Thread: I'll support Idzik's decision on Rex...Geno...and the future course for our NYJ

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

I'll support Idzik's decision on Rex...Geno...and the future course for our NYJ

I said in another thread that if Idzik fired Rex he would most likely replace him with either Bevell or Whisenhunt. He has ties to both of them.

I also said the litmus test for keeping or firing Rex is probably hinged on the fate of Geno as 2014 QB NYJ.

If the Jets decided to move in another direction from Geno and use their #1 pick on a QB. Then Rex would probably be fired. And the new QB would then be entrusted to a new HC and CS.

But if Idzik and the Jets brain trust feel Geno can make significant improvement this offseason. Then they will move forward with him. And therefore not use their #1 pick on a new QB. Instead they would use that pick to start repairing the offense. Giving Mornhinweg playmakers at WR-TE, and upgrade the OL. And Lee as QB coach would continue to work with Geno on his 3 and 5 step footwork and throwing mechanics. David Garrard was asked by the Jets if he wanted to come back next season. And Garrard said it was really for him continuing to be a mentor for Geno, and not really for any game action. And I agree with him. To me that request is an indication that Idzik and the rest of the Jets decision makers will commit 2014 to the further development of Geno.

Now can Idzik fire Rex and still see Geno as his guy for QB in 2014? Yes he can. But it would be risky. Anytime you give a young struggling QB like Geno a new OC...with a new playbook and offensive philosophy to learn. Then give Geno a new QB coach with different teaching methods. You are more likely to be pulling the rug out from under Geno...and messing with his head. Geno came from a simple shotgun offense. And was not ready made to smoothly slip into operating an NFL Pro type offense. From the start everyone of those Jets decision makers knew it was going to take some time. So for me...moving in another direction with a new HC-CS to continue Geno's development...is not a good idea.

But Idzik just might go in that other direction from Rex and MM-Lee. And still commit to Geno as 2014 choice for QB. In that case maybe it would be Bevell more so then Whisenhunt to replace Rex, because of what he's done for the Seahawks Wilson's development into a quality NFL QB. But it also could be Whisenhunt. Cause both Rod Graves...Idzik's trusted right hand man...and Idzik were both there in Arizona, the year Whisenhunt took the Cards to the Supe. In either case...these two known quantities probably have the inside track over lesser known individuals, to replace Rex. JMO.

Whatever Idzik decides to do I'll give him my support. He was hired to be GM NYJ. And he has a right to do things his way. To use his vision and ideas to get our NYJ a Lombardi Trophy. He should be allowed to succeed or fail on his own terms.

If Idzik tells Woody he wants to move on from Rex with another HC. Then Woody should comply. And let Idzik move forward in another direction. If Idzik wants to continue the rebuild with Rex-MM-Lee intact...with Geno as QB in 2014...let him do it.

We should all know by now...that media hysteria or the desperate rants of frustrated fans won't sway Idzik's judgement. He's going to do things his way...period.

We'll get answers on what Idzik wants to do probably right after the gun is fired to end the regular season in Week#17

Whatever Idzik decides...I'll support him...IMO...you should too.
    Last edited by GreenReaper; 12-18-2013 at 11:35 AM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    We still don't know how good a talent evaluator Idzik is. He needs to prove himself with a great offensive draft this year. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt for now but the jury is out on this guy

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good to know he has your support.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsCrazey View Post
    We still don't know how good a talent evaluator Idzik is. He needs to prove himself with a great offensive draft this year. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt for now but the jury is out on this guy
    Well...the one year honeymoon is over for sure. This year is going to be the make or break year for Idzik. With decisions on HC-CS...Geno...FA...Draft. If he screws up and the team moves backwards instead or forward in 2014...I'll be all over him. But for now moving forward...he has my support.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenReaper View Post
    Well...the one year honeymoon is over for sure. This year is going to be the make or break year for Idzik. With decisions on HC-CS...Geno...FA...Draft. If he screws up and the team moves backwards instead or forward in 2014...I'll be all over him. But for now moving forward...he has my support.
    Make or break on a GM in year 2? I think you need to get a grip.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I know we are an instant gratification society but the work of a GM is always measured over a longer timescale than anyone else in the organization. This is especially true if the GM inherited a roster and salary cap mess as this one did. Tanny got seven years. Idzik gets at least five with an "are we headed in the right direction?" check after year 3 IMO.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I said in another thread that if Idzik fired Rex he would most likely replace him with either Bevell or Whisenhunt. He has ties to both of them.

I also said the litmus test for keeping or firing Rex is probably hinged on the fate of Geno as 2014 QB NYJ.

If the Jets decided to move in another direction from Geno and use their #1 pick on a QB. Then Rex would probably be fired. And the new QB would then be entrusted to a new HC and CS.

But if Idzik and the Jets brain trust feel Geno can make significant improvement this offseason. Then they will move forward with him. And therefore not use their #1 pick on a new QB. Instead they would use that pick to start repairing the offense. Giving Mornhinweg playmakers at WR-TE, and upgrade the OL. And Lee as QB coach would continue to work with Geno on his 3 and 5 step footwork and throwing mechanics. David Garrard was asked by the Jets if he wanted to come back next season. And Garrard said it was really for him continuing to be a mentor for Geno, and not really for any game action. And I agree with him. To me that request is an indication that Idzik and the rest of the Jets decision makers will commit 2014 to the further development of Geno.

Now can Idzik fire Rex and still see Geno as his guy for QB in 2014? Yes he can. But it would be risky. Anytime you give a young struggling QB like Geno a new OC...with a new playbook and offensive philosophy to learn. Then give Geno a new QB coach with different teaching methods. You are more likely to be pulling the rug out from under Geno...and messing with his head. Geno came from a simple shotgun offense. And was not ready made to smoothly slip into operating an NFL Pro type offense. From the start everyone of those Jets decision makers knew it was going to take some time. So for me...moving in another direction with a new HC-CS to continue Geno's development...is not a good idea.

But Idzik just might go in that other direction from Rex and MM-Lee. And still commit to Geno as 2014 choice for QB. In that case maybe it would be Bevell more so then Whisenhunt to replace Rex, because of what he's done for the Seahawks Wilson's development into a quality NFL QB. But it also could be Whisenhunt. Cause both Rod Graves...Idzik's trusted right hand man...and Idzik were both there in Arizona, the year Whisenhunt took the Cards to the Supe. In either case...these two known quantities probably have the inside track over lesser known individuals, to replace Rex. JMO.

Whatever Idzik decides to do I'll give him my support. He was hired to be GM NYJ. And he has a right to do things his way. To use his vision and ideas to get our NYJ a Lombardi Trophy. He should be allowed to succeed or fail on his own terms.

If Idzik tells Woody he wants to move on from Rex with another HC. Then Woody should comply. And let Idzik move forward in another direction. If Idzik wants to continue the rebuild with Rex-MM-Lee intact...with Geno as QB in 2014...let him do it.

We should all know by now...that media hysteria or the desperate rants of frustrated fans won't sway Idzik's judgement. He's going to do things his way...period.

We'll get answers on what Idzik wants to do probably right after the gun is fired to end the regular season in Week#17

Whatever Idzik decides...I'll support him...IMO...you should too.
    Good post. I'm a Rex supporter but if Izdik wants a change of direction or more truthfully - his own picked guy like most GMs... I will fully support Izdik.. As long as he doesn't F it up while Rex goes on to a better situation.. I'm optimistic Izdik will put a very competitive team together by 2015.. Next yrs roster can only get better.. My fear is Izdik will draft and sign playmakers on O and O will improve.. With Rex gone D will fall back to middle of pack or worse.. Can see jets having 15 ranked O at best, unless we draft another qb and actually get lucky for once and he becomes elite.. Geno will never be elite but he could be better than average.. Can also see the d falling back to the 15-20 range with a O minded HC.. Unless we can find a good DC.. Not easy these days..

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 10PennyToColes87 View Post
    Good to know he has your support.
    wtf is the point of a post like this?

The op clearly made an effort with his post and your smarmy response is self serving at best.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetswin View Post
    wtf is the point of a post like this?

The op clearly made an effort with his post and your smarmy response is self serving at best.
    Original post was solid but the thread title comes off as a little odd.

Cranky today?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsCrazey View Post
    Agree. We know nothing about how good Idzik really is at anything related to be a GM. He's never done it before, and hasn't done much yet here that's improved the team. He should get neither the benefit of the doubt nor whatever is the opposite of that.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by EM31 View Post
    Original post was solid but the thread title comes off as a little odd.

Cranky today?
    lol, yeah I got a miserable cold...I'm that easy to read?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetswin View Post
    lol, yeah I got a miserable cold...I'm that easy to read?
    So you match a "smarmy" response with one filled with vitriol. Feel better soon.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is the key part of your post. If Idzik is actually making the decision, then I can live with it either way. But I highly doubt Woody lets him fire Rex. There is a reason Idzik wasn't on anyone's radar as a GM candidate. No one was considering him, but he was sought out by a weak owner who wanted a Yes man. Now he is an NFL GM and other jobs will be open to him if he even does a halfway decent job over the next couple of years.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    Izdik isn't going to decide whether he's using our 1st round pick on a QB until it's the Jets turn to pick. You can go into a draft thinking that you like a QB prospect, but you don't know how the board will fall until draft day. Also, he'll want to see everyone's pro day and the combine. Izdik has to decide on Rex right when the season ends but not on whether we'll take a QB

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I will support whatever Idzik wants to do....all of the back and forth banter has given me a headache....

I see both sides of the argument when it comes to Rex.....Whatever Idzik wants to do is fine with me......If he wants to give Rex one final shot that's ok....if he wants to fire Rex, that's okay too at this point...He just better bring in the right guy because I'm ****ing tired of the coaching carousel....

Idzik is the GM. The team should be molded in his vision. The call needs to be his when it comes to Rex, and quite frankly, none of us know what he is thinking. Not ME, not YOU, not Clayton....no one knows what is on his mind so we just have to wait and see what happens.....a lot of Rex haters who are certain he's a goner might be shocked if he gets one more year....and then we will see the "fire Idzik" threads all over the place all offseason from the peanut gallery......

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    1. Do Fans really have a choice? Sure, we can "not support" a move.......and?

2. Does a lack of support mean anything? Wins/Losses, thats what any new person will be judged by.

3. End of the day, only opinion that matters.....Idzik (and Woody).

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    Izdik isn't going to decide whether he's using our 1st round pick on a QB until it's the Jets turn to pick. You can go into a draft thinking that you like a QB prospect, but you don't know how the board will fall until draft day. Also, he'll want to see everyone's pro day and the combine. Izdik has to decide on Rex right when the season ends but not on whether we'll take a QB
    Idzik already knows whether or not he wants to proceed with Geno at QB for next season... If an opportunity falls in his lap or a trade offers itself and he planned to keep Geno all along, that's just the way the cards fell. If he already feels Geno will not pan out, he is going to actively pursue obtaining a QB in FA or via the draft. Basically, he doesn't know the specifics but he knows whether he wants to give Geno another opportunity. I'd say that is what OP is referring to, not that I agree with it but I can see the logic...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by EM31 View Post
    I know we are an instant gratification society but the work of a GM is always measured over a longer timescale than anyone else in the organization. This is especially true if the GM inherited a roster and salary cap mess as this one did. Tanny got seven years. Idzik gets at least five with an "are we headed in the right direction?" check after year 3 IMO.
    U probably right...checkup after 3 years. But...

Knowing Woody...the media and this fanbase...if Jets don't make the playoffs by 2015...all hell will probably break loose. Especially if Rex was fired and replaced with a Bevell or Whisenhunt. That would make it five years in a row and still no playoffs. I could see it now..."Rex gave us two AFCCGs...what has Idzik given us?"

Fair or not...that is what usually happens here. It's allways the Circle Jerk Dance here in JetLand.

I'm with you though...I'd give him 3-4 more years.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I trust Idzik in the sense that its his job to be our GM, but beyond that what has he done in his first year that signals he's a brilliant GM that can deliver a competitive team year after year? Nothing.

His first draft netted Sheldon Richardson and then a bunch of guys (including our #1 overall pick) who shouldn't have been or weren't on the field this season.

Our UDFA signings netted no starters or emerging talents on O or D.

Ivory was a good trade (but we still traded a draft pick) but Goodson was a complete bust, and Zach Sudfeld cost us a game in Carolina.

Bringing Calvin Pace back for a near minimum contract was an obvious move.

Anyway, the point is that while making an Idzik decision after less than 1 full season is premature - but I'd have liked to have seen something better than what we saw from the man in 2013.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    So far Idzik is 2 for 20 on talent evaluation with the Jets, Milliner and Geno are awful, Milliner can still be good, but most of the free agent signings and draft choices minus Richarson were terrible.