Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rex can't be the only defensive genius that can compile these numbers

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Rex can't be the only defensive genius that can compile these numbers

From Randy Langes article:

2. The Pass Defense We've all heard the pro football aphorism "Stop the run, then get after the pass." That didn't work as usual with the 2013 Jets.
    Our run defense has been among the best in the league all year. We spent six straight weeks as No. 1 in rush yards allowed/game, and even though we've slipped to No. 3 this week, we're still No. 1 with 3.2 yards allowed/carry.
    Yet the pass rush off of that, while much improved over last season, has had its ups and downs. And the pass coverage off of that has suffered. It may have been the over-the-top longballs of Tennessee, Pittsburgh and Baltimore, or the shorter YAC variety of Miami and most recently Carolina.
    But the upshot is that we've allowed 48 pass plays of 20 yards this season. If that rate of 3.4 big pass plays per game holds up the rest of the way, it would be the highest rate by a Jets defense since the 3.9 big pass plays per game allowed by the 1989 defense.
    3. The Turnovers This goes without saying. Smith has to cut back on interceptions, which will then reduce the pick-sixes.
    But the defense also has to do more. Our eight interceptions tote out to 31st in the league in INT rate. And our two opponents' fumble recoveries are almost off the charts. Since 1960, the fewest fumble recoveries in a season is three, registered by four different teams.
    The combination puts us at minus-19 in turnover margin for the season, last in the league with two weeks to go. We've been at minus-20 only two other weeks in franchise history, after 14 games in 1976 and after 16 games in '96.

These are historically bad numbers involving our defense regarding pass defense & turnovers! Rex is here for 1 reason, his defensive coaching! Not only has he failed as a HC overall regarding game management, player development. The Rex lovers keep arguing that us fans that want him out of here are making emotional decisions based on unrealistic expectations.
    It's just not true. Rex has shown no growth, still hasn't learned from his mistakes, (Derrick Mason >Ed Reed), running the ball vs the Saints when he should have taken a knee, pulling back the reins on Geno & MM under the guise that his defense could hold up or get TOs.
    Numerous idiotic challenges because he's MAD. Burning Time outs recklously.
    Leading the league in Turnovers over the last 3 years. Leading the league in 2013 in presnap penalties. Rex is not a detail guy. A headcoach has to be a detail guy, just watch Harbaughs game management & then look at Rex huffing & puffing, throwing his headset, but accomplishing nothing, he's not a strategist, he's not a quick thinker.
    Sure, he can come up with a defensive game plan once in awhile like he did vs Brady in 2010, but the Patriots have not won a Super Bowl in 10 years so he's not the only coach that has stymied Tom Brady.
    We have fans here that make losing Rex Ryan equivalent to losing Vince Lombardi for gods sake.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    he did get us to 2 afc championship game loses, that should give rex as much time to be a HC here for the jets.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    4 top 10 defenses in 5 years. The prior 20 years we had a total of 4 top 10 defenses. But why let facts get in the way of your drivel. Lets also not leave out that our offense is 2nd worst in the league in scoring, the worst in plays per possession and a turnover machine. I'm sure in your heads none of that contributes to putting added stress on the defense. We're also the 7th youngest team in the league with 6 new starters on defense. But please keep starting threads about the same thing over and over and over.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    So rex gets all the credit for the defense and non of the blame for the offense (even though we have changed OCs 3 times) - Got it!

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    The defense has given up tds this year of 39,33,77,55,51,34,43,66,31,63,48,72 yards. Those are tds, not just big plays. Rex has never figured out offense and his bellcow defense has been horribly shredded this year with the big play.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    With the talent we've stockpiled on the DL, I am inclined to believe that our defense would be pretty good no matter who's the head coach. If Rex was fielding a top 5 defense year in and year out, I could see the argument for keeping him. But he's not. I'll give him 2009 - that was a great coaching job. 2010 was really hit or miss, and the last three years we've been pedestrian.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by shuler82 View Post
    With the talent we've stockpiled on the DL, I am inclined to believe that our defense would be pretty good no matter who's the head coach. If Rex was fielding a top 5 defense year in and year out, I could see the argument for keeping him. But he's not. I'll give him 2009 - that was a great coaching job. 2010 was really hit or miss, and the last three years we've been pedestrian.
    right on, last yr run defense sucked. Add damon harrison as a starter and sheldon to the line, now run defense is awesome. If rex was such a genius we could be get by with average players on D and let his schemes pick up the slack. Instead we spend almost every first round pick on a CB or DL and ignore the offense. How can anyone be surprised about how the team looks now?

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Listen...I know most of you don't like Rex and so you'll make up any excuse not to keep him. When the offense was clicking MM is a genius, when it's bad it's Rex's fault. That's the thinking here apparently. This idea that all great Head Coaches coach and teach both sides of the ball is ridiculous and so untrue it's unbelievable how many people perpetuate the myth. Find me one article where Sean Payton is either given credit for a great defense or blamed for a bad defense. You won't find one. He doesn't coach the defensive side of the ball. He probably knows about as much about defense as Rex does about offense. The only thing you can kill Rex on was his decision to hire Sparano. He inherited Schotty and MM is still up in the air. Even if Rex had a lot of say in the drafting process in the first round the previous 5 years he has hit big on them. Those first round draft picks are the only reason this team has been any good this year and they have laid a foundation for defensive success for the next 5 years.

Rex is not an offensive coach and he never will be. His job is to oversee the whole team. That doesn't mean he coaches the QB's and the offensive linemen. It means that he hires the right people to be able to do those things. He also doesn't sign free agents, that's the GM's job. And the lack of talent on offense the last 3 years has been ridiculous. And he hasn't had any talent at QB since he's been here. In the 78 games he's coached the QB's have thrown 94 interceptions. 94! And probably between 20-25 lost fumbles by the QB's in that same span. Not to mention that I would guess 15-20 of those interceptions were returned for TD's. It's also the reason why our points allowed per game are always skewed. The offense turning the ball over and giving short fields to the other teams or the other team scoring on a turnover has Thats 115 turnovers in 78 games! All that said he has a 40-38 record with a 4-2 record in the playoffs. Now mind you that the Jets organization only has 12 playoff wins in it's entire history!

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by barkus View Post
    right on, last yr run defense sucked. Add damon harrison as a starter and sheldon to the line, now run defense is awesome. If rex was such a genius we could be get by with average players on D and let his schemes pick up the slack. Instead we spend almost every first round pick on a CB or DL and ignore the offense. How can anyone be surprised about how the team looks now?
    How well do you think Sean Payton's offensive scheme would look without Brees, or Denver without Manning, or GB without Rodgers. If you haven't noticed, the good offensive teams in this league have stars either at QB or surrounding an above average QB (Alex Smith). Of course if you take a bunch of average players and stick them all together you will get an average performance no matter who the coach is. If you gave Sean Payton our offensive players and gave Rex the Saints offensive players they would be 4-10 and we would be 10-4. Some of you guys don't live in reality. If you gave Rex a great QB (Manning, Rodgers, Brees, Brady) then do you think we would have a bad offensive team just b/c Rex is the coach? Or do you think our offense would be much better b/c of the personnel? Our team is inept on offense b/c our players are not good, not b/c of Rex. The Jets already fired the architect of the previous 4 draft before Idzik, they've moved on from that. If they fire Rex it will be b/c of performance on the field. And 6 wins, so far, from a team that I'm sure the Jets brass knew weren't very good and most projected to win 4 games is pretty good in my opinion. Woody and Idzik have gone out of their way to praise Rex this year. That says a lot about what the front office thinks of him.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    The defense has given up tds this year of 39,33,77,55,51,34,43,66,31,63,48,72 yards. Those are tds, not just big plays. Rex has never figured out offense and his bellcow defense has been horribly shredded this year with the big play.
    And the Rex apologists will lead you to believe that every one of those long TD's came after the defense had been on the field for 40+ minutes.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    The offense has been dismal and did have an affect on the D. to what extent, we just don't know. Im not sure you can quantify it. The D does have weaknesses, but is good enough to win a lot of the games if the O could of scored more points. I believe that you can have a great offense without having a great offensive minded head coach. That's what the coordinators are for.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsfanfromtheBURGH View Post
    The offense has been dismal and did have an affect on the D. to what extent, we just don't know. Im not sure you can quantify it. The D does have weaknesses, but is good enough to win a lot of the games if the O could of scored more points. I believe that you can have a great offense without having a great offensive minded head coach. That's what the coordinators are for.
    Yeah but when the HC tells the coordinators to scale back the offense because he's afraid of turnovers - how can you blame anything on the coordinator.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 56mehl56 View Post
    Yeah but when the HC tells the coordinators to scale back the offense because he's afraid of turnovers - how can you blame anything on the coordinator.
    I would say that more of a personnel problem. Wouldn't you?

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsfanfromtheBURGH View Post
    I would say that more of a personnel problem. Wouldn't you?
    No, don't you know that Rex is the reason the Jets turned the ball over 100 times in his 78 games here? Rex should be able to take udfa's and have a #1 defense, haven't you heard? The lack of offense is all on Rex, not the previous GM who ignored it or the bust of a QB who threw games away on a regular basis, it's all on Rex. That's what the Rex blamists would have you think anyway.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BradySmugglesPickles View Post
    No, don't you know that Rex is the reason the Jets turned the ball over 100 times in his 78 games here? Rex should be able to take udfa's and have a #1 defense, haven't you heard? The lack of offense is all on Rex, not the previous GM who ignored it or the bust of a QB who threw games away on a regular basis, it's all on Rex. That's what the Rex blamists would have you think anyway.
    How many of those turnovers were a direct result of 3rd and longs due to Rex's penchant for G&P and conservative offense when the offense he had sucked at running.

When the HC comes out and admits he's made mistakes by being too conservative on O - two different times , I'm sorry he's a big factor in the blame.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    And the Rex apologists will lead you to believe that every one of those long TD's came after the defense had been on the field for 40+ minutes.
    It might have something to do with a rookie corner, and a hobbled Cromartie. Who else is he going to play, Wison andd Walls.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GenoT View Post
    It might have something to do with a rookie corner, and a hobbled Cromartie. Who else is he going to play, Wison andd Walls.
    Cmon Rex is the genius , give the Cb's some help and stop leaving them one on one in coverage. But that's one of Rex's big faults his arrogance - no one's gonna throw over top of us now that we have Ed Reed. - really Rex !!!
    You have to admit you have a problem before you fix it, at least he's admitted it in regards to the O , I'm sure it will be a cold day in hell before his pride let's him admit he's screwed up on D.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdanNJ View Post
    he did get us to 2 afc championship game loses, that should give rex as much time to be a HC here for the jets.
    Keep trying to minimize those accomplishments, it comes off as funny and delusional.

Today's NFL will never see a team get to the championship game (going through both Brady and Peyton on the road in one year) with a garbage QB.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BradySmugglesPickles View Post
    4 top 10 defenses in 5 years. The prior 20 years we had a total of 4 top 10 defenses. But why let facts get in the way of your drivel. Lets also not leave out that our offense is 2nd worst in the league in scoring, the worst in plays per possession and a turnover machine. I'm sure in your heads none of that contributes to putting added stress on the defense. We're also the 7th youngest team in the league with 6 new starters on defense. But please keep starting threads about the same thing over and over and over.
    Defensive Rankings are based on Yards allowed. If you really care about meaningless stats like that then good for you.
    If you look at things that really matter like points allowed, forced turnovers and number of big plays allowed , our defense is pretty average.

Look I like Rex. I think he is a very good defensive mind, but he is replaceable. He is nothing special as a HC.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kennyo7 View Post
    Defensive Rankings are based on Yards allowed. If you really care about meaningless stats like that then good for you.
    If you look at things that really matter like points allowed, forced turnovers and number of big plays allowed , our defense is pretty average.

Look I like Rex. I think he is a very good defensive mind, but he is replaceable. He is nothing special as a HC.
    Our offense is so bad, we punt from within our 20 a LOT. The opponent gets the ball on the 50, thus in a worst case scenario, we give up 50 yards.

THAT is why we seem to give up fewer yards than others but it is misleading.