Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Early evaluation of Geno Smith's Rookie Season

All Pro

Early evaluation of Geno Smith's Rookie Season

We've all seen Geno Smith for 16 games. I think now it's safe to start talking about what we have in Geno and what we can expect from him moving forward. Curious to know what you all think of him now that the season is over. Do you expect to see him start next season? Should we bring in Competition into training camp?

Personally I think Geno has all of the tools and flashed them in perfect circumstances(clean pocket, receivers running good routes). He can throw the ball on the rope and has mediocre to good accuracy when he steps into his throws. His mechanics need tons of work and Geno has been downright abysmal at times this season, very careless in taking care of the ball, not going through his progressions, sailing a lot of throws, and underthrowing a lot of deep balls due to poor mechanics. He's also displayed down right terrible decision making this season....usually in a spot where he feels like he has to make something happen and presses.....Geno had an avg start to his season and flashed in some games.....after the bye his play was downright poor but responded the last 4 games of the season by taking care of the football, exhibiting better decision making, and using his legs more(after admitting to forcing himself to stay in the pocket).....

A big thing that makes me intrigued by Geno's development moving forward is his moxie. I think he has that "it" factor to play and deliver in NY. He's a hard worker, he's answered every challenge of adversity he's faced this season, and above all he's a competitor with multiple game winning drives this season. I know he will work extremely hard this off-season and we will see a much more controlled and improved Geno in year 2.....I still think we need to bring in some competition to training camp, preferably in the form of a Vet FA signing......I do think Geno will be ready to earn the job in next year's training camp....

I think it took some time for Geno to actually trust his receivers on the timing routes - knowing when and where they were gonna be. Once he practiced them enough with a few competent receivers we started to see some improvement - the final 4 weeks of the season. The West coast offense is all about timing and trust and patterns. Also I like his scrambling ability - kind of like an Aaron Rogers. Geno can almost get a first down on every scramble when he leaves early enough. Geno is more physically talented than I though he was. He should be a keeper.

He has 3 areas that need improvement:

1) needs to shorten his windmill delivery, especially on the intermediate out routes. His arm is strong enough that he does not need to wind up to deliver the throw

2) needs to be aware of the rush and learn to step up rather than those around-the-world rollouts to the outside.

3) needs to learn how to look-off LB's and DB's. Even if he is always going to his primary receiver, look-off the defenders.

A good, disciplinarian QB coach could easily improve those 3 areas.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by AugustWest View Post
    He has 3 areas that need improvement:

1) needs to shorten his windmill delivery, especially on the intermediate out routes. His arm is strong enough that he does not need to wind up to deliver the throw

2) needs to be aware of the rush and learn to step up rather than those around-the-world rollouts to the outside.

3) needs to learn how to look-off LB's and DB's. Even if he is always going to his primary receiver, look-off the defenders.

A good, disciplinarian QB coach could easily improve those 3 areas.
    He needs some mechanics work with a QB guru this offseason....

Quote Originally Posted by carlito1171 View Post
    He needs some mechanics work with a QB guru this offseason....
    Agreed. I think he showed a lot of improvement in the last 4 games as far as being more decisive, looking off defenders and making sound decisions. His footwork still needs a ton of work, which would also improve his accuracy. Footwork should be comparatively easier to fix, he just needs to get his practice reps in.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Maury77 View Post
    His footwork still needs a ton of work, which would also improve his accuracy. Footwork should be comparatively easier to fix, he just needs to get his practice reps in.
    Couldn't agree more. His footwork, if improved, can improve so much of his game. As you mention, accuracy is certainly at the top of that list. Geno fights his footwork a lot, needing to back pedal or flush the pocket to feel comfortable. This causes major issues with accuarcy and timing. Once NFL footwork becomes second nature, his accuary will become more consistant. There was a lot of transition from his WVau offense to an NFL offense, and the footwork is a major, but over looked part of that.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

Hall Of Fame
    Founding JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by HawkeyeJet View Post
    Couldn't agree more. His footwork, if improved, can improve so much of his game. As you mention, accuracy is certainly at the top of that list. Geno fights his footwork a lot, needing to back pedal or flush the pocket to feel comfortable. This causes major issues with accuarcy and timing. Once NFL footwork becomes second nature, his accuary will become more consistant. There was a lot of transition from his WVau offense to an NFL offense, and the footwork is a major, but over looked part of that.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2
    And he needs to stop kicking his leg loke a Clydesdale horse cause teams figure the counts early on!

He needs competition. I think Matt Shaub would be a good pick up. He's pretty good when he gets to lean on a good running game, which the Texans did not have this year.

I should also add he needs to improve his vision. There were a few read option plays this if he kept the ball he would of had big gains.
    Last edited by bobby2times; 12-30-2013 at 11:04 PM.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Geno showed me that he has the tools and mental toughness to be given a 2nd season, period.

This isn't a Carolina situation of "ahhhh, this kid Clausen pretty much sucks and we have the 1st overall pick in the draft...so let's take Cam"

Was Geno inconsistent? You bet your ass.

But something I'll definitely say, he had WAY less talent around him as a rookie than Sanchez did even in his 4th season as a starter...and still looked more impressive.

There was none of this head shaking, arms flailing up in the f*cking air, sad puppy dog look every time a mistake was made.

He immediately put it behind him and didn't seemingly go into a shell.

He bounced back, made no excuses and continued to improve.

None of this "We" have to get better bullsh*t. None of this "ahhh, sometimes the ball doesn't bounce your way" bullsh*t.

He's owned up to all of his mistakes.

I have the utmost confidence that this kid is willing to correct his flaws and strive to get better as a QB.

Get him some weapons and this team could make serious noise next year.
    Last edited by Untouchable; 12-30-2013 at 11:06 PM.

I've said it countless times but he absolutely has to stop taking 7 step drop backs (which turn into 10-15 step drop backs)... He missed countless 'free runners' and had little awareness, which means he kept reeling backward, instead of stepping back into his throw. This is my number 1 concern and would have stopped so many 3rd and long situations (which he surprisingly converted a lot of in the first few weeks).

Also, I think the rollouts to his right are awful playcalls, I don't want to see them more than once or twice a game. It leaves him in a position to run or throw back across his body which he's below average to absolutely awful on at this point...

Quote Originally Posted by Maury77 View Post
    Agreed. I think he showed a lot of improvement in the last 4 games as far as being more decisive, looking off defenders and making sound decisions. His footwork still needs a ton of work, which would also improve his accuracy. Footwork should be comparatively easier to fix, he just needs to get his practice reps in.

Geno had more then 1500 game reps as a 3 year starter at W.Virginia. Probably none of them behind center. There were no 3-5 step drops that he needed to time with his receivers' routes. He was not ready to operate an NFL offense. It certainly was one of the reasons why he fell out of the 1st round of the draft.

MM-Lee have been very beneficial in helping Geno overcome his lack of experience taking snaps behind center. Lee Working with the struggling Geno in transitioning from his 3-5 step drops fluidly into his stance and throwing mechanics. Then finishing his throws at the proper release point. And MM tailoring his WCO with a lot more shotgun snaps to give Geno somewhat of a comfort zone to operate the offense. Allowing him to concentrate more on attacking the defense and less thinking about implementing MM's version of the WCO.

To make matters worse. Geno has had long stretches of the season without Kerley-Holmes-Winslow. It's not a coincidence that when all three came back at the same time for these last four games. Geno's play picked up considerably from his poor performances from the previous quarter.

IMO...the Jets will commit to Geno in 2014, and surround him with playmakers and an upgraded OL. Then sign a veteran QB as backup.

As a matter of fact...that's why I think Idzik gave Rex just a 1 year extension. To give Rex-MM-Lee one more year to close the books one way or the other on Geno for QB NYJ...in 2015 and beyond. If Idzik is convinced Geno is the franchise QB...then Rex-CS gets a long term extension. If Geno fails...Idzik will use a 2015 #1-2 pick for another QB prospect. And put the new QB into the hands of another HC-CS to develop.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by bobby2times View Post
    He needs competition. I think Matt Shaub would be a good pick up. He's pretty good when he gets to lean on a good running game, which the Texans did not have this year.

I should also add he needs to improve his vision. There were a few read option plays this if he kept the ball he would of had big gains.
    I wouldn't mind signing Schaub, Shaun Hill, Matt Moore, Jason Campbell or Kyle Orton(potential cap casualty). This is the type of signing we need to make. Drafting another QB high would be a huge mistake...

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenReaper View Post
    Geno had more then 1500 game reps as a 3 year starter at W.Virginia. Probably none of them behind center. There were no 3-5 step drops that he needed to time with his receivers' routes. He was not ready to operate an NFL offense. It certainly was one of the reasons why he fell out of the 1st round of the draft.

MM-Lee have been very beneficial in helping Geno overcome his lack of experience taking snaps behind center. Lee Working with the struggling Geno in transitioning from his 3-5 step drops fluidly into his stance and throwing mechanics. Then finishing his throws at the proper release point. And MM tailoring his WCO with a lot more shotgun snaps to give Geno somewhat of a comfort zone to operate the offense. Allowing him to concentrate more on attacking the defense and less thinking about implementing MM's version of the WCO.

To make matters worse. Geno has had long stretches of the season without Kerley-Holmes-Winslow. It's not a coincidence that when all three came back at the same time for these last four games. Geno's play picked up considerably from his poor performances from the previous quarter.

IMO...the Jets will commit to Geno in 2014, and surround him with playmakers and an upgraded OL. Then sign a veteran QB as backup.

As a matter of fact...that's why I think Idzik gave Rex just a 1 year extension. To give Rex-MM-Lee one more year to close the books one way or the other on Geno for QB NYJ...in 2015 and beyond. If Idzik is convinced Geno is the franchise QB...then Rex-CS gets a long term extension. If Geno fails...Idzik will use a 2015 #1-2 pick for another QB prospect. And put the new QB into the hands of another HC-CS to develop.
    BINGO!

Agreed on all points. The great thing for Geno this offseason is that he can start focusing right away on improving his game. Last offseason, he had to focus on improving his draft stock.

Geno can make every throw. He can learn to take snaps under center in off season. He can fix his footwork. He has shown his legs can benefit him and his team. 8-8 was a great year for the Jets with him taking almost every snap as a rookie. He learned from his mistakes. I have no idea what he can become, but I wouldn't draft a QB high. We at least have some hope going into next season and I think we will compete for a WC.

I think Geno has potential. He has the arm strength and can make all the throws. He seems very mature and is a hard worker and loves football. He also seems mentally tough. You can't teach natural ability and from all accounts he has a strong work ethic. I think he can be developed into a very solid NFL QB. I think with a good offseason he will be much better next yr, along with better talent on O. He definitely improved towards the end of the yr. I would still sign a vet QB back-up though and maybe draft a QB prospects in rounds 5-7.

As a matter of fact...that's why I think Idzik gave Rex just a 1 year extension.
    Two year:
    http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/fo...icle-1.1561954

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Toooon View Post
    His contract already ran through 2014.

It's a 1 year extension.

Quote Originally Posted by Toooon View Post
    Rex is already under contract through 2014...plus one year extension = extended through 2015.

Quote from the article...

" Jets are willing to give Ryan only a one-year extension, and that the coach is resigned to the fact that he won’t get a deal that goes beyond 2015 "

Quote Originally Posted by bobby2times View Post

Matt Shaub is 10 million against the cap why would they cut him? why? please stop posting about shuab
    Right now everything I read and see tells me Geno is Mark 2.0 not a bad thing but unless this kid makes a huge jump you might take a flyer on a qb that should have gone in round 1 in round 2 or 3 as a possible replacement. You know one of those qbs are going to slide