Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Building for 2014

Building for 2014

So, we now know that REx Ryan will be the Head Coach for 2014, and possibly (likely) beyond.

This cements the immediate future of this team as Rex's Team.

We appear to have substantial cap money available, a full slate of picks and the potential for a few extra picks.

We are strong on Defense in the D-Line and LB positions, weak in the D-Secondary, and weak almost everywhere on Offense, talent wise.

It appears to be a foregone conclusion that Mark Sanchez, Santonio Holmes and Antonio Cromartie will all either be released outright (Holmes), or forced to sign new low-cost/low-cap deals (Cro).

Geno Smith appears to have the full faith and confidence of the Coach and the GM, thus (potentially) eliminating the idea of bringing in a competior for the #1 job, and leading more towards bringing in a capable veteran clear-cut #2 backup QB.

Positions of serious talent weakness are, in order: Wide Reciever, Tight End, O-line, Cornerback, Safety, Running Back.

So, the questions today:

1. With room to maneuver and work the roster, who/what should/will the Jets go after?

2. Will Rex and Co. suprise us, by persuing Defense more than many might expect, perhaps going after big-dollar LB pass rusher from Washington, Brian Orakpo?

3. Does the crop of available FA Wide Recievers allow us to sign one or two before the draft that could be legitimate #1's? Or will we have to build through the draft at WR, with the risks that entails (Hill anyone?)

4. Is the combination of Powell/Ivory "good enough" for a Rex-led Team? Will Goodson, desite his utter failure in 2013 to do anything, be welcomed back, or is he gone?

5. Can the Jets stand pat with the O-line we have, or do we need one or more new starters on the line to protect Geno Smith?

6. Milliner finally showed something late, but is Cornerback a weak spot that needs serious attention, especially if Cromartie must be abandoned due to costs?

7. Who from the current crop is worth keeping at WR? Kerley, I think we all agree, can stay in the slot. Nelson was resigned, but many think he's just depth. Does Hill stay one more year, or no?

8. Is there anything now to gain bringing in a QB other than a dedicated backup? What kind of QB should be brought in, a similar to Geno or a more traditional dropback passer? What is the goal, personel wise, of teh QB position this offseason? Pressure on Geno, or rock solid backup who knows he is a backup?

Jets Insider VIP
    Just a basic little offseason plan from me:

Cuts:

QB Mark Sanchez
    WR Santonio Holmes
    CB Antonio Cromartie

Free agency:

Sign CB Sam Shields

Sign a WR (Eric Decker, Jeremy Maclin, Golden Tate, or Andre Roberts)

Sign a veteran QB (Chad Henne or Shaun Hill)

Sign an OLB (Jason Worilds or retain Pace for another year)

Sign a RB with explosive ability (McFadden or retain Goodson)

Extend Wilkerson

Draft (first 3 rounds)

1st round: TE Jace Amaro - Texas Tech

2nd round: WR Jordan Matthews - Vanderbilt

3rd round: OG Zack Martin - Notre Dame

3rd round: WR Donte Moncrief - Ole Miss

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    So, we now know that REx Ryan will be the Head Coach for 2014, and possibly (likely) beyond.

This cements the immediate future of this team as Rex's Team.

We appear to have substantial cap money available, a full slate of picks and the potential for a few extra picks.

We are strong on Defense in the D-Line and LB positions, weak in the D-Secondary, and weak almost everywhere on Offense, talent wise.

It appears to be a foregone conclusion that Mark Sanchez, Santonio Holmes and Antonio Cromartie will all either be released outright (Holmes), or forced to sign new low-cost/low-cap deals (Cro).

Geno Smith appears to have the full faith and confidence of the Coach and the GM, thus (potentially) eliminating the idea of bringing in a competior for the #1 job, and leading more towards bringing in a capable veteran clear-cut #2 backup QB.

Positions of serious talent weakness are, in order: Wide Reciever, Tight End, O-line, Cornerback, Safety, Running Back.

So, the questions today:

1. With room to maneuver and work the roster, who/what should/will the Jets go after?

2. Will Rex and Co. suprise us, by persuing Defense more than many might expect, perhaps going after big-dollar LB pass rusher from Washington, Brian Orakpo?

3. Does the crop of available FA Wide Recievers allow us to sign one or two before the draft that could be legitimate #1's? Or will we have to build through the draft at WR, with the risks that entails (Hill anyone?)

4. Is the combination of Powell/Ivory "good enough" for a Rex-led Team? Will Goodson, desite his utter failure in 2013 to do anything, be welcomed back, or is he gone?

5. Can the Jets stand pat with the O-line we have, or do we need one or more new starters on the line to protect Geno Smith?

6. Milliner finally showed something late, but is Cornerback a weak spot that needs serious attention, especially if Cromartie must be abandoned due to costs?

7. Who from the current crop is worth keeping at WR? Kerley, I think we all agree, can stay in the slot. Nelson was resigned, but many think he's just depth. Does Hill stay one more year, or no?

8. Is there anything now to gain bringing in a QB other than a dedicated backup? What kind of QB should be brought in, a similar to Geno or a more traditional dropback passer? What is the goal, personel wise, of teh QB position this offseason? Pressure on Geno, or rock solid backup who knows he is a backup?
    Do you really see RB as a weakness? Ivory while fragile has shown some great moves, Powell looks good and though we didn't get much from Goodson his speed was amazing in the few plays we saw from him IMO. I think unless a real stud falls to us then we should really look at other positions first.

I think the Jets should go after WR and TE first and Foremost and go for CB and Safety in FA. Kerley and Nelson are here for next year. I would like to see Hill step up but it isn't looking good. I think we need insurance at QB in case Geno doesn't take the next step. He showed improvement the past couple games but he needs to take a big step forward to be handed the job with no competition.

As for the line we need depth but I think if Colon comes back and Winters improves we are good with our starters.

Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post

Cuts:

QB Mark Sanchez
    WR Santonio Holmes
    CB Antonio Cromartie

Free agency:

Sign CB Sam Shields

Extend Wilkerson

Draft (first 3 rounds)

McFadden, Worilds and Tate are great ideas. You get younger and faster without breaking the bank.

Quote Originally Posted by Trades View Post
    Do you really see RB as a weakness?
    I don't see it as a particular strength. We have two grinders, two "three yards and a cloud of dust" type guys. We do not have playmekers at RB at current.

The importance of changing that is, of course, up to Marty M. (and Rex) and his system.

Hence why the "keep or cut Goodson" is such a question, because HE was supposed to be our playmaker to complement the bruisers of Ivory/Powell.

Clearly WR and TE are higher priorities, as outside Kerley we're effectively talentless right now.

But for a Rex-led team, Time of Posession and being able to run will always be vital, regardless of the O-Co in place.

As for the line we need depth but I think if Colon comes back and Winters improves we are good with our starters.
    Forum blamed them ALOT this season for Geno's troubles......seems standing pat wouldn't be popular here.

i think ILB is a bigger problem than RB, and maybe even S. hopefully Barnes comes back healthy to make OLB a non-issue as well, but i don't think it's fair to expect Pace to have similar results next season. i also expect Antonio Allen to make a real jump next year. Harris is overrated/overpaid. Davis is solid but far from spectacular. i'm interested to see what we really have in Allen & Bush.

1. last year's FA strategy was influenced by this year's compensation picks. since we won't be losing any FA's of value this season (minimizing 2015 comp picks), we can expect to be more aggressive in FA. i'd also expect *one* Ivory-like trade again, where we take a late pick and swap it for an underused player on another team.

2. those who expect an offseason 100% dedicated to offense will be surprised. defenses pieces will be needed for sure. i wouldn't expect bank-busters like Orakpo. the money will go to the secondary and the draft will go to the linebackers.

3. i don't know about legitimate #1's in FA, but we can get sure-fire #2's. Maclin and/or Tate would be solid additions, and both make sense given Idzik/Marty connections. i wouldn't rule out Sanders, Decker, or DHB either. the true #1 will be better found in the draft.

4. i hope Goodson is welcomed back. if he's healthy, the trio we have is more than good enough. we may not have one complete RB but we have three that excel in their roles. that's good enough. it's proven that RB's are just about the last pieces to any SB puzzle.

5. definitely need a new RG. Colon is solid but also a free agent and a year older. hopefully Aboushi or Campbell steps up from within but they'll draft more OL and likely sign one too. otherwise, continuity between Brick, Winters, and Mangold should make them a fine left side, and Howard is good at RT.

6. yes, CB is a weak spot. Milliner will be #1 next year, and will probably be just fine. but if Cro is gone, we'll need a replacement for not only him but Wilson the following year as well. i don't see Wilson here long term. we shan't forget that we may have Berry too. but it's still a big need that needs to be addressed immediately, given the inherent learning curve of the position

7. Kerley, Nelson, and Hill will all be back. it's too early to give up on an athlete getting paid peanuts (Hill), and Kerley and Nelson are solid contributors and security blankets for Geno. i'd expect us to go into next season with 6 WR on the roster, 3 of whom will be brand new additions. 4 or 5 might be brought in to compete, but there's only so much room. Kerley, Nelson, Hill + X, Y, Z should suffice. XYZ may be 1 FA + 2 rookies or 1 FA + 1 trade + 1 rookie, who knows. Kerley would be the #3 guy, Nelson and Hill #4 and #6. the rest round out 1, 2, and 5.

8. i think it's important to draft another QB in the mid-later rounds. Smith shouldn't be handed anything (but in the back of everyones minds, he probably will be) but there should be competition between another rookie, Simms, and a FA pickup

my attempt at objective responses to your questions
    Last edited by Jonathan; 12-30-2013 at 11:35 AM.

So, following this plan, our WR's would be (not in order):

1. Kerley
    2. Hill
    3. Nelson
    4. Cribbs
    5. FA Guy (Decker/Maclin/Tate/Roberts)
    6. Matthews
    7. Moncrief
    8. Salas

So......who are your #1 thru #5 WR's and who do you cut loose?

Hall Of Fame

1. Kerley
    2. Hill
    3. Nelson
    4. Cribbs
    6. Matthews
    7. Moncrief
    8. Salas

Cribbs and Salas will not be on this roster next year.

I think Defense can be addressed via FA. Rex is good on D so he can get them up to speed and such right away and make the defense formidable and not above average.

On offense it has to be through the draft with WR/TE as priorities. A back up QB via FA is also good but not someone who will supplant Geno unless he's really good. But they're backups for a reason eh.

With any semblance of a WR core that can stretch the field it opens up the short passing game (which i hate), and gives the TE more space to work with.

WR has to be the immediate need to fill. I don't think Winters will be as bad as he was this year but addressing guards in later rounds would be good.

Sanchez, reed, holmes, cut.
    Renegotiate Harris, Cro, a 1 yr deal for pace.

starts negotiations with Muhammad.

Jets Insider VIP

1. Kerley
    2. Hill
    3. Nelson
    4. Cribbs
    6. Matthews
    7. Moncrief
    8. Salas

1. Decker/Maclin/Tate/Roberts
    2. Matthews
    3. Kerley
    4. Nelson/Moncrief
    5. Moncrief/Nelson

If we decide to keep 6 wideouts, then let Hill, Cribbs, and Salas fight for the final spot.

Cuts:

QB Mark Sanchez
    WR Santonio Holmes
    CB Antonio Cromartie

Free agency:

Sign CB Sam Shields

Extend Wilkerson

Draft (first 3 rounds)

This is one of the better plans there is.

Shields fits perfect in replacing Cro. One of those receivers would be great, although I'd add Maclin and Emmanuel Sanders to that group. (Golden Tate is still the best option in my mind though)

No point in getting a vet QB so screw that idea. The whole point of the QB positions in today's NFL is to accumulate guys who COULD be great, getting a vet just wastes that because we typically know who they are. STick with Simms who is a great kid with upside, and get something else at the 3rd QB spot.

Winters needs someone to compete with although he had 2 very good games here. Colon, Howard, BRick, and Mangold are more than fine though.

Worilds would be a great signing... he fits very well playing that left side for us considering that is our only weakness. Barnes is 100 better on the right side anyway.

Jets Insider VIP
    IMO Geno has earned the right to compete for a job in TC, nothing more. The Jets will bring in competition and it's his to lose. To say he has the confidence of the Jets staff is a reach.

Hall Of Fame
    Founding JI Member

We keep hearing wr will have $40 million in cap space & up to 12 draft picks in 2014. How about our stat experts here,even our local trolls can tell us how the rest of our div. is stacked up for cap space draft picks in 2014?

By the way, don't sleep on the idea of Rex spending big on a Brian Orakpo.

Rex loves his linebackers, remember, and wants his own Ray Lewis type.

While I don;t think it's likely or a good idea, I wouldn't be surpised if we DID go crazy and make that kind of move.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by joiseyjet View Post
    We keep hearing wr will have $40 million in cap space & up to 12 draft picks in 2014. How about our stat experts here,even our local trolls can tell us how the rest of our div. is stacked up for cap space draft picks in 2014?
    Dolphins have 30.2 million

Bills have 29.5 million

Pats have 4 million

That is before any cuts are made, the Jets have 18.4 million before any cuts are made.

Hall Of Fame
    Founding JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Dolphins have 30.2 million

Bills have 29.5 million

Pats have 4 million

That is before any cuts are made, the Jets have 18.4 million before any cuts are made.
    Thanks. So I guess cap wise at least ,we're pretty close with most of the Div. I was hopeing we'd have a big advantage going into the offseason.

Hall Of Fame
    Thanks. So I guess cap wise at least ,we're pretty close with most of the Div. I was hopeing we'd have a big advantage going into the offseason.
    There are actually 12 teams with more pre-cut cap room than the Jets have.

Jets Insider VIP
    With our boatload of draft picks...and Idzik...we do.

Look at Miami's draft class from this year vs ours.

They literally didn't have a single player that did jacksh*t. Not even Dion Jordan.

Hall Of Fame
    With our boatload of draft picks...and Idzik...we do.

Look at Miami's draft class from this year vs ours.

They literally didn't have a single player that did jacksh*t. Not even Dion Jordan.
    What's crazy about Miami is that after all that money they spent last year, they still have 30 million in cap room for 2014.

Hall Of Fame
    Founding JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    There are actually 12 teams with more pre-cut cap room than the Jets have.
    close to 1/3 of the league. We better hit homeruns on the draft picks.