Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Peter King on Rex Ryan

Peter King on Rex Ryan

The Jets keeping Rex Ryan. What option did they have, really? They had the worst collection of offensive skill players outside of Jacksonville (and maybe worse), and somehow they finished 8-8. Woody Johnson would have been ridiculed, and rightfully so, if he and John Idzik had cut ties with Ryan.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by rmeyer52 View Post
    The Jets keeping Rex Ryan. What option did they have, really? They had the worst collection of offensive skill players outside of Jacksonville (and maybe worse), and somehow they finished 8-8. Woody Johnson would have been ridiculed, and rightfully so, if he and John Idzik had cut ties with Ryan.
    BINGO!

And what was the Jaguars record?

No one did more with less than Rex Ryan!

Hall Of Fame
    I just hope they decided to keep Rex b.c they wanted to and not b.c they felt like they would get negative press.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    BINGO!

Marty Mornhinweg?

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    BINGO!

In 09 Sanchez had a 12 td 20 pick rookie season but he had Braylon,Cotchery,Keller,A top running game and the number 1 D. Geno did about the same with less this year also..

Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    In 09 Sanchez had a 12 td 20 pick rookie season but he had Braylon,Cotchery,Keller,A top running game and the number 1 D. Geno did about the same with less this year also..
    More yards and total TDs, actually.

Just to be clear, given our wealth of cap space and picks, the "we have no talent on O" excuse will NOT be valid next year, will it?

If we have no talent on O, again, in 2014, is that not a decisive criticism of Rex Ryan and Idzik, given that EVERYONE says we're talentless on O today, now?

Just want to know now, because it seems like some excuses live on year after year after year. I don;t see how this one can be valid in 2014 tbh, given how mcuh room to move we have now.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    Just to be clear, given our wealth of cap space and picks, the "we have no talent on O" excuse will NOT be valid next year, will it?

If we have no talent on O, again, in 2014, is that not a decisive criticism of Rex Ryan and Idzik, given that EVERYONE says we're talentless on O today, now?

Just want to know now, because it seems like some excuses live on year after year after year. I don;t see how this one can be valid in 2014 tbh, given how mcuh room to move we have now.
    I expect a explosion of offensive talent in 2014 Fish as much as people say we never drafted W/R's both Braylon and Homes were 1st rd picks in their drafts with the Browns and Pitt..

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    I just hope they decided to keep Rex b.c they wanted to and not b.c they felt like they would get negative press.
    Go look at the video again.

Practice Squad
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    You'd like to think that's the case. What will be telling to me is if the Jets are willing to give him an extension, and how long. I heard he is asking for two year. Looking at all the information and videos out there, I think Rex is still on a short leash.

It's also important to factor in the 6 rushing Td's with Geno as well.

I expect a explosion of offensive talent in 2014 Fish as much as people say we never drafted W/R's both Braylon and Homes were 1st rd picks in their drafts with the Browns and Pitt..
    Like I said, I just want to be clear that "we have no talent on O" will not be a valid excuse/defense if our Offense falters in 2014, thats all.

Because we've heard that excuse used for three years now. With our cap space and full slate of picks, I think that excuse can't possibly be valid now without seriously shifting blame to Rex and Idzik.

Also, I think anyone who says Rex won't drive personel decisions is living in a fantasy world. Clearly Rex is as much a driver for this franchise as Idzik is. The more I see, the more I think idzik is Tanny II, a bookman, not a player persnel man.

But we'll see.

Well, that would depend on who the Jets bring in, now wouldn't it? Cap space and draft picks don't mean anything unless they're used wisely.

Banned
    It's fair to say the Jets had the worst collection of offensive skill players but when will Jets fans stop making this excuse? Is it when Geno plays better and Jets start making playoffs again?

Talking 2014 has to be big year for Jets... no excuses

== We must be on the upswing in 2014. Offense has to be there for us; score lots of points like the better teams do...

otherwise, Rex will take big time blame, as he should-- cannot play the victim of this or that situation.

Quote Originally Posted by detectivekimble View Post
    Well, that would depend on who the Jets bring in, now wouldn't it? Cap space and draft picks don't mean anything unless they're used wisely.
    And if they're used poorly, or on Defense, for example, thats an indictment against both Rex Ryan and Idzik.

Thank you for confirming that point.

"We have no talent on O" in 2014 only happens if we fail spectacularly this offseason, and if we fail spectacularly, then there is no excuse for Rex Ryan at that point.

completely agree but also keep in my mind, rex's first year as coach and schotty as OC

And if they're used poorly, or on Defense, for example, thats an indictment against both Rex Ryan and Idzik.

"We have no talent on O" in 2014 only happens if we fail spectacularly this offseason, and if we fail spectacularly, then there is no excuse for Rex Ryan at that point.
    Says who? Idzik brought in his own scouts. It's his job to draft some good players now.

And there's nothing wrong with using draft picks on defense. You take the best player. You don't reach just to take an offensive player.

Rex and every coach in this league will fail unless they don't get the QB...

John Fox isn't some brilliant mind, he's a solid coach in the mold of Andy Reid or Fisher. Give any one of those guys Peyton Manning or Brady and they are going to win super bowls. Rex is in the same boat.

It sucks to view the NFL that way, but that's the way it is. Rex is a good coach but the only way he's going to win a super bowl is Geno playing extremely well. And if they win, it's not going to be because Rex has become a better coach or something else more complicated, it will be because Geno got better.

Quote Originally Posted by detectivekimble View Post
    LoL - exactly. If the Jets have really lousy offensive talent again next season (like this year), then the "we have no talent on O" excuse may be very valid. I hope not. I hope the Jets re-load, but nobody - NOBODY - can claim the Jets underachieved this year. NOBODY can suggest the team had enough offensive talent to win consistently. I'm not much for moral victories or patting ourselves on the back for 8-8, but with the talent the Jets had this year?? 8-8 is a friggin' miracle!!!!