Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Peter King on Rex Ryan

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by detectivekimble View Post
    More yards and total TDs, actually.
    Geno had 79 more pass attempts.. Mark did have 3 rushing tds though..

Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    And if they're used poorly, or on Defense, for example, thats an indictment against both Rex Ryan and Idzik.

Thank you for confirming that point.

"We have no talent on O" in 2014 only happens if we fail spectacularly this offseason, and if we fail spectacularly, then there is no excuse for Rex Ryan at that point.
    I agree with this. But I gotta ask -- it sounds like you think it was just an "excuse" THIS season? You would admit, wouldn't you, that the Jets "talent" on the offensive side of the ball was abysmal (?) Vince Lombardi couldn't get 9-7 out of this bunch. What the Jets accomplished this season with a bunch of scrubs should be applauded.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    Go look at the video again.
    Honestly, looked a little awkward to me. Maybe Idzik just comes off that way. I dunno. Its a video. An extension (more than 1 year), FA and draft will tell me more.

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeSauer View Post
    You'd like to think that's the case. What will be telling to me is if the Jets are willing to give him an extension, and how long. I heard he is asking for two year. Looking at all the information and videos out there, I think Rex is still on a short leash.
    I agree. I think Woody should at least give him a 1 year extension. Avoid the lame duck thing and I think it would make the organization look better. They can always fire him next year if they change their minds, it's only money.

And if they're used poorly, or on Defense, for example, thats an indictment against both Rex Ryan and Idzik.

Thank you for confirming that point.

"We have no talent on O" in 2014 only happens if we fail spectacularly this offseason, and if we fail spectacularly, then there is no excuse for Rex Ryan at that point.
    You and I are in agreement that there wasn't an excuse even this year. Moot point now.

I don't think Idzik is tanny 2 to be honest. He did scouting, he has proper connections, and from what the rumors are he's pulling rex in. Yeah they work well together but Idzik is going to be making the decisions.

I think he's playing it well. If rex fails again he gets rid of him and moves on. If rex fails again and idzik is another scapegoat then we know we'll never get anywhere with rex adn woody woodpecker.

we'll see.

The draft will be an excellent indicator though.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote - Warfish - the "we have no talent on O" excuse will NOT be valid next year, will it?

Well, that would depend on who the Jets bring in, now wouldn't it? Cap space and draft picks don't mean anything unless they're used wisely.
    +1

if what they bring in $h*ts the bed there will be plenty of blame that some falls on Rex ... make no mistake though, the majority of the praise/blame for the FA's & draft picks will & should fall upon the GM

Stop with the BS about how the Jets talent is an excuse for Rex, that is just your anti-Rex agenda shining through, it wasn't an excuse, it was fact, and Rex did a great job with the team he had.

Next year will be a different playing field, this goes without saying, but the Rex haters have to get it off their chest and flood the board with their bull**** already about how next year better be this, playoffs or bust, and are already putting up number of games into next year to that Rex and team have to show something.

How about just back, enjoy the off-season, let's follow what the team is in a great position to do this coming off-season, and that is reload the roster.

Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    It's also important to factor in the 6 rushing Td's with Geno as well.
    All that proves is that he is a better runner than he is a passer. That is not going to work long term, We need to draft a QB

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    Stop with the BS about how the Jets talent is an excuse for Rex, that is just your anti-Rex agenda shining through, it wasn't an excuse, it was fact, and Rex did a great job with the team he had.

Next year will be a different playing field, this goes without saying, but the Rex haters have to get it off their chest and flood the board with their bull**** already about how next year better be this, playoffs or bust, and are already putting up number of games into next year to that Rex and team have to show something.

How about just back, enjoy the off-season, let's follow what the team is in a great position to do this coming off-season, and that is reload the roster.
    Millner and Geno will be studs....

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by FreemanMC View Post
    I agree with this. But I gotta ask -- it sounds like you think it was just an "excuse" THIS season? You would admit, wouldn't you, that the Jets "talent" on the offensive side of the ball was abysmal (?) Vince Lombardi couldn't get 9-7 out of this bunch. What the Jets accomplished this season with a bunch of scrubs should be applauded.
    Yes, I think it's an excuse when the Offense has been a problem, in one form or many, every year of the five years the Head Coach has been in place.

I do not agree that it's appropriate to "applaud" what Rex did with a team HE is (IMO) primarily responsible for building.

I also don't agree the team was talentless, on paper at least, at seasons start. Geno IMO was worse than expected overall (turnovers especially), Goodson being gone all year, Holmes hurt and then phoning it in, Hill continuing to be the Offenseive Gholston, Kerley being hurt, Cumberland not developing at all, Winters looking worse than expected, etc, etc, etc.

Talent was there, it almost ALL underperformed, got hurt, or failed to develop.

All of which is irrelevant now, of course.

I am simply sick of "we have no talent on O".

If it's SO obvious to one and all, then it should be obvious to Rex and Co., and with these picks and cap space, it should be fixed, right?

Right.

If we fail on O next year, it cannot be due to having "no talent".

Because I enjoy discussing the team in greater depth than "yay, go Jets!".

I appreciate that some fans prefer universal support without criticism or comment or questioning, but I enjoy discussing where we are, who we have, who should go, should should be aquired, etc, etc, etc.

And I think, purely in relation to our discssions here, that having "no talent" on O in 2014 would be a sure sign of a failed offseason, given our wealth of cap space and picks, and the clear-cut unquestionable weakness of our O in 2013.
    Last edited by Warfish; 12-30-2013 at 11:54 AM.

Hall Of Fame

I do not agree that it's appropriate to "applaud" what Rex did with a team HE is (IMO) primarily responsible for building.
    No excuses after this "reload" of FAs and draft picks. 2nd GM, we all agree he now has a decent OC. It's on Rex now. Some of us have put it on him for a couple of years now but anybody that denies it now loses credibility.

Yes, I think it's an excuse when the Offense has been a problem, in one form or many, every year of the five years the Head Coach has been in place.
    You really have to look at the QB situation as well - two rookies, one of which simply didn't have it. We'll see how Geno progresses, but you must realize it's a QB league and if you don't have one it's going to be tough sledding for any offense.

Quote Originally Posted by mike309 View Post
    All that proves is that he is a better runner than he is a passer. That is not going to work long term, We need to draft a QB
    What are you talking about? Geno isn't a runner. He looks to pass, pass, and pass. The coaching staff finally put it in his head to run if he didn't see anything. Haven't you noticed the difference the last few weeks? At the beginning of the year, he would stand back there and wait and wait and wait for guys to get open. Now, if there's nothing there, he takes off. That's good. And it slows down the other team's pass rush.

He's not like Vick, who was a runner trying to pass. Geno is a natural thrower who just happens to be able to run fast.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by fidelioion View Post
    You really have to look at the QB situation as well - two rookies, one of which simply didn't have it. We'll see how Geno progresses, but you must realize it's a QB league and if you don't have one it's going to be tough sledding for any offense.
    But if the problem is Geno Smith, the problem will NOT be "we have no talent on Offense".

I assure you, no one knows better than I that it's a QB league, hence my posts the past five years re: Sanchez and why he wasn't good enough.

I also don't agree the team was talentless, on paper at least, at seasons start. Geno IMO was worse than expected overall (turnovers especially), Goodson being gone all year, Holmes hurt and then phoning it in, Hill continuing to be the Offenseive Gholston, Kerley being hurt, Cumberland not developing at all, Winters looking worse than expected, etc, etc, etc.

Talent was there, it almost ALL underperformed, got hurt, or failed to develop.

All of which is irrelevant now, of course.

I am simply sick of "we have no talent on O".

If it's SO obvious to one and all, then it should be obvious to Rex and Co., and with these picks and cap space, it should be fixed, right?

Right.

If we fail on O next year, it cannot be due to having "no talent".

Because I enjoy discussing the team in greater depth than "yay, go Jets!".

I appreciate that some fans prefer universal support without criticism or comment or questioning, but I enjoy discussing where we are, who we have, who should go, should should be aquired, etc, etc, etc.

And I think, purely in relation to our discssions here, that having "no talent" on O in 2014 would be a sure sign of a failed offseason, given our wealth of cap space and picks, and the clear-cut unquestionable weakness of our O in 2013.
    I'm not saying let's not talk about it, but enough with the high-and-mighty routine about how next year better be this, and better be that. Rex doesn't deserve anybody's "stick," let's discuss what figures to be a very active off-season, and do it without the obligatory Rex better watch himself high-and-mighty chest thumping from our know-it-all SOJF's.

We can evaluate Rex during and after the season next year.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    I'm not saying let's not talk about it, but enough with the high-and-mighty routine
    We both post how we post Ray.

Asking me to change my style of writing and debate would be like asking you to stop calling people "clueless" or "idiots" or denouncing comments you disagree with as bad fans or SOJF's, etc.

I'm not saying next year "better" be anything.

I'm saying, given the KNOWN deficientcy of talent on O at the skill positions, given our Cap space available (expected) and given our wealth of draft picks this year, there is no excuse for going into 2014 "with no talent" on offense.

Rex doesn't deserve
    Try to remember that "what Rex deserves..." is an individuals opinion issue.

Because you (or I) believe something does not make it true, nor does it mandate others must believe what we belive.

Hence why we post, to express our opinions and compare/contrast/debate them with other fans.

Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    In 09 Sanchez had a 12 td 20 pick rookie season but he had Braylon,Cotchery,Keller,A top running game and the number 1 D. Geno did about the same with less this year also..
    And Schotty as OC ansd Cavanaugh as QB coach , don't think Lee & MM didn't play a huge role.

We both post how we post Ray.

Asking me to change my style of writing and debate would be like asking you to stop calling people "clueless" or "idiots" or denouncing comments you disagree with as bad fans or SOJF's, etc.

I'm not saying next year "better" be anything.

I'm saying, given the KNOWN deficientcy of talent on O at the skill positions, given our Cap space available (expected) and given our wealth of draft picks this year, there is no excuse for going into 2014 "with no talent" on offense.

Try to remember that "what Rex deserves..." is an individuals opinion issue.

Because you (or I) believe something does not make it true, nor does it mandate others must believe what we belive.

Hence why we post, to express our opinions and compare/contrast/debate them with other fans.
    That's fine, this wasn't just addressed to you, I can already see the threads and posts from the known Rex haters on here, already flooding the board with their demands...

Just to be clear, given our wealth of cap space and picks, the "we have no talent on O" excuse will NOT be valid next year, will it?

If we have no talent on O, again, in 2014, is that not a decisive criticism of Rex Ryan and Idzik, given that EVERYONE says we're talentless on O today, now?

Just want to know now, because it seems like some excuses live on year after year after year. I don;t see how this one can be valid in 2014 tbh, given how mcuh room to move we have now.
    Next years excuse will be too many new pieces , it takes time to Jell , give it one more year and Rex will get it right. It reminds me of the Bugs Bunny Yosemite Sam bit - cross this line , now cross this line .........

If they focus on O in FA and the draft and Rex allows MM to run his offense w/o making assinine demands perhaps this team can improve next year , but if not let's hope Idizk and Woody get tired of the excuses like some of us here already have.

I'm not saying let's not talk about it, but enough with the high-and-mighty routine about how next year better be this, and better be that. Rex doesn't deserve anybody's "stick," let's discuss what figures to be a very active off-season, and do it without the obligatory Rex better watch himself high-and-mighty chest thumping from our know-it-all SOJF's.

We can evaluate Rex during and after the season next year.
    It's not a high and mighty routine. It's a statement that the jets and league know that the offense is bad so the jets better address it. Especially in a year that they have the means to do so.

That due diligence precludes rex from mouth watering over defensive FAs and going against his make up and drafting and fixing the offense. Much to his chagrin and disdain. To do otherwise is lay all blame on rex and the FO. So what War is suggesting and i am agreeing with is the jets have no alternative but to fix this lamentable offense.

If not they have to be judged accordingly.

Well, that would depend on who the Jets bring in, now wouldn't it? Cap space and draft picks don't mean anything unless they're used wisely.
    There's no excuse not to upgrade the O this offseason, if Idzik, Rex & staff can't make it happen then - they deserve to be fired.