Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pats could still miss the playoffs

Pats could still miss the playoffs

Something to root for the next 2 weeks? It isn't that impossible, although it would require one very big upset (albeit in a divisional matchup).

If Pats lose next 2 games (@Bal, Buf) and Miami wins out, the Dolphins win the division. The Pats would then lose out in the second wildcard position if they end up tied with the Bengals. That also means Baltimore has to win out to knock the Bengals into wildcard contention. Baltimore winning out and taking the division isn't crazy. The Pats losing at home to the Bills in week 17 seems like a stretch, but it is a division game. We could actually give a huge assist in this scenario as well as us losing to Miami would be the nail in the Pats coffin.

I know it would never line up this way, but would you mind the team tanking week 17 to ensure the Pats missing the playoffs? Revenge against Belicheck for screwing us years ago....

Not so far-fetched at all, particularly since the Ravens are so hot and the Patriots are so banged up. And if the Pats suffer one more key injury (Chandler Jones? Mankins? Edelman? Vereen?), a loss to the Bills is more likely than not.

The team will not tank a game. Whether the pats get into the playoffs is of no concern to the team right now. We may lose the game but it's not going to get tanked.

Does it really matter? Pats aren't going far in the playoffs anyway. They could easily lose in the first round and at best would be a one-and-done. The Pats have lost a lot of significance.

All Pro
    I don't see the Pasts losing to Buff at home......won't even get my hopes up for the scenario....

Quote Originally Posted by AFCEastFan View Post
    Not so far-fetched at all, particularly since the Ravens are so hot and the Patriots are so banged up. And if the Pats suffer one more key injury (Chandler Jones? Mankins? Edelman? Vereen?), a loss to the Bills is more likely than not.
    I do expect the Ravens to take care of business at home against the Pats, but I do have a hard time seeing Buffalo going into Foxboro and walking out with a win regardless of how banged up the Pats are. Manuel is just way too inconsistent and the Bills are an overall bad football team. The division aspect of it might make me think there is about a 15-20% or so chance, but no higher.

I was very surprised to see that this was still a possibility as the talking heads at the NFL Network all basically (and foolishly) handed the Pats the #1 seed after the Broncos lost to the Bolts

Brady could get injured in the game against the Ravens... the O line is in shambles now.

Quote Originally Posted by CleatMarks View Post
    Brady could get injured in the game against the Ravens... the O line is in shambles now.
    No way they can beat the Ravens playing the chuck & duck offense they will have to play.
    Don't be surprised if Amendola & Edelman don't make it out of this game alive. Edelman has been taking some hellacious shots, guy is tougher than I thought.
    He had to be in the icebath after that Fins game.
    Flacco has had a field day with the Pats D over the last few years & this is the weakest unit he has ever faced with all their injuries.
    Not out of the question losing to the Bills if the Bills get the running game going, Pats can't stop a good running game anymore & Jackson & Spiller arent exactly chopped liver.
    Bills have nothing to play for & Marone is a gambler, I see them going for any & all 4th & shorts over the 50 yard line.
    Thats a scary team to play for the Pats.

If the Pats go 10-6 and miss the playoffs, and the Dolphins win the division by beating the Jets on the last day of the season, is that really better?

Quote Originally Posted by Batmans A Scientist View Post
    If the Pats go 10-6 and miss the playoffs, and the Dolphins win the division by beating the Jets on the last day of the season, is that really better?
    Actually, YES.

Quote Originally Posted by jetster View Post
    No way they can beat the Ravens playing the chuck & duck offense they will have to play.
    Don't be surprised if Amendola & Edelman don't make it out of this game alive. Edelman has been taking some hellacious shots, guy is tougher than I thought.
    He had to be in the icebath after that Fins game.
    Flacco has had a field day with the Pats D over the last few years & this is the weakest unit he has ever faced with all their injuries.
    Not out of the question losing to the Bills if the Bills get the running game going, Pats can't stop a good running game anymore & Jackson & Spiller arent exactly chopped liver.
    Bills have nothing to play for & Marone is a gambler, I see them going for any & all 4th & shorts over the 50 yard line.
    Thats a scary team to play for the Pats.
    The window is shutting for that franchise. QUICKLY.

Quote Originally Posted by Batmans A Scientist View Post
    Maybe not "better" per se, but it definitely isn't "worse."

I would enjoy the playoffs more without the standard Nantz/Pats game in which he slobbers over Brady and Belicheck for 3 hours.

All League
    All the Jets could still make the playoffs nonsense finally ends and now this starts?

Quote Originally Posted by JetBidi View Post
    All the Jets could still make the playoffs nonsense finally ends and now this starts?
    What else is there? Sure, we can adopt a team to pull for in the playoffs (Seattle for me, personally), but we can also get joy out of watching the teams we hate fail. And nobody is more hated by us than the Pats

Quote Originally Posted by SlickBri481 View Post
    Maybe not "better" per se, but it definitely isn't "worse."

I would enjoy the playoffs more without the standard Nantz/Pats game in which he slobbers over Brady and Belicheck for 3 hours.
    Its typical Jet fan luck - watch the Pats miss the playoffs but stomach the Dolphins making it instead? Fan-****ing-tastic.

Oh, and to have them do it by beating the Jets in Week 17? Even better. Im old enough to still hate the Dolphins a whole lot.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by SlickBri481 View Post
    What else is there? Sure, we can adopt a team to pull for in the playoffs (Seattle for me, personally), but we can also get joy out of watching the teams we hate fail. And nobody is more hated by us than the Pats
    I see your point. And I'd personally also like to see Wilson get a ring. He's been lights out for someone who everyone was down on in the draft. I'm with u... SCREW THE PASTS*

Quote Originally Posted by Brooklyn Jet View Post
    Its typical Jet fan luck - watch the Pats miss the playoffs but stomach the Dolphins making it instead? Fan-****ing-tastic.

Oh, and to have them do it by beating the Jets in Week 17? Even better. Im old enough to still hate the Dolphins a whole lot.
    So what?
    Jets have been to 2 AFCCGs & the mymammy has sucked for a long time. Would love to see the Pats miss the playoffs & then see the Fins get hammered in the their 1st playoff in god knows when ( I honestly can't remember how long it's been since the Fins were in the playoffs? 2008?)
    I think they have been in the playoffs once in 12 or 15 years?
    Sucks they finally have a QB again though.

The refs will ensure that they don't lose to Buffalo so don't even dream about it.

Banned
    This is so fun.........

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    The refs will ensure that they don't lose to Buffalo so don't even dream about it.
    Per the usual....Goddell would have a heart attack if we had a "patsless" playoffs