Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Rex won more games with this team than 90% of coaches in the league now would ..

The last defense of a defeated or invalid argument, shut down and ban disagreement.

All League
    My opinion hasn't changed, I would bring back Ryan. If I was Idzik I would extend him two years with no raise.
    That would serve two purposes, it would show the players and assistant coaches Ryan has management's support
    and the no raise would tell Rex he has to get better over the next 3 years. Then the whole off-season would be
    spent restocking the offense from top to bottom. With the collection of offensive talent Ryan had this year he has
    overachieved. Think about how many teams have underachieved this year:

DET
    DAL
    NYG
    WAS
    PIT
    HOU
    MIN

If we had the offensive talent of those teams I would have no problem firing Rex, but we don't

Veteran
    Unless there is a super candidate out there to replace Rex, I don't see how firing him advances this team. Rex is a buffoon, a side-show but he can coach and lead a team. Rex's problem is the same as most good coaches who never get to win Super Bowls, no quarterback. All great Super Bowl coaches we admire are lucky enough to hit on a QB. With the rules of football being so skewed towards offense the days of a Brad Johnson type qb winning a Super Bowl are over. Rex is an average to poor evaluator of talent and should be kept far away from drafting decisions.

The Jets having to keep drafting qb's until they hit one. It may be too early to say but Geno Smith is unlikely to be "the guy". Mark Sanchez is not "the guy". If the Jets are ever to go further than an honorable exit in the AFC Championship, they need a top ten quarterback, a few key pieces around him and lots of luck

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by 10PennyToColes87 View Post
    Did Sooth really close the other thread because others disagreed with his opinion?
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    LOL...yes it looks that way.
    Right? Talk about taking your ball home if you don't like the way the game is played. WTF?

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by shevys View Post
    Right? Talk about taking your ball home if you don't like the way the game is played. WTF?
    Kind of strange. Especially when you respond to someone to tell them they are wrong and then lock the thread before any actual factual rebuttal can be made.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by shevys View Post
    Kind of strange. Especially when you respond to someone to tell them they are wrong and then lock the thread before any actual factual rebuttal can be made.
    Rex apologists will do anything to defend their man. It's pretty pathetic.

The performance of the team to this point in his career merits argument from both sides, firing or keeping Rex. I think that's why it's such a hotly debated issue. Everyone knew Mangini needed to go. Everyone knew Herm needed to go. With Rex, it's definitely not as clear cut.

What it really comes down to is whether Rex's philosophy and vision lines up with Idzik. That's ultimately what matters most. We have alot of draft picks and a good amount of cap room this offseason. It is going to set the tone for the future of this football team, and this is the time to commit to the HC that is going to lead Idzik's vision. Can Rex be that guy, or is he too rooted in a defensive philosophy for Idzik? Time will tell.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Snell41 View Post
    The performance of the team to this point in his career merits argument from both sides, firing or keeping Rex. I think that's why it's such a hotly debated issue. Everyone knew Mangini needed to go. Everyone knew Herm needed to go. With Rex, it's definitely not as clear cut.

What it really comes down to is whether Rex's philosophy and vision lines up with Idzik. That's ultimately what matters most. We have alot of draft picks and a good amount of cap room this offseason. It is going to set the tone for the future of this football team, and this is the time to commit to the HC that is going to lead Idzik's vision. Can Rex be that guy, or is he too rooted in a defensive philosophy for Idzik? Time will tell.
    This is the off season where Idzik makes his mark and who he is going to tie his fate to with the Jets. If Idzik extends Rex and things dont work out, does Idzik get to bring in another HC?

All League
    This is the off season where Idzik makes his mark and who he is going to tie his fate to with the Jets. If Idzik extends Rex and things dont work out, does Idzik get to bring in another HC?
    I believe he would, Woody was patient with Tanny (Mangini & Ryan) why wouldn't he give Idzik the same courtesy

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by KRL View Post
    My opinion hasn't changed, I would bring back Ryan. If I was Idzik I would extend him two years with no raise.
    That would serve two purposes, it would show the players and assistant coaches Ryan has management's support
    and the no raise would tell Rex he has to get better over the next 3 years. Then the whole off-season would be
    spent restocking the offense from top to bottom. With the collection of offensive talent Ryan had this year he has
    overachieved. Think about how many teams have underachieved this year:

DET
    DAL
    NYG
    WAS
    PIT
    HOU
    MIN

If we had the offensive talent of those teams I would have no problem firing Rex, but we don't
    I hear you KRL.....I value your football opinion and you are clearly one of the better posters here, but you don't have any sort of doubt that the offense will evolve under Rex? I am a long time supporter of the guy, and I've defended him for years on this site, but so far he's been given 2 rookie QB's and I've seen him make the same mistakes with each of them.....

I've seen 3 OC's here under Rex and the offense still resembles what we saw the past couple of seasons.. Our talent level on O is **** but I don't think Rex is willing to bend on his offensive philosophy.

I think he truly wants to win the game with D and limit the turnovers on offense.....the problem is two-fold....1) You have to score points in this league to win games. Period. The rules are skewed to favor the offense so you are playing yourself if you think you can build a team with an all-star cast on Defense and win games WITHOUT supplementing the offense. 2) The way that he goes about developing QB's not conducive to their own growth....you keep telling them "Just don't turn the ball over" to the point where they play scared and they lost all of their confidence......we all saw the change in Sanchez, and now Geno.....they all have their own faults but I don't think Rex does them any favors by the way he handled them. MM had this offense playing decent for a stretch, but then as soon as we put ourselves in a position to sneak in and get into the playoffs, I saw an offense that has Rex's fingerprints all over it. Hell, he almost gave Geno the same wristbands he gave Mark until someone talked some sense into him.....

I like Rex, I thank him for all the good times the first 2 seasons, I like his personality, and his players run through walls for him......however, and it pains me to say this.....like father, like son. Rex is Buddy reincarnated.......I don't think this offense will ever grow to the level it needs to be for us to become serious contenders..even with a strong OC and better talent on offense......I think the man is deadset on winning a SB HIS WAY......just like the 2000 Ravens....and it's impossible to win a SB like that in 2013....

All Pro
    If he gives Rex an extension and we see no improvements in the team during the duration of the extension then sadly it's time to press the reset button on the franchise again....and we can't keep doing this and expect to win a SB sometime soon.....so I REALLY REALLY hope Idzik makes the right decision here, whatever that may be....the wrong decision here can set us back another 5+ seasons

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by carlito1171 View Post
    If he gives Rex an extension and we see no improvements in the team during the duration of the extension then sadly it's time to press the reset button on the franchise again....and we can't keep doing this and expect to win a SB sometime soon.....so I REALLY REALLY hope Idzik makes the right decision here, whatever that may be....the wrong decision here can set us back another 5+ seasons
    If you are Idzik, this is the perfect time to make a change in the head coach. With all the cap room, draft picks and roster flexibility, it is a great opportunity for a new head coach to come in and help shape the team the way he likes. This type of roster flexibility does not happen often for an NFL team, I would hate to waste this opportunity.

If you are Idzik, this is the perfect time to make a change in the head coach. With all the cap room, draft picks and roster flexibility, it is a great opportunity for a new head coach to come in and help shape the team the way he likes. This type of roster flexibility does not happen often for an NFL team, I would hate to waste this opportunity.
    Thats how I see it as well.

Gives Idzik a chance to bring in "his guy", with loyalty to him (Idzik) not Woody, who sahres team-building theory with him (Idzik), and with a fresh clean slate (given how many people we may/can cut loose) to start a floor-up rebuild of the Offense, while retaining a very solid core group on Defense up front.

Let Rex spend all that money/space, and if he fails, Idzik and "his guy" will start 2015 in a much worse spot than this coming offseason, with far less room to work/rebuild with.

If Idzik is not 100% behind Rex, I don't see any way Rex comes back for 2014.

And if Idzik IS 100% behind Rex....whelp.....then Rex IS Idzik's guy, and the two can sink or swim together from that second on. They fail, both should be fired.

All Pro
    Yea I completely agree now that I think about it......in theory he could give Rex another shot but how would it look if he had to can him, after's he started to put a team together for him?

Idzik need to pick his guy THIS OFFSEASON.....if it's Rex give him an extension now......if it's not the change needs to be made now....we will have purged our roster from the old regime after this season so it doesn't make sense to start rebuilding this team with a coach who's still in limbo....

Hall Of Fame
    Yea I completely agree now that I think about it......in theory he could give Rex another shot but how would it look if he had to can him, after's he started to put a team together for him?

Idzik need to pick his guy THIS OFFSEASON.....if it's Rex give him an extension now......if it's not the change needs to be made now....we will have purged our roster from the old regime after this season so it doesn't make sense to start rebuilding this team with a coach who's still in limbo....
    IMO you can not bring back Rex without giving him an extension. What is the value in giving him one more year? Is this team really a Super Bowl contender next season? If I am Idzik I bring in my new head coach while I have all the resources to give him. Plus, it makes the Jet job that much more attractive to prospective coaches.

Hall Of Fame

Rex won more games with this team than 90% of coaches in the league now would ..

If Idzik keeps Rex and we suck again next year after 9 draft picks and 40 million in cap room then they both should be fired.

Jets Insider VIP
    Exactly

Schefter even tweeted the other day that the Jets are going to most likely get 4 comp picks and that's in addition to the extra 3rd rounder for Revis.

That means we're most likely staring at 12 draft picks altogether and $40+ million in cap space to play with.

That, coupled with the opportunity to coach a New York football franchise is pretty damn attractive to potential HC candidates. I don't care how much the doom and gloomers want to rattle on about our past history and how we're "cursed" and all that other silly bullsh*t.

Now is the perfect time for Idzik to make the move to bring in "his guy".

If not, then you extend Rex and attach yourself at the hip to him. Period.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    Exactly

Schefter even tweeted the other day that the Jets are going to most likely get 4 comp picks and that's in addition to the extra 3rd rounder for Revis.

That means we're most likely staring at 12 draft picks altogether and $40+ million in cap space to play with.

That, coupled with the opportunity to coach a New York football franchise is pretty damn attractive to potential HC candidates. I don't care how much the doom and gloomers want to rattle on about our past history and how we're "cursed" and all that other silly bullsh*t.

Now is the perfect time for Idzik to make the move to bring in "his guy".

If not, then you extend Rex and attach yourself at the hip to him. Period.
    As we've all stated previously this is the most logical approach for Idzik to make....We have the ammo to have a completely new team by 2015.....now is the time for Idzik to pick his guy....not after construction is underway....

Either way you slice it.....I wanna see a Woody and Idzik press conference on Black Monday.....they will announce either Rex's firing or his extension...

The problem is this offseason is a critical one for the future success of the Jets , do we want Rex ushering in the presumed new crop of offensive players, personally I can't think of another HC that I'd want less in this situation.