Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who are The Best OFFENSIVE Minds in the NFL/College Today, Who are NOT Head Coaches?

JetsInsider.com Legend

Who are The Best OFFENSIVE Minds in the NFL/College Today, Who are NOT Head Coaches?

Simple question.

Who are best offensive minds in the game, pro or college, who are not currently NFL Head Coaches?

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    Simple question.

Who are best offensive minds in the game, pro or college, who are not currently NFL Head Coaches?
    I think Norv Turner is a great offensive mind, but he isnt head coaching material.

All League
    That's hard to answer from a fans perspective because we are limited to "TV knowledge" of
    what's going on. But if we are going to replace Ryan the coaches we should look at are:

- David Shaw HC at Stanford
    - Darrell Bevell OC at SEA
    - Dan Quinn DC at SEA
    - Greg Roman OC at SF
    - Vic Fangio DC at SF

I think people would say that Seattle's OC (Bevell) and Cincy's OC (Gruden) are sort of the hot names in the pro ranks. I don't know how excited either gets me to be honest. In college, David Shaw from Stanford is really well liked by NFL teams but he runs sort of a throwback style of offense, power running game. After 5 years of Rex, I don't think our fanbase wants that. Gus Malzahn on Auburn is obviously a fantastic offensive mind but there's zero chance he is leaving college.

I would not rate any of these guys as better NFL head coaching prospects than Rex. Maybe Shaw, but he is going to have a lot of interest from more attractive NFL and college coaching gigs.

Jets Insider VIP
    can we include JI posters in this list?

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by SlickBri481 View Post
    I think people would say that Seattle's OC (Bevell) and Cincy's OC (Gruden) are sort of the hot names in the pro ranks. I don't know how excited either gets me to be honest. In college, David Shaw from Stanford is really well liked by NFL teams but he runs sort of a throwback style of offense, power running game. After 5 years of Rex, I don't think our fanbase wants that. Gus Malzahn on Auburn is obviously a fantastic offensive mind but there's zero chance he is leaving college.

I would not rate any of these guys as better NFL head coaching prospects than Rex. Maybe Shaw, but he is going to have a lot of interest from more attractive NFL and college coaching gigs.
    Add Bill O'brien to the list of college guys that will become talked about a lot now.

Agree about Malzahn, not only is he not leaving Auburn, but his offense is not even close to being a viable NFL offense.

Personally, I like Bill O'Brien. He proved coming into PSU that he can handle controversy. He is supremely organized, has the pulse of his team, makes good in game decisions and understands QB play.

Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Add Bill O'brien to the list of college guys that will become talked about a lot now.

Agree about Malzahn, not only is he not leaving Auburn, but his offense is not even close to being a viable NFL offense.
    I agree, Bill O'brien is another name getting tossed around. My problem with guys like Shaw and O'Brien, does anyone believe they would leave the college ranks (particularly Shaw, who is in a great situation and could even go to Texas probably) to come to the Jets?

Right off the bat, I can think of several likely NFL openings that look more attractive than us:

Houston
    Detroit
    Tampa Bay

And then you have teams like Minnesota and Tennessee, which are probably on par with us in terms of attractive-ness. I think our situation probably looks better than the Redskins or the Raiders, although if a guy wants to work with RG3, they'd be elevated over us. And obviously, if by some chance Atlanta or the Giants opened up, both would easily look like far better situations than us.

Hall Of Fame
    I agree, Bill O'brien is another name getting tossed around. My problem with guys like Shaw and O'Brien, does anyone believe they would leave the college ranks (particularly Shaw, who is in a great situation and could even go to Texas probably) to come to the Jets?

Right off the bat, I can think of several likely NFL openings that look more attractive than us:

Houston
    Detroit
    Tampa Bay

And then you have teams like Minnesota and Tennessee, which are probably on par with us in terms of attractive-ness. I think our situation probably looks better than the Redskins or the Raiders, although if a guy wants to work with RG3, they'd be elevated over us. And obviously, if by some chance Atlanta or the Giants opened up, both would easily look like far better situations than us.
    As far as Shaw goes, I just dont see him leaving Stanford right now. I do think if the Raider job opened up he may be more willing to leave Stanford.

Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    As far as Shaw goes, I just dont see him leaving Stanford right now. I do think if the Raider job opened up he may be more willing to leave Stanford.
    Yeah, I agree, he probably won't leave. The Raiders job, although close to where he is now, strikes me as probably the least attractive option out there. No QB, losing team for a decade, terrible owenrship/management for a long time, really weak roster overall. I suppose some would rate the dumpster fire that is Washington as a worse opening, considering they don't have a first round pick, are married to RG3 for the next few years, and, well, Dan Snyder. I just think a lot of good candidates, especially from college ranks, are not going to find us attractive. I think it'd be a situation where we'd have to get an assistant coach that was really hungry for his first head coaching gig, or maybe a desperate re-tread looking for "one last chance." Idzik seems to have a good rep though, but our QB situation is so unsettled and we might not even end up picking in the top 10. Not to mention, NYC is a tough marketplace with a big spotlight. I'm not sure we can get in a better coach than Rex, which is why I would just stick with him for now and use the offseason to upgrade the offense bigtime (even if that means telling Rex he will have zero say on personnel decisions this offseason).

Quote Originally Posted by SONNY WERBLIN View Post
    Personally, I like Bill O'Brien. He proved coming into PSU that he can handle controversy. He is supremely organized, has the pulse of his team, makes good in game decisions and understands QB play.
    Solid post - this is what i want in a HC. We need dicipline, organziation and the ability to manage the in-game situations.

Obrien is a strong character guy, which is also something this organization needs.

My biggest question with him would be his staff. Penn State currently doesnt have a named offensive coordinator and his defensive coordinator is very young and a career college coach.

He could potentially look at brian daboll (back on Pats staff in a limited roll after 2 OC stints) but he has not bee very successful, although he didnt have much to work with in miami and KC.

Other then that, Im not sure who he has ties to or has a relationship with.

One name that I would love to see work with Obrien would be Jeff Tedford. He is a west coast (geography - not offense) but is out of work and is an innovative offensive mind.

All Pro
    Norv(want him nowhere near this team)

Roman

Bill O'Brien

Wisenhunt

That's all I can think of off the top of my head.....

Brian Schottenheimer.
    Bill Calahan
    Kevin Gilbride

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

You can assemble the greatest offensive minds to coach these Jets

Without a QB, they'll get run out of town here too.

Quote Originally Posted by carlito1171 View Post
    Norv(want him nowhere near this team)

Roman

Bill O'Brien

Wisenhunt

That's all I can think of off the top of my head.....
    I heard Houston is very interested in Whiz. Not that I would definitely want him here, but if Houston wants him, there is no chance he would come to us over them. They're a far more attractive situation, really for a variety of reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by JonEJet View Post
    You can assemble the greatest offensive minds to coach these Jets

Without a QB, they'll get run out of town here too.
    This is true however great o minds can make the Matt Flynns of the world produce to some extent and have a great chance of developing a Qb and an offense than otherwise.

Hall Of Fame
    We need a Rookie "GURU" that doesn't know anything about Defense!

Hall Of Fame
    We need someone that can PICK and develop a QB. And developing a QB requires developing OL and WRs.

All Pro
    I heard Houston is very interested in Whiz. Not that I would definitely want him here, but if Houston wants him, there is no chance he would come to us over them. They're a far more attractive situation, really for a variety of reasons.
    eh, would rather Roman or O'Brien anyways.........if Idzik cans Rex of course