Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 143

Thread: Why Does Idzik "Deserve" the right to pick his own Head Coach?

  1. #1
    All League
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    3,772
    Post Thanks / Like

    Why Does Idzik "Deserve" the right to pick his own Head Coach?

    Yes he is the GM, but he was a candidate that came out of nowhere and should be thankful that he was even offered the opportunity with the Jets.....He signed on in a unique situation where Rex was retained in the first place....He doesn't deserve the right to make a huge decision that could hurt us a lot and backfire, he is not the whole Jets organization

    If he really does fire Rex off of this season, Woody is a lot dumber than we all thought....Rex has answered the bell and "proved" himself....If the intention was to get rid of Rex all along, that is the biggest load of BS....Why wouldn't they have just cleaned house last offseason?? If they get rid of Rex now, this organization is really messed up from the top on down

    Almost every former player, big time analyst, and even respected posters on here can all agree that Rex deserves to stay.....Please do the right thing Woody

  2. #2
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    14,679
    Post Thanks / Like

  3. #3
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    6,092
    Post Thanks / Like
    Idzik is the GM ... They GM picks the HC and the Roster. simple as that.

  4. #4
    All League
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    3,772
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunnie View Post
    Idzik is the GM ... They GM picks the HC and the Roster. simple as that.
    Not always...sometimes coaches pick the players too and the GM is just the figurehead

    GMs almost never come along where a coach is already established and that happened so this is a weird situation

    Bottomline is Rex has exceeded expectations and the future looks bright....If the plan was to get rid of Rex all along, we are in more trouble than I thought

  5. #5
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    19,518
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    Perfect!!!

  6. #6
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    14,679
    Post Thanks / Like
    "YOU'RE GOING TO BE THE WORST TEAM EVER"

    *we end up being slightly less than mediocre*

    "HA! WE'RE NOT THE WORST! WE'RE NOT THE WORST! WE'RE NOT THE WORST!"

  7. #7
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    1,037
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    hahaha this hilarious.

  8. #8
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    628
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's really simple. It depends on what was promised him when he was hired. If you take a job and then they change the responsibilities on you, wouldn't that piss you off? Anyway, if Idzik isn't a complete dumb*** he'll realize that Rex has earned another year and firing him will just unleash one hell of a s**t storm. The media loves Rex. The fans love Rex. The players love Rex. It's an easy decision in my book.

  9. #9
    All League
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    3,772
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    "YOU'RE GOING TO BE THE WORST TEAM EVER"

    *we end up being slightly less than mediocre*

    "HA! WE'RE NOT THE WORST! WE'RE NOT THE WORST! WE'RE NOT THE WORST!"
    Why didn't they clean house last offseason then? What was the whole point in Rex coaching this year? Surely thy didn't think this roster with a rookie QB (Or Sanchez) was going to the playoffs....So what was the point of delaying it all

  10. #10
    All League
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    3,772
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Rico View Post
    It's really simple. It depends on what was promised him when he was hired. If you take a job and then they change the responsibilities on you, wouldn't that piss you off? Anyway, if Idzik isn't a complete dumb*** he'll realize that Rex has earned another year and firing him will just unleash one hell of a s**t storm. The media loves Rex. The fans love Rex. The players love Rex. It's an easy decision in my book.
    Basically

  11. #11
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    7,452
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree that it's a weird situation. If Rex is fired after the year he's had, it's clear Idzik never intended to keep him in the first place. If that's the case he should have fired him last year, instead of wasting a year which is essentially what will happen. What exactly could Rex have done to save his job, if he was actually coaching for his job? Looks like, there's nothing he could have done to save it. Problem is no one expected the team to do this well and now it's an awkward situation.
    Last edited by Vinny Testaverde's Niece; 12-24-2013 at 11:32 AM.

  12. #12
    All League
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    3,772
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    I agree that it's a weird situation. If Rex is fired after the year he's had, it's clear he never intended to keep him in the first place. If that's the case he should have fired him last year, instead of wasting a year which is essentially what will happen. What exactly could Rex have done to save his job, if was actually coaching for his job? Looks like, there's nothing he could have done to save it. Problem is no one expected the team to do this well and now it's an awkward situation.
    It's only awkward because they gambled that we would be awful and lost


    They can make up for it by doing the right thing and extending Rex

    The media, current, and former players all believe Rex is the right guy almost unanimously...

  13. #13
    All League
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,359
    Post Thanks / Like
    Some people talk like Idzik did the Jets a huge favor by accepting the GM job. Or that the was the only candidate willing to keep Rex as the HC. Are you people nuts? There are 32 GM jobs in the entire world. Every single GM opening is a golden opportunities, I don't care if its the Raiders or the Patriots. The Jets don't owe Idzik anything, and he doesn't have any reason to defy what the owner of the team ultimate wants. His job is to work the coaches to put together the best possible roster for this team, to help create a positive environment.

  14. #14
    All League
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    3,772
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Chupa View Post
    Some people talk like Idzik did the Jets a huge favor by accepting the GM job. Or that the was the only candidate willing to keep Rex as the HC. Are you people nuts? There are 32 GM jobs in the entire world. Every single GM opening is a golden opportunities, I don't care if its the Raiders or the Patriots.
    Exactly...Being the Jets GM with full control of the roster and having to "settle" with Rex as the HC is a top 20 position to be in for Idzik in his line of work he has chosen

  15. #15
    All League
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    2,845
    Post Thanks / Like
    He doesn't deserve it. It's like an unwritten rule. He has the right to fire rex if he feels. It doesn't matter if it's right or wrong. An argument can be made to keep or to fire rex. Anything that happens won't shock anyone, or at least shouldn't.

  16. #16
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    2,651
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    142
    GM is ultimately responsible for the operational performance of the team, and therefore should have control of all operational decisions, including who the coaches are.

  17. #17
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    6,919
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    Best post of the day.

  18. #18
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Madison, NJ
    Posts
    2,183
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've actually migrated to the Keep Rex camp, but are you serious with this? What makes Idzik think he can choose his own head coach? Aside from it being his job? I dunno

  19. #19
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    772
    Post Thanks / Like
    Because why should he hitch his entire future based on a coach he did NOT select. If Idzik believes that Rex is not the coach to lead this team to a championship, then he has every right to bring in his own coach.

  20. #20
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    6,111
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by King Koopa View Post
    Yes he is the GM, but he was a candidate that came out of nowhere and should be thankful that he was even offered the opportunity with the Jets.....He signed on in a unique situation where Rex was retained in the first place....He doesn't deserve the right to make a huge decision that could hurt us a lot and backfire, he is not the whole Jets organization

    If he really does fire Rex off of this season, Woody is a lot dumber than we all thought....Rex has answered the bell and "proved" himself....If the intention was to get rid of Rex all along, that is the biggest load of BS....Why wouldn't they have just cleaned house last offseason?? If they get rid of Rex now, this organization is really messed up from the top on down

    Almost every former player, big time analyst, and even respected posters on here can all agree that Rex deserves to stay.....Please do the right thing Woody
    Don't do this.....

    Each GM has the duty to build the football team they operate in THEIR own vision....of course they should have the right to pick a new coach if they see fit....blame Tannenbaum for this mess and Rex's limbo.....The writing was on the wall once Tanny was canned.....I still think Rex is a good coach, but he was at Idzik's mercy the day he was hired....Idzik took this year as an evaluation period...fielded a team with limited resources...and now he's set to rebuild this roster after 2 seasons of cap purging....he may or may not decide he needs a new coaching staff..

    Do I think Idzik should move from Rex?.....I honestly don't even know at this point....All I know is that this should be Idzik's decision to make....no one else's

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us