Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rex to the Steelers (speculation no facts)

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Rex to the Steelers (speculation no facts)

I was listening to the radio here in MD, and there's a rumor that after the season ends, LeBeau is going to resign and if the Jets fire Rex, then Rex would be their #1 candidate for their DC.

If you think about it, that would be a great fit for Rex. It's like when Jerome Bettis left the Rams and the Steelers scooped him up. Immediately I thought, "Damn, that's a perfect fit". And we all know what Jerome did in Pittsburgh.

So I guess the question is, rank the teams where you least want Rex to end up as the DC?

1. Steelers
    2. Patriots
    3. Dolphins
    4. Colts
    5. Broncos

I don't want him with the Steelers because he's gonna wreck $h!t over there. They'll have the best defense for the next 5 years or however long Rex wants to stay. As long as Rex doesn't have a say on picking DBs in the draft.

Ideally, Rex is kept as our DC and we get a real HC. But we know that's not going to happen.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Misleading thread title for starters and pure speculation. Why are threads like this allowed to be on this board?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    The substance of the post is fine. The title is not.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rex will undoubtedly get a DC job, since that's obviously what he does best. IMO, Pittsburgh would be just fine, since it means he would be replacing Lebeau. Anywhere else in the AFC would be trouble, especially in the division.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rex is likely going to be a successful dc wherever he lands. That doesn't mean the Jets should keep him as a head coach.

Add long as he's out of the division I couldn't be bothered wasting time worrying about where he lands.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Looking at their roster right now on defense I don't see it. Lebeau in my opinion designs better blitzes then Rex . And we still can't cover the middle of the field or a TE. It would be a downgrade for them if you ask me.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'd rather him out of the AFC. Go to Dallas or any of those NFC teams. Hell, go to the Giants.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rex is going to be hired as a HC immediately, and I'm in the camp that he should probably go. But he will be a HC.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Snell41 View Post
    Rex is going to be hired as a HC immediately, and I'm in the camp that he should probably go. But he will be a HC.
    Not sure you've paid attention to what happened with the Jets the last two years. But I'm assuming all the other GMs and owners have.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetPotato View Post
    Rex will undoubtedly get a DC job, since that's obviously what he does best. IMO, Pittsburgh would be just fine, since it means he would be replacing Lebeau. Anywhere else in the AFC would be trouble, especially in the division.
    he may get a HC job......

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Keith Butler has turned down interviews for DC jobs and has been the DC - in - waiting in Pittsburgh for about 10 years.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by First DOWN! View Post
    Not sure you've paid attention to what happened with the Jets the last two years. But I'm assuming all the other GMs and owners have.
    Rex has redeeming qualities as a coach. To deny that is complete blind bias. Like I said, I think he should go. We need to build our offense and he isn't the right guy for that, but there are teams and places where he would be a very good fit. There's going to be 8 or 9 HC jobs available, and Rex will get one IMO.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm sorry but Rex arriving at Pittsburgh isn't going to transform them into a top defense for the next five years. The Steelers are finished. Their defense is old as hell, they've drafted poorly, and Rex showing up isn't going to suddenly change any of that.

Also, I really cannot see the Patriots talking to Rex. They have their own guy (whats his name) and their defense is doing fine. Without the injuries they would have been a top 5 squad this year. The only way I see this as even a remote possibility is if their current DC gets a HC'ing job, and even then, I just don't think Belichick likes Rex or needs Rex. I suspect he would get much greater gratification out of seeing Rex wander off to Dallas or something after losing his HC job.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    ZERO chance he takes a job as DC after being a head coach for this long, at least right away. More likely Rex becomes an announcer for a few years or waits and sees what Head Coaching jobs open up. I think Rex is too proud to immediately go back to being a DC. I know SOME do that, but I don't think Rex is that type.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    ZERO chance he takes a job as DC after being a head coach for this long, at least right away. More likely Rex becomes an announcer for a few years or waits and sees what Head Coaching jobs open up. I think Rex is too proud to immediately go back to being a DC. I know SOME do that, but I don't think Rex is that type.
    Yeah, it never really dawned on me, but I think him showing up at the NFL network or at ESPN instead of as a DC is a really good possibility.
    Good call!

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't get it. Rex had been the head coach for 5 years has done nothing but draft defense in the first round and he has the 11th ranked defense 23rd against the pass. What the **** is this myth that Rex is some defensive genius? Every year he has been here the defense has gotten worse as they poured more top picks into it. The guy is a joke.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ALJETS View Post
    Misleading thread title for starters and pure speculation. Why are threads like this allowed to be on this board?
    Duly noted.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnus View Post
    I don't get it. Rex had been the head coach for 5 years has done nothing but draft defense in the first round and he has the 11th ranked defense 23rd against the pass. What the **** is this myth that Rex is some defensive genius? Every year he has been here the defense has gotten worse as they poured more top picks into it. The guy is a joke.
    You've seen those nintendo fighting matches - anyway - 2 more red bars and it's game over.

I wish; I wish.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking Rex in downward trend

Quote Originally Posted by Snell41 View Post
    = You are wrong. Rex is a self- promoter and that does not sit well with a lot of owners. Remember , his record

as a HC has been in a downward trajectory; since inheriting a good Mangini team. And his development of Offensive

personnel has been mediocre. i.e what offensive stars have ever developed under Rex.?