Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Loved what I saw from Geno yesterday

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Loved what I saw from Geno yesterday

Aside from a couple of inaccurate throws and one really bad forced pass that nearly got picked, I was really happy with his performance. His pocket awareness is much improved. Most of the year, he's made pretty good decisions when flushed out of the pocket toward the sideline, throwing the ball away when he had no room to run and no open target. He makes good decisions in that specific situation. I actually see that as a strength of his game (in contrast to a glaring weakness for Sanchez during 2011-2012 on exactly the same type of play). He also put some nice moves on during his runs. Not bad for a QB never lauded for his running game.

What I really loved was him putting his head down and trying to get a first down or get into the end zone. I don't want him doing that too often, but seeing him willing to take the hits for the first down marker or the goal line, in situations where it is warranted, affirms his situational awareness and willingness to take risks in the right circumstances.

If this was really growth we saw in the finally few games of the season, I'm thrilled. It suggests he has the mental tools to go along with the physical tools. Bodes well for the future.

Get him a premier WR and TE to throw to, and a lot of things become possible.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rbstern View Post
    Aside from a couple of inaccurate throws and one really bad forced pass that nearly got picked, I was really happy with his performance. His pocket awareness is much improved. Most of the year, he's made pretty good decisions when flushed out of the pocket toward the sideline, throwing the ball away when he had no room to run and no open target. He makes good decisions in that specific situation. I actually see that as a strength of his game (in contrast to a glaring weakness for Sanchez during 2011-2012 on exactly the same type of play). He also put some nice moves on during his runs. Not bad for a QB never lauded for his running game.

What I really loved was him putting his head down and trying to get a first down or get into the end zone. I don't want him doing that too often, but seeing him willing to take the hits for the first down marker or the goal line, in situations where it is warranted, affirms his situational awareness and willingness to take risks in the right circumstances.

If this was really growth we saw in the finally few games of the season, I'm thrilled. It suggests he has the mental tools to go along with the physical tools. Bodes well for the future.

Get him a premier WR and TE to throw to, and a lot of things become possible.
    Geno IS NOT Mike Vick ... His running is pedestrian in comparison. He need to become more accurate and make better decisions from the pocket. I don't want my QB running unless there is no other option.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunnie View Post
    Geno IS NOT Mike Vick ... His running is pedestrian in comparison. He need to become more accurate and make better decisions from the pocket. I don't want my QB running unless there is no other option.
    I agree. He's not Mike Vick. Thankfully.

He doesn't need to be an excellent runner. Being a decent runner gives him an extra dimension that makes defenses have to respect and plan for that aspect of his game. If he gains 400-500 yards a year both scrambling and with limited numbers of planned runs, it puts extra pressure on a defense, for an offensive wrinkle the Jets traditionally don't do well.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Geno's improvement against the Browns and Fins was certainly encouraging. I'm guessing that the Jets brass have seen enough improvement to suggest that they will go all in on Geno and focus on drafting offensive playmakers for him. My question is do they draft an additional qb in the second or third round as a fall back option in case Geno does not develop into a top tier qb ? Without an elite qb what are the chances of a team advancing beyond an honorable exit in the playoffs ... ?
    Here are the last ten Super Bowl winning quarterbacks over a period of time when the rules of football were adjusted to favor offensive football.

Super Bowl 38. Tom Brady (MVP), 3 TDs
    Super Bowl 39. Tom Brady, 2 TDs
    Super Bowl 40. Ben Roethlisberger, 0 TDs
    Super Bowl 41. Peyton Manning (MVP), 1 TD
    Super Bowl 42. Eli Manning (MVP), 2 TDs
    Super Bowl 43: Ben Roethlisberger, 1 TD
    Super Bowl 44: Drew Brees (MVP), 2 TDs
    Super Bowl 45: Aaron Rogers (MVP), 3TDs
    Super Bowl 46: Eli Manning (MVP), 1 TD
    Super Bowl 47: Joe Flacco (MVP), 3TDs

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    How many of those QBs were considered elite in their first year?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    You can be happy he wasnt a human turnover again but to say you loved what you saw????

He had 190 yards passing and 0 passing tds.

His ceiling is aaron brooks. We need to address the qb position with one of our 1st 3 picks in this draft.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    You can be happy he wasnt a human turnover again but to say you loved what you saw????

His ceiling is aaron brooks. We need to address the qb position with one of our 1st 3 picks in this draft.
    +1

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rbstern View Post
    How many of those QBs were considered elite in their first year?
    That is not my point. My point is the Jets waited four years for Mark Sanchez to develop into a legitimate QB. He showed glimmers early on ... enough to suggest that he might grow into the job, he did not. Geno has shown glimmers of hope, do the Jets brass give him him the starting gig or do they draft competition yearly and make Geno prove that he deserves the job uncontested i.e. attaining a consistent level of play against the the better teams in this league ?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    We have invested 16 games in geno and being that we arent high enough in the draft to get a blue chip qb, he gets the start again next year. But take a qb with potential in round 2 or 3.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    We have invested 16 games in geno and being that we arent high enough in the draft to get a blue chip qb, he gets the start again next year. But take a qb with potential in round 2 or 3.
    I'd he fine with this if the TC was an open competition for our starting QB.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    dont waste any picks on a QB.....bring in a vet to compete or just keep simms who in my opinion has a huge upside.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jets are not drafting another rookie to compete with Geno unless its Bridgewater, and that's not happening. Geno will have every opportunity to win the Job in training camp battling a Vet like Schaub.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

He also had 48 yards rushing and a rushing TD.

I saw him make one really bad decision the whole game. That's a nice improvement over the half-dozen or more he was making each game earlier in the season.

What would you have said Drew Brees' ceiling was when he was with the Chargers? Or Peyton Manning after his awful first year? No offense, but you don't have a crystal ball on Geno or any other QB.

Developing a QB in the NFL is a crapshoot. Franchise QBs like Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Drew Brees, and Ben Roethlisburger happen at a rate of 4 or 5 per decade, for the entire league. Considering about 12 QBs get drafted every year means there's less than a 5% chance of drafting and successfully developing one. It also takes a little time; guys who look good in their first year (like Roethlisburger and Luck) can easily reverse course and get worse (like RGIII did this year).

Very long odds. Casting guys aside after their first year, particularly when there has been clear improvement, makes the odds of developing a successful QB worse, not better.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    +1

Geno is a passer first and foremost. Human nature has many people immediately think of an athletic, black QB as a running QB, but that's not Geno. He is more Warren Moon than Randall Cunningham.

That said, he has shown the ability to run when necessary and be effective doing it. It adds another dimension to our offense that defenses must think about, and that opens up the passing game a little. If Geno can continue to make strides in the mental part of the game - quickly going through his progressions and options from Read 1 to Read 2 to Read 3, then decide whether to tuck and run or throw the ball away - we'll be in great shape.

The guy really has the physical tools to be a Top 10 NFL QB...he now needs two things - Experience and playmakers to throw to!

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like

in all seriousness, aside from their skin color, what makes Geno Smith similar is playing style to Aaron Brooks

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Aero View Post
    in all seriousness, aside from their skin color, what makes Geno Smith similar is playing style to Aaron Brooks
    Geno as a rookie? Yeah, I can see that. But as RB said the comparison is unfounded, as it doesn't account for Geno's ability to learn and improve. Was Brooks as dedicated to his craft as Geno is? What was his ability to maintain what he learned on the field and in the classroom? I have no idea, but until we see how Geno comes back in year 2, it's too early to establish a ceiling.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'd he fine with this if the TC was an open competition for our starting QB.
    I don't like open competitions at QB. First string QBs need as many reps as possible. Geno should get 80-90% of 1st team reps next TC

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenWave View Post
    Geno as a rookie? Yeah, I can see that. But as RB said the comparison is unfounded, as it doesn't account for Geno's ability to learn and improve. Was Brooks as dedicated to his craft as Geno is? What was his ability to maintain what he learned on the field and in the classroom? I have no idea, but until we see how Geno comes back in year 2, it's too early to establish a ceiling.
    Exactly, the idiot poster who put that out there does this crap all the time. Speaks in absolutes as if he knows anything more than anybody else. He doesn't know what the future holds, neither do i or anybody else

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thank God.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jets should commit to Geno in 2014, and surround him with playmakers and an upgraded OL. Then sign a veteran QB as backup. Someone that can fill in if Geno gets hurt or regresses.

In the draft...Jets should only focus somewhere in rounds 3-5 for a QB. And only if he's BPA on the Jets draft board. You still have Simms's potential that can be further developed. In TC-preseason Simms was much improved from the year before. With papa Phil working with Matt again this offseason...he could be even more improved.

Jets need to close the book on Geno one way or the other by 2015. So he needs to play in 2014 in order to have a much clearer picture on what direction Geno is heading. Is he a franchise QB for the NYJ or a backup?

If you can go 8-8 with Geno now...playing behind mediocre OL and sh!t for playmakers. What can he do in 2014...after another year of film study...coaching...practicing...some studs at WR-TE ...and some upgrades to the RB-OL units?

IMO...Jets need to find out in 2014.