Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Brian Winters ~ ~ ~

Hall Of Fame

Cool Brian Winters ~ ~ ~

If one was to assess John Idzik's first year on the job, I think one of the areas where he would be most open to criticism would be his handling of the left guard position. The Jets did enter last offseason with minimal cap space, but starting caliber guards can be had for relative pennies. Idzik unfortunately did not address the position adequately. The team tried to have Vladimir Ducasse start the year. Ducasse failed, and the Jets were forced to insert their third round pick into the lineup before he was ready.

When I watch Brian Winters try to play in the NFL as a rookie, I think of somebody trying to drink water out of a fire hydrant. Everything was happening faster and with greater intensity than he was used to seeing. It was a real struggle for the rookie. Winters ranked among the top half of the league in pressures allowed pass blocking, no small feet considering he was on the bench for a quarter of the season. He was otherwise frequently pushed around and fooled by defensive fronts.

I don't want to get too hard on Winters, though. Getting a third round rookie to play well is a lot to ask. We'll get to it when we talk about Ducasse, but I actually thought Winters was a tad better, and I do think there is evidence to back this up. The Jets were going to get really bad play at the position no matter what they did so they at least got reps for the guy with upside in the future.

I do think Winters has good potential. But heading into next year I would like to see the Jets find a veteran insurance policy to compete with Winters for the starting job. If Winters improves, great. You have line depth for the first time in forever. If not, you will have the credible alternative that was lacking in 2013.

> http://www.ganggreennation.com/2014/...013-and-beyond

OL rarely do anything in there 1st 2 years. Winters looks to have potential just not sure he should have been playing that much over Vlad last year. He will improve.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    OL rarely do anything in there 1st 2 years. Winters looks to have potential just not sure he should have been playing that much over Vlad last year. He will improve.
    Source?

Lots of linemen start from day one and are adequate. It actually might be one of the easier positions to plug and play. ESPECIALLY guard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Note I'm fully for giving winters more time but "OL rarely do anything in there (sic) 1st 2 years" is a complete lie.

Winters was really the only option and the better one. Winters play was poor, no doubt. But at least he was not committing penalties left and right the way Vlad Ducasse did. That all by it's self is a victory. What you are failing to realize is that Winters can learn via trial by fire. He has upside and potential going into the future. Vlad's career is clearly dead, in fact it really never was.

Quote Originally Posted by Astoria View Post
    Note I'm fully for giving winters more time but "OL rarely do anything in there (sic) 1st 2 years" is a complete lie.

Not a lie at all even Brick and Mangold struggled 1st 2 years. Very very few OL do anything 1st 2 years that is fact.

Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    Winters was really the only option and the better one. Winters play was poor, no doubt. But at least he was not committing penalties left and right the way Vlad Ducasse did. That all by it's self is a victory. What you are failing to realize is that Winters can learn via trial by fire. He has upside and potential going into the future. Vlad's career is clearly dead, in fact it really never was.
    I agree with this in some ways. It was best for Winter but not best for the team though. Vlad as blah as he is was still the better player but not by much. They went long term I have no issues with that it was just a tough year for Winters. Kid shows a ton of skill he was thrown into a new position and told to go full speed too quick. I think with anther year his footwork and team work will be miles ahead of what we saw last year. By all account he isnt a big dummy like Vlad was so hopefully he picks things up quicker.

Jets need to sign Kevin Boothe or Jon Asomoah IN ADDITION to resigning Colon to a 1 year deal. Boothe will be the much cheaper option. Colon at LG, Boothe at RG and Winters can be the developmental understudy.

Hall Of Fame
    I agree with this in some ways. It was best for Winter but not best for the team though. Vlad as blah as he is was still the better player but not by much. They went long term I have no issues with that it was just a tough year for Winters. Kid shows a ton of skill he was thrown into a new position and told to go full speed too quick. I think with anther year his footwork and team work will be miles ahead of what we saw last year. By all account he isnt a big dummy like Vlad was so hopefully he picks things up quicker.
    i'm hoping he's a " quick study " and a " keeper "

cheers ~ ~

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Astoria View Post
    Source?

Lots of linemen start from day one and are adequate. It actually might be one of the easier positions to plug and play. ESPECIALLY guard.

You're leaving some important facts out. He never played guard before, came from a small school, and was injured most of training camp. Plug and play is a phrase you should use for veterans, not rookies having too overcome some of the hurdles I mentioned earlier.

Winters has the tools and I'm glad he went through his rookie jitters in an otherwise wasted season. I think we'll see a solid showing from him this year.

Winters was terrible last season. Did anybody here even watch the games?

He was the worst o-lineman I've ever seen in my life.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by RobR View Post
    You're leaving some important facts out. He never played guard before, came from a small school, and was injured most of training camp. Plug and play is a phrase you should use for veterans, not rookies having too overcome some of the hurdles I mentioned earlier.

Winters has the tools and I'm glad he went through his rookie jitters in an otherwise wasted season. I think we'll see a solid showing from him this year.
    Finally someone who knows what he is talking about! Some of these guys want instant gratification and refuse to allow a kid player to develop. Last year Idzik and Rex allowed many rookies to play and develop. We will be better off because of it. Winters stepped up his play in the last 4 games. I wonder if his critics even bothered to notice that fact!

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by The Schwartz View Post
    Winters was terrible last season. Did anybody here even watch the games?

He was the worst o-lineman I've ever seen in my life.
    duh you ever see Wayne Hunter, Adrian Clark play? Did you watch the last 4 games of last season? If so try to tell us what you saw to support your allegations. Thank you!

All League
    I would bring in a FA guard regardless. You need depth on the OL

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by BRONX JET View Post
    I'm guessing Vlad is the depth guy. He's dirt cheap, knows the system (I suppose) and might even have some long term upside (I suppose).

All Pro
    I think Winters made less glaring mistakes, but much less impact plays also. Really I think the biggest difference is that Winters didn't work as a unit with the line as well, so the collective line play suffered. It got better towards the end of the year, and we may reap the benefits this year, but I also notice them leaving Winters with no assignment a lot, where they would usually leave Mangold with no assignment, and let him find someone to block. A lot of the time Winters would find no one to block. Hopefully they can get Winters involved in more complicated schemes next year.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by LIJetsFan View Post
    I'm guessing Vlad is the depth guy. He's dirt cheap, knows the system (I suppose) and might even have some long term upside (I suppose).
    yup

Quote Originally Posted by BRONX JET View Post
    +1

Would be an enormous mistake to neglect the OL this off-season. Winters should be the depth guy not Vlad Suckasse.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    +1

Would be an enormous mistake to neglect the OL this off-season. Winters should be the depth guy not Vlad Suckasse.
    I guess that you have insider information that WINTERS has no talent. if so, please share with us. We are under the impression that the kid has talent but needed time to develop. Now you come along with obvious insider info. Please share.... Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jet View Post
    I guess that you have insider information that WINTERS has no talent. if so, please share with us. We are under the impression that the kid has talent but needed time to develop. Now you come along with obvious insider info. Please share.... Thanks
    Never said he didn't have talent I just don't think he's ready to be a full-time starter yet. I guess watching him be a turnstile last season didn't convince you.