look into that, you can do right on line in most cases. I am unsure it will help but you may want to look into.
    I just took defensive driving and I think it takes 2 points off your license. But if I am not mistaken, the driving record is not changed so infractions would still appear.

Quote Originally Posted by crossfire View Post
    I just took defensive driving and I think it takes 2 points off your license. But if I am not mistaken, the driving record is not changed so infractions would still appear.
    The problem is it just takes too long for this stuff to go away. I think after a year with no violations you should be eligible to take a class to clear your driving of record of non-criminal offenses. As the previous poster alluded to--its pretty much a focus thing. The other issue I have is that the law is set up to reward people who fight tickets and admonish those who paid the fine.

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Those Maryland bears are tough.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by OrangeJet View Post
    Not getting pulled over is very easy. I do 40K across the NYS thruway yearly, and haven't been pulled over once.

Step One: Have a car with cruise control
    Step Two: Engage cruise control
    I put the cruise on 5 mph above the posted speed and check my speed via auto GPS; the analog Speed needle is usually off by a could mph. I also get my cars inspected on the first day they are due and get washed once a month. I listen to audiobooks on long trips and never ever rush.

I haven't had a ticket in over 15 years with avg 30K per year driving.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post
    8 posts in.

-
    You're welcome.

The problem is it just takes too long for this stuff to go away. I think after a year with no violations you should be eligible to take a class to clear your driving of record of non-criminal offenses. As the previous poster alluded to--its pretty much a focus thing. The other issue I have is that the law is set up to reward people who fight tickets and admonish those who paid the fine.
    Besides rule 1, don't break the law, Rule 2 is always send it back NOT GUILTY.

Veteran
    So what were these "four very minor infractions" you had last year?

Speeding tickets? Running red lights? Or did you have a bunch of fender bender accidents? Maybe the type of tickets you're getting is a problem with employers.