Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: John " the professor" Clayon reporting that Rex will be replaced...

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by parafly View Post
    Clayton is probably correct about Rex being replaced, but his reasoning seems to be off. If the Jets played well in the second half of the season and made a run to the playoffs, Rex would remain the HC regardless of the Sanchez situation during the preseason or the offensive personnel issues.

Rex is getting fired because the Jets have missed the playoffs for three seasons in a row while showing complete ineptitude on the offensive side of the ball for the majority of the time. Rex has also been outcoached regularly over the past three seasons.
    +1,000,000

That was the Owner and a smart move at that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    Yeah like he was the one that wanted Revis gone..

Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Its almost become comical at this point. There are actually two different factions of the "defend Rex at all costs" clan. Half of them absolve him of any responsibility at all saying he had no say in personnel or his assistant coaches, the other faction says he had too much control and it was Tanny's fault for allowing Rex to make decisions. Some people have actually argued both, which is pretty entertaining as well.
    wasn't rex behind the great terminator pick?

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    Can't wait until those whiners start complaing about the new defense isn't as good as it used to be under Rex. SOJF's gonna be SOJFS.
    Does anyone remember why the Tuna wanted out of NE?? And I quote;If I'm going to cook the meal I want to be able to buy the groceries.. That was a 2 time Bowl winning HC complaining.. Yet many on the board thinks first time HC Rex ran the drafts and if they could they would blame him for drafting the Ghost before he got to the Jets..Come to think of it some did blame Rex for him not developing..

Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    Thats a cop out. You are happy with the last 3 years??? take out 2010 and we are so far below 500 it is laughable.

Take out all the wins since 2009 and he literally hasn't won anything!

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    There wasnt a leak, it was pure speculation on Clayton's part. He did not cite a source, just said he thought there was no way the Jets would bring Rex back.
    Well then the thread title should be changed. This is nothing more than what we have been saying on JI for the past year or so. Fvcking POS ESPN.

Quote Originally Posted by SONNY WERBLIN View Post
    If Idzik cites all of this stuff (except the missing the playoff's because they have not had playoff caliber talent for the past 3 season), I would have no problem for his firing Rex. He'd just better have someone in mind and should not site Rex's personnel "decisions".
    From what you have seen of Idzik, does he seem like the type to make irrational decisions? I have significantly more concern over who the next Jets coach will be than the reasons for Rex's firings. I like Rex, but at some point you write your own pink slip and Rex has done just that. I don't really care what Idzik's reasons are. I am sure he won't come out and state reason X, Reason Y, Resaon Z. He will say "rex has done a great job, but at some point we need to look in a different direction..." I doubt he will start itemzing Rex's failures.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by NYJ37/12 View Post
    That was the Owner and a smart move at that.
    And I agree but if Rex had the almighty power that some give him Revis wouldn't be gone.. After all isn't Woody in love with Rex??

i really don't get all the support for rex at this point. his basic football philosophy is the opposite of the rest of the nfl. he'd rather have a real basic offense and a great defense, despite the fact that the best teams in the nfl are focusing on offense and the rules keep changing to help offenses score. i think i heard this past week there were the most points scored ever in the nfl in one week, and the giants were shut out. the jets need a hc who can develop an offense, they need a hc who can limit the presnap penalties, they need someone who can evaluate offensive talent and develop it.

Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    Does anyone remember why the Tuna wanted out of NE?? And I quote;If I'm going to cook the meal I want to be able to buy the groceries.. That was a 2 time Bowl winning HC complaining.. Yet many on the board thinks first time HC Rex ran the drafts and if they could they would blame him for drafting the Ghost before he got to the Jets..Come to think of it some did blame Rex for him not developing..
    We can all agree that those guys are idiots. Rex, like EVERY head coach has some influence in who gets drafted. But in the end the GM is never going to ignore his scouts and draft a player the head coach wants simply because, in the end, the GM is the one that gets fired if the players don't pan out. With that said, it would be foolish for a GM to completely shut out a guy like Rex when he gives you his opinion on a defensive player.

As for this past years draft, i would estimate that Rex had a less than 1 percent role in the players drafted.

From what you have seen of Idzik, does he seem like the type to make irrational decisions? I have significantly more concern over who the next Jets coach will be than the reasons for Rex's firings. I like Rex, but at some point you write your own pink slip and Rex has done just that. I don't really care what Idzik's reasons are. I am sure he won't come out and state reason X, Reason Y, Resaon Z. He will say "rex has done a great job, but at some point we need to look in a different direction..." I doubt he will start itemzing Rex's failures.
    I agree. Which is why I have doubts about Clayton's report that Idzik would fire Rex because of the Sanchez injury and Rex's Offensive personnel decisions. Nothing Idzik has done or said would make me think he would be evaluate whether to fire Rex on those factors. It would be his overall performance and results that matter most.

Talking Where is the player development under Rex...?

Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    Agreed. Rex is just in over his head slightly. So many things like clock management, Sanchez injury, wanting Tebow, Conner and it goes on.

Regular season games that were either won or lost, he kept players in too long.
    ==Hey, if Idzik wants to fire Rex, he should. But it should be based on his "coaching" of the team over the past 5 seasons, and not an isolated decision to put Sanchez in a pre-season game and "personnel" decisions that no legitimate GM would leave up to his HC. Frankly, if these are truly Idzik's reasons for firing Rex, IMO he is a weaselly whus of a GM.

=== all good thoughts, IMO. I think the record will show that Rex had input with drafting Conner in 5th round; getting Derrick Mason ( at 37 years old) from Ravens; playing Ed Reed over Antonio Allen; ... promoting Shonne Greene as the bell cow. Also, remember-- the secondary has not really played that well this year... where is the player development and the turnovers--? -- for a guy ( REX) who is supposed to be a Defensive Semi- Genius..?

Out of the 101 reasons to fire Rex Ryan, the Sanchez incident would be about 99 on my list.

there's enough qualified candidates to replace rex. i wouldn't worry about that.

All Pro
    Give Rex a 1-year extension and let's see what he can do with a second-year QB with a full offseason and an influx of draft picks/rookies.

Quote Originally Posted by BRONX JET View Post
    So Idzik likes Sanchez........ interesting
    What a complete misinterpretation. What he was saying is that Idzik was upset with Rex's STUPID decision to put him in and at risk in a meaningless 4th quarter of a meaningless pre season game. Idzikk does not like Rex's moronic decisions. It does not mean that "Idzik likes Sanchez"

Rex's decision basically left the team with only one viable option for starting the season at QB. But that too is Idzik's fault for not bringing in a competent vet to be backup and relying exclusively on the Sanchez-G. Smith combo. Bringing in Garrard was an idiot move by Idzik. So Idzik should be criticizing himself for that blunder.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

We can all agree that those guys are idiots. Rex, like EVERY head coach has some influence in who gets drafted. But in the end the GM is never going to ignore his scouts and draft a player the head coach wants simply because, in the end, the GM is the one that gets fired if the players don't pan out. With that said, it would be foolish for a GM to completely shut out a guy like Rex when he gives you his opinion on a defensive player.

As for this past years draft, i would estimate that Rex had a less than 1 percent role in the players drafted.
    To bad Tanny ignored his top scout Bradway and Rex and traded up to take Hill..

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by RageATL View Post
    Give Rex a 1-year extension and let's see what he can do with a second-year QB with a full offseason and an influx of draft picks/rookies.
    You don't have to extend him his contract is through 2014..

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by SlickBri481 View Post
    This is an important point. If Idzik fires Rex, he better have a candidate he absoltuely wants to come in here. He can't just fire Rex for the sake of firing Rex, and then be left scrambling for someone. There are going to be a lot of head coaching gig open after this season and we are far from the most attractive situation. Idzik cannot assume we are getting whoever we want.
    +1

If the last two seasons are any indication, the outcome of these last two games is a foregone conclusion.

Quote Originally Posted by KRL View Post
    This thread will probably end up being 50+ pages but the truth is I don't believe Clayton. Woody & Idzik
    have said nothing all year about Ryan's job status other than they'll handle it at the end of the year. Am I
    to believe now with two games left its been "leaked" to Clayton what's going on??? I don't think so, since
    Idzik has been here "leaks" have dried up to the media