Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 65

Thread: Mike Tannenbaum and Eric Mangini deserve as much blame as Rex

  1. #21
    Rex took the same roster Mangina had - a HOF QB and went to back2back AFCGs.

  2. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    Rex took the same roster Mangina had - a HOF QB and went to back2back AFCGs.
    But Rex is the worst coach in the history of the world, according to some here. How can this be?

  3. #23
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Portlandia, OR
    Posts
    1,093
    I am sick of these, "it's not Rex's fault!" threads.

  4. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    Rex took the same roster Mangina had - a HOF QB and went to back2back AFCGs.
    So why can't he do that with a team HE built? How many of his picks turned out to be Pro Bowlers? I think zero. Even after all these years. All the Pro Bowlers we had after Mangini left were Manginis guys I think. Revis, Mangold, Harris (not a Pro Bowler but an All Pro once in 09) and so on. Get with it. The players Mangini brought in and developed were and are still carrying this team. Don't act like Rex turned Revis, Mangold, Brick and Harris into All Pros, they would have done just as good or even better that year in 09 under Mangini. Over the years when Rex put his own stamp on this team all that went away, right now we suck and the guys that started to play at the highest level possible under Mangini definitely took a step back since then, guys that dominated everybody week in week out. So spin it the way you want it but without Mangini this team without a doubt would be one of the worst in the league, right "up" there with the Raiders.

    Rex is a great defensive coordinator but a terrible leader, he's not head coaching material. Neither is Mangini for that matter. He had no social skills, every player hated him except for noodle arm. Mangini is a robot, all about numbers, stats and scheming. He'd make for an awesome executive (Scout / GM hybrid role) with Rex being maybe the best defensive coordinator in the league. Then you add in a headcoach who can lead a team and bond with the players and boom that's a perfect staff.
    Last edited by DaBallhawk; 12-26-2013 at 05:19 AM.

  5. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by DaBallhawk View Post
    dump this ****. what a moron. mangini did one heck of a job. without him we would not have those successful years after we hired rex. he put all that together, his drafts were excellent and he was great at developing players. the QB situation was bad, its not like when he came he had great QBs to work with, he had the same problem rex is having now
    If Mangini was loud and arrogant like Rex is in his interviews, a lot of the posters here would have supported him like they do Rex.

  6. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by First DOWN! View Post
    If Mangini was loud and arrogant like Rex is in his interviews, a lot of the posters here would have supported him like they do Rex.
    +100000

    Mangini's biggest issues (and the reason he was fired) had to do with his personality.
    He was trying too hard to be like his mentor BB, instead of being himself. He rubbed people the wrong way, esp Woody Johnson.

    The reality is , Mangini got the job way too early. How many 35 year olds with only 1 year as a DC, and 9 years as a low level Defensive Assistant can walk into NYC and coach a team from 4-12 to 10-6 and a playoff spot in his first year?
    That is a testament to his smarts, understanding of the game, discipline and hard work. If he had more experience he would have been a more confident and better head coach. He got the HC job about 10 years too soon.

  7. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    Rex took the same roster Mangina had - a HOF QB and went to back2back AFCGs.
    You are wrong on two accounts.
    Mangini did not have a HOF QB for the last 5 games in 2008 and had an injured QB and garbage back up in 2007
    In 2008 Mangini had the Jets 8-3 and headed to a division title with serious SB chance before Favre tore his biceps tendon in his throwing arm and came up lame the last 5 games. They finished 9-7 that year and came up short. Thats the same record Rex had in his first year and was lucky enough to be good to get into the playoffs. Lets not forget, Indy and Cinci no showed the last 2 games to allow Rex to get to 9-7. That team easily would have been 8-8 or even 7-9 had Indy and Cinci actually played the game. Mangini didnt have that luxury. Miami needed a win for the divivsion and did not lay down for Eric. If they did Mangini gioes 10-6 and a playoff berth.

    Your second mistake is assuming Mangini and Rex had the same team. They did not. Rex added Bart Scott and Jim Leonhard to significantly upgrade ILB and SS. Two weaknesses in Mangini's last year. Yes Sanchez was not Favre, but he also wasnt Kellen Clemens or Brett Ratliff which is what Mangini had available the last 5 games in 2008 when Favre tore his bicep

  8. #28
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Naples FL
    Posts
    43,243
    Quote Originally Posted by kennyo7 View Post
    You are wrong on two accounts.
    Mangini did not have a HOF QB for the last 5 games in 2008 and had an injured QB and garbage back up in 2007
    In 2008 Mangini had the Jets 8-3 and headed to a division title with serious SB chance before Favre tore his biceps tendon in his throwing arm and came up lame the last 5 games. They finished 9-7 that year and came up short. Thats the same record Rex had in his first year and was lucky enough to be good to get into the playoffs. Lets not forget, Indy and Cinci no showed the last 2 games to allow Rex to get to 9-7. That team easily would have been 8-8 or even 7-9 had Indy and Cinci actually played the game. Mangini didnt have that luxury. Miami needed a win for the divivsion and did not lay down for Eric. If they did Mangini gioes 10-6 and a playoff berth.

    Your second mistake is assuming Mangini and Rex had the same team. They did not. Rex added Bart Scott and Jim Leonhard to significantly upgrade ILB and SS. Two weaknesses in Mangini's last year. Yes Sanchez was not Favre, but he also wasnt Kellen Clemens or Brett Ratliff which is what Mangini had available the last 5 games in 2008 when Favre tore his bicep
    Wait if it Rex's fault for not having a better QB then Sanchez how does Mangini get a pass for not having a better one?? He couldn't win with Chad the same Chad that won the East in 08 with the Fins with Sparano as his HC.. People talk about fans making excuses for Rex but give me a break..LOL If Mangini was this great HC why is he not coaching somewhere?? Bottom line is Rex hasn't had a decent QB in his time with the Jets even a broken Chad wasn't better then what has been throwing pick 6's for the past 5 years. I still have hope for Geno but why not just say I hate Rex and save the Mangini apologies..

  9. #29
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Oceanside, Long Island
    Posts
    10,733
    Good thread.... Yes, if they deserve just as much blame as Rex then Rex must deserve just as much punishment as them. The OP's logic is irrefutable.

  10. #30
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Naples FL
    Posts
    43,243
    Quote Originally Posted by EM31 View Post
    Good thread.... Yes, if they deserve just as much blame as Rex then Rex must deserve just as much punishment as them. The OP's logic is irrefutable.
    I agree it's just easier to fail with bad QB's then good one's but Rex should have given the O as much attention as the D.. It's to bad when the Tuna had the first pick in 97 he didn't promise Peyton he would take him number 1.. I understand he said he would only coach for 3 years and didn't want to deal with a rookie QB but it was still a lost opportunity..

  11. #31
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Oceanside, Long Island
    Posts
    10,733
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    I agree it's just easier to fail with bad QB's then good one's but Rex should have given the O as much attention as the D.. It's to bad when the Tuna had the first pick in 97 he didn't promise Peyton he would take him number 1.. I understand he said he would only coach for 3 years and didn't want to deal with a rookie QB but it was still a lost opportunity..
    That one should stain the Tuna's legacy forever.

    Nobody was in those war rooms but I have to believe that many of the decisions made during that period were the product of input from all parties. In other words, Rex p1issed into those pots too no matter how hard some around here try to spin history otherwise.

  12. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    Rex took the same roster Mangina had - a HOF QB and went to back2back AFCGs.
    And how has he done since the talent Mangini aquired and left for him either retired, was traded or left via FA?

    Not one winning season in the last three.

    Thats Rex's talent, Rex's players, right there. One of the least talented rosters in the NFL, heavily invested inoe spot, the D-line, with what feels like half a dozen #1 and #2 picks there alone.

    One totally usted QB. One bust in the making. Three O-Co's (and counting).

    I asked in another thread, but outside of D-line, who, exactly has Rex aquired and developed in his five years in New York, who has Rex made an All-pro outside the D-line?

  13. #33
    Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    27,265
    Quote Originally Posted by First DOWN! View Post
    If Mangini was loud and arrogant like Rex is in his interviews, a lot of the posters here would have supported him like they do Rex.
    Yep so true

  14. #34
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Naples FL
    Posts
    43,243
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    And how has he done since the talent Mangini aquired and left for him either retired, was traded or left via FA?

    Not one winning season in the last three.

    Thats Rex's talent, Rex's players, right there. One of the least talented rosters in the NFL, heavily invested inoe spot, the D-line, with what feels like half a dozen #1 and #2 picks there alone.

    One totally usted QB. One bust in the making. Three O-Co's (and counting).

    I asked in another thread, but outside of D-line, who, exactly has Rex aquired and developed in his five years in New York, who has Rex made an All-pro outside the D-line?
    Fish how did Mangini do with his talent?? He never won the one playoff game he got to.. I'll give you this you didn't like Rex from the start and wanted Russ Grimm for the HC job .. BTW Revis didn't make All Pro till he got in Rex's system.

  15. #35
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Oceanside, Long Island
    Posts
    10,733
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    Fish how did Mangini do with his talent?? He never won the one playoff game he got to.. I'll give you this you didn't like Rex from the start and wanted Russ Grimm for the HC job .. BTW Revis didn't make All Pro till he got in Rex's system.
    Come now savage. Revis was lights out from the first minute of his first game and you know it. All pro is a beauty contest and Revis didn't work the PR system that effectively in his first year.

    Rex did not make Revis. What a ridiculous idea.

  16. #36
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Naples FL
    Posts
    43,243
    Quote Originally Posted by EM31 View Post
    Come now savage. Revis was lights out from the first minute of his first game and you know it. All pro is a beauty contest and Revis didn't work the PR system that effectively in his first year.

    Rex did not make Revis. What a ridiculous idea.
    Was Revis destined to be great? Yes but he shined in Rex's system that's a fact.. I think All Pro is more important then Pro Bowl you will see 7 time Pro Bowlers that never made All Pro..

  17. #37
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    Fish how did Mangini do......
    Given I loathed the Mangini hiring, and wanted him gone asap, and never believed in him, how HE did is generally irrelevant to me. He failed, as I fully expected and predicted.

    Not everything I think is a Patrick Ramsey, after all. I get a few right too

    I'll give you this you didn't like Rex from the start and wanted Russ Grimm for the HC job .. BTW Revis didn't make All Pro till he got in Rex's system.
    Not quite true. I wanted Grimm, yes. But Rex was a close second choice, I supported his hiring, and had some measure of faith in him up until last year.

  18. #38
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Naples FL
    Posts
    43,243
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    Given I loathed the Mangini hiring, and wanted him gone asap, and never believed in him, how HE did is generally irrelevant to me. He failed, as I fully expected and predicted.

    Not everything I think is a Patrick Ramsey, after all. I get a few right too
    Add up the one's Churchill gets right your batting avg is fine between the 2 of you..

  19. #39
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    Was Revis destined to be great? Yes but he shined in Rex's system that's a fact.. I think All Pro is more important then Pro Bowl you will see 7 time Pro Bowlers that never made All Pro..
    Let's also give credit to Mangini for turning Favre into a hall of fame QB while we're at it. Ridiculous. Rex didn't do ****. He took over the best corner in football from day one, he even said that when we hired him. Mangini made Revis. He coached him up, he taught him how to play the way he's playing, how to get the most out of him. He coached him up personally, Revis was his "project", you always saw him next to Revis in practice coaching him up. He didn't do that with anybody but Revis. Mangini has a background coaching DB's (he did that in NE, he also coached Ty Law who was very similar to Revis and is related to Revis). Rex doesn't know **** about DB's, he was a D-Line coach in Baltimore, he never had any relations to DB's, he doesn't know how to coach them up. And he hasn't done anything like that here either. Credit where credit's due. He gets the most out of D-Linemen, and pass rushing linebackers, I think he's the best at it. But to give him credit for something Mangini has done is ridiculous. In fact, I'd even say that Revis would have become even more dominant if Mangini was still around. Once Mangini left there was no need to coach Revis up, he was already the best in the league and playing at a hall of fame level, he was already shutting the best receivers down his rookie season.

    I'll give Rex credit for how he's handling the D-Line and how he's developing and coaching those guys up. I don't know for a fact that he does but considering his background I'm sure he's got to do a lot with the way Wilk, Rich, Kenrick & Snacks are playing and dominating. But stop giving him credit for something he had nothing to do with. He had no effect on how Revis is and was playing. If you're gonna do that then go ahead and bash him for not being able to turn Rhodes into a hall of fame safety, because under Mangini that guy played at a Pro Bowl level. Once Mangini left he turned into ****. But I'm not blaming Rex because he had nothing to do with it. Rhodes just sucked, Revis was great and would have been played the same under 90% of the coaches. There's like a couple coaches like Mangini that could have gotten more out of him, and some that maybe would have ruined him by making him play a different style. And for the record, I hated Mangini as a human being. But when it comes to football, scheming and all that I think he's one of the best in the league. Similar to Rex, but in a different way. And I like Rex as a person, love him as a coordinator. Don't think he's head coaching material.

    Anyway, we're getting off topic here. Just wanted to throw that in there.

  20. #40
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    And how has he done since the talent Mangini aquired and left for him either retired, was traded or left via FA?

    Not one winning season in the last three.

    Thats Rex's talent, Rex's players, right there. One of the least talented rosters in the NFL, heavily invested inoe spot, the D-line, with what feels like half a dozen #1 and #2 picks there alone.

    One totally usted QB. One bust in the making. Three O-Co's (and counting).

    I asked in another thread, but outside of D-line, who, exactly has Rex aquired and developed in his five years in New York, who has Rex made an All-pro outside the D-line?
    We'll ignore Wilkerson, Richardson, Coples, Ellis, Harrison (and even Douzable looks like a good player) for now. Antonio Allen, Jeremy Kerley, Austin Howard, Matt Slauson, Bilal Powell, Demario Davis say hi. And Dee Milliner will be joining that list soon. Rex threw his ass into the fire and you can see him getting better in front of your own eyes.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us