Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The can Rex and the offense is fixed myth.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like

The can Rex and the offense is fixed myth.

In the past decade the highest the offense has ranked is 11th. (Under Rex) were 1 and 2 in rushing his first 2 seasons here and have ranked in the top half in rushing 4/5 seasons under Rex. Don't quite understand where the notion comes from that he ignores the offense or doesn't know what he's doing. It's not his fault the front office over pays for scrubs and has no weapons on offense. Don't take my word for it here's Mike Westhoff's interview on the Stephen A Smith and Ryan Ruocco show today and you can here this myth be put to sleep by a man who coached with Rex for 4 years and he happens to think Rex is a great coach... But he does he know he's not a JI member http://espn.go.com/espnradio/newyork/play?id=10147919

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JETSALLDAY24 View Post
    In the past decade the highest the offense has ranked is 11th. (Under Rex) were 1 and 2 in rushing his first 2 seasons here and have ranked in the top half in rushing 4/5 seasons under Rex. Don't quite understand where the notion comes from that he ignores the offense or doesn't know what he's doing. It's not his fault the front office over pays for scrubs and has no weapons on offense. Don't take my word for it here's Mike Westhoff's interview on the Stephen A Smith and Ryan Ruocco show today and you can here this myth be put to sleep by a man who coached with Rex for 4 years and he happens to think Rex is a great coach... But he does he know he's not a JI member http://espn.go.com/espnradio/newyork/play?id=10147919
    Pretty effin simple - He wants to run in a passing league.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for proving my point from earlier, OP.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    "1 and 2 in rushing" = we ran the ball the most. Don't think we were at the top in yards per carry. Rex's strategy sucks in today's nfl

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    rex is stuck in a 1970's nfl.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Is the OP related to Rex?

Rex is a HC like his father was a HC. Overmatched. This was the fear when he came in here. He would be able to field a good defense pretty much every year but the offense would be totally marginalized, ignored and it would suck as a result.

Buddy did this in Philadelphia and Arizona. There is zero evidence that Rex pays any attention whatsoever to the offense.

I like Rex but he is simply not equipped to be a HC and there is zero evidence that he is learning anything on the job. The criticisms of his weaknesses have been constant and he shows no signs at all of addressing them after five years.

On the other hand Woody likes him.
    Last edited by EM31; 12-17-2013 at 07:55 AM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 56mehl56 View Post
    Pretty effin simple - He wants to run in a passing league.
    So do the Seahawks, Panthers and 49ers... all pretty darn good Teams...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    "1 and 2 in rushing" = we ran the ball the most. Don't think we were at the top in yards per carry. Rex's strategy sucks in today's nfl
    Again, the 49ers, Seahawks and the Panthers have the exact same philosophy. The only difference is that their defenses are better and can hold up their end of the bargain and that they have smart playmakers at QB...

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    ^ Russell Wilson just broke the record for most TD passes during his first two seasons. The Seahawks can pass the ball very well.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    So, in 5 seasons -- 2 seasons with Rookie QB's -- Rex is supposed to tell the OC to draw up some game plans where they dissect the opponent with the passing game? Who would be throwing all of these passes? Who would he be throwing to? Give me a break.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    ^ Russell Wilson just broke the record for most TD passes during his first two seasons. The Seahawks can pass the ball very well.
    No question but they are clearly a run first Team and set up the pass with the run. Wilson has fewer passing attempts on the year than Geno. Actually no QB who has played all 14 games has fewer passes than Wilson. He is more than a game Manager but they do not pass it very often.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SONNY WERBLIN View Post
    So, in 5 seasons -- 2 seasons with Rookie QB's -- Rex is supposed to tell the OC to draw up some game plans where they dissect the opponent with the passing game? Who would be throwing all of these passes? Who would he be throwing to? Give me a break.
    If Rex were the Jets DC I would be right with you on this but he is not the DC no matter how much he might want to be.

He is THE GUY. All problems on the field are his fault. All of them. His and the GM. Why do some people continue to try and find excuses here. If you are not going to be responsible then don't accept the damned job in the first place.

H E A D C O A C H

What part of this is opaque?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Exactly. Not to mention we tried to air it out with both Sanchez and Geno. It mostly ended up in a disaster...

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with Mike Westhoff, he is right on.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Flaming Mo View Post
    Exactly. Not to mention we tried to air it out with both Sanchez and Geno. It mostly ended up in a disaster...
    Because they were both awful, not ready or both. Decisions that Rex either made directly or at the very least was a partner and signed off on. Next?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by EM31 View Post
    If Rex were the Jets DC I would be right with you on this but he is not the DC no matter how much he might want to be.

He is THE GUY. All problems on the field are his fault. All of them. His and the GM. Why do some people continue to try and find excuses here. If you are not going to be responsible then don't accept the damned job in the first place.

H E A D C O A C H

What part of this is opaque?
    So, where is Bellichick if the Pats picked Chris Redman, Marc Bulger or Spergon Wynn instead of Brady. And John Harbaugh would be doing fine if Newsome drafted Brian Brohme over Joe Flacco. And I'm sure Dungy and the Colts would have won more games with Ryan Leaf rather than Peyton Manning. etc, etc, etc....

It is lunacy to believe the HC has greater control over a team's fortunes than the starting QB.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    So, where is Bellichick if the Pats picked Chris Redman, Marc Bulger or Spergon Wynn instead of Brady. And John Harbaugh would be doing fine if Newsome drafted Brian Brohme over Joe Flacco. And I'm sure Dungy and the Colts would have won more games with Ryan Leaf rather than Peyton Manning. etc, etc, etc....

It is lunacy to believe the HC has greater control over a team's fortunes than the starting QB.
    Five years is a lifetime in the NFL and Rex is has not evidenced on iota of growth. Five years is beyond a lifetime. At the end of the day he is the CEO of the team on the field which means he gets the credit and/or the blame for decisions like Sparano and/or not having an adequate veteran on the roster to be able to step in in case the rookie QB gets into trouble. Yes the GM is the ultimate CEO but that one has already been canned for bollixing up the franchise.

Why does Rex keep getting a free pass for decisions that he either made on his own or at the very least decisions that he must have signed off on? Can I get a stack of get out of jail free cards like that from somewhere?

P.S. I was in the "wait and see" camp on Rex basically until this morning on this thread. I would hire him back as the DC in a heartbeat and even make his retention a strong suggestion to the new HC but he, like his father does not have the tool set to be a HC in my opinion.
    Last edited by EM31; 12-17-2013 at 08:57 AM.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    were 1 and 2 in rushing his first 2 seasons here
    With talent he had no role in choosing or coaching.

Don't quite understand where the notion comes from that he ignores the offense or doesn't know what he's doing.
    2011, 2012, 2013, culminating in an Offense Ranked 30th in Yards, 31st in Scoring & 32nd in Takeaway vs. Giveaways.

It's not his fault the front....
    Yes, it is. He has had as much a say as anyone as to whom we've aquired in his tenure.

You may choose to accept mediocrity and three consecutive non-winning, non-playoff seasons, with one of the consistently worst offenses in the NFL, but not all of us do.

Kotite, Edwards, Mangini, they all had their to-the-end supporters too.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by EM31 View Post
    Five years is a lifetime in the NFL and Rex is has not evidenced on iota of growth. Five years is beyond a lifetime. At the end of the day he is the CEO of the team on the field which means he gets the credit and/or the blame for decisions like Sparano and/or not having an adequate veteran on the roster to be able to step in in case the rookie QB gets into trouble. Yes the GM is the ultimate CEO but that one has already been canned for bollixing up the franchise.

Why does Rex keep getting a free pass for decisions that he either made on his own or at the very least decisions that he must have signed off on? Can I get a stack if get out of jail free cards like that from somewhere?
    We do not totally disagree. I just think Rex's 5 years, with 2 AFC Championship games, gets him 1 more year to see if he can win with an improving roster, and hopefully better QB play. Rex has made lots of mistakes, but being a HC for the first time involves a lot of on the job training. I would not want to waste what we have invested in Rex thusfar. And lets' not forget, that the 6 wins the Jets have already is more than most had predicted. The Jets could very well finish 7-9 despite a mostly non-existent offense. Lastly, when the great Bellichick and Brady recount the 25 games they've lost in the past 5 regular seasons and playoffs, 4 of them -- 12.5% -- were to Rex and the Jets. Has any HC beaten Bellichick and Brady 4 times in the past 5 seasons?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    If Idzik feels the need to can Rex, it's only half the battle.....the other half is finding the right guy to lead the team in the right direction, and that's extremely difficult....