Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rex won more games with this team than 90% of coaches in the league now would ..

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was on the fence with Rex but I've been pushed over the side.

He needs to go.

Thanks for WHOOP-STOMPING The Pasts* asses, Rex. <3

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    I like Rex the person, but he's really shown zero growth as a HC.

What did we hear all offseason?

"I want an offense that will match our aggressiveness on defense"

And what does he do about 6-7 games into the season? Stick his f*cking paws all over the offense again, reverting back to the ultra-conservative "ground & pound" approach. And then about a week ago, publicly admits that was the wrong decision. LOL

The guy can't help himself. He wants to coach football like it's 1982.

Neither Sanchez or Geno were viewed as "gamemanager" QB's coming out of college, but that's the role that Rex wanted to force them into.

At this point, I'm totally convinced that regardless of the QB or OC that we bring in...Rex will eventually just neuter the hell out of them.

There comes a point where it's best for both parties to go their seperate ways, and I think we've reached that point.
    Having a QB who is leading the NFL in turnovers will make even the most resolute coach blink when it comes to a vow to be more aggressive. He tried the same thing with Sanchez in 2011 and saw similar results. Let's see what happens if he can get a QB who can be aggressive without completely undermining the whole team.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think Rex would have to take over a team that already has a developed QB and offense to have any chance to succeed as a HC.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    (trying all caps to see if it helps reach people)

IT'S THE THIRD STRAIGHT YEAR WHERE THE JETS FOUND THEMSELVES SEEDED IN THE PLAYOFFS AND LET IT SLIP AWAY WITH THREE STRAIGHT LOSSES. THREE - IN A ROW! MOST OF THOSE LOSSES WERE NOT EVEN CLOSE!
    2013!
    2012!
    2011!

keyword for future reference: mass hysteria

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

And what does he do about 6-7 games into the season? Stick his f*cking paws all over the offense again, reverting back to the ultra-conservative "ground & pound" approach. And then about a week ago, publicly admits that was the wrong decision. LOL

Neither Sanchez or Geno were viewed as "gamemanager" QB's coming out of college, but that's the role that Rex wanted to force them into.

At this point, I'm totally convinced that regardless of the QB or OC that we bring in...Rex will eventually just neuter the hell out of them.

There comes a point where it's best for both parties to go their seperate ways, and I think we've reached that point.
    Rex started the season with the offense doing everything he said he wanted it to so even with a rookie QB, then that rookie QB struggled and began giving games away. That's when the philosophy changed, not because Rex can't help himself. If this were the case we would be hearing about how MM and Lee are lot happy about Rex smothering the offense, there has been no such act, just media crap and fan outrage.

Once our damn QB position is stabilized, a Rex coached team is going to take off.

i think he has grown as a head coach, I think he's learned how to better deal with the media, I think he's improved in the area of creating competition and has boosted his coaching staff, especially on offense to develop players. Geno has grown the last two weeks, I think things could be starting to click.

i think Rex deserves one more year with the resources Idzik will have to improve the team.

With almost every option out their, we start all over from ground up.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Well said.

I like Rex, I think it is time to move on though. It is proven he will not allow a young QB to grow. We would have to go 1-15 and draft a can't miss prospect who plays well from day 1 for this to work out. His defenses won't allow that to happen so it just isn't in the cards.

Wish him nothing but the best wherever he goes, unless it is MIA or NE as a DC...

Houston would be an ideal job for him also and could even be a HC gig...

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysGreenAlwaysWhite View Post
    Well said.

I like Rex, I think it is time to move on though. It is proven he will not allow a young QB to grow. We would have to go 1-15 and draft a can't miss prospect who plays well from day 1 for this to work out. His defenses won't allow that to happen so it just isn't in the cards.

Wish him nothing but the best wherever he goes, unless it is MIA or NE as a DC...

Houston would be an ideal job for him also and could even be a HC gig...
    Oh please, stop with the "Rex doesn't let QBs grow".

We got Marty Morningwhig and an attacking offense. We tried that the first 4 games and didn't work. Hell, I remember people crying after the NE game in week 2 that we should run the ball more.

Give Rex a competent QB that doesn't turn the ball over and sustain drives and the Jets will be good. But when you're starting fricken Sanchez, McElroy, and Smith you get what is given to you.

Here's a nice fact, Geno has thrown only 5 more TDs to his WRs than TDs to the defense. Give me a HC that can survive that.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Bandit View Post

We got Marty Morningwhig and an attacking offense. We tried that the first 4 games and didn't work. Hell, I remember people crying after the NE game in week 2 that we should run the ball more.

Give Rex a competent QB that doesn't turn the ball over and sustain drives and the Jets will be good. But when you're starting fricken Sanchez, McElroy, and Smith you get what is given to you.

Here's a nice fact, Geno has thrown only 5 more TDs to his WRs than TDs to the defense. Give me a HC that can survive that.
    Okay, let's try this... Give me a HC that hasn't had his hand in multiple draft picks that led us down this road, two of which are QB's you named that he's had to ''suffer'' through and attempt to overcome. One was a FB who couldn't block, run or catch... One was a pet project WR for his bestie QB...

We have 3 1st round draft pick corners and a dominant DL yet we yield a bottom ranked pass D...

Clock management is still an issue...

The challenge flags I've seen leave his pocket are laughable at best...

I'm as optimistic as they come but when grading Rex as the HC of the NYJ, he's failed here. Period.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Bandit View Post

Apparently every head coach other than Rex can or a college offensive minded coach can turn this entire franchise around.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Promising an argument on an unprovable hypothetical never works. We have no idea what other coaches would do in this scenario.

That said, the positive for Rex is that his teams have gone 6-10 and likely 7-9 this year with the worst QB play in the NFL.

The negative is that even after 5 years Rex still acts as a DC first and not a HC.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    Rex started the season with the offense doing everything he said he wanted it to so even with a rookie QB, then that rookie QB struggled and began giving games away. That's when the philosophy changed, not because Rex can't help himself. If this were the case we would be hearing about how MM and Lee are lot happy about Rex smothering the offense, there has been no such act, just media crap and fan outrage.

Once our damn QB position is stabilized, a Rex coached team is going to take off.

i think he has grown as a head coach, I think he's learned how to better deal with the media, I think he's improved in the area of creating competition and has boosted his coaching staff, especially on offense to develop players. Geno has grown the last two weeks, I think things could be starting to click.

i think Rex deserves one more year with the resources Idzik will have to improve the team.

You realize that we will have been having this "one more year" discussion for more than one more year if your advice is adopted.

Just sayin'

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Five years past thus far.

So when can we expect this "QB position stablized" to happen, exactly? Year six? Year ten? Year fifteen?

Can you give us a timeline on when this glorious event will transpire, because it feels like we've heard this exact same line for the past five years, as our O has gotten worse, and worse, and worse, and the QB position less reliable, less accountable, and less productive each passing year.

At what point does the HEad Coach bear responsabillity for being totally unable to stabalize the QB position, in your view Ray?

I'd also ask, mostly because I am curious, but who was the last Jets Coach you actively wanted fired/replaced? Thanks.
    Last edited by Warfish; 12-18-2013 at 10:04 AM.

Board Administrator
    JI Founder & President

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by LadainianIMnotDONE View Post
    And you guys want him gone? Oh cause he played Ed Reed? How many coaches play guys who they have a great respect for or have "their guys" ... Bellichick stuck with Branch longer than he should, Cowher did it with a couple of guys, Tomlin's still doing it and he has a ring, and the list goes on and on. Parcells would always bring in his guys wherever he went. At the end of the day Rex got more out of this team than most can get and with what talent? This team's talent is D level at best. We have a TERRIBLE roster. San Fran sucked with time management the last couple of years and did the Ravens last year and they won a superbowl. We see these flaws all over. Coaches have flaws just like players even the one's that win the superbowl check the New York Giants for christ sakes.

If the Giants reacted like their fanbase wanted them to after 2010 after they blew the division on terrible coaching ALL over losing games at the end of the season and blowing a huge 20 point lead against Philly in 1 quarter then Coughlin doesn't come back the next year and the Giants likely don't win a superbowl. Maybe the Giants upper management realized it didn't fall on the coaches and that the players were as much to blame if not more. Our PLAYERS aren't as good as other Team's players. This is why we are where we are. I think most people need to start thinking a million diff moves could have changes this season. Wake up people ... Rex got a lot out of this team and for better or worse he gutted it out with Dee knowing its for this franchise's benefit in the future and not his short term benefit. Give Rex another year, hope Geno develops, bring in a REAL QB with the money we save from Sanchez that can challenge Geno or make him sit, sign some guys, draft some offensive skill players, let Rex plug the holes defensively however he can ... Coples, Wilk, Sheldon next year 1 more year with development who the hell knows.
    Excellent post

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    Five years past thus far.

So when can we expect this "QB position stablized" to happen, exactly? Year six? Year ten? Year fifteen?

Can you give us a timeline on when this glorious event will transpire, because it feels like we've heard this exact same line for the past five years, as our O has gotten worse, and worse, and worse, and the QB position less reliable, less accountable, and less productive each passing year.

At what point does the HEad Coach bear responsabillity for being totally unable to stabalize the QB position, in your view Ray?

I'd also ask, mostly because I am curious, but who was the last Jets Coach you actively wanted fired/replaced? Thanks.
    Lol man you understand football at all? You do realize 1st round busts qbs happen frequently in NFL not just to jets? Especially 1 who only played 1 full college season among college allstars.. I admit we wasted entirely too long with Sanchez.. MT tied himself to mark with unwarranted contract extension with practically guarantee no cut clause.. Now your impatient because a 2nd round rookie qb pick little O talent around isn't playing well? Ha just because mark was a bust doesn't mean we are going to get lucky and select a Russell Wilson.. Some fans crack me up, because mark was so terrible in his 4th yr they refuse to be even the slightest patient with a rookie qb.. Glad some of you aren't the gm..

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    Rex isn't as bad as people make him out to be. He's actually a good coach - but he has neglected the offense and it shows. The Sanchez pick is contributing to the team's yearly demise as well. If Rex stays, this draft has to be 80% offense. Must. At least. AND, you have to draft a QB and sign a veteran. If Geno starts, hey - he's a new improved QB from this year.

Leading the league in turnovers the last 3 years (total) doesn't help Rex's case as well. What's our turnover differential during that span? The fact that the Jets didn't have a 2-14 during that time is amazing to me.
    There needs to be more blame elsewhere as well for the poor drafting of offensive players. I know 1st round picks have been defense but F'n A, Jets still drafted more offensive players overall and all we have to count for is a slot guy in Kerley. It's absolutely pathetic. Idzik needs to fix this asap. Whether it's coaches or scouts or whoever.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisjets23 View Post
    I think Rex would have to take over a team that already has a developed QB and offense to have any chance to succeed as a HC.
    So would most coaches in the NFL.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't consider Rex simply refraining from guaranteeing Superbowls as some sort of exponential growth as a HC.

And Rex deciding to go with an ultra-conservative approach on offense did absolutely nothing to minimize turnovers. If anything, it just exasperated the problem.

When we were being aggressive, Geno would still turn the ball over. But there was also the threat of him beating a defense for a long gain or score with his arm. He was the #1 rated QB in the league on throws of 20 yards or more through the first 6-7 weeks of the season.

When you go with a conservative dink and dunk approach, you have to constantly rely on sustaining these 15 play drives which just further increases the risk of a turnover unless you have a very cerebral QB behind center.
    Last edited by Untouchable; 12-18-2013 at 11:10 AM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Did Sooth really close the other thread because others disagreed with his opinion?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 10PennyToColes87 View Post
    Did Sooth really close the other thread because others disagreed with his opinion?
    LOL...yes it looks that way.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    LOL...yes it looks that way.
    Wow.