Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mike Tannenbaum and Eric Mangini deserve as much blame as Rex

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like

Mike Tannenbaum and Eric Mangini deserve as much blame as Rex

Rex is not Vince Lombardi, but the conception that Eric Mangini left Rex in a great situation is false. He left Rex a 1-2 year window, which Rex was able to capitalize on with a rookie QB.

Lets review

D' Brickashaw Ferguson

Nick Mangold

Kellen Clemens

Anthony Schlegel

Eric Smith

Brad Smith

Leon Washington (acquired from KC for Herm Edwards)

Jason Posciak

Drew Coleman

Titus Adams

Patrick Ramsey (acquired for a 2006 6th round pick)

Darrelle Revis ( acquired for 2007 1st, 2nd and 5th rd picks)

David Harris

Thomas Jones (acquired by swapping 2007 2nd rd picks)

Kevin Barlow (acquired in 2006 for 2007 4th rd pick)

Jacob Bender

Chansi Stuckey

Vernon Gholston

Dustin Keller

Kris Jenkins (acquired for 2008 3rd and 5th round picks)

Dwight Lowery

Erik Ainge

Marcus Henry

Nate Garner

Brett Favre (acquired in 2008 for 2009 3rd rd pick)

Lito Sheppard (acquired for 2009 5th rd pick)

Mark Sanchez (acquired for 2009 1st and 2nd rd picks and players Kenyon Coleman, Abram Elam, Brett Ratliff)

Shonn Greene (acquired for 2009 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 7th rd picks)

Matt Slauson

There you have it--Tannenbaum did not value mid/late round draft picks and it directly led to to dearth of talent that we now have.

The trades worked in a few instances-Revis for a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd-Jones for a 2nd round pick swap. Lets analyze the rest of them:

Kris Jenkins for a 3rd and 5th-Was great for a the first 10 games of 2008, but didn't help the future of our team
    Kevan Barlow for a 4th rounder-DISASTER
    Brett Favre for a 3rd rounder-Failure
    Lito Sheppard for a 5th rounder-Failure

Rex Drafts:

Brett Favre (acquired in 2008 for 2009 3rd rd pick)

Lito Sheppard (acquired for 2009 5th rd pick)

Mark Sanchez (acquired for 2009 1st and 2nd rd picks and players Kenyon Coleman, Abram Elam, Brett Ratliff)

Shonn Greene (acquired for 2009 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 7th rd picks)

Matt Slauson

Braylon Edwards (acquired in 2009 for 2010 3rd and 5th rd picks and Chansi Stuckey, Jason Trusnick)

Santonio Holmes (acquired for 2010 5th rd pick)

Kyle Wilson

Vlad Ducasse

Joe McKnight

John Conner

Muhammad Wilkerson

Antonio Cromartie (acquired in 2010 for 2011 2nd rd pick)

Kenrick Ellis

Bilal Powell

Jeremy Kerley

Greg McElroy

Scotty McKnight

Quinton Coples

Stephen Hill

Demario Davis

Josh Bush

Tim Tebow (acquired for 2012 4th rd pick and swap of 2012 6th rd pick for 7th rd pick)

Terrence Ganaway

Robert Griffin

Antonio Allen

Jordan White

Caleb Schlauderaff (acquired in 2011 for 2012 7th rd pick)

Trades:

Sanchez for 1st, 2nd, and scrubs--Failure
    Greene for 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 7th-TERRIBLE
    Cromartie for 2nd-Good player, but received a nice payday
    Tebow for a 4th-Disaster
    Edwards for 3rd/5th and scrubs-Its worth it-The Jets don't have two playoff runs without him.
    Holmes for 5th-I still say this was a good trade--We don't make it to AFC Championship Game without him. Mistake was paying him

Ok so lets count it--Mike Tannenbaum crapped away 17 DRAFT PICKS over his six years as GM. The only player that he traded a draft pick for that is currently on the Jets is Santonio Holmes and Antonio Cromartie.
    Last edited by JetFanMD; 12-24-2013 at 11:45 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    When you do not have a legit franchise QB the window is usually only one or two years if you are lucky enough to have one. The lack of depth on our roster is a direct result of all the picks we traded away over the years combined with the first and second round busts (Ghost, Sanchez, Ducasse, Hill). When you trade away picks the busts hurt even more. We currently have nothing to show for the 2008 and 2009 drafts.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    But they paid for their mistakes with their jobs

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    But they paid for their mistakes with their jobs
    /thread

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    First of all... It only takes 2-3 years to become legit again. So what's your point? Rex had way to much to do with the offensive regression. example Bengals.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Does this guy have 100 threads??

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    STOP STARTING THREADS !! You're terrible at it.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    dump this ****. what a moron. mangini did one heck of a job. without him we would not have those successful years after we hired rex. he put all that together, his drafts were excellent and he was great at developing players. the QB situation was bad, its not like when he came he had great QBs to work with, he had the same problem rex is having now

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DaBallhawk View Post
    dump this ****. what a moron. mangini did one heck of a job. without him we would not have those successful years after we hired rex. he put all that together, his drafts were excellent and he was great at developing players. the QB situation was bad, its not like when he came he had great QBs to work with, he had the same problem rex is having now
    QFT

EM was a good evaluator of talent - with the Gholston fiasco being his black eye. For the most part, this team had decent talent when Rex got here.

The Favre fiasco didn't help.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    All I want for Christmas is for JetFanMD to stop making threads.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    He had Chad,Kellen and Favre which was better then Rex had.. Wait you were a big Tebow fan yes Rex had him and wouldn't play him you must hate Rex..

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    QFT

EM was a good evaluator of talent - with the Gholston fiasco being his black eye. For the most part, this team had decent talent when Rex got here.

The Favre fiasco didn't help.
    To be fair we had no choice but to draft that chump. Nobody wanted him, nobody was gonna trade up for him, we just had to bite the bullet and pick him and hope for him to prove his critics wrong. If I remember correctly we were hoping for McFadden to fall into our laps. There was talk the Raiders would draft Gholston because of his impressive numbers and his athletic skills but they went with McFadden instead. While McFadden isn't exactly a hall of famer either he sure is/was a better player and would have helped us a lot more. But that 2008 draft class overall was just horrible. That 1st round was about the worst I've ever seen. So many busts and trades to the back of the 1st round. If you look at the top 10 picks I think 70% of them are busts. The only good picks were Matt Ryan and Chris Long. So I'd cut our FO some slack there, it was just a bad spot to be in with that pick.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    To be fair we had no choice but to draft that chump. Nobody wanted him, nobody was gonna trade up for him, we just had to bite the bullet and pick him and hope for him to prove his critics wrong. If I remember correctly we were hoping for McFadden to fall into our laps. There was talk the Raiders would draft Gholston because of his impressive numbers and his athletic skills but they went with McFadden instead. While McFadden isn't exactly a hall of famer either he sure is/was a better player and would have helped us a lot more. But that 2008 draft class overall was just horrible. That 1st round was about the worst I've ever seen. So many busts and trades to the back of the 1st round. If you look at the top 10 picks I think 70% of them are busts. The only good picks were Matt Ryan and Chris Long. So I'd cut our FO some slack there, it was just a bad spot to be in with that pick.
    I think they picked him because they believed BB wanted him a few picks later when they got Mayo.

I don't agree that they were forced to get him. Why are the Jets forced to draft a player they thought was crap?

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    I think Jake Long is a fine Tackle Mayo is a good LB and Darren McFadden is good when he's healthy which I agree isn't often..

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    I think they picked him because they believed BB wanted him a few picks later when they got Mayo.

I don't agree that they were forced to get him. Why are the Jets forced to draft a player they thought was crap?
    Didn't say they thought he was crap. But like with most busts, you kind of know there's a good chance that guy is gonna be a bust, but you still pick the guy and hope for the best. Darrius Heyward Bey & Troy Williamson are prime examples.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    I think Jake Long is a fine Tackle Mayo is a good LB and Darren McFadden is good when he's healthy which I agree isn't often..
    Long was good for a couple years, then Miami got rid of him, he's got some red flags. McFadden, same here, injury prone, one dimensional. Definitely not worthy of a top 5/10 pick. Mayo is a decent linebacker but considering he went in the top 10 I wouldn't say it was a good pick. Well maybe compared to who all the other chumps drafted in the top 10 but value wise I think he'd have been a good pick at around 20-25. Getting David Harris in the 2nd round was a good pick.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Long was good for a couple years, then Miami got rid of him, he's got some red flags. McFadden, same here, injury prone, one dimensional. Definitely not worthy of a top 5/10 pick. Mayo is a decent linebacker but considering he went in the top 10 I wouldn't say it was a good pick. Well maybe compared to who all the other chumps drafted in the top 10 but value wise I think he'd have been a good pick at around 20-25. Getting David Harris in the 2nd round was a good pick.
    Speaking of draft picks this 2014 Mock Draft has the Jets taking a safety named Ha Ha.. Oh and the 2 top W/R's Evans and Watkins go to the Bills and Giants with picks 10 and 11.. Houston takes Bridgewater number 1. http://walterfootball.com/draft2014.php

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    There was no chance for Rex to rebuild. By the time he took over Tangini had already relinquished a ton of draft picks, and the players he traded for were either at the end of the line or retired.

Most importantly Rex took over a team without a QB so I'm not entirely sure how one could say Mangini left him in a great situation.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetFanMD View Post
    There was no chance for Rex to rebuild. By the time he took over Tangini had already relinquished a ton of draft picks, and the players he traded for were either at the end of the line or retired.

Most importantly Rex took over a team without a QB so I'm not entirely sure how one could say Mangini left him in a great situation.
    Both of these statements are true